The Walking Dead The Walking Dead Season 4 Episode 7 "Dead Weight" Discussion Thread

Did anyone else notice some Rick and Shane parallels between those two guys who were in command after Martinez or was it just me?

totally saw that too. Haha the Shane-guy even looked kinda like Shane. :up:

Decent episode. The Governor's true colors surface again. The best part of this episode was seeing the teaser for next week's. It looks epic.

maybe the rat feeder is connected to the hunters?its to easy to be lizzy since she was caring about the walkers she is too obvious.still think bob stookley is shady as hell connected to someone if not governor.

I want to know who killed all the people in that other camp. At first, I thought they were implying that the Governor did it, but if so, where did he stash all the supplies?

I'm wondering if there is a new enemy lurking out there somewhere; someone just as bad as the Gov if not worse.

The best line on talking dead was from the guy that emailed "The governor said his name was Brian instead of Phillip because Phillip has 2 I's." lol.

The Governor is still evil but he has a soft spot for kids and women who fall for him. That much seems obvious.

I want to know who killed all the people in that other camp. At first, I thought they were implying that the Governor did it, but if so, where did he stash all the supplies?

I'm wondering if there is a new enemy lurking out there somewhere; someone just as bad as the Gov if not worse.

Negan?

Did anyone else notice some Rick and Shane parallels between those two guys who were in command after Martinez or was it just me?

Yeah, when the one brother started shooting his mouth off at the group I said, "Oh, and they have a Shane!"

They were army brothers not real brothers were they ? That was my thinking seeing how cool was the "tank driver" after the death of "the other guy".
The last two episodes the Gov was more like Rick, he is just more easy with the killings.

The Governor, at least on the show, has always been portrayed as a flip side of the coin to Rick, IMO.

I think Philip really does believe he's doing what he needs to do to protect his people, the same as Rick does, Philip just does things Rick wouldn't do in the name of it, like murdering people, raiding other groups for supplies, etc.

Philip's also more mentally unstable, but Rick was for a while too, though I think Rick came back from it and Philip's just more of a psychopath.

Considering he was abused by his father, lost his wife before the apocalypse, etc., I'd bet Philip's always had issues, though he probably didn't show them before. He specifically definitely has, um, anger management issues (massacring his whole Woodbury Army), which fits with someone with an abusive childhood and anger at having lost his family.

Losing Penny obviously unraveled him more. And I think power goes to his head.

The Governor, at least on the show, has always been portrayed as a flip side of the coin to Rick, IMO.

I think Philip really does believe he's doing what he needs to do to protect his people, the same as Rick does, Philip just does things Rick wouldn't do in the name of it, like murdering people, raiding other groups for supplies, etc.

Philip's also more mentally unstable, but Rick was for a while too, though I think Rick came back from it and Philip's just more of a psychopath.

Considering he was abused by his father, lost his wife before the apocalypse, etc., I'd bet Philip's always had issues, though he probably didn't show them before. He specifically definitely has, um, anger management issues (massacring his whole Woodbury Army), which fits with someone with an abusive childhood and anger at having lost his family.

Losing Penny obviously unraveled him more. And I think power goes to his head.

Yeah, I see Philip as a guy who was probably always close to snapping before the apocalypse. But given that there was a society and laws and all of that, he never crossed that line. But now that there is no law, no government, etc., he sees very little holding him back. There is some small sense of morality or civic duty there in that he believes what he's doing is essentially "good" and I guess that's what keeps him from just turning into a full-on serial killer. But I think he enjoys the killing at least on some level; he seems addicted to it (in the cabin, it appeared as if killing those zombies awakened a primal desire in him). If he loses this group of people, he'll probably just turn into an absolute psychopath an murder anyone he comes across.

But I think he enjoys the killing at least on some level

I think he does too. He always seems....excessive with the head-bashing. In that empty building where he was getting his Michael Myers on stalking Andrea last season, he killed one walker with a shovel and just kept bashing its head with the shovel, way more times than was necessary in this creepy, robotic way, like he was just doing it because he enjoyed it.

Even the poor National Guard guy in his first episode he finished off by bashing his head in with his rifle butt. And the poor injured Guardsmen whose head ended up in Phil's aquarium tank.

And the fact that he let Pete from last episode turn into a walker and has him chained underwater and stands at the lake and stares at him.

Seriously, what is with his "zombies in water" fetish? It's like evolving serial killers starting out keeping dead animals in their fridge.

Heh, yeah I didn't even think about the water thing. I think he really gets off on it because it allows him to control the undead; he can study them and they are powerless to do anything. He is captivated by that power.

I have to say, I think it's really low the way he lets people become walkers. Merle, then Pete. Even lower with Pete because at least Merle was trying to kill him.

I just feel like it violates some honor code of the zombie apocalypse. Like you don't let someone end up like that. Much less keep them chained underwater so you can stare at them and get your creepy rocks off.

I just think it shows a callousness and lack of respect for life on his part.

Agreed, it's pretty sick. I wonder, if he survives this week, which main character will be his next submerged walker? I'm sure he'd want to keep at least one of them as a trophy.

He'd want Walker!Michonne, definitely. I kind of see him filling up the whole lake with everyone at the prison if he could.

Haha, YES. I want to see a whole lake full of walkers.

Side note, Herschel needs to become a walker. Get it? Herschel Walker?

I see alot of people online complaining about these past two episodes for reasons like The Governor is basically at the same place as he was when last season ended.

I call bull****. I don't see how anyone who has actually watched the show can say that. Just because he's in a leadership role again and preparing to take out our guys doesn't mean he's the same guy he was before. He's got a different motivation. Before he merely wanted vengeance and blood. He didn't want the prison. He just wanted the people in the prison dead. He had the comfort and safety of Woodbury for his people, but he didn't care about those people, not after he had lost his (already dead) daughter. When those people saw who he was and what he wanted, and wanted out, he gunned them all down without thought.

Now, he's a different man. He's aware of the dangers of forming connections, of caring about people. He just wanted to walk until he died after slaughtering his people, but then he met the family. He still had his walls up, and wanted to get away from them before he was baited into caring for others again, and being forced to protect those he cares about. He comes back into contact with Martinez, who now stands as both a reminder of his past (and thus a threat to his present) and weak leadership that could threaten Meghan/Lilly/Tara. Offering to share leadership, 50/50? You're not a fit leader, you're out. Pete, with his hesitance to take from others to protect his own? He's a weak leader, and now he's out. Now he's at the top of the heap, he's in charge. He's in a position he thrived on once before, but now could do without if there was someone worthy in place. But he needs to protect his new family, and he can't do that out in the open, mostly unprotected. He's not in Woodbury anymore. He needs sanctuary. That's where the prison comes in. A place that he once disregarded is now his only hope.

When he showed up at the prison the last time, he was more or less saying "I'm here to kill your people". This time he's saying "I'm here to save mine." The villain is not that different from the hero. There's a different motivation there now. I think it's very well done on the part of the writers. But you know... I guess if none of the main characters are there, it's an epic fail or something. :whatever:

yeah could be a new threat out there

I see alot of people online complaining about these past two episodes for reasons like The Governor is basically at the same place as he was when last season ended.

I call bull****. I don't see how anyone who has actually watched the show can say that. Just because he's in a leadership role again and preparing to take out our guys doesn't mean he's the same guy he was before. He's got a different motivation. Before he merely wanted vengeance and blood. He didn't want the prison. He just wanted the people in the prison dead. He had the comfort and safety of Woodbury for his people, but he didn't care about those people, not after he had lost his (already dead) daughter. When those people saw who he was and what he wanted, and wanted out, he gunned them all down without thought.

Now, he's a different man. He's aware of the dangers of forming connections, of caring about people. He just wanted to walk until he died after slaughtering his people, but then he met the family. He still had his walls up, and wanted to get away from them before he was baited into caring for others again, and being forced to protect those he cares about. He comes back into contact with Martinez, who now stands as both a reminder of his past (and thus a threat to his present) and weak leadership that could threaten Meghan/Lilly/Tara. Offering to share leadership, 50/50? You're not a fit leader, you're out. Pete, with his hesitance to take from others to protect his own? He's a weak leader, and now he's out. Now he's at the top of the heap, he's in charge. He's in a position he thrived on once before, but now could do without if there was someone worthy in place. But he needs to protect his new family, and he can't do that out in the open, mostly unprotected. He's not in Woodbury anymore. He needs sanctuary. That's where the prison comes in. A place that he once disregarded is now his only hope.

When he showed up at the prison the last time, he was more or less saying "I'm here to kill your people". This time he's saying "I'm here to save mine." The villain is not that different from the hero. There's a different motivation there now. I think it's very well done on the part of the writers. But you know... I guess if none of the main characters are there, it's an epic fail or something. :whatever:

I agree.

It's actually making me more conflicted about the battle than I would have been if it happened in its entirety in the last season's finale.

I'm not really in a hurry for Philip to die, to be honest, and not just because Morrissey is a boss.

I'm kinda hoping the Gov storms the prison and takes it over. I don't want the heroes all to die of course--I hope most of them escape--but I think that would set up an interesting conflict for the second half of this season. Should Rick and the others attempt to win back the prison? Is there really any point to it now other than revenge? Or should they just move on? And can the Governor let them go? If Michonne survives (and I hope she does), will the Governor be content to let her escape? Or will the prison group become the hunted?

Much potential and possibilities for the 2nd half of the season!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"