The Walking Dead The Walking Dead Season 6, Episode 16 "Last Day on Earth" Discussion Thread

Deanna was a pretty major character and she died in season six. Granted, she was not part of the core group and she is major more in terms of world building/pushing the story forward, but she is major none the less.

Deanna was not a major character, give me a break.

Deanna was not a major character, give me a break.

Of course she is. The Alexandria Safe Zone is likely to be the setting of the show throughout the rest of its run. Deanna is the mastermind behind it. Her bringing Rick into the community opened up the rest of the world and the other communities (Hilltop, The Kingdom, the Saviors, etc) to him. Her death thrust Rick into the leadership role within the Safe Zone and has laid the stage for his conflict with Negan. She may not have been a major character in terms of one we spent much time with or got to know very well, but her impact on the narrative is greater than any character introduced since The Governor.

1? How about 3... even 4 if you want to count Glenns ******** 2nd fakout...

dumpster...

glenn part 2 (not a cliffhanger)

and ...JUST LAST ****ING EPISODE WITH DARYL.

good grief this show.

You right, you right.

The constant cliffhangers and teases are just played out and annoying at this point. And completely unecessary.

I think they know who is dead. They just were to scared to reveal who in fear of losing viewers and interest. Keeping us guessing is just a poor result of a bad creative decision. I don't believe this decision was made to be intended to keep us guessing. I think they did it out of fear.

Of that group, there is only one character at risk who has a fandom dedicated/crazy enough to quit the show over his death. Sure, a few others are ones people really care about (see Glenn earlier this season).

Of course she is. The Alexandria Safe Zone is likely to be the setting of the show throughout the rest of its run. Deanna is the mastermind behind it. Her bringing Rick into the community opened up the rest of the world and the other communities (Hilltop, The Kingdom, the Saviors, etc) to him. Her death thrust Rick into the leadership role within the Safe Zone and has laid the stage for his conflict with Negan. She may not have been a major character in terms of one we spent much time with or got to know very well, but her impact on the narrative is greater than any character introduced since The Governor.

Don't agree. Deanna had as much impact on the narrative as Jessie and her children meaning it was very minuscule. Her rushed so called death, which was supposedly her being devoured by a horde of walkers, didn't resonate with me. It happened off camera, which is this shows MO, in order to manipulate it's viewers into thinking she died. Only to show up again two months later in the story wandering outside the ASZ and into the woods as a walker, who looked like she just recently turned.

I agree. I think Deanna's death was hardly impactful. The last impactful death we got was probably Beth at this point.

Jessie and her kids dying was far more of a ******** move than this episode imo. Unless they kill Aaron/Eugene/Rosita. In which case this is a ******** move too.

Double Toasted posted their spoiler talk for last night's episode.

Aside from the cliffhanger, it was a perfect finale.
All things considered, I thought it was still stronger than most, if not all of the TWD finales that came before it.

http://screenrant.com/walking-dead-negan-finale-cliffhanger/

This is an article making the point that The Walking Dead has "lost it's teeth"

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think this show ever had teeth. If we look at the progression of how they kill off their characters, it's very rarely before their time. The first three seasons only ever killed characters I didnt like/didn't care about or villains which is to be expected (Dale, Shane, T Dawg, Lori, Andrea, Merle). Then in season 4, we had the death of Herschel (who was crippled and would slow the story down) and then in S5 Beth and Bob and Noah who again, many people I know didn't care too much about. The saddest death so far in my opinion has been Tyrese.

This isn't Game of Thrones. There has never been a [BLACKOUT]Ned Stark/Red Wedding[/BLACKOUT] level character kill in my opinion. Killing off characters in a shocking OMGWTF sort of way is GoT's thing and they do it way way better.

Walking Dead is just a cool zombie survival action show where we care for and trust a certain core group of characters to pull through despite tremendous odds. This episode is not a dealbreaker for me.

Last edited:
Copout Who Shot JR ending.
screen-shot-2015-04-22-at-164158-1024x631.png

I hope Negan beat the crap out of Rick. That would give me so much joy

Agreed, which makes the cliffhanger THAT much more frustrating for me.

Especially when the setup would be so simple:

Negan does the eenie, meanie bit, finally landing on Glenn. We get a reaction shot of Glenn. Maggie screams "NO!", but two Saviors hold her down.

NEGAN: Anybody moves, anybody says anything, cut the boy’s other eye out and feed it to his father.

Negan's dialogue is inter-cut with shots of the characters.

(Reaction shot of Rick in total shock. Reaction shot of Carl, in total panic, looking back at Rick.)

NEGAN: You can breathe, you can blink...

(Reaction shot of Abraham, who is being restrained)

NEGAN: You can cry....

(Shot of Maggie still struggling to get free. Shot of Glenn looking up at Negan, petrified)

NEGAN: Hell...you're all going to be doing that..

(We then see the same POV of Negan swinging the bat just as we did before.)

(Closeup of Maggie, in slow motion, giving a primal scream)

(POV of Negan)

NEGAN: Dang! Taking it like a champ!

(Negan goes for another blow, still in the POV perspective. The screen goes black, as we hear the wacks of the bat, and the screams of Glenn's friends. Credits).

Am I wrong, or would that not have been a vastly superior ending? It would take the exact same amount of time, and would have been much more dramatic, and satisfying a cliffhanger.

Especially when the setup would be so simple:

Negan does the eenie, meanie bit, finally landing on Glenn. We get a reaction shot of Glenn. Maggie screams "NO!", but two Saviors hold her down.

NEGAN: Anybody moves, anybody says anything, cut the boy’s other eye out and feed it to his father.

Negan's dialogue is inter-cut with shots of the characters.

(Reaction shot of Rick in total shock. Reaction shot of Carl, in total panic, looking back at Rick.)

NEGAN: You can breathe, you can blink...

(Reaction shot of Abraham, who is being restrained)

NEGAN: You can cry....

(Shot of Maggie still struggling to get free. Shot of Glenn looking up at Negan, petrified)

NEGAN: Hell...you're all going to be doing that..

(We then see the same POV of Negan swinging the bat just as we did before.)

(Closeup of Maggie, in slow motion, giving a primal scream)

(POV of Negan)

NEGAN: Dang! Taking it like a champ!

(Negan goes for another blow, still in the POV perspective. The screen goes black, as we hear the wacks of the bat, and the screams of Glenn's friends. Credits).

Am I wrong, or would that not have been a vastly superior ending? It would take the exact same amount of time, and would have been much more dramatic, and satisfying a cliffhanger.

There's a panel in the comic books of Lucille being pointed at Glenn when Negan says "It." Why not just replicate that panel (with whomever is being killed off in the series) before getting into the POV?

Would have been THAT easy.

So ... I decided to rewatch the finale, and I have an observation:

Obviously we all know about the POV shot at the end of the episode. Welp. The episode opens on a POV shot as well (with one of the characters who was captured by Dwight's group, it seems). That same POV shot is shown a couple of times throughout the episode, too. Perhaps that is a hint on who got the bat?

I might be giving too much credit to the writers for doing that, but whatever. If those POV shots were intentional, then the possibilities are Glenn, Daryl, Michonne, and Rosita.

i thought the same thing... and the POVs you are mentioning seem to be from the person in the back... and the last person to exit it? Glenn.

Am I the only one who actually liked the cliffhanger? I mean it was something different and exciting. (BTW hoping it's not Rick otherwise I may retire that costume I play at HvZ games in College)

So ... I decided to rewatch the finale, and I have an observation:

Obviously we all know about the POV shot at the end of the episode. Welp. The episode opens on a POV shot as well (with one of the characters who was captured by Dwight's group, it seems). That same POV shot is shown a couple of times throughout the episode, too. Perhaps that is a hint on who got the bat?

I might be giving too much credit to the writers for doing that, but whatever. If those POV shots were intentional, then the possibilities are Glenn, Daryl, Michonne, and Rosita.

If that's the case, then it's Glenn, you can see Daryl's head momentarily in one of the shots and Glenn's the last to exit.

Maybe they were doing it intentionally.

i thought the same thing... and the POVs you are mentioning seem to be from the person in the back... and the last person to exit it? Glenn.

If that's the case, then it's Glenn, you can see Daryl's head momentarily in one of the shots and Glenn's the last to exit.

Maybe they were doing it intentionally.

it's funny realizing someone has you on ignore :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"