The Walking Dead Season 6, Episode 16 "Last Day on Earth" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead' started by Kane52630, Mar 28, 2016.

1. TheDreamMaster The Night He Came Home...

I'm surprised no one mentioned that the leaked audio, the screams were much more audible. They really muffled them in the actual episode.

2. Reek _____

we talked about it a bit in the general stuff and thangs thread

3. Broseph44 Witness Me

You're right I notice that

4. X-Ray Ippiki-ookami

That was a good episode with a crappy ending. Rick looked worse than Maggie he was so defeated. Maybe that's what the actor was referring to when he said he got somewhat sick from reading it. The actor who threw his script probably hated the ending too.

5. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

Great episode with a very claustrophobic feel. You could really feel the walls closing in on team Rick.

As for the cliffhanger, it didn't bother me on a level of say, last season's finale of Game of Thrones.

That is, as long as whoever gets it makes sense in terms of its repercussions for next season. It has to really strike at the heart of the team and possibly tear them apart, so in that sense Maggie, Michonne or Glenn would make the most sense. Then Daryl and Abraham after them.

If it's Rosita, Aaron, Eugene or Sasha then I'm afraid that would be an utter cop out, as their characters just don't have enough value right now to warrant such a cliffhanger.

6. Reek _____

In term of repercussions for next season... it really just doesn't even matter who it is now.

Who cares? why should we?

It really could be Rick or Carl... and even then... " yea yea so what... just get JDM back on screen to save your show. ****ing morons."

7. Kane52630 XO User

Aside from the cliffhanger, it was a perfect finale.

8. kvz5 HBIC

I'm just glad I was spoiled that they will do a cliffhanger. I think I would've been more angry if I didn't know that in advance. Cliffhanger aside, I loved how they shot that last scene from the POV of the one that was being hit. Especially the sound effects. And then when the person's vision finally blacked out... It made me nauseous. :waa:

So, are there like already Tumblr theories on who it is based on the angle and such? I didn't get the chance to listen to the leaked audio and I couldn't find it but from what I've read, it seems like [blackout]Maggie was heard screaming "Glenn!"[/blackout] ?

#208 kvz5, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  9. Kane52630 XO User

Another positive about this episode...Trevor f***** Philips.

10. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Agreed :up:

11. kvz5 HBIC

BTW, who were the people that Morgan and Carol met? I'm assuming they're from the comics, right?

12. O_B_Juan Your only hope

Watch the first episode of next season be Morgan and Carol hanging around the Kingdom's camp and we will have to wait until the second show to find out who dies.

13. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

I just realized this was the first season since season one not to kill of any major characters. Not counting the POV copout, of course.

14. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Don't put it past them.

I hate this so much. What makes that moment so memorable and iconic is how it's done in those short moments. The impact of it is totally ruined when you stretch that out. It totally defeats the purpose of the entire idea of it. You can't stretch out someone's death like that in that way over six months. It would have been so perfect to end a season. To end it on such a terrible feeling. It could have been one of the greatest finale's ever on that moment alone. But nope. They wimped out like this show does often.

Here's my cynical reason why they did this. They were afraid they would lose a lot of viewers for next season if they showed it because it's a beloved character. So it just gives incentive to create a lot of buzz and intrigue for as many people to watch the premiere as possible. The thing is, I think this will backfire. People would have watched anyway if they killed the person in this finale because it's just so ****ing good.

If that's the case it just shows how they don't have the confidence of this story as they think. They made a decision out of fear and didn't deliver on a promise that they themselves were building up. That's pretty telling of a direction of where this show is going to me. They take half measures. This show has for the most part.

I may just watch the premiere and if that doesn't impress me, I'm done with this show. It sucks, because Morgan as Negan was terrific but with something like this gives hints that they may just **** up another great storyline like they did with the Prison/Woodbury. The moment I was waiting for the most this season and where this show would have gotten so much better could be the moment where I ****ing stop watching. That shouldn't happen.

Yeah I agree, that was probably the most noticeably great part of this whole show's soundtrack right up there with the pilot's score.

#214 Doctor Jones, Apr 4, 2016
  15. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

People from The Kingdom, Ezekiel's people. They're one of the other communities who are under threat of Negan like The Hilltop.

16. O_B_Juan Your only hope

Do you think they shot or will shoot multiple characters deaths by Lucille just to keep us guessing?

17. BatsDC Side-Kicker

Surely we'll all find out when somebody doesn't show up for filming when they ramp up production on the next season? There's a pretty avid community who keep track of who is on set and isn't over on the SpoilTheDead site

18. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

I think they know who is dead. They just were to scared to reveal who in fear of losing viewers and interest. Keeping us guessing is just a poor result of a bad creative decision. I don't believe this decision was made to be intended to keep us guessing. I think they did it out of fear.

19. Kane52630 XO User

Same here. I feel like if they did show who died people's interest would be just as much if not more for season 7.

20. Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

Deanna was a pretty major character and she died in season six. Granted, she was not part of the core group and she is major more in terms of world building/pushing the story forward, but she is major none the less.

21. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

True. You could say the same for Jessie as well but I was thinking more in terms of core character deaths (Shane in season 2, Andrea in season 3, Hershel in season 4, Beth in season 5, etc.)

22. I'm Venom "Hi, honey..."

They did this precisely so they could get people talking, but as you see, it has backfired completely. The conversation is dominated by how stupid that cliffhanger was. You could've had a slow zoom-out after the POV shot to reveal the body, had Negan do his "ta-ta" routine, and have Rick and the others staring at the corpse in half-revulsion, half-sadness, and people would've ate that up. They made a point to show the POV shots since the beginning, and the only people in there were Daryl and Glenn. If not then what was the whole point of the POV they gave us from those characters throughout the episode? I understand it's TV, I get you need to keep up the suspense and pique my interest so I keep watching. You had that. Even after this, it's not like I won't stop watching, just feel disappointed. It should be Glenn, but I'll take Abraham. He has been around for a spell, plus we've gone through all the development he can get. And Denise took his death so he's probably going to take someone else's. Like how Hershel took Tyrese's, so he had to go another way. Aaron would be a complete copout. And they forecast Abe's death by a) hamming up that Eugene would die and b) having him talk about babies with Sasha.

23. The Apocalypse Registered

I'm with you on this. Nothing drives a show like a great villain and people would still tune in to see the group get revenge.

24. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

It backfires. Given how great Negan and Morgan's performance was here, coupled with the death, it would have ABSOLUTELY retained interest if not more so because everyone would have been talking for months. This would have topped The Red Wedding. The internet would have lit on fire. They half assed it. They gave us one thing to take away another when they thought they were doing something clever. They just didn't seem confident with their decision making and that's just a bad sign.

This is just infuriating. Of course this show manages to take a perfect classic moment from the comic and **** it up.

Think how perfect it would have been when after Negan kills this character, he and the Saviors all leave with the body's head smashed in front of them while Rick and the group are still in shock still kneeling. Would have been a great wide shot. It would have been jaw dropping.

#224 Doctor Jones, Apr 4, 2016
  25. kvz5 HBIC

Thank you! :up:

I'm fine with Abe as well. Another point for him I think is that he's one of the few that can withstand a blow and still manage to look back up to Negan. Daryl could do that too but he's been shot and looks worse for wear already. Glenn and maybe Michonne could as well but I'm not convinced that Michonne is dying just yet... Maggie, Rosita, Eugene, Sasha, Aaron, and Carl can't do that. Rick's not dying. So it's really down to Glenn and Abraham for me.

#225 kvz5, Apr 4, 2016