The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics' started by Edd Extraordinaire, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike_x1 Get off my bandwagon!

Based on what I've read in this thread, I've ordered the first TPB of The Walking Dead, and I'll order the rest if I like it.

Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of each volume? Just so I know what I'm getting into.

2. MyPokerShirt Registered

v1 (the best volume) Rick Grimes wakes up in a hospital and makes his way out into the world. He finds everything's zombified and heads out to find his wife and kid, only to stumble upon them and their camp on the way to Atlanta. She's been looked after by his best friend Shane. Drama/ zombies/death ensues at and around their camp.

I started to write out synopses for v2, v3 etc but I think that'd be spoiling it a bit. The ending of one leads onto another. Basically v2 is Rick's group of people roaming around, characters die and new ones are found. v3 and v4 is more about the drama of their life once they think they've found somewhere to live permanently.
    v4's a bit of a weak link but i've been downloading the issues to v5 and can't wait to have the collected edition :up:

3. Spike_x1 Get off my bandwagon!

Thanks a lot. Sounds like I'm in for a treat.

4. Edd Extraordinaire Registered

The first paperback was AMAZING. However, since then the story is good, but the art just sucked ass.

5. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

The art is fantastic, what the hell are you talking about?

6. Kable24 Member of the NRA

The art isn't fantastic. It does indeed suck, but the story makes up for it and I know I got used to the art. The zombies look cool, but the living people aren't so great.

7. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

I love the art on the book, go figure.

8. MyPokerShirt Registered

The art on the first book was the best seeing as there have been odd moments where it's sucked since, but mostly it's very good, kicking the ass of all other zombie comics, colour or no colour. It's due to the change in artist and Kirkman's dreary settings. Having a prison as the main background setting for 2 1/2 volumes can't be too fun for the artist in question.

9. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Tony Moore was great and Adlard has done a good job keeping up with the overall style of the book.

10. MyPokerShirt Registered

He has. But I still think my point is valid. Don't get me wrong, I love the book more than anybody and can't wait til volume 5 comes out, I've been downloading the issues and itsa doozey. But it hasn't set my world alight. And volume one was the best (it's the cheapest too! hint, hint, anyone that's not read it..)

11. Edd Extraordinaire Registered

After the first TPB? No way. It got so bad it was ridiculous. I did hear something about the original artist returning. Did that happen? I've been out of the loop for a while.

12. Edd Extraordinaire Registered

But Kirkman keeps it going.

13. Elijya Registered

I did like Tony Moore better, but I would hardly call Charlie Adlard terrible

14. Not Jake Registered

I've read the first two trades and I think Adlard's art is worse but not bad by any means.:huh:

Is Kirkman ever going to reveal how the zombie plague started or is he going the "it's not important to the story, this is about how the characters survive" route?

15. Elijya Registered

I'm fairly sure he's stated it's the latter, Jake

16. Not Jake Registered

That kind of irritates me, I mean, it's like he's trying too hard to make a high-concept zombie book when he goes and does that. I understand a 2-hour movie not explaining the zombies but an ongoing? There could be a good story there. It could be a mini if he didn't want to interrupt the flow of the main book

Effing zombie creators and their air of social intelligence:cmad: Sometimes I want the sociopolitcal undertones and sometimes I just want to know how the world got infected with goddamn zombies, why can't you understand this:cmad:

17. GyLocke Registered

In most romero-ish zombie fiction, the only "supernatural" elements are the living dead. That's what makes it realistic. It's like our world, but only a tiny thing is different and that changes everything.

Explaining why the dead walks the earth, they would probably need to introduce more "supernatural" elements, and distance the fictional world more from our own.

In some cases, they explain it with "Science did it" which is pretty much the same like "a wizard did it". Except if they use it for clumsy social critisims about corporations or military.(cough, Resident Evil).

And frankly as long as they follow a handful of survivors, it's very realistic that they will never learn what really went wrong.

So I say Kirkman should not reveal the reason till issue 500 or something. Except if he has a damn good idea for it. I never heard one.

18. Spike_x1 Get off my bandwagon!

I finally got my copy of the first volume. Fantastic read. Great ending too. :eek::up:

I'm going to order volume 2 next time I'm in town.

19. Spideywebs Registered

Just bought the first 5 trades and tore thru them. This is a great book. Any one else read this?

20. MaskedManJRK Registered

I'm up to the third trade--it kicks ass. In my opinion, it's the best of Kirkman's stuff. :up:

21. Spideywebs Registered

I still prefer Invincible, but I am loving this book too. Invincible is more uplifting. This book teeters on the edge of insanity constantly :wow: I'm reading thru it again now...

22. MaskedManJRK Registered

Well, I more prefer the edge or insanity books, I guess. :o

23. Spideywebs Registered

Seems like not too many people here read the good book...

24. Anubis Sup?

Theres a thread for it around here somewhere.

But anyway, I love it. I think it's the best book Kirkman's doing. Guess I like teetering on the edge of insanity too. :)

If you're enjoying this book, you try the Luna bros. Girls as well. Great book. But start from the beginning.

25. Majik1387 Registered

I'm still looking for the 5th TPB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.