The Walking Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I think Carl's just that much of a dick at this point. I can't stand that kid, but I still don't want to see anything too bad happen to him because of what it would do to Rick. Plus I still have some sympathy for him because I understand why he is the way he is. But still... total bastard, that boy.

I don't think he's that bad...

He's a total jerk. His utter contempt for Rick is sickening given the amount of terrible s*** Rick's done to protect his scrawny ash. And I don't even like Rick that much at this point.

I'd be fine if both were dead and we focus on Abra- oh, oh yeah. :csad:

Seriously, nobody's all that likable in the cast now.

Shut up! Andrea is likable. So if Michonne. I'm still also behind Rick "Mother ****ing" Grimes, and Jesus is pretty damn cool. Your smoree mouth should be shut!:cmad:

Jesus is likable, but I ain't buying no book focused on him. Andrea is tolerable. Michonne has become forgettable since 20 issues ago. She's barely a tertiary at this point.

And **** Rick "Stumpy" Grimes! **** him!

The problem I have with comics Rick is that he seems to be in a constant state of flux between the "Aw shucks!" Mayberry PD guy and the total hardass.

People may have their issues with the TV series, but I kind of vastly prefer TV Rick to comics Rick. At least Lincoln has moved completely over to one side of the Aw-Shucks/Badass spectrum.

TV Rick is so much more entertaining than "Well, that's not what I plan but that's a good idea" Rick. Something I noticed when reading the comics, he says something like that a lot. At least it felt that way when reading the first 6 HCs. I fast realized I was reading the books for everyone else but Rick.

Oh yeah. I've got both compendiums. There's a ****load of that.

I love the comics, but I really don't think Kirkman's all that great at dialogue.

He really isn't. So many people sound the same.

Yeah, it's either Mayberry-speak between the heroes or just a ****load of swearing.

Not nearly enough unique sounding voices in the book. They are definitely more separated in the show. Thankfully.

I started with TV series and loved it so much that I started reading comics (which I am now caught up with) and now I find I'm rather disappointed in the TV series.

I love the Governor in comics but they did a bad job with Governor in the show. The guy they got to play the Governor would made a better Negan then the Governor.

Also they missed out on some really iconic moments in the comic. Like when Michonne was in arena and she hit the guy in stomach and then took off his head in one swift blow. It was great. Its moments like that they should have had in the show.

The show still good just no where near as good as the comic.

Morissey is great as the Governor. And he was cast months before Negan was even introduced, but I don't see Morissey as Negan at all.

Yeah, The TV Governor isn't Negan AT ALL.

I still want Danny Trejo as the Governor. Then again, I want Trejo in everything I watch at some point.

Now Trejo would make a f***ing awesome Negan. Loud, crass, and obnoxious yet subtly terrifying all at the same time? Trejo's got that down. :hehe:

He also seems like a guy who would put a hot iron to the side of your head for ****ing with his women.

(e) Nothing. Negan is just messing with Rick and has a laugh when he gives Carl back, psychologically harmed, but not physically.

Ah, I called it. As far as cop-outs go, this one was a pretty bad one. "The thing I did was... Nothing!"

C'mon Kirkman. Either follow through on the tease or don't tease.

Anyway, very ho-hum talky-talky issue. Nothing really grabbed me except Rick becoming even more like the "walking dead" when he sinks his teeth into Negan's arm. Hope things pick up soon.

Only thing I really found interesting was them being able to create bullets. I'm expecting someone to shoot themselves now.

Having just read #100 I can finally put this series to bed. Kirkman has officially shown he's from the same lazy writing school of thought as GRR Martin (Game of Thrones). There's a concept known as The Law of Instrument. It is an over-reliance on a familiar tool and is quoted as such; "I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail." - Abraham Maslow

That's Kirkman and Martin.

Writers who can't write rely on crutches to create tension, and some know how to play off of those crutches to accomplish the same while truly raising the craft. Kirkland is the former. He's done it enough in this series for me to tell he'll do it over and over. Glenn didn't need to die to build up Negan. Kirkman just doesn't know how to write. Period.

I rode the GRR Martin train too long before I realized what kind of writer he was. Kirkman wants to go 300 issues - I'm not following this ride for 200 more just to feel as pissed as I did at GoT.

Well, don't you look silly for sticking around 100 issues before realizing you don't like the writer...

Having just read #100 I can finally put this series to bed. Kirkman has officially shown he's from the same lazy writing school of thought as GRR Martin (Game of Thrones). There's a concept known as The Law of Instrument. It is an over-reliance on a familiar tool and is quoted as such; "I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail." - Abraham Maslow

That's Kirkman and Martin.

Writers who can't write rely on crutches to create tension, and some know how to play off of those crutches to accomplish the same while truly raising the craft. Kirkland is the former. He's done it enough in this series for me to tell he'll do it over and over. Glenn didn't need to die to build up Negan. Kirkman just doesn't know how to write. Period.

I rode the GRR Martin train too long before I realized what kind of writer he was. Kirkman wants to go 300 issues - I'm not following this ride for 200 more just to feel as pissed as I did at GoT.

About two years ago I would've laughed at you and said you were nuts... but now I'm starting to see it for myself.

Issues #100-108 have been pretty much atrocious, and I've followed the series since around 2005. #100 I could forgive because it had insane buildup... but the story is just going nowhere. It's been going nowhere - truthfully - since #48, when the prison war ended. Everything else has been the "aftermath" of that.

Negan in particular just does not work for me. A lazily written character with impossibly over-the-top language, he's almost annoying and irritating as opposed to scary or threatening. I'll be happy when he's dead because he won't have atrocious dialogue anymore. I just don't care about anything he does. There's zero suspense.

Now with Jesus, Ezekiel, and everyone else... it's just "Bleh" for me. And I don't know if it's Kirkman truly being a terrible writer, or if he's just too preoccupied with the TV show (he's producing and writing episodes for the show too). And sadly, the show is kind of going downhill too. :csad:

I don't know. There definitely seems to be a decline in the comic and the show, which is hilarious, because both are more popular than ever and are dominating the mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"