The Walmart Marvel Legends/Twin Packs Thread

SpiderHulkThing said:
i hate people watching me. i've always been embarrassed for buying toys. even when i was 10. i'm wierd like that. but my fiancee doesnt care and she's helped me get over that mostly. of course, she probably isn't happy that she helped me get back into collecting figures by accident. i passed the first couple times when i first saw ML stuff cause i was embarrassed for wanting them. But i feel ya on the figs being a burden.

I don't mind people watching. I used to be very embarassed. I used to buy birthday cards for kids and act like it was a present. I was pathetic. Then, I stopped caring. It may be because when I first started doing the action figure thing I was 13 (I'm going to be 22 in 2 months) I was an akward looking chubby 13 year old. I started lifting weights regularly since I was 15. Now I bench over 360 or so. It just gave me the confidence not to care.

Saint553 said:
Those guys are pathetic. You immediately get a store employee, tell them what happened, and get the police involved. They're pieces of trash and deserve to have their teeth kicked in. I would have let him try something, most places have great security cameras and I would have loved to file a nice lawsuit.

you know those times when you do one thing and wish you would have done another. that was one of those times. i probably should have told someone, but i had my girl waiting in the car and i didn't know what to do. it was a very awkard situation of course. If they would have been stuff i wanted, i would have fought for it (meaning got someone really), but it wasnt worth it for venom/manwolf. plus, i have heard that some walmarts wont let people go through the boxes and i guess i was afriad that they would do that. now that i think about it, that wouldnt hurt me much since i'd probably have better chances finding stuff when they're not in the box since scalpers always get to them first.

Saint553 said:
I don't mind people watching. I used to be very embarassed. I used to buy birthday cards for kids and act like it was a present. I was pathetic. Then, I stopped caring. It may be because when I first started doing the action figure thing I was 13 (I'm going to be 22 in 2 months) I was an akward looking chubby 13 year old. I started lifting weights regularly since I was 15. Now I bench over 360 or so. It just gave me the confidence not to care.
man.. you bought kids birthday cards. that's ingenius :x I never would have thought about it.. But its also a waste of extra money :/

SsM said:
Alot of people dont look at me and see a collector :/ I tell them I collect stuff and they are like really? you dont look like the type of person that plays with toys.. and i have to tell them i dont "play" with them. But yeah.. the stores I have dont have alot of people in them So i usually dont get stares or anything like that... and SHT... WTH... when did this happen... He stared you down?? how did he have the authority to open the cases? was he a worker there??? I didnt think people could just walk in and start opening the cases... WTH

people open boxes around me all the time. it wasnt that bad till the sentinal wave hit. then a lot of ebayers realized they could make mad profits from ML. This happened maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. after someone spotted the first hobgoblin. and i hate it when people ask if you play with toys still.

Does this guy work there???

Oh, and I'm going to try to keep my collection in a modest way. The new house I'm moving to, I'm going to have a bedroom and an office. The office is going to have all of my figures and my bedroom is going to be where I bring people to "socialize" or whatever.

SpiderHulkThing said:
people open boxes around me all the time. it wasnt that bad till the sentinal wave hit. then a lot of ebayers realized they could make mad profits from ML. This happened maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. after someone spotted the first hobgoblin. and i hate it when people ask if you play with toys still.
I just tell them hell yeah i play with toys. Gotta keep in touch with your inner child..

Saint553 said:

yeah, i was the fat kid collecting star wars stuff when i was about 12 or 13. i'm 21 now. i stopped for a long while until someone offerened me a crap load of the old TMNT for a good price and i took it. then i wanted to complete the collection since it was so close. those are in boxes though and won't be opened. that was like sophomore year in HS when i was working and got to do what i wanted to with my money. it also got me hooked on ebay for awhile. then i stopped collecting until ML again in college. i'd pick up stuff i thought was cool like spawn etc, but didnt collect stuff.

No one asks me if I play with them. But I don't really care. I stopped criticizing and judging other people I know about their habits and things they do for fun (drinking heavily, random sex, etc). If they criticize me, then I obviously don't need them around. Most of my friends don't care. Some even think it's cool. Everyone has their vices, the people you want around you are the ones who accept them.

Saint553 said:
No one asks me if I play with them. But I don't really care. I stopped criticizing and judging other people I know about their habits and things they do for fun (drinking heavily, random sex, etc). If they criticize me, then I obviously don't need them around. Most of my friends don't care. Some even think it's cool. Everyone has their vices, the people you want around you are the ones who accept them.
None of my friends care that I'm a collector.

SsM said:
man.. you bought kids birthday cards. that's ingenius :x I never would have thought about it.. But its also a waste of extra money :/

i never did birthday cards, but i also would say, i'm getting this stuff for my brothers/cousins bday and crap like that. make excuses. now my excuse is, i'm getting married and i can't get out of it and i can do what i want. (not being able to get out of it is a good thing though)

SpiderHulkThing said:
i never did birthday cards, but i also would say, i'm getting this stuff for my brothers/cousins bday and crap like that. make excuses. now my excuse is, i'm getting married and i can't get out of it and i can do what i want. (not being able to get out of it is a good thing though)
Sometimes If therres a bunch of people around.. I will pretend to think out loud.. LIke *now what did he want again..* or * I think he said he needed cyclops or whatever*

I didn't do much collecting in high school. I was busy with a lot of other things and action figures actually got me out of a depression. Weird friggin story how it happened, but I just got really depressed my freshman year of college and never left my dorm except for practice, class, and workouts. One day I went to the comic shop in town after getting a hair cut having not read a comic or bought an action figure for a while. Now, 3 years later, I have 2 full long boxes of comics and more figures than I know what to do with and couldn't be happier. If anyone tries to condemn me for it, I know how much of a crappy person they are.

Saint553 said:
I didn't do much collecting in high school. I was busy with a lot of other things and action figures actually got me out of a depression. Weird friggin story how it happened, but I just got really depressed my freshman year of college and never left my dorm except for practice, class, and workouts. One day I went to the comic shop in town after getting a hair cut having not read a comic or bought an action figure for a while. Now, 3 years later, I have 2 full long boxes of comics and more figures than I know what to do with and couldn't be happier. If anyone tries to condemn me for it, I know how much of a crappy person they are.
what figures do you have that you want to get rid of?? Mls that is??

I don't care if other people are around. Screw 'em. I rarely run into other collector's/scalpers though. The scalpers in town, if they beat me (which is hard to do sometimes), they are in and out with all the possible goods without anyone knowing. Makes me think the main scalper is a walmart worker. On the few occasions I do see another collector I break the ice and ask them if they were looking for anything in particular. I've met a few cool people that way.

Saint553 said:
Does this guy work there???

Oh, and I'm going to try to keep my collection in a modest way. The new house I'm moving to, I'm going to have a bedroom and an office. The office is going to have all of my figures and my bedroom is going to be where I bring people to "socialize" or whatever.

i dont think he does. i hadn't seen him there before. yeah, i can't wait till i get a house and have an office to put my stuff in. i need a closet in my office as well for storage. but that way i can escape the figs sometimes. it's gonna be a challenge when my future kids want to know why daddy has more toys than they do. i hope i can keep the office i secret for awhile.

Saint553 said:
I don't care if other people are around. Screw 'em. I rarely run into other collector's/scalpers though. The scalpers in town, if they beat me (which is hard to do sometimes), they are in and out with all the possible goods without anyone knowing. Makes me think the main scalper is a walmart worker. On the few occasions I do see another collector I break the ice and ask them if they were looking for anything in particular. I've met a few cool people that way.

yeah, i try to see if i can help them out and see if they can help me out. some of them are cool and i've met people who really seem to collect them to collect them and they're fun to talk to.

SsM said:
what figures do you have that you want to get rid of?? Mls that is??

MLs? I don't get rid of many MLs per say. Just random figures that have no purpose. I send most of them FTB's way because he's working on a custom for me and hasn't mentioned what he wants in return so I send him all the fodder he can use, even if it's not for my custom. Sometimes I send him figures that are better than others, like I sent him a Hush Batman I didn't want.

But next time I go home and make a box, I'll post a list on the board here. I'll probably have a list of stuff for like $1 and stuff that I just want the cost of shipping for.

Saint553 said:
MLs? I don't get rid of many MLs per say. Just random figures that have no purpose. I send most of them FTB's way because he's working on a custom for me and hasn't mentioned what he wants in return so I send him all the fodder he can use, even if it's not for my custom. Sometimes I send him figures that are better than others, like I sent him a Hush Batman I didn't want.

But next time I go home and make a box, I'll post a list on the board here. I'll probably have a list of stuff for like $1 and stuff that I just want the cost of shipping for.
I really dont think I will sell them. I really want my Kids and grandchildren to have something to remember what I was like when I was younger If I am not around when they are growing up So i will probably place in my will That they are not to sell them :x ... if thats at all possible..

Well, figures like Dark Phoenix and Phasing Vision I'm going to basically just seal in a tupperware box and packaway for a looooong time. Or open them, depends on my mood.

But for the most part I'm going to get a GOOD display case of some sort and put them in a nice out of the way display where they won't fall off. I'm thinking of doing a large glass display case that is set into the wall a few inches.

Saint553 said:

when i was a kid, getting an action figure always seemed to bring me up when i was down. and i think that's the same for most people and those of us who collect action figures still probably get a little bit of that feeling again like when we were young. i know i used to. but those positive feelings of getting new figs has been replaced with, oh crap, i gotta find this and get that. what if they don't have it, what if it's gone already and i'm too late. and that takes the fun out of it. in fact, it depresses me when i go shopping for the sole purpose of looking for figs and come up short. it used to be, oh well, they dont have it, i'll find it sometime. and then it depresses me that toys can depress me. it's kinda sad, but i know i'm not the only one. my mother was also the kind that pretty much just locked me up in my room with toys and didnt mess with me much. so that's probably another reason for my habits.

Saint553 said:
Well, figures like Dark Phoenix and Phasing Vision I'm going to basically just seal in a tupperware box and packaway for a looooong time. Or open them, depends on my mood.

But for the most part I'm going to get a GOOD display case of some sort and put them in a nice out of the way display where they won't fall off. I'm thinking of doing a large glass display case that is set into the wall a few inches.
Yeah.. I have a custom shelf in this room. So I'm going to build custom glass doors for it.

yeah, i'm gonna try to get a few glass display stands for my stuff. problem is, i was originally going to display all my star wars figs. that was my plan since i was in high school. but now i'm debating whether to display star wars and MLs and the like or to just sell my star wars stuff. i have a really nice collection. im probably missing 10 at the most figs from everything that was released from 1990s and up. i dont think i picked up all the ROTS stuff though, just cause most of it sucked.

What depresses me about the fig collecting is the money involved.. whether it be on gas or just the figure itself.. They add up and when I think about it.. I go into deep depressive fits.. SO i try not to think about it

Well, the way I've looked at it and rationalized it all throughout college: I've gotten by just fine with money while collecting figures at the rate I do. Now, I can just save the money, but for what? And what other pointless crap would I be spending my money on if not action figures?

Plus, when I graduate, I should be getting some money and then I'll be starting a job in construction which will pay somewhat well. No big worries for me.

watch it man. you're breaking a cardinal rule. you're not allowed to talk about how much money you or anyone else has spent on figs. they are likely to kill themselves. some people, probably myself, have spent enough to buy a nice sports car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"