Apocalypse The "What if? Original Cast" Thread

henzINNIT

Superhero
Reaction score
Yeah. I did it.

So the dust has settled on Time's "Worst Movie of the Year" (ridiculous), and the responses have been mixed. Apocalypse has flaws, and strengths, and roughly 50% of this franchise's established cast. With the way DOFP ended, there were two seperate paths to step forward from, so it seems logical to discuss the other side.

I wonder what you all think could have happened if they went the other way.

What could have been great about a 2023 Apocalypse?
What might have brought it down?
What good stuff would you have missed from the 1983 version we got?

What did you guys hope for after DOFP, and how do you feel about the franchise a couple of years later?

Would have been nice to see Grammer's Beast again.

Singer's lack of vision, too many characters, Wolverine undoubtedly front and center.

The young Scott, Jean, Storm, and Kurt.

What did you guys hope for after DOFP, and how do you feel about the franchise a couple of years later?
Hoped they would continue with FC cast continuing the story in the past. The franchise needs to make some changes. Less Magneto/Mystique/Wolverine and more X-Men team.

This is assuming the happy ending is in effect. Kinda ruins the fun of all the other TLS stuff at play.

Future setting. Costumes, since they'd be more established.
Focus would be on the Young Mutants, most likely, since everyone else is a teacher or has other priorities.
Grammar Beast. More X-Men/mutants to take on Apocalypse and his Horsemen.
Might go the mind controlled route with Horsemen. Wolverine as a Horseman.
Jean Grey and Xavier at their prime against Apocalypse.
No Quicksilver to save all those mutants at the mansion. Though, that might be a plus since the threat would be more dire.
Might go the mind controlled route with Horsemen.
All that world building. 2023 mutants would very much be stuck with either the mansion or where ever it is Magneto ended up. The Young X-Men.
Xavier, Erik, and Raven mending their feud.
A closing chapter for the First Class and the official beginning of the X-Men.
Did not expect Mystique to be a member. Apocalypse is what it is and hope they found someone who can keep this ambitious approach going or just dial it back to 2 opposing factions and develop those really well.

I'm excited for all these spinoffs coming our way. 2017 could quite possibly be my most anticipated for FOX comic book adaptions in general.
2018 is when we might have 2-3 X-related movies and 2 ongoing X-men shows.

So in this scenario would Bryan still be directing?

Well look alot of the ideas we got in X-Men won't change because of the Cast, Magneto will be apart of it because why wouldn't he?, probably a horseman still, the X-Men won't suddenly be better because they are in their prime because it comes down to execution so don't expect more effort to be put in just because they are in their "prime" aka X1.

There is no reason why the horseman would be mind controlled if it was with the OC because thats a wierd way of looking at it, this is what bryan wanted to explore with the cult leader stuff.

The world could still be accepting of mutants because of the DOFP events.

Do you know what there would be? different things for people to complain about but the same sorta disappointments, the story would have played out how it plays out with no advantages based on the cast or characters, if the mansion blows up for example they won't have those colourful outfits lol

Last edited:
Even if turned out to be as good as Apocalypse, the roster of the X-Men that we saw in the new future would have appealed more to the viewers and would have made a big difference at the box office. Plus maybe no Mystique, Magneto, Moira, Quicksilver to take the focus from the real X-Men? That's a plus for me! Fox should have moved forward in the present days. Instead of going backwards with these younger versions.

doudtful they would have ever done apocalypse with original cast but if singer had wanted to do his last for now directed film in series on original cast he may have done it as kind of final chapter of main X-men films.

Magneto likely still would have been in film but it would have been Mckellen's magneto.

Storm wouldn't have been horseman but i feel mystique might not have been in film so focus would have been on Xavier,Apocalypse,Magneto,wolverine,Cyclops,and jean.

Colossus and kitty might not have been in film.

Psylocke and angel likely still would have been horseman.

Kitty and Colossus might not have been in the film ? Colossus maybe but Kitty? After that Dofp role? Yeah no.

I would have loved the chance to see a "proper" X-Men sequel from Singer as his last project. Felt right. I still remember the original cast fondly, and prefer the older incarnations to most of the newer cast so the opportunity to get everyone together would have been crazy.

Would have been nice to see Grammer's Beast again.

This cast member particularly. Grammar was so perfect in the role that I think I'll always lament him being wasted in one of the bad films. All I needed was a scene of him in a lab or something and I would have been satisfied. *sigh*

I also think that Apocalypse's threat would have been more apparent if it had been set at the later part of the timeline. He needs to be as big and dramatic as possible to work, and he's undermined going up against the X-Men as untrained children. Also, the future coda was wonderful in DOFP but effectively killed the tension for anything prior.

More X-Men/mutants to take on Apocalypse and his Horsemen.
Might go the mind controlled route with Horsemen. Wolverine as a Horseman.

I agree with this. The cast list for the final showdown would have been nuts. More than enough characters to pick a team of heroes and horsemen. Wolverine as a horseman seemed like a no brainer to me in either timeline. Great chance for Hugh Jackman to do something different and give other team members the spotlight at the same time. Also, it was the perfect opportunity to give him a classic costume.

Focus would be on the Young Mutants, most likely, since everyone else is a teacher or has other priorities.

This is something that really interests me. I love the generational aspect of the X-Men, especially in the film universe where there are many distinct age groups. One last OT film could have extended on this nicely, giving some finality to the oldest characters' stories, depicting some as teachers (maybe Scott and Jean have a son now? planting seeds), the "kids" Ice-Man, Rogue, Kitty etc. as established X-Men, and there are some fresh faces appearing in small roles. There has been a passage of time, and things are different.

Extending out from there, Apocalypse's arrival would signal a massive change for everyone. He brings about these huge shifts afterall. He could rival Xavier, who is beginning to look at the legacy he'll leave behind. Also, how cool would it be if Apocalyose was aware of the time-travel previously and vows the heroes won't cheat their fate again? I dunno, I'm rambling.

Well look alot of the ideas we got in X-Men won't change because of the Cast, Magneto will be apart of it because why wouldn't he?, probably a horseman still,

I expect having an actor in his 70's would affect the role Magneto would have in the film. Also the dynamics of the cast would be different as Fassbender's Magneto is a more central character in that era than McKellen's (though still significant of course).

The X-Men won't suddenly be better because they are in their prime because it comes down to execution so don't expect more effort to be put in just because they are in their "prime" aka X1.

True to an extent, execution is what matters. Singer did however state that he was showing the major characters as inexperienced, so it's not too out there to imagine the improvement to the action tht could have been made if Singer was directing a group of veterans.

Do you know what there would be? different things for people to complain about but the same sorta disappointments, the story would have played out how it plays out with no advantages based on the cast or characters, if the mansion blows up for example they won't have those colourful outfits lol

You are just so much fun.

Psylocke and angel likely still would have been horseman.

Angel would have been age appropriate as well. Continuity ftw.

deadpool might have prevented colossus from being in it.

with true blood ended singer might have wanted a decent part for rogue to mirror X-men 1.and some good wolverine/rogue interaction.

deadpool might have prevented colossus from being in it.

with true blood ended singer might have wanted a decent part for rogue to mirror X-men 1.and some good wolverine/rogue interaction.

I would have loved to see Rogue get her hands on Apocalypse tbh.

I would have loved to see Psylocke fight against Rogue! Then psylocke ended up joining in the end.

Anyway, they should have just made Apocalypse brainwashed the horsemen, therefore Kinberg wouldn't need to come up with reasons for those four turning evil. Wolverine, Angel, Psylocke and Beast as the four horsemen. There would have been tension with the X-Men fighting the horsemen since two of them are their friends. While also they could have helped Psylocke and Angel from Apocalypse and offer them to join the X-Men. While Apocalypse's awakening could have been an effect from the time travel in Dofp. Then maybe a Gambit or Deadpool tease at the end.

I expect having an actor in his 70's would affect the role Magneto would have in the film. Also the dynamics of the cast would be different as Fassbender's Magneto is a more central character in that era than McKellen's (though still significant of course).

It wouldn't have changed much, you could have mckellens magneto with his wife who is killed, even if he doesn't have a daughter it would still be about the same.

Mckellen has been in 4 X-Men movies, there wasn't been an OT movie without him.

True to an extent, execution is what matters. Singer did however state that he was showing the major characters as inexperienced, so it's not too out there to imagine the improvement to the action tht could have been made if Singer was directing a group of veterans.

Like what improvements? you think singer will look at storm and be like well she is super experienced so il put her up against apocalypse and we will have a huge battle! no you know what the most likely scenario would have been judging by past films? storm would zap apocalypse and he would kick her ash.

Its like with all this talk about how apocalypse boosting mutant powers and everyone was like oh wow i wonder what the horseman will do with their boosted abilities... and the answer to that is not alot, infact you didn't really get a sense anything was boosted unless storms boosted power was just flight.

And also Singer could have had a mystique and psylocke fight, he could have directed a huge kick ash fight with the experienced fighters but that didn't happen.

You are just so much fun.

Just being a realist.

You can look at any film with a what if attitude but X-Men apocalypse was not restricted because its cast or characters, it was moved along by the story they chose to tell, just like X3, origins, DOFP ect ect

They could also have explored more into iceman,rogue and kitty just like they kinda continued in DOFP

infact rogue and bobby probably would have replaced any cyclops and jean stuff from Apocalypse

My God, triple posts... Really? Copy and paste your comment then edit your first post. Geez. It is not like you're new here.

Angel would have been age appropriate as well. Continuity ftw.

What if Ben Foster reprised His role instead ofappearing in Inferno and Warcraft (though Warcraft wouldn't be a conflict since that was shot back in 2014, I think).

There probably wouldn't have been a Quicksilver character in a future set Apocalypse. Unless Singer cast an older actor for him. We know Wolverine knew an older Quicksilver.

And so Mansion explosion and rescue scene would've taken a different route. Or might not have happened altogether.

Mystique probably would've had a more minor role as well. At the very least, she wouldn't have led the X-men in that Danger Room sequence at the end. Sorry Rebecca, you're no JLaw (haven't decided yet if that's a bad thing :oldrazz: )

Would not have been a role for older Moira. No Stryker. Low possibility of Caliban appearance. Alan Cumming may return. Or not.

Maybe a different set of Horsemen. Could be a group of unknown (or lesser known) mutants. High probability Halle's Storm wouldn't be one.

Thread belongs in fanfic boards.

This is something that really interests me. I love the generational aspect of the X-Men, especially in the film universe where there are many distinct age groups. One last OT film could have extended on this nicely, giving some finality to the oldest characters' stories, depicting some as teachers (maybe Scott and Jean have a son now? planting seeds), the "kids" Ice-Man, Rogue, Kitty etc. as established X-Men, and there are some fresh faces appearing in small roles. There has been a passage of time, and things are different.
Not much intrigue left with the older cast, especially after undoing TLS.
Which is why that "veteran" aspect works as well as it does with the remaining First Class cast. Everyone has been more or less separated and are reuniting for this conflict. Like I said the focus would be on the fledgling "young mutants" and any development for that previous X-Men would be less engrossing.

So in this scenario would Bryan still be directing?
with Kinberg scripting.

Well look alot of the ideas we got in X-Men won't change because of the Cast, Magneto will be apart of it because why wouldn't he?, probably a horseman still, the X-Men won't suddenly be better because they are in their prime because it comes down to execution so don't expect more effort to be put in just because they are in their "prime" aka X1.
context moreso than cast. Although characters can fill a familiar role, the situations presumably go down differently due to the established circumstances the filmmakers have to work with.

There is no reason why the horseman would be mind controlled if it was with the OC because thats a wierd way of looking at it, this is what bryan wanted to explore with the cult leader stuff.
emphasis on "might" because I wasn't considering how these characters would be lured to Apocalypse's side. Magneto would be even less resisting, since he's been trying for so many movies and he's opportunistic enough for "the good of mutant-kind". Both Pyslocke and Angel would be similarly lured. The last remaining horseman would either be Rogue or Storm. The reason mind control sounds more plausible because any other X-Man wouldn't be coerced as easily.

The world could still be accepting of mutants because of the DOFP events.
So, one can infer X-Men in their "colorful" suits in action (even if it's just press footage) before the mansion goes boom.
Beyond the fanservice reason the X-Men now wear individual suits at the end of the film,
what other narrative purpose are they implying by not sticking to those black suits?
Even Deadpool has Colossus and NTW in more distinguishable outfits.

Right, Kinberg would still be scripting.
With all I've said, I'm still more in favor of military/protective gear like the ones they wore in DOFP and Apocalypse,
especially when the threat level is this great...and the mansion went boom.

Colossus had a slightly altered version of the X3 outfit with some red added.

Veterans or inexperienced characters doesn't matter. Singer lacks the eye for big action and spectacle. So it is too out there too imagine IMO. The bad fight coreogrohy wouldn't change. The cheap uninspired setting and atmosphere of the finale wouldn't change. But most importantly, Singer's version of Apocalypse doesn't change with the casts. They'd be dealing with the same Apocalypse. The guy that just stands there and blocks attacks with no visually enticing action displays. No morphing. No energy blasts. Just standing there until Phoenix gets him. So I highly doubt any difference in the action department.

Singer's lack of vision, too many characters, Wolverine undoubtedly front and center.

The character list would certainly be intimidating. Tough to imagine everyone getting something interesting to do, and there's a ton of potential disappointment when favourites are benched (see Rogue in DOFP). They would almost have to pluck the horsemen from the X-Men team just to thin out their numbers.

Aging actors is an elephant in the room too. Stewart and McKellen aren't going to be doing much exciting action. Would they get Cumming back?

And of course there's the very real possibility that all of the bad stuff from Apocalypse would be ported over. That final action sequence was rubbish for starters, and would be that way with any actor against those green screens.

What if Ben Foster reprised His role instead ofappearing in Inferno and Warcraft (though Warcraft wouldn't be a conflict since that was shot back in 2014, I think).

As much as I like continuity, Ben Foster is no Angel nowadays. I think even with the original cast it might have been worth recasting him.

It wouldn't have changed much, you could have mckellens magneto with his wife who is killed, even if he doesn't have a daughter it would still be about the same.

Mckellen has been in 4 X-Men movies, there wasn't been an OT movie without him.

The film would have been massively altered by the different cast and cast dynamics. It wouldn't "still be the same" at all. McKellen's Magneto was a key part of a larger ensemble, while Fassbender is pretty much a co-lead in a smaller group. Whether you agree that Fassbender is more dominant than Mckellen or not, you must at least agree that there are many more characters to serve in the future period.

Just being a realist.

Which is a major downer in a thread asking for some imagination.

You can look at any film with a what if attitude but X-Men apocalypse was not restricted because its cast or characters, it was moved along by the story they chose to tell, just like X3, origins, DOFP ect ect

Absolutely you can look at any film with this attitude. People do it all the time: Del Toro's "Hobbit", a TDK sequel with Joker, and I'm sure Blomkamp's "Alien 5" very soon. Why not now? It's just something to talk about.

Not much intrigue left with the older cast, especially after undoing TLS.
Which is why that "veteran" aspect works as well as it does with the remaining First Class cast. Everyone has been more or less separated and are reuniting for this conflict. Like I said the focus would be on the fledgling "young mutants" and any development for that previous X-Men would be less engrossing.

Couldn't disagree more on this tbh. Even with the continuity reset, the OT cast are still etched into public consciousness, and there is weight to their history in the roles. Logan for example looks fantastic, and a part of that appeal is the emotion attached to Jackman and Stewart (those trailers are just awesome).

The FC cast (despite some great talent) have the burden of coming second. They will never be more established, and the unconvincing time jumps make it even more apparent that these guys are not the people that audience have grown up/old with. Mystique reminiscing in the jet in Apocalypse has nothing on Magneto's "all those years watsed" scene with Xavier in DOFP.

Veterans or inexperienced characters doesn't matter. Singer lacks the eye for big action and spectacle. So it is too out there too imagine IMO. The bad fight coreogrohy wouldn't change. The cheap uninspired setting and atmosphere of the finale wouldn't change. But most importantly, Singer's version of Apocalypse doesn't change with the casts. They'd be dealing with the same Apocalypse. The guy that just stands there and blocks attacks with no visually enticing action displays. No morphing. No energy blasts. Just standing there until Phoenix gets him. So I highly doubt any difference in the action department.

Experience does matter a little. It would have effected how Singer presented their powers/abilities.

BUT. I do agree. Outside of small, intricate sequences (like Nightcrawler at the White House and Quicksilver's scenes), Singer is not really an action guy. He's not shown a talent for large scale combat. The future stuff in DOFP was pretty good, but still quite small in scope.

And also Singer could have had a mystique and psylocke fight, he could have directed a huge kick ash fight with the experienced fighters but that didn't happen.

That is a cool example of something that would have been great to see in Apocalypse. Never thought about that. Could have been fun to see.

In keeping with the "what if" nature of the thread:

With X2's Guy Hendrix Dyas receiving an Oscar Nomination for his work on Passengers (yea *that* Passengers got an Oscar nom...who would've thunk?), makes me wonder what he would've done if he were tapped to come back to X-men as Production Designer.

The film would have been massively altered by the different cast and cast dynamics. It wouldn't "still be the same" at all. McKellen's Magneto was a key part of a larger ensemble, while Fassbender is pretty much a co-lead in a smaller group. Whether you agree that Fassbender is more dominant than Mckellen or not, you must at least agree that there are many more characters to serve in the future period.

But how do you think it would have changed exactly? Do you think McKellen wouldn't have been involved? and if he had been involved what role do you think he would have had? because honestly he could have easily have the exact same purpose going by his part in the previous movies

As for having more characters to service... well swap jubilee for another, swap havok for another ect ect.

Which is a major downer in a thread asking for some imagination.

Depends what you are looking for i guess since i have been using my imagination.

Last edited:
But how do you think it would have changed exactly? Do you think McKellen wouldn't have been involved? and what role do you think he would have had? because honestly he could have the exact same role going by how part in the previous movies

As for having more characters to service... well swap jubilee for another, swap havok for another ect ect.

Considering how McKellen would be much older, I would expect he wouldn't have had such a dramatic "lost family" arc, nor such a prominant role in the action. Magneto would probably mirror Charles as always, but much later in life, reflecting on the legacy he will leave behind. Apocalypse would represent an extreme variation of his own agenda in a time where Magneto himself has mellowed. Apocalypse might consider him among the weak now. With that in mind, I'd drop the redundant villain turn, and make him reluctant to get involved before finally aiding the X-Men.

I'd swap Jubilee for Jubilee, I guess. Do I need to list the X-Men roster from the future era? It's undeniably much larger than the one in the prequels, with more significant characters.

Depends what you are looking for i guess since i have been using my imagination.

Original post stated what I was looking for:

-What could have been great about a 2023 Apocalypse?
-What might have brought it down?
-What good stuff would you have missed from the 1983 version we got?
-What did you guys hope for after DOFP, and how do you feel about the franchise a couple of years later?

And you gave me "this wouldn't happen", "it would have been the same" and "people still would have moaned".

In keeping with the "what if" nature of the thread:

With X2's Guy Hendrix Dyas receiving an Oscar Nomination for his work on Passengers (yea *that* Passengers got an Oscar nom...who would've thunk?), makes me wonder what he would've done if he were tapped to come back to X-men as Production Designer.

Damn I do wonder. Or the DOFP team as well. I was surprised there was a new guy for Apocalypse, though I suppose it was scheduling or something.

Weren't the X2 writers involved with Apocalypse at some level too? Why did we end up with a Kinberg script if those guys were around?

Last edited:
That's the real head scratcher here. Why the X2 guys Harris and Dougherty* were only brought on for "Story by" purposes (fans were ecstatic when Singer posted the return of these two on a twitpic) and Kinberg left to his own devices coming up with gems like:

Charles Xavier: "Because you are alone... and. I. am. not."

I mean McAvoy still sold the line just by sheer talent and delivery but even James brought up the cringe-worthy lines he had to deliver for this film.

Or how about JLaw's line that she and her First Classers came up with the name X-men. I know for a fact Kinberg wrote that line. Though Singer not correcting it, like he seems to have had to do with most of the written script, I will never get.

Edit: And the Dougherty is not a spring chicken either. He's directing the next Godzilla flick.

Considering how McKellen would be much older, I would expect he wouldn't have had such a dramatic "lost family" arc,

It would be more a much older guy losing the wife he was planning of spending the rest of his life with, although with mckellen the death would have been treated with an older and wiser approach where he holds back the pain being incredibly cold, like he was in DOFP untill the end when he opens up to Charles about his regrets.

Original post stated what I was looking for:

-What could have been great about a 2023 Apocalypse?
-What might have brought it down?
-What good stuff would you have missed from the 1983 version we got?
-What did you guys hope for after DOFP, and how do you feel about the franchise a couple of years later?

And you gave me "this wouldn't happen", "it would have been the same" and "people still would have moaned".

Same thing really.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"