The "What is this piece of music/ song?" thread

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
I thought we could have a thread to identify pieces of music we don't know the name of. I realise there are other services such as Shazam, but that involves having an excerpt of the piece in the first place, and if I had that I would probably know what the piece is. And if it's an instrumental piece then I can't check the lyrics either.

I've notated a classical or opera piece here:

tmPTgFe.jpg

I have only notated the famous part, and I've probably missed out a few notes or possibly gotten some bits wrong. But it's close enough to be instantly recognisable if you can sight read.

Anyone know what this is?

Examples of famous “movie music” that you might not know the name of. But they’re very familiar — often used in films, TV or commercials.

In the Hall of the Mountain King (Edvard Grieg) (dramatic stuff is at 1:40):

Für Elise (Beethoven):

O Fortuna (Carl Orff):

Powerhouse (Raymond Scott):

This is a fun one. It was often heard in cartoons (especially Looney Toons). I associate it with “mechanical” or “assembly line” scenes. (Fast forward to 1:10 for a particularly recognizable passage.)

I thought Fur Elise and O Fortuna are well known by name, especially Fur Elise which kids are playing all the time on the piano as one of the first classical pieces they learn.

I see no-one else responded to that first piece I posted that was notated. The piece is a well-known classical piece but I don't know the name. But surely someone on these forums is musical and can sight read notes?

Anyway, does anyone know what this classical piece is called below?

Classical piece.png

what instrument are those notes for?
i can read violin a little but it's been 20 years easily since i played so i don't recognize it on sight

They can be for any instrument. It's just a treble stave so could be the right hand of a piano, or on a violin or any instrument really. It's just the melody I'm trying to identify.

can you hum it and post on soundcloud or something? that's how i helped someone name a song in the lounge

I don't think you'd probably know either of them. They're both classical pieces of music, and if you knew them you'd almost certainly be able to sightread those notes and hear the tune in your head from the manuscript alone without needing the tunes on Soundcloud. But thanks anyway.

HELP! I really need to find this song (starts at 13:04). Already tried with google but I didn't have any luck, I think it's too short for it to pick it up.

have you any idea what language the song is?

have you any idea what language the song is?

Not even the slightest idea! I even googled "welcome home ragu" :lmao: which is what I hear at the beginning... Apparently it doesn't say that. It would make a good piece of lyrics.

Interesting thread. It was a good idea to create it. By the way, if someone wants to find out the namne of the song, I can suggest using Shazam. Usually, this mobile app helps me to identify the needed song, though I'm not sure it works for classic music.

You have to have a recording of the piece (and a commercial recording at that) in order for Shazam to detect it and recognise it in its database. If it's a live recording that is unreleased commercially or you only know what it sounds like in your head then it's impossible for Shazam to be of any use.

Try Shazaming a piece of music that you don't have a recording for or not the commercially released recording of an artist and you'll see it won't work.

You have to have a recording of the piece (and a commercial recording at that) in order for Shazam to detect it and recognise it in its database. If it's a live recording that is unreleased commercially or you only know what it sounds like in your head then it's impossible for Shazam to be of any use.

Try Shazaming a piece of music that you don't have a recording for or not the commercially released recording of an artist and you'll see it won't work.

Google is not good either! I tried to play the video on the tv and then use google's mic but it didn't recognize the song. Must be one of these "free to use" songs, it was not even listed on the description box of the video (still not cool).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"