The "Which Characters Will Appear" Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Rebels' started by mr. peasant, Mar 3, 2014.

1. mr. peasant Registered

Given this is the latest spin-off in the Star Wars franchise, I'm surprised no one has brought up the question of which characters might show up in Rebels, and what size roles they would play. Given its place in the franchise's timeline, I think Rebels is especially well poised in this respect as it can easily have both, Classic and Prequel era characters appear.

Personally, I think characters like Mon Mothma, Bail Organa and Tarkin are safe bets to appear at some point in the series. The former two could well make frequent appearances, especially if the Ghost crew is part of the larger Rebel Alliance. Likewise, Tarkin would be a good candidate to up the stakes whenever a "Bigger Bad" than the Inquisitor is needed and the show doesn't want to have Darth Vader look bad by getting defeated by a small group of rebels.

On the flip side, I don't anticipate the original characters from the Clone Wars cartoon to show up. At least, not as a direct reference - perhaps a vague allusion with their name never specifically mentioned or their faces physically shown. The reason I suspect this is the query of who owns the rights to those characters. Does Cartoon Network (or some other third party company) hold any share of the rights to the characters? If it does, then it's unlikely that Rebels would be given permission to use them.

Anyway, what does everyone else think?

2. James Built from Lego

Pretty sure we'll be seeing Cad Bane again. I was hoping we would, then his face showed up in some Sabine concept art as graffiti on a wall -good sign!

3. Bim Registered

I really hope we get to see a young Wedge also at some point.

4. Duke Registered

I hope Jan Dodonna, General Rieekan, & the Bothans mentioned in ROJ make an appearance. As for the Imperial Empire, I hope Tarkin shows up, along with Generals Motti & Tagge from the first Death Star.

5. GoldGoblin Registered

6. Duke Registered

I'd actually welcome seeing Fett on Rebels. Hopefully other bounty hunters like the ones we saw in ESB make appearances too.

7. godisawesome Registered

I'm hoping for Maul, or at least a flashback showing his final defeat.

The characters's return and rise to power in the underworld was too awesome for some lame duck comic to chronicle his end.

8. Destructus86 Registered

If we don't see a grown Ahsoka I will be pissed.

9. DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

I would like to see Darth Maul, Ahsoka Tano, Cad Bane & Captain Rex.

10. OnTheAir Wakandan Ambassador

I agree with mr. peasant that Tarkin, Mon Mothma and Bail Organa (and, therefore, R2 and 3PO) are all likely to appear at some point. Maybe not during the first season, but eventually.

I also think we will actually see both the Emperor and Vader down the road. Not necessarily in action, but perhaps in a scene where they are meeting with the Inquisitor. I think Lando and Boba may be possibilities as well.

As far as Clone Wars characters, I hope we will see Cad Bane, Asajj Ventress and Ahsoka at some point down the road.

However, I'm not sure we will see any of these beloved characters during the first season. At least, not the major ones. Rebels needs to establish their original characters and give people a reason to become invested in them before bringing the more familiar faces into the mix.

11. Soapy Registered

That's pretty much where I stand too. I have no doubt that they'll introduce some familiar characters down the road, but now isn't the time for them.

12. GamerSlyRatchet Registered

Well, the show already introduced [BLACKOUT]the last three[/BLACKOUT] already. So there's that.

I do think we'll see Tarkin soon. He kept getting name-dropped in the pilot.

13. Karelia I Know

I'd like to see Darth Bane & Darth Revan, if just through a holocron. Or maybe give a flashback episode of both of them.

We already got Maul and Grand Admiral Thrawn, so I'm happy with that.

I'll add Boba Fett to the list too.

Starkiller would be awesome to see.. but highly unlikely. :( I will mention, that I believe Dave Filoni wanted to add General Kota to Clone Wars, but ended up not doing it for some reason. (May have not been Filoni... I remember Witwer discussing it on the TFU commentary he did.)

#13 Karelia, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  14. Gabe99 Registered

15. TheVileOne Registered

The only two Legends characters I really want back are Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar.

16. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

Spent this entire weekend binge watching Rebels. There was a season 3 episode that showed what looked to be the Outrider but unfortunately it was not. Hope to see Dash Rendar as well. They already kinda teased Prince Xizor when Sabine's Mandalorian bounty hunter friend mentioned she worked for the Black Sun.

Also, with Saw Gerrera due to make an appearance I wouldn't rule out a future appearance from Cassian & K2 :woot:

17. Karelia I Know

The one thing that's awesome about Dave Filoni is he will pull from the EU, canonizing it, keeping the main characterization within, but still putting his own spin on it. So far, I love what he has done with Thrawn, from the trailer, it looks like he will have some physical combat scenes, which I don't remember him having in the Thrawn trilogy. I was waiting for a chapter with him doing some physical combat... but it never happened. I didn't like the way he went out, either.

That said, I'd love to see him work Starkiller within Rebels. Ahsoka vs Starkiller would be an interesting thing to see. Darth Bane has been semi-introduced in S6 of Clone Wars, but I'd love to get more of him... Even if it's just a holocron.

18. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Thrawn has been physical before in Legends. In the 1995 short story "Mist Encounter" it dealt with how the Empire first discovered Thrawn during his exile from the Chiss Ascendency. Thrawn was basically living in a forest world attacking Stormtroopers like John Rambo in First Blood, using traps and confusion to take his enemies apart.

[​IMG]

19. Karelia I Know

That's awesome. I haven't read that... I'm actually catching up on a lot of Legends stories I haven't read over the years. Too bad he didn't have any combat skills in the Thrawn trilogy, though. :( (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember him having any.)

Love that picture.

20. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

He didn't physically fight anyone in the original trilogy, but they never implied that he wasn't capable of it either.

21. Karelia I Know

After playing Shadows of the Empire and Dark Forces I & II... I'd love to see Dash Rendar and Kyle Katarn in it.

22. TheVileOne Registered

I wish we could get Katarn or Rendar removed from Legends exile, but I'm not holding my breath either.

I'm a little surprised we never saw Cad Bane again.

23. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Cad Bane's showing up in the new Darth Maul comic.

24. Lord All Mighty

Doesn't that Darth Maul comic book take place before Episode I though?

I wonder if the show will use Boba Fett. He's in the right age to appear and his power levels are closer to those of the characters than Vader's or the Emperor's.

25. The Big G A Filthy Ningen

I think they're saving Bane for an eventual encounter/showdown with Boba for the crown of top bounty hunter in the galaxy. Which should be its own separate thing IMO.

I do think we'll see Boba this upcoming season. Filoni's done the most work developing Boba as a character in the canon. So I could see them bringing him back.

I do think they need to find a better way to connect Boba with the Mandolorians though. Like as much as it pains me to accept Boba and Jango not being Mandos (Jango Fett: Open Seasons will always hold a special place in my heart) I do think they NEED some kinda of significant connection with the Mandolorians other than just wearing the armor. Or at least Jango needs a connection. Boba wearing the armor because his dad did/honoring his Dad is perfectly fine with me but Jango needs something.

Personally I'd love it if Jango as a child was enslaved by a Clan of rogue Mandos and they took him to Concord Dawn and raised him and then Jango "unchained" himself killed them all and took their armor cuz why not. But that's just me.

Also I'd like Bossk to show up so they could play off the fact that Bossk and Ezra know each other.