The Witcher - A new Saga Begins

Hopefully Witcher 4 or equivalent can help CDProjekt get back to the top after Cyberpunk.

Ditching their RED Engine for UE5? Seems it caused them too many issues with CP2077.

Another early announcement and we all know how that turned out the last time. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...

See y'all in 8+ years. :o

Ditching their RED Engine for UE5? Seems it caused them too many issues with CP2077.

Another early announcement and we all know how that turned out the last time. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...

Oh, I didn’t realise CP was done on their own engine. Hopefully that means much less issues with the next game.

Considering everyone truly responsible for the Witcher games has left the studio, this obvious announcement doesn't get me nearly hyped as it should.

More like they want to get this game out soonish. For all the talk of Cyberpunk selling well, it has not done the business they promised investors.

This industry cant deliver a game in a reasonable time frame to save its life so I'll be surprised if this is less than 4 years from release.

Less than 4 years for a PS5/XSX gen Witcher doesn’t even seem possible given modern studio work processes.

Depends on how much time they worked this game with the RED Engine.

Is it really an early announcement when we know they have been working on this game for a while, and moving resources from Cyberpunk to this?

Less than 4 years for a PS5/XSX gen Witcher doesn’t even seem possible given modern studio work processes.

They already have 2-3 years work in already. They were working on this, even if not the majority of their staff, while Cyberpunk was being worked on.

Oh yeah that was just a general comment for modern RPG timescales from day 1 to completion. They aren’t going to get any significant positive publicity from Cyberpunk at this point against the backdrop of how it disappointed so many people vs its expectations, no matter what they do. People also wouldn’t trust a new IP from them to the same extent. Getting a top quality Witcher out asap is their best strategy and they would have known that and accelerated whatever they were doing on that front a while back.

I wonder where they'd pick up. Last game My boy Gerarlt. (Gerard? Gerart? Gerarldt? G-man?) was chilling in his own state in Spainitaly.

Which of the endings will they pick up as canon?

Or is it a reboot?

I wonder where they'd pick up. Last game My boy Gerarlt. (Gerard? Gerart? Gerarldt? G-man?) was chilling in his own state in Spainitaly.

Which of the endings will they pick up as canon?

Or is it a reboot?
Witcher 3 imported the player's Witcher 2 save and adjusted the worldstate based on that. I assume they'll do the same so they don't have to pick a canon ending for 3.

A prequel saga set anytime after the Conjunction would work too. Theyve got 1500 years before Geralt to play around with.

Oh yeah that was just a general comment for modern RPG timescales from day 1 to completion. They aren’t going to get any significant positive publicity from Cyberpunk at this point against the backdrop of how it disappointed so many people vs its expectations, no matter what they do. People also wouldn’t trust a new IP from them to the same extent. Getting a top quality Witcher out asap is their best strategy and they would have known that and accelerated whatever they were doing on that front a while back.

The Witcher was always going to be their next game, though. That's the thing. Yes, Cyberpunks failure means that the shifted resources from Cyberpunk to Witcher a bit quicker than originally planned.

TBH I think the early announcement will be more about recruitment. Working with UE5 will also make hiring experienced devs much easier too.

Interest to see what direction they go in with this one. There's a lot of ways this could go, so not getting mega hyped until we see whats on offer. Didnt get involved in Cyberpunk but it seemed mostly to be a PR disaster so "hopefully" W4 can course correct for the studio. I hope they can pull it off but following up W3 is no small feat.

The Witcher was always going to be their next game, though. That's the thing. Yes, Cyberpunks failure means that the shifted resources from Cyberpunk to Witcher a bit quicker than originally planned.
Yeah I also think that. Just had to say some of the above in reverse as people thought I didn’t think that. For clarity:

1.They were always going to do Witcher next even if Cyberpunk had succeeded.
2.Upcoming mega-RPGs on PS5/XSX gen feel impossible to create in less than 4 years from start to finish given modern workflow at the top studios.
3.They were already working on the next Witcher game while dealing with the Cyberpunk aftermath.
4.With Cyberpunk’s reception they are likely to have moved resources to Witcher more aggressively and getting it out quickly but also at top quality is more urgent than it was.

I thought the medallion in the teaser promotion looked odd, but I thought maybe it was a redesigned wolf medallion. I wonder which creature the medallion is supposed to be? Its got whiskers, eyes, and ears like a minx or bobcat. Perhaps it's the school of the Leopard or the Jaguar.

Random theory: At some point following Witcher 3, Ciri decided that the world did still need witchers, and acted to help recreate the witcher mutagens and processes so that one or more new schools could be founded. Presumably with the intent that these be somewhat more humane as orphanages go ( read: she created/acquired mutagens with a much, much lower death rate ), though whether things go as intended could be up for debate. Geralt might be involved in some minimal level as an adviser.

( So why are more witchers needed? Maybe there's some new Conjunction-ish cosmic crap happening, maybe the state of magic is recovering after a decades long low point. Maybe Ciri just wants to *not* have to babysit one planet indefinitely. )

With a brand new Witcher school, I'm wondering if this game will go down the route of creating your own Witcher character. I can see them following the same path as Cyberpunk, with a set main character but you can choose gender/appearance.

And then I imagine, even with a new world and story, we're likely to have Ciri and co featuring as characters.

Would also be cool if this was set in the past, earlier in the timeline. Explore some more history from the world.

Maybe, like in the Witcher 3 there are sections where you can play as Ciri or Geralt. But I'd love to create my own Witcher character.

I'm glad this series is continuing. Hopefully they'll never attempt to adapt a table top game again. They were in over their heads before they ever wrote a single line of code for cyberpunk. Leave that Larian Studios or the folks at Obsidian.

Ditching their own tech for Unreal is a step in the right direction as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"