The Wolverine THE WOLVERINE Trailer Thread - Second Teaser Online May 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Viper acting supposed to be doing in the face pulling scene? I don't get the reason.

While I don't think the action will be what I envision, I think what is far more important is the writing of the characters and the story. And you can't see that in a trailer.

Origins biggest problem, more then Logan looking absolutely ridiculous in the majority of the combat or them "messing up Deadpool", was how little substance it had. Everything in between the fight scenes rang hollow. Broad, uninteresting strokes that matched the fight scenes and 1-D characters. The one moment Origins had me was Kayla's saving of Logan. It had genuine emotion.

This looks pretty goofy to me right now, but if they nail that stuff, well I'll get over those little problems pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Agreed. I don't it's meant to be taken literally at all, either.

Well, given that this is all from the studio that said the Silver Surfer get's his powers from his board......can ya blame us?

A lot of this stuff may seem small and inconsequential but it really isn't. Especially when you have a whole lot of little bits like that that only serve to take the IP further away from it's source material and all that made people like it in the first place. Nitpicks may be nitpicks but when you have a whole lotta them they can bring down a movie significantly.

I'm hoping this whole immortal schtick is just that japanese guy's misunderstanding of Logan's condition. We'll see.

And again I keep asking, "What immortality?!!".:doh:

He ain't Thor.

Didn't you see the deleted scene in Origins where Christopher Lambert turns up and says "there can be only one"? :oldrazz:

But honestly though. I would blame the comics. They have turned Logan's healing factor into a joke. However I think the term may be used loosely here. I wouldn't go getting in such a twist over it.

I mean living for a very very very long time due to a superpowered healing factor and living forever and ever could seem like splitting hairs. From Logan's point of view it may as well be immortality because he doesn't know how much longer he will live and if there's a way to actually kill him.

No problem. Here ya go!

M33OcBE.gif

Awesome. You're the best, Kane. :up:

Last edited:
While I don't think the action will be what I envision, I think what is far more important is the writing of the characters and the story. And you can't see that in a trailer.

Origins biggest problem, more then Logan looking absolutely ridiculous in the majority of the combat or them "messing up Deadpool", was how little substance it had. Everything in between the fight scenes rang hollow. Broad, uninteresting strokes that matched the fight scenes and 1-D characters. The one moment Origins had me was Kayla's saving of Logan. It had genuine emotion.

This looks pretty goofy to me right now, but if they nail that stuff, well I'll get over those little problems pretty quickly.
Pretty much all we got in the teasers was meant to hammer us on the head with loudness and action. Would have preferred to seen more subtlety and the quieter moments but I guess they were trying to make up for the delay with more action set pieces.

The one thing that turns me off is the DI used on it. I'm tired of post-production color correction turning nice action movies into Terminator 2, starring a cast of living oranges.

The one thing that turns me off is the DI used on it. I'm tired of post-production color correction turning nice action movies into Terminator 2, starring a cast of living oranges.

What? That's the best thing about it. I've booked my tickets for Iron Man 3 just because I want to see the Mandarin. :o

[BLACKOUT]Que "that's not what it means" correction in 3... 2... 1... :oldrazz:[/BLACKOUT]

Doesn't the sleek SS look extra big? Am I the only one who thinks he's sentinel sized?

I think that's just the perspective. A Sentinel Silver Samurai armour would be a daft idea and turn the film into a weird anime mech story (Super big Robo-Samurai guy 6 lol)

Didn't you see the deleted scene in Origins where Christopher Lambert turns up and says "there can be only one"? :oldrazz:

But honestly though. I would blame the comics. They have turned Logan's healing factor into a joke. However I think the term may be used loosely here. I wouldn't go getting in such a twist over it.

I mean living for a very very very long time due to a superpowered healing factor and living forever and ever could seem like splitting hairs. From Logan's point of view it may as well be immortality because he doesn't know how much longer he will live and if there's a way to actually kill him.

Oh, I'm not gonna throw a fit about it. But it does underly a problem I've had with most superhero/comics films: subtlety.....or more correctly the lack thereof.

And I'd say Fox as a studio is probably the single biggest offender in that respect.

Well, given that this is all from the studio that said the Silver Surfer get's his powers from his board......can ya blame us?

But that film and a bunch of other crap was made under the management of Tom Rothman, who isn't even the head of 20th Century Fox anymore.

But that film and a bunch of other crap was made under the management of Tom Rothman, who isn't even the head of 20th Century Fox anymore.

It still smacks of the same "we're not putting as much thought into this as we should and the property is worthy of" mentality.

What is Viper acting supposed to be doing in the face pulling scene? I don't get the reason.

She's peeling the dead skin off, so her new skin underneath can breathe. Just like how snakes shed their skin. She probably has to do that all of the time.

I think that's just the perspective. A Sentinel Silver Samurai armour would be a daft idea and turn the film into a weird anime mech story (Super big Robo-Samurai guy 6 lol)

silversentinel.jpg
It looks kinda big. I can't tell if it's the perspective. Maybe this uber company helps create the Sentinels for DOFP?

Origins biggest problem, more then Logan looking absolutely ridiculous in the majority of the combat or them "messing up Deadpool", was how little substance it had.

No, XOW's biggest problem was Tom Rothman.

Silver Samurai reminds me of Shredder from TMNT.

That's a good thing, right?

Oh, I'm not gonna throw a fit about it. But it does underly a problem I've had with most superhero/comics films: subtlety.....or more correctly the lack thereof.

And I'd say Fox as a studio is probably the single biggest offender in that respect.

Sorry, I don't quite follow. I'm not sure how you go from a complaint about labeling Wolverine immortal to 'lack of subtlety'. I don't see the common thread.

Nah, I'll admit it made me smirk. :yay:

My alternative joke would have been "Living Oranges. The proposed sequel to Killer Tomatoes."

Doesn't the sleek SS look extra big? Am I the only one who thinks he's sentinel sized?

No...but the fact that he looks like he's in a lab in that scene gives me the impression that he is another science experiment. Maybe even using Wolverine's powers...he may even be the old man himself rejuvenated...

silversentinel.jpg
It looks kinda big. I can't tell if it's the perspective. Maybe this uber company helps create the Sentinels for DOFP?

[YT]vh5kZ4uIUC0[/YT]

:oldrazz:

I'm kidding with the link btw.

I could be wrong, but I think it's because she's a way off from the armour and it may be on a platform higher up than she is (I'm assuming). That's my theory anyway.

Sorry, I don't quite follow. I'm not sure how you go from a complaint about labeling Wolverine immortal to 'lack of subtlety'. I don't see the common thread.

Subtlety as in....it would take a smart movie that can handle subtlety to correctly distinguish between immortality(which in the Marvel U actually does exist) and Wolverine's mutant condition so that the audience would be able to understand the difference. That's all. Just like the Sulver Surfer example I mentioned before. It seems like they are often changing things from source material not because they have a better idea(in that instance I'd be ok with what they're doing) but more from a point of oh, I dunno....laziness, expediency, apathy, lack of cleverness.....take your pick.

That I have a problem with.

"A change in management" means a different thing than what people outside the industry assume. Films put into place by the previous regime can take upwards of 3 years before all of them are released, and the only alternative is to either cancel a project's greenlight or simply eat the lump sum loss on any pre-production done before principal photography. It's not good for a corporation's bottom line and reputation to tell their investors a slew of their slate was just axed because of quality concerns. So sometimes they just roll with the punches.

Whether you liked Rothman's decisions on their Marvel properties or not, the guy's a shrewd businessman. He stuck by Cameron when the other execs thought Titanic was going to be a write-off, and he's one of the biggest reasons Avatar was even made after it was initially rejected. Yeah, I hated Origins, too. It's also fair to say a lot of the pop culture adaptations he approved of stunk to high heaven. But people get tunnel vision when they discuss him. He did lots of good during his tenure, like founding Fox Searchlight, which was definitely not about pure moneymaking and has given us all some great films.

Hmm, the vibe I got from this is that Logan doesn't outright lose his healing factor, but it's severely diminished. Looking at the Silver Samurai slash to the face scene, the wound heals, but I'm imagining that the major injuries, or a collection of little ones is taking longer and a longer to heal as the film goes on. Could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"