The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by slumcat, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaughingMage

LaughingMage Well-Known Member

Right, a bustier and panties aren't... but something like this is what people think of, when they thing of classical antiquity pretty much:

[​IMG]

2. LaughingMage

Actually, that's a myth:

Among Classical Greeks, amazon was given a popular etymology as from a-mazos "without breast", connected with an etiological tradition that Amazons had their right breast cut off or burnt out, so they would be able to throw their javelins;[citation needed] there is no indication of such a practice in works of art, in which the Amazons are always represented with both breasts, although the left is frequently covered (from Wikipedia).

3. kalelinri

kalelinri Well-Known Member

Classical Antiquity is a term to describe a large period of time in a very large Mediterranean region, not everybody dressed the same. What you posted looks more Roman Republic, and that is fine. Personally, i tend to think of Wonder Woman more Hellenistic than Roman Republic.

4. SofNascimento

SofNascimento Well-Known Member

That's a hoplite I reckon... as acient greece as it can get. Roman republic would be more like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, for me, any sort of ancient reference should be only lightely used at best. The default Wonder Woman costume never had anything to do with any sort of ancient armors, no reason the film version has to. No to mention the designs people come up based on those armors don't look good. And this is actually the most important part.

5. kalelinri

kalelinri Well-Known Member

that look's correct. My bad.

6. LaughingMage

While that is true it's simply the logical step to take to establish a theme for a WW Universe. Batman got the whole "Urban Avenger" schtick and Superman the "Alien Sci-Fi" angle. Since Greek Mythology is such a huge part of WW it's only logical to streamline the whole concept. WW always had this problem in her books. Nobody knows what to do with her. The best versions are those that whole heartedly embraces the greek mythology thing. Be it Perez, the animated movie or the recent Azarello run.

Imho, the greek armor concept is the only thing that makes sense from a "world building" perspective, especially for a movie. Now, one can argue that WW in MOS 2 is an already established figure who has spent a lot of time in "man's world" an thus adapted her costume. However, if she's fresh of the island so to speak I say go with a greek armor influenced design.

7. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

I can't remember agreeing with a post so completely.

8. SofNascimento

SofNascimento Well-Known Member

I would cut a leg off to see a Wonder Woman film based on Azzarello's run directed by Del Toro, so in a sense I agree with you. Yet, her costume in the nu52 have nothing to do with ancient greek mithology. You could argue that the armor she uses to travel to Hell is, yet it's not her default one. It was even rejected for that role and then reused in the that particular story arc.

But I'm not saying I don't think a Wonder Woman costume shouldn't resemble an hoplite/roman armor or something in those lines. What I'm saying is that most fan made designs I see with that idea are mediocre. And mediocre just won't do. First and foremost it has to look good. Everything else is secundary.

9. charl_huntress

charl_huntress Well-Known Member

I'd like something that looked like armor on the top. I don't mind the battle skirt.

10. roach

roach I am the night

I'd like to see her in several costumes. I think people are over stating the amazon connections and yes she is an amazon warrior but I'd like to see her in something more super hero-y. If she is first coming to man's world she should look like she came from an island of amazons. I'd rather she have a costume that says Wonder Woman more than amazon.

11. Bathead

Bathead The Oldest Geek

And people wonder where Schumacher got the idea for the Bat-nipples. Well, there ya go .

12. roach

roach I am the night

just be glad we didn't get a belly button

13. KillerMcQueen

KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

I can understand what Schumacher was trying to do, but I'm astonished the nipples lasted more than one film, should've been obvious after Forever that it wasn't working.

Also, a lot of great things in that picture that I'd love to see re-imagined into a WW costume.

14. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

The giant cod pieces were what really freaked me out. The Bat-nipples were just dumb.

15. Wise

Wise Watchtower Janitor

I was more freaked out by the Bat thong.

[​IMG]

16. Loki882

And ironically, Batgirl's costume was the one that DIDN'T have nipples on it.

17. Loki882

The homoerotic undertones in that movie were so thick that you'd need a chainsaw to even attempt to cut through it.

18. Lobo

Lobo Snow Wifey

Away from bat thongs and back to Diana's costume, I just foundthis drawing and really liked the design

[​IMG]

19. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

If the choice is to go with a Paradise Isle that is totally in the classic "magical island" style, then a costume and armor that fits that will seem consistent. So more towards the Hoplite style with recognizable armor. If they go towards a mix of magic/science then perhaps a look that screams more "superhero" fits better.

20. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I like it but to many Ws in it.

21. Wise

Wise Watchtower Janitor

Well Kilmer was no stranger to home erotic undertones.

[​IMG]

22. Wise

Wise Watchtower Janitor

I don't mind that.

The shoulder pads are a bit much though.

23. haephestus

haephestus Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. Provided that Themyscira ends up being influenced by Greek culture and the Amazons end up being descendants from the Ancient Greeks or the Greek Gods.

Of course, if Themyscira ends up being based in Scythian or Sarmatian culture, then I would expect Wonder Woman's costume to reflect those origins, as "updated" by the Amazons throughout their time on Themyscira.

24. LibidoLoca

LibidoLoca Sensually Delicious

Wow, I really love that design. I do have a few nitpicks, but it's ONLY a few.

I am shocked that people don't pick him and Cruise as Best Onscreen Couple. :o

25. MrsKent26

MrsKent26 Whatever.

Not perfect, but very good. I wouldn't mind something like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.