The "World of Heroes" DC RPG Season IV

Vertigo: Part XII
Vertigo Castle

The appearance of Poison Ivy was just what Deadshot needed as he made a break for it, and started up the spiralling staircase that would bring him to Vertigo’s private office. Walking up the stairs, Deadshot was happy to note that most of the guards in the vicinity beneath him, were making their way towards the ruckus, allowing him to stealthily climb the steps.

Two loyal guards remained standing outside Vertigo’s door however, vigilant, but with a quick use of the silencer, the two men dropped dead, and Deadshot kicked them to the side. Taking a cigarette from one of his pockets, he lit it, and blew out a few smoke rings before kicking down the door to the chamber.

“Hello, Floyd.”

London was a disaster area by the time he arrived. Hurricane force winds lashed the ancient city. Lightning struck down from the heavens like the hand of an angry God. Tornadoes tossed about buildings, cars, and people. It was as apocalyptic as any storm he'd ever seen. He also knew, from the size of the cloud that covered the city, that it was in no way a natural storm. He recalled one of the Flash's rogues who had the ability to control the weather. Hovering in the storm, his cape whipping fiercely behind him, Superman scanned the black cloud with his X-Ray vision.

There, in the center of the cloud, was the Weather Wizard. His hands were outstretched, some kind of energy leaping from them. Superman's hearing picked up the madman's cackle. Frowning, he flew into the storm.

He emerged into a tempest of astounding ferocity. When he first learned that he could fly, he'd taken every opportunity to do it, and he always enjoyed flying through the clouds. There was something comforting about them, about how insubstantial they were. But this cloud was something wholly different than the ones above Smallville. It fought him, and pulled at him.

Suddenly, he was in front of the Weather Wizard. The madman bore a wide smile on his face. "Weather Wizard, stop this now!"
The Wizard looked at him, an unsettling glare fixed on Superman. "This storm ends when the British government gives me a billion pounds. Or I kill all of ol' London town. You think you can stop me, little boy Blue?"
Superman folded his arms across his chest. "I don't think I can stop you, Wizard, I know I can. So the choice is yours. You can stop this storm and I can take you in peacefully, or you can make things difficult for youself."
"You know, I knew you were powerful. I didn't think you were stupid. This little game goes on until I get paid or all those people are dead."
"The hard way it is, then."

In front of the Weather Wizard's eyes, Superman vanished in a blur. He looked down, at the storm of the milennia that he'd created. Before his gaze, the tornadoes stopped spinning and vanished. He tried to summon them again, but couldn't. The hurricane winds died away. He felt warmth on the back of his hand. When he looked, he saw sunlight shining down on it. Around him, the clouds he'd gathered together dissipated, and he couldn't call them back. The rain stopped.

Fifteen seconds after he'd vanished, Superman reappeared in front of the Weather Wizard, arms still folded across his chest. "You don't know how often I wish that you supervillains could just, for once, surrender peacefully." He reached out with his right hand, index and thumb pressed together.
"Oh n-" was all the Wizard managed to say before Superman's flick sent him into unconsciousness. Superman grabbed the supervillain by the scruff of the neck before he could fall farther. Seeing a shocked constable below him, Superman landed and handed the Weather Wizard over. "I think you can take it from here, sir. Sorry I couldn't be of more help." Superman said as he deposited the criminal into the haggard, shocked man's custody. With a wave, he flew off. It's almost six AM in Metropolis, I've got to be there to wish Lois a good morning. Not to mention I have to make my blueberry waffles she's so fond of.

After Billy read his newscast Mr. Perkins calls him into his office. Billy sits down as Perkins studies him for a minute. Billy asks, "Mr. Perkins is there something I can help you with?" Perkins replies, "There's somethig strange with you Billy. I mean you show up here and suddenly there are Captain Marvel sightings in Metropolis. There hasn't been a sign of him in Fawcett City since you left. I mean yeah there are reports of Mary Marvel & Captain Marvel Jr. there but the big guy is nowhere to be found." Billy says, "Well Mr. Perkins Captian Marvel always goes wherever there's a need to help. I just happen to be at the right place at the right time like any good reporter."

Perkins nods and says, "True... it's just strange though. I mean I look at you and well that's just silly Marvel is a full grown adult...you...you're a kid." Billy smiled and said, "Oh yeah there is no way I'm. No way." Well without saying a certain word that is.

Perkins still stairing at him finally says, "Oh you're right Billy. Of course you're not him it was a silly thought on my part forget I even thought it. Listen I need you to go down to the wire room. Superman was in London and I need you to get the story ready for your newscast at the bottom of the hour." Billy says, "Yes sir Mr. Perkins."

Billy leaves Perkins' office and heads to the wire room. Woah that was close...how do the other guys dodge bullets like that one. I guess being a kid does have certain advantages after all.

“I’m interested. You’re a smart guy. If you wanted to start up a group you’ve probably got many good reasons. I expect that you have some specific cases you’d want us to start with right? Also, who else do we have lined up to join?”

I motion toward Batman to take a seat, and I wait for the answers to my quires.

Roy pulled his car into the underground private lot at the JSA Brownstone, and used his Titans clearance to take the elevator up to Jessie Quick's room. He knocked on her door, "Hey, Jessie, it's Roy."

The door sprung open and a small raven haired girl ran to tackle her loving father. "DAADDY!!!!"

Lian.jpg

"Have fun with Aunt Jessie, sweetie?"

"YEAH!!!! We watched movies and ate ice cream, and chocolate and soda and gummi bears, and went to bed reeeeal late."

"Dear god, Jessie, are you trying to kill me? Oh well, it's your problem not mine. I need you to watch Lian for a couple more days, I need to run to Gotham and talk to some old friends of mine about joint business ventures if you know what I mean."

"Yeah saw your handiwork on channel four Roy, good job. Glad you've decided to stop slumping around and to start doing the job you love again."

"Daaaddy? Are you a hero again?"

"Daddy shoulda never stopped Lian. But I've gotta go find your Uncle Dick and talk to him."

"The one who has no sense of humor?"

A small grin crept to Roy's face. Dick will kill me if he ever hears her say that, but the look on his face'd be priceless..."Yeah, that one. You be good for Aunt Jessie now though, kay?"

"Course daddy."

Roy went back down to the garage and started south towards Gotham.

Watchman said:
Scarecrow fealt very uncomfortable when Joker put his arm around him but he just ignored him. He walked away from the Joker and to the body of Agent Stone and took the gun from Stone's jacket.

"Well Joker I've been thinking about Bludhaven and everything we've cause" he stared out the window "this was our trial run now we moved on to much larger targets like Gotham or Metropolis. Just think what we can do together we can bring down this nation...so what do you say?"

The Joker faked a yawn.

"Boring!" he exclamed, "You need to stop thinking so small! Yes, I still have in my possession the full-size venom bomb we produced. But why waste it on destroying a city? That's small potatoes!"

Franklin Richards said:
Clown talk to Baghead forever. Grundy beginning to remember the Pain. Grundy don't like the Pain. Grundy want to go outside and find someone to share The Pain with.

Baghead and Clown can talk. Grundy want to SMASH.

"Solomon Grundy born on a Monday..."

And with that Grundy smashed the ground creating quite a shockwave. The Scarecrow, Joker, and Harlequinn pick themselves up from the ground. A moment of silence hangs on the air.

"Hahahahaha" Grundy giggled. "You guys look funny."

:marv: :marv: :marv:

The Joker cleared his throat, straightening his jacket and picking up his cane.

"Why...erm...thank you, Solly. Good to see I make you laugh. After all, that's what I'm here for! HA HA!"

The Joker turned his attention back to Scarecrow.

"Now, don't be glum, Scarechum," he continued, "I have a plan of my own, which I think you'd like to be a part of. Why target a city, when the whole world could be our playground? My...business associate and I have formed a plan to annihilate the world's superheroes once and for all. And I have a very special role in mind for you. Now, all I need to know is...are you in?

Ash Loomis said:
“I’m interested. You’re a smart guy. If you wanted to start up a group you’ve probably got many good reasons. I expect that you have some specific cases you’d want us to start with right? Also, who else do we have lined up to join?”

I motion toward Batman to take a seat, and I wait for the answers to my quires.

I stay standing. Not because I mean to be disrespectfull, I'm just not a "sit down and discuss" kind of guy. Maybe as Bruce, but not as Batman.

"I aim to start with Penguin's operation. You most likely remember how I got part of his organization when he put the offers on the tables of the rest of the business owners. I'm going to get some spys inside, extract concrete evidence, expose his 'legit' operation for what it is, and put him in jail for good. That's just to start.

"I'm going to investigate Luthor's operations. He may seem good now, but I won't trust him until I see solid proof otherwise.

"If all of that works well, then I'm going to spread out of the country and operate on a more world-wide scale. The Outsiders are going to be more than the Justice League is now. We'll go to places they can't. I aim to stop the more corrupt ways of government not just here in the states, but world-wide.

"As for others, most of my Gotham operatives are in on some level, and I've just spoken to Question, and I've gotten confirmations from both Metamorpho and Katanna. I'm also planning to get Green Arrow, Vera Black, and Black Lightning."

The Iceburg Lounge wass quiet,tonight.Quieter than usual.Of course,that's because it was Monday.Oswald 'The Penguin' Cobblepot usually inspects his weekly profits on Monday evening,after the Lounge closes.

Monday is also the second day of the week.But Cobblepot never payed attention to that,honestly.He was too busy admiring his sucessful takes,week after week.

His mistake.

Are you sure about this?

You want power,don't you,Dent?

Everyone wants power.It's human nature.But...

Then shut up and let me handle it.

Two-Face looks over,and nods at his goons,who stand to the right of him.The men nod back,before entering the Iceburg,loading their guns.

That should keep Cobblepot's bodyguards busy,for now.It wouldn't do much,really,it was only temporary.But Harvey had other intentions.He was here to talk to the man himself.

Making his way around the building,Two-Face knocked once on the wall.Then he knocked again.This time,though,the wall had a completely different sound.It was hollow.Two-Face smirked.

"Same Ole' Ozzie."

Then,Harvey proceeded to open the wall,via a secret passage.It was used for Oswald's quick escapes from rival gangs,the police,and...more frequently,Batman.But when Oswalds territory was taken over by Two-Face,He gained everything.Ownership of the Lounge,the city,And Oswald's secrets.

Two-Face,in a sense,owned all that was Oswald Cobblepot.And he wasn't about to give that,or any other part of his power up.

Oswald Cobblepot sat behind his desk,as gunfire could be heard.He held a shotgun in his hand,ready for the oncoming attackers.Of course,what he didn't count on was someone coming in through the secret passage,behind his desk.

Grabbing Oswald by the throat,Two-Face lifted him up,and turned him around,putting a gun to his head.Oswald's eyes widened.

"You!How Did-?"

Two-Face ignored the question.Cobblepot would figure it out,eventually.

"It's Been A Long Time,Oswald."

Two-Face leaned in closer.

"...Too Long.Wouldn't You Say...Partner?"

"*waugh*Wha..What are you talking about?!I have no buisness with you,Dent!Your appearance here is the first I've even seen you in months!"

Two-Face scowled.

"Don't Act Dumb,Penguin!You Damn Well Know Who Runs The Show Around Here!Think About It...Your Territory Under Seige...All Of It...Even The Lounge."

Two-Face watched as Oswald contemplated this through his head,as He lied against his desk,with a gun pointed at his temple.

"But..That would make you.."

"Owner?Yeah,It's About Time You Figured It Out.Seems You Don't Have As Much Power As You Thought,Eh Ozzie?"

Two-Face enjoyed the look of utter humiliation and dispair in Oswald's eyes as the realisation sank in.He wanted to savor this moment...it was what he was looking for.He had made Oswald believe he was still as powerful as ever,no questions asked,for months.And now,Oswald was aware of his true defeat.

He's startin' to get it.

...As much as I hate what you're doing,I have to admit...This is enjoyable.

That's the smartest thing you've said in years,Harvey.

Oswald sighed and looked up at Two-Face.

"What do you want?"

"Black Mask.His Gang Is Still Active.And I Want You To Tell Me What You Know About This.Is He Back In Gotham?"

"I..I severed my ties with Mr.Sionis after the incident a few months back.As far as I know,He is not even in the city anymore."

Two-Face leaned his head in,closer...angrier.

"You Wouldn't Be Lying To Me,Would You...Pengy?"

Oswald shook his head.

"I assure you that my claims are absolutely legitimate."

Two-Face released Oswald,and kicked him in the stomach,making him kneel over.Pointing the gun to the top of his head,Two-Face took out his coin.Throwing it up,He watched as it flipped back down,into his hand,on the 'Good Heads' side.

Thank God!

DAMN IT!

Two-Face took the gun away from his head,as he walked back towards the secret entrance.He believed Oswald's claim that he didn't know if Black Mask was back in town or not.Didn't mean he wasn't,but it meant Oswald didn't know.

It didn't matter...just the look on Oswalds face when he realised everything he owned belonged to Two-Face was worth the trip.To both sides of Two-Face's psyche,surprisingly.

Oswald looked back,slowly standing up.

"Maybe we can come to an agreement,concerning my properties?"

"Go To Hell."

Star City is a cross between Gotham and Metropolis,it has its dark side and then its light.Tonight is one of the most coldest nights to tip the bucket.They say each resident of Star City has their own star watching over them,I guess mine would be Dinah.Ever since her death I've felt a missing part of my heart has been missing,like a puzzle missing a piece to complete it.I could never forgive myself.The last sight I saw of her before she sacrificed her own life to protect mine,I dont deserve to be here right now.But its because of her I continue to wear the mask and carry the bows.Shes my motivation,and I know one day we'll be reunited once again.

"Roy can you hear me?" "I just wanted to let you know Im borrowing one of your bikes."
"Dont worry,Ill bring her back in mint condition."

I got a recent lead from a trust worthy source about illegal drugs coming from the harbor of Star City.My guess its for the half the meta's that destroy these streets and make them even stronger then before.
I roar the engine and make my way there.

When I do,I see a large boat with heavy boxes and tons of goons carrying them.

"This should be fun." I mumble.

I grab one of the goons who come by my way and luckily didn't see me.I pin him against the walls with two arrows and yell at him.

"WHERE ARE THESE DRUGS COMING FROM?!"

"I aint tell'in you **** Robin Hood."

Now he's just trying to tick me off.I grab my bow and slowly see him sweating non stop.I pull back an arrow to give him the impression that Ill lunch it straight through his skull.

"How about now?"

"Ok ok!"
"T..T..Take it easy man."
"I just take orders from a guy who carries a bow just like the one you have there!"

I lower my bow a little,and think to myself.

"What?"

"Yeah yeah,h..h..his name is Merlyn I think."He pays me alot of cash for me and my crew to export these shipments out of Hub City."

"Merlyn?"
"Hub City?"
"Why the hell would he get those drugs from there?"
"He's already got an operation here in Star."

I dont like this.Merlyn and I have crossed paths numerous times,and he's almost won out of all of them.Pure luck and skill is how I got out of those binds.Along with his assassins he's one of my deadliest adversaries.I have to do some more digging.

"Thanks for the information punk."

I pull away my bow and pack back my arrows right before the helpless goon wets himself and falls to the floor wimpering.As he does a key card falls from his jacket.I cuff him and take it,it could come in handy.

I head for the ship and take out the guards in less then 4 seconds and quickly move past them before Im seen.

As I make my way in,the alarm goes off.I must have tripped an invisible laser.

"Dammit"

I run as fast as I can to a little shaft I saw and hid there so I dont blow my cover.I cant risk getting caught.I peek slightly and see about 6 men running to the entrance of the ship where the alarm had rang.One curses in a language I've yet to hear.With their backs turned,I ran to a small door I saw and thought about hiding in there.When I got to it,it was locked,I looked at the side of it and saw a card slot.I immediatly remembered the card I picked up.

"Guess you did have a purpose after all didnt you,fella?" I said while smirking.

When I got in I put my back to the wall and took a deep breath.Behind me I hear a weird sound.

"Nmmm!!Nmm!"

I quickly turned around and saw a helpless woman tied up to her hands and knees.She had dark hair and was blindfolded.I took it off and she backed way scared.

"Relax,Im here to help you."

"Who are you?"
"Please help me!"I was in my office and suddenly kidnapped!"The next thing you know Im here and have no clue why"I was snooping around and putting clues I gathered abouu drug use pulluting the streets of Hub City."

"Was she kidding me?"
"She just answered her own reason for being here."
"Look,you've been kidnapped by one of the worlds deadliest assassins."
"Obviously he didnt want anyone knowing about his secret operation,and when he found out you were close to uncovering it,thats when knew he had to get rid of you."
"Im here to make sure that doesnt happen,Ms....."

"Cortez.Rochelle Cortez."
"It's my own fault Im here,I was to nosy."
"But Hub is getting worse everyday because of it,and I want it to stop."
"How are we going to get out of here?"

"Im working on that."

I looked every around the room to find something that could help.The alarm got louder and I knew sooner or later I'd be found along with this new lady Cortez.Thats when I looked up and saw a hatch leading to the top of the boat.

"Come here and step on my shoulders"
"Why?"
"Just trust me,I think I can get us both out of here."
"Theres a hatch up there which we have to get to in order to get out of here."
"Ill give you a boost"

When she climbed on top of me her heels made her nearly slip,but I managed to hold her tight.One screw up and we'd be goners.She opend the lock and climbed through the exit.

"Give me your hand and Ill pull you up!"

I didnt see how that could happen considering I weighed a ton,but still it was only one option I had.And Im a real risk taker.To my suprise she was able to lift me by using both her hands and the edge of the hatch to force herself up.I took it she worked out.

"Stop them now!They will ruin the whole plan!!"

Cortez and I saw Merlyns men packed with guns and knifes coming toward us and thwarting our escape.

"We have to jump"
"Are you crazy?!"
"Yes,unless you dont want to live"
"Now look whose talking,lets go rapido!"

We made a brake for it and jumped off the ship fast.The landing was pretty solid and high.but Ive fallen higher and it was not fun.I grabbed her arm and swam us both back to shore.The armed men were shooting at us rapidly,that Im suprised Im here talking still.I found safe grounds for us both to regain our strength.

"We made it safe and sound."

And thats when she surprisingly kisses me.

"What are you doing?!"

And I get up and push her away.After all my grief with Dinahs death,I will not get socialy involved with another woman.I would never be able to look at myself again if I ever did that to someone whose gone because of me and who I cared so deeply of.I carry these arrows for a new reason now,and nothing will get in the way of what I have to do.

"I was just....thanking you."

"Then all you had to say was that,you just dont understand what that did to me."
"I rescued you and now you're here without any damage."
"Thats as far as it goes,understand"
"I have issues with women....."

"Im sorry I dont know what got into me,I hardly know you."
"Its late Im checking into a hotel and leaving for Hub City tomorrow."
"What will you do?"

"Im going to Hub now and get some answers to my questions of why Merlyn brought these drugs here."
"There is no way I can rest without putting an end to it all.

I pass my hand through my hair realize I lost my hate while in the water.Its only the 35th one I lose,no big deal.Im out of breath but have to keep moving.Cortez ends up leaving by a taxi while I watch her from a rooftop through binoculars.

"Now that thats taking care of."

I head back to my hideout and get a fresh suit.After I see I have a message from Batman asking me to join his newly formed Outsiders team.That will have to wait,but I wouldnt mind joining.We could do alot of good.

Have to stick to my main priority right now.Cant let anything get in the way of it.

"Im going to Hub City."

Keyser Soze said:
The Joker faked a yawn.

"Boring!" he exclamed, "You need to stop thinking so small! Yes, I still have in my possession the full-size venom bomb we produced. But why waste it on destroying a city? That's small potatoes!"

The Joker cleared his throat, straightening his jacket and picking up his cane.

"Why...erm...thank you, Solly. Good to see I make you laugh. After all, that's what I'm here for! HA HA!"

The Joker turned his attention back to Scarecrow.

"Now, don't be glum, Scarechum," he continued, "I have a plan of my own, which I think you'd like to be a part of. Why target a city, when the whole world could be our playground? My...business associate and I have formed a plan to annihilate the world's superheroes once and for all. And I have a very special role in mind for you. Now, all I need to know is...are you in?

Scarecrow picked himself up and put Stone's gun in his coat. He then looked at the Joker.

"I'm in...now let's get started"

"

As he was blazing down the interstate towards Gotham, Roy felt his phone vibrate. He looked down and saw he had a missed call and voicemail from Ollie.

Batman said:

"Roy can you hear me?" "I just wanted to let you know Im borrowing one of your bikes."
"Dont worry,Ill bring her back in mint condition."

Goddammit Ollie, you best not have taken my Harley... I could give a s#!^ less if you took one of the Japper Crappers, but if you took the Harley, youse a dead man...

He picked up the phone and dialed Ollie, getting voice mail.

Must be busy doin something... "Hey Ollie, it's Roy. If you took one of the Kawasaki's, 'scool, don't worry bout it. But if I find one speck of dust on my Harley, I WILL pin you to the walls THROUGH your biceps and quads along with your hands and feet. Anyway, you need to come hang in New York some night, I'll let you meet some lady friends I think you may like. Talk atcha later."

Batman doesn’t sit down, so I decide to stay up as well. I just don’t get that guy. It’s like his manners go off the second he puts on that mask. I listen to what I say and as I could have guessed, he’s got some good plans, and some good people lined up. However, I am curious about one point of his plan.

“Sounds good to me Bats. I don’t trust Cobblepot or Luthor any farther than I can throw ‘em. I have to wonder though, who are these spies going to be? They have to be people who know our identities. I mean, if we just hire a bunch of spies to see if a former criminal is still breaking the law, they’re going to get suspicious aren’t they?”

Ash Loomis said:
Batman doesn’t sit down, so I decide to stay up as well. I just don’t get that guy. It’s like his manners go off the second he puts on that mask. I listen to what I say and as I could have guessed, he’s got some good plans, and some good people lined up. However, I am curious about one point of his plan.

“Sounds good to me Bats. I don’t trust Cobblepot or Luthor any farther than I can throw ‘em. I have to wonder though, who are these spies going to be? They have to be people who know our identities. I mean, if we just hire a bunch of spies to see if a former criminal is still breaking the law, they’re going to get suspicious aren’t they?”

"I had three people in mind, Vera Black, Batgirl, and Green Arrow. All three worked together during the Elite, doing the same sort of undercover work."

Johnny Blaze said:
McCulloch sat in the mirror dimension and bandaged his bleeding hand.
"Oi, gonna feel that one in'a morning."

He tried the gun in his bandaged hand...he sighed with relief as he was still able to wield it properly. As he looked through the looking glass, McCulloch smiled as he saw Deadshot get bombarded by the shrapnel of his grenade.

"Karma's a *****, ain't it?" Came a voice from all around Deadshot as he tore his mask off of his head.

As silent as death, McCulloch slowly materialized halfway from a shiny table top right behind Deadshot as the hitman gazed down the hallway, guns at the ready.
McCulloch smiled wide. He had him. All it would take is a single, clean shot and this would be over. He slowly brought his gun in line with the back of Deadshot's head.
"G'bye, Alice", he said with a malicious grin.

He was so focused on Deadshot that he was taken by surprise when a long vine reached from down the hallway, grabbed his gun hand by the wrist, and yanked him completely from the table.
"What th' bloody hell?"

Another vine shot in, wrapping itself around McCulloch's torso and began to squeeze the air out of him like a serpent. Looking to see who his attacker was, he was visibly surprised to see Poison Ivy moving down the hall towards him, wreathed in plant life.
He tried to mutter a smartass remark, but all that came out was a weak grunt.
"That's...quite a...grip...ye have...there...lass", said McCulloch in a strained voice as the air was being ripped from his lungs by the crushing vines.
Ivy said nothing in return. She just starred blankly at him as she approached, vines writhing around her as though they were snakes.
All right, 'nough 'o this, thought McCulloch as he was able to reach into a belt pouch and pull out a small device. Activating it, a small white hot beam of light appeared from it's tip and sheared the vine off at it's main stalk. McCulloch dropped to the floor, and was up in an instant, running into a nearby door.

Ivy didn't protest in the least as her plant was injured. Her facial expression did not change whatsoever. She simply continued on methodically after the Mirror Master. Slamming open the doors to the room McCulloch entered, Ivy found herself in a large, laveshly decorated ball room, with a huge chandileer hanging overhead.
Walking into the room, Ivy began searching for the Mirror Master.
It wasn't until she made it to the center of the dance floor when the bellowous laughter filled the room.

"Hahahahahahahaha...ye got the drop on me before, Ivy dear. I was so preoccupied with Lawton, I din't even notice ya. But that's not happenin' again."

Mirror Master's face appeared in the ball room floor, taking up the entire dance area.

"Now it's my turn", he said with an evil grin.
With a salute and a smile to Ivy, the giant chandileer came crashing down. Ivy was able to just avoid being cut to ribbons as it hit the floor and broke apart in thousands of shards of glass.

"Well done, lass. That was definitely thinkin' on your toes", laughed McCulloch.

Ivy got back up without a word and began to move around the room alertly.
As she neared the bar, McCulloch's face appeared in all the wine bottles.
"Beek-a-boo, luv", McCulloch said as he stuck out his tongue.

One of the vines still coiled around Ivy lashed out at the bottles shattering them all and spraying the entire bar in a rain of wine.

"Hahahahahahaha! Temper, temper lass! Ye'll never get anywhere if ye can't keep your head."
Ivy said nothing at all. Her face still stayed the same as she spun around and began to slowly stalk the room once more.

"Aww, what's wrong, darlin'?", McCulloch asked.
"Ya don't feel like talkin' today?"

Ivy gave no answer what-so-ever. She continued her slow march around the room, waiting for her enemy to expose himself so she can kill him once and for all.
"You're too high strung, that's the problem", laughed McCulloch.

"Now, I'm no shrink", said McCulloch as his hand slowly rose from the ground behind Poison Ivy holding a small device, "but I think ye need to lighten up a wee bit."

Activating the weapon, a small stream of fire shot out of the device at Ivy, setting her ablaze. Even as her plants burned to death, and as she rolled on the floor frantically to put out the flames, she did not scream. She did not even utter a sound.

"Bwahahahahaahahahahahaha", laughed McCulloch as he watched the display from a mirror dimension, "I'll have ta ask the Count who he gets to do his brain washin'. They do a damn fine job, from the look 'o things."

As the final flame disappeared from Ivy's person, she remained on the ground, catching her breath. Her hear was gone, her clothes had practically burned away or melted to her skin, and she was covered in major burns all over her body. By rights she shouldn't even have been moving, but she still tried to rise.

"Aye, a damn fine job", said McCulloch in a solemn voice as he watched the display.
"All right, I've had my fun for th' day. Time ta end this."

As the Mirror Master finished the sentenced, a half dozen armed guards burst into the room and began to move to the critically injured Poison Ivy. But, as they neared her, she vanished into the floor.

-----------------------------

The Vlatava hospital bustled with activity as doctors rushed back and forth to check on patients. It was a jumbled mess of organized chaos...your typical day in the ER.
Suddenly, to the surprise of all the onlookers, the burnt body of Poison Ivy melted up from the shiny hospital tiles. Along side her a bundle of American dollars. As medics rushed to her side, the face of the Mirror Master appeared in the tiles underneath them.

"Ye make sure she's given the best 'o care, or you'll end up worse than her", he said in a cold voice. After saying his piece, he disappeared.
McCulloch was headed back for Vertigo's castle. Back for the treasure's of the Count and his head.

MaskedManJRK said:
"I had three people in mind, Vera Black, Batgirl, and Green Arrow. All three worked together during the Elite, doing the same sort of undercover work."

“Ok then. Well, I’m in. Oh, by the way, did you get my e-mails? It seems the Joker’s loose and Solomon Grundy’s gone Kong on Harley Quinn! He’s working for them now! Also, there seems to be some kind of murderer going around in the sewers from around here to Jersey. The victims are turning up completely hallow. Grundy was hanging around down there, and he has done some weird stuff, but I doubt he would be able to do that.”

Vertigo: Part XIII
Vertigo Castle

Sitting in front of Floyd Lawton, in a lounge chair, was Count Werner Vertigo, sharply dressed in suit, and holding a chalice filled with wine. He motioned for Floyd to take one of the bottles on the desk and help himself to a drink, but instead, Floyd raised his wrist magnums.

“I’ve got a bullet with your name on it, Vertigo.”
“Mercenary as you were Lawton, I never figured you for a cheap Clint Eastwood imitator.”
“I don’t come cheap.”
“You were willing to kill me for free a few years ago.”
“Because you wanted me to.”
“Yes, yes, I guess, I did.” Vertigo replied coldly as he took a napkin and wiped the edges of his mouth, and put the chalice back on the desk in front of him.

As soon as the cup stood on the desk, Vertigo outstretched his hand, and the room around them became a whirling mass for Deadshot, as he could no longer discern up from down and right from left.

“To think you could attack me, right here in my country, in my chambers!” Vertigo’s voice echoed throughout the room as Deadshot gripped his head and held himself to the wall, trying to stop himself from falling over.

Vertigo came closer to Floyd, with a manic glee on his face as he upped his powers and Deadshot had trouble keeping his food down and staying standing. Grabbing his head, Vertigo forced Deadshot to look at him, and then slapped him, letting Floyd fall to the ground.

“To just kill me like a common peasant!” Vertigo yelled again as he gave a kick to the body of Floyd, who tried to get his bearings. Almost flinging across the room, Floyd smashed against the wall, and slumped down.

Deadshot remained conscious however, and saw as Vertigo approached him once more. With the smug confidence of royalty, the Count took a sable from the wall and moved to point it at Floyd’s exposed neck, when the mercenary suddenly raised his right hand, and a single bullet shot from his wrist magnum.

The bullet went on a devastating course as it hit the Count’s right ear, and Vertigo let the sable fall and gripped his ear, as the excruciating pain overwhelmed him. The vertigo-effect in the room worsened as Vertigo fell to his knees and screamed.

In a split second moment, Deadshot was able to fire three more bullets. Two of which missed their mark, but the third was able to hit the Count in his chest. The vertigo effect immediately dissipated as the Count fell, and started to draw laboured breaths.

As soon as the effect had disappeared, Deadshot puked to the side, before moving towards the man in front of him. Deadshot raised his hand again, the wrist magnum now pointed at Vertigo’s head.

“Do it, Lawton.” The Count sputtered.

Without a word, Deadshot fired the bullet and moved on to the vault behind a portrait of the count. Blasting away the lock with his magnums, the small vault swung open, revealing within it a small bag, and a letter, addressed to Floyd. Hesitantly, he took it and opened it.

The early morning light was just starting to touch the sky, as she walked home. It had been a quiet night, with, no sightings of the local bat family. It was chilly she shrugged her shoulders and burrowed the lower half of her face into her scarf. Her long black jacket billowed behind her.
“Ah N..”
The woman turned her head quickly, her dark hair pulled itself out of its confines in the black scarf and whipped across her face.
It wasn’t a female voice. She turned and ran towards it stopping after a while. Tilting her head she listened carefully. There was a crash and several coarse voices.
Slipping into an alley she followed it back, as it twisted and turned past old warehouses and decrepit buildings.
Coming around a corner she stopped and dodged back behind it before peeking around it again. In an open area of the alley, 6 big goons were standing in front of a muscular young man. Four of them carried sticks of some kind and the other two had guns shoved in their belts.
She raised her eyebrow at the seemingly overkill and guessed it was a mob shakedown. She glanced around, there were plenty of places here to hide a body she sniffed the air. They were close to the docks to, the smell of fish and salt touched the cold air. She pulled her hands out of her pockets, clenching and unclenching them. They were covered in black leather gloves.
The dull thud of a fist hitting the soft of the stomach reached her ears.

“Ofh”

Blood spattered on the ground as the young man doubled over, only to have two of the men grab him and shove him against the wall. The other one stepped closer as the other three formed a semi circle around them.

The dull thud came again as well as a weak moan.

She extended her staff and stepped out into the open. The men in the outer circle turned to her.

“Well, well, look what found us.” One of them said swaggering towards her.

She glared at him, the breeze catching her hair, her eyes fierce and piercing.
“Let him go.” She said, again soft and hoarse.

“Didja hear that fellas? She wants us to let him go.” The man took another step before the man who’d delivered the punches turned and stopped him. Placing his hand on the man’s shoulder the man stopped.
She guessed that the torturer was the leader. He nodded to the man and the other two men in the circle and they advanced towards her.
She felt a small stab of guilt. Three men who thought they were going up against a small woman. She laughed inside.

She crouched ready to go. They came forward to grab her. Swinging her staff, it connected to their jaws. One went down, the ‘crack’ of his skull against the alley wall. The other men paused before looking at her and then charging.
Side stepping them both she brought her staff down on them. Catching them off balance and causing them to fall.
Out of the corner of her eye she could see the leader motion the other two who dropped the boy and ran towards her, their arms swinging.
Stepping back she dodged them, leaping into the air and kicking one of them as he came at her. He fell heavily onto the ground.
The other man bobbed and weaved in front of her. Spinning, her hair and jacket billowing around her, she swiped her staff across the ground and took his legs out from under him.
She felt two strong arms grab her from behind as the other one grabbed her. Tucking her arm close to her she elbowed the man in the stomach and turning she gave him a swift chop to the back of his neck as he doubled over. He collapsed to the ground. Turning she gave another swift kick to her previous opponent as he rose.
Three down, three to go. She glanced to the side. The young man was curled up on the ground. The least of this party’s problem. Two of the remaining men were running at her from both sides. Blind rage in their eyes. Bringing her staff up horizontal with the ground she stabbed left and then right catching both of them in the stomachs and then finishing them both off with a full round house kick. Her dark hair flew across her face and then rested on her shoulder as her jacket twisted around her before releasing it’s self from her.
She turned to the leader and stared at him before charging, hitting him with a roundhouse combo, and a quick swipe of her staff. She watched as he fell to the ground.

Turning she surveyed the men littering the ground around her. Stepping over them she walked towards the young man. His blood splattered the ground around him. Crouching down she felt his pulse. It was steady, but she didn’t dare move him.
“Stay here and don’t move.” She said. He uncurled enough to look at her, his eyes large as she studied her trying to determine if she was a threat. She smiled before standing and running out of the alley.
Finding a nearby telephone booth she put in an anonymous call to the Gotham PD.
Hanging up she glanced at the sky. The sunlight was now stronger. Any moment the sun it’s self would peek out.
She breathed, her breath making a tiny cloud in the air. She grabbed her scarf, which had fallen away from her face and around her neck in the scuffle, pulled it back up over the lower part of her face and headed home.
She didn’t know why she saved him. It wasn’t necessary.
She thought back to the black figure on the roof she’d seen the other night, Batgirl.
She couldn’t give up. This was too important. For now she’d have to put up with saving the lives of mob runners.

She glanced back up at the sky, the clear blue sky was not tinted pink and orange as the sun rose slowly. No one was out in the streets yet, something she was thankful for.
She thought back to the young man in the alley. His eyes had been wide and fearful, who wouldn’t be. No one here really knew who protected them. The police or the fearsome masked and caped people in black?
How much hope could a person give dressed in black? She shook her head.
Maybe tomorrow she’d catch sight of him. That was the most important thing.

Ash Loomis said:
“Ok then. Well, I’m in. Oh, by the way, did you get my e-mails? It seems the Joker’s loose and Solomon Grundy’s gone Kong on Harley Quinn! He’s working for them now! Also, there seems to be some kind of murderer going around in the sewers from around here to Jersey. The victims are turning up completely hallow. Grundy was hanging around down there, and he has done some weird stuff, but I doubt he would be able to do that.”

Solomon Grundy back in Gotham? Haven't had to face him since my early years. Just one thing bothered me about this:

"The victims, what exactly do you mean by them 'turning up completely hollow?'"

MaskedManJRK said:
Solomon Grundy back in Gotham? Haven't had to face him since my early years. Just one thing bothered me about this:

"The victims, what exactly do you mean by them 'turning up completely hollow?'"

I cruise over to my desk. There, I grab a few copies of some crime scene photos that I borrowed from the police. I toss them at Bruce. As he looks them over, I peek over his shoulder and explain them to him.

“Police have found bodes scattered around the sewyers from here to New Jersey.Their skin and their skeleton are still in there. But their organs, their blood, and pretty much everything else on the inside are gone. It’s like someone cracked ‘em open like a nutshell and took what they wanted. However, from what I can tell there isn’t any sign of them being opened up. It’s like someone waved a wand and their insides disappeared. To make things even weirder, there are marks on their necks that suggest they were strangled by a normal human. If whoever’s doing this can make you hollow just like that, why would they bother to fight you and strangle you first? I’m not sure if we’re dealing with a meta-human, a wizard, or what.”

Ash Loomis said:
I cruise over to my desk. There, I grab a few copies of some crime scene photos that I borrowed from the police. I toss them at Bruce. As he looks them over, I peek over his shoulder and explain them to him.

“Their skin and their skeleton are still in there. But their organs, their blood, and pretty much everything else on the inside are gone. It’s like someone cracked ‘em open like a nutshell and took what they wanted. However, from what I can tell there isn’t any sign of them being opened up. It’s like someone waved a wand and their insides disappeared. To make things even weirder, there are signs that they were strangled by a normal human. If whoever’s doing this can make you hollow just like that, why would they bother to fight you and strangle you first? I’m not sure if we’re dealing with a meta-human, a wizard, or what.”

I study the pictures Ted hands to me.

Usually, my stomach churns whenever I see a dead body. Not because of the bodies themselves (with the possible exception of more immortal men, like Jason Blood, I've seen more dead bodies than anyone I know), but because of the fact that I couldn't have done anything to help him or her.

Some people see that as a "heroic" aspect of my personality. Frankly, it makes me sick that very few people feel the same.

But, with these bodies...while I still feel my stomach churn, it's small compared to the...morbid curiousity. I study the pictures, thinking of every possible thing that could have done it.

It's true: like any detective, I love a good mystery. I love solving them...and I love giving the bastards who cause them a good few broken bones and sending them to "pound you in the ass" prison for the rest of their lives.

"Off-hand, I can't think of anything quite like this. I think while we should let the others know, if not just in case they find something similar in their neck of the woods, but with only a small force. I don't think a full team is nessesary for this."

The studio buzzes around me. I re-adjust my tie, and take the notes for my live evening broadcast. I walk towards the stage, and Mr. Starr walks up to me.

"Okay, Vic, just remember to look at the script when you get stuck. I've seen your out takes."

"Yeah yeah yeah. We've been through this before. Also, I decided on some pictures for the guys in tech to CG in at the last minute. You mind?"

"Christ Vic, you should have...."

"Starr, we've danced this dance before. It's just a few pictures I took. They'll help emphasize my point. I've already handed them off to the tech boys. Just relax, Starr."

"Fine. Go."

I head out into the sound stage. The camera man gives me the signal, and I'm live on the air.

I pick up my script, tear it up, and scatter the peices behind me. I can almost hear Starr's ulcer poping. I clear my throat, look into the camera, and begin.

"**** you.

You lying, cheating, cowardly bastards.

I hate every single one of you.

Why?

Because you're either too damn scared or too damn apathetic to ask questions. To challenge the status quo. To actually make things better. You sit in your houses, watching T.V. or surfing the net or ****ing your cheap street corner hookers, and you let things stay the way they are. You let the world rot from the inside out.

And I'm sick of it.

Just stop being the self centered *******s you are and take a look outside the window.

Do it.

What do you think you'll see?

A magical land where children dance and play in rainbow streams and laugh with gumdrop smiles? If you actually beleive that then I don't hate you. If you beleive that, you're far too stupid for me to hate you.

The people in charge, they fill the world with bull****. The government is full of liars and cheaters who only care about using tax payer money to purchase more crack. All the Vatican cares about is keeping up with their dogma amd mysticism and are willing to cover the asses of pedophiles to keep things nice and tidy and proper on the outside. Our country has gone to war for oil and hid behind the **** they spew about spreading freedom and making the world a better place, when all they want is control and money. And I ask, what do you do? You, the people. You, the taxpayers. You, the voters. What do you do?

Nothing.

And that's why the world is the way it is.

Because you don't care.

You say to yourselves 'it's not my problem'. You say to yourselves 'someone else will change things'. But none of you do. And then there are the rare few. The rare few who actually decide to try and make things better. The rare few who actually challenge the status quo and dare do be something spectacular. But they're in the vast minority. And that isn't the way things should be.

Look at Hub City. The Dark Horse Gang controls the south side. Carl Kimmel has a strangle hold on the buisness district. Most of the public officials and half the police force are on the take.

And who does anything about it?

No one. And that's just Hub City.

All over the country, there's corruption in almost all levels of government. Over seas, our armed forces are flexing their muscles at any country who we harbor any kind of dislike for. Terrorist organizations threaten to suicide bomb us on a regular basis based on hatred and religious zealotry. And back in the U.S., our own religious zealots are trying to take away people's rights just because they put their privates in a different place than most.

And none of you do anything!

This world is going to hell!

The cities are burning and you're just sitting back and playing your fiddles.

I'm sick of it!

WAKE UP!

Wake up and DO SOMETHING!

It's your planet. It's your country. It's your city. So, for once in your lives, take the next step. Decide to be one of the rare few who dare to challange the way things are. Who dare to be special. And mabey they'll stop being the rare few.

Mabey things will start getting better."

I walk of stage. As I pass Starr, he looks like he's having a heart atack. If he were in the shape to do it, he'd strangle me. But, he'll forget all about it when he sees the ratings we get.

Time to go home and await the death threats.

Once Billy finishes his at the station the heads down to the local coffee house. That whole thing yesterday with Superman ...I still wonder what that was all about...I just don't get it. I mean you don't just knock a guy like Superman back like that. Maybe it's time for Captain Marvel to make himself a little more known....maybe whoever is behnd all of this will show themselves and I can help Superman. After all he has done for me and hundreds of others...I think I owe him any help I can give.
Billy finishes his coffee and walks down an alley looking around and seeing no one he says, "Shazam!"

KABOOM!!!!

Captain Marvel takes to the sky and begins a patrol around Metropolis. Nothing a little flight time to clear the head. Nothing to drastic just a quick flight around the city once or twice and back home for a bite to eat.

batnkevlar said:
It's been a couple of days since anyone was in the tower. When I'm alone, I usually kick back as a dog. It's a dog's life, after all...

Suddenly, my ears prick up as I hear someone in the other room. I turn to raptor and I kick down Starfire's door, leaping at the person in fron of her monitor...

With a thud I land on my back. It wasn’t pain I felt, more like annoyance. After all who liked being greeted like some burglar? I see a green dog emerge into my line of vision. It figures, who else would do this.

“Beast Boy! Get off me.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"