The Wrestling Thread Nearly Broke Hornswoggle In Half; THAT'S WHAT WE DO! - Part 86

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind Ziggler losing to Del Rio but why give ADR the clean tapout finish twice now on free tv? If Dolph cant win with Big E and AJ at ringside how is he ever supposed to be a credibe champion? They could have at least had Big E interfere or some otherway of Del Rio winning without Dolph tapping. Wins do matter every now and again. IMO I already feel like they've waited too long on Dolph.

The WHC scene right now is ADR, Show, Orton, Sheamus, Henry, Ziggler, Jericho, and Swagger. Something has got to give here

The US scene has Cesaro feuding with Miz. This belt needs some more challengers. Rey would be a good feud IMO, and a returning Christian is sorely missed as IMO SD needs another upper-midcard face.

Problem with this is that the same standards aren't held for everyone. I used to try to be a productive member of this thread, expressing my opinions and why i felt that way, but was always met with hostility and ridicule feom the likes of Metallo and Hunter in particular, and many other posters to a lesser extent. I have never once been treated with respect in this thread, so why should I care if someone gets upset about my opinion that I don't care about other people getting buried so The Rock can be champion again?

Nobody was telling Metallo or Hunter to "keep it civil" when they were telling me I wasn't a true wrestling fan, I was a mindless Vince drone, and telling me that they didnt respect my mindset and felt my opinions were a disgrace to the business.

PS none of that is hyperbole or "woe is me. All of those are things that Metallo or Hunter have said directly to me over the long life of this thread. None of which ever got remarks of "keep it civil" That doesn't happen until I come in with a post that targets literally nobody, but what I said wasn't popular so it's taken and twisted as an "attack"

I'll keep this short, you always had an issue with anyone disagreeing with you, you wanted to make posts about certain wrestlers and expected no one to counterpoint you, when they did you whined about it even though discussion and debate are the essence of any thread.

I don't deny I said I don't respect your opinion because I quite honestly cannot respect it, it conflicts with my love of the business. I never cared if you respected mine or not. I get on fine with everyone else on this thread and plenty of others see the problem with you and it's not even about opinions, it's about your attitude and inability to take it.

Over a year ago I agreed to simply not respond to you and we didn't, then one day a few weeks ago you quoted me to start more trouble even though we had not spoken in ages. Then after the Rumble you appeared again with some silly post about enjoying mine and Metallo's tears because your hero was champ, basically trolling for a reaction, same thing you did with the whole burial comment attached to your pick from the other night, I've ignored all your stuff recently even though my name appears in your posts with you trashing me, to the point posters who don't usually get involved are calling you on your attempts to brew up beef.

There are plenty of varied views in here Nell, you are the only person who generates personal animosity though, yet in your perception it is everyone but you to blame.

I don't mind Ziggler losing to Del Rio but why give ADR the clean tapout finish twice now on free tv? If Dolph cant win with Big E and AJ at ringside how is he ever supposed to be a credibe champion? They could have at least had Big E interfere or some otherway of Del Rio winning without Dolph tapping. Wins do matter every now and again. IMO I already feel like they've waited too long on Dolph.

The WHC scene right now is ADR, Show, Orton, Sheamus, Henry, Ziggler, Jericho, and Swagger. Something has got to give here

The US scene has Cesaro feuding with Miz. This belt needs some more challengers. Rey would be a good feud IMO, and a returning Christian is sorely missed as IMO SD needs another upper-midcard face.

Sounds like Big E attempted to interfere but failed. Think the same thing happened on raw against Kane, only it being AJ and she ended inadvertently costing Dolph the match. I'd be interested to see if it's a similar situation on SD against Del Rio.

Perhaps they might be slowly turning Ziggler and doing it by making him realise that he doesn't need Big E or AJ. I didn't expect them to start turning him before Mania though.

Sounds like Big E attempted to interfere but failed. Think the same thing happened on raw against Kane, only it being AJ and she ended inadvertently costing Dolph the match. I'd be interested to see if it's a similar situation on SD against Del Rio.

Perhaps they might be slowly turning Ziggler and doing it by making him realise that he doesn't need Big E or AJ. I didn't expect them to start turning him before Mania though.
I noticed that, but also thought it might be an indication AJ would go solo and be involved with the divas division. No doubt the seeds have been planted for some type of change. I'm praying Ziggler will cash in Sunday though and win of course.

Dude, with this thread, I'd get a reaction just for presenting a case why Rock being champ is a good thing.

Look at the reaction I've already gotten for saying I thought The Miz was the best guy in the company at one point.

I gwt a reaction cuz I said it and nobody here likes it. It has nothing to do with how its worded.

Interestingly enough there's been some people in this thread over the last month that would probably agree with you about Rock.
When you present an unpopular opinion to a die hard group of fans its always going to get an intense reaction. However you seem to take it personal.

Random but my thoughts for EC WWE Title Match;

I can't get out of my head why they added the DQ Stipulation for the WWE Title match. I think that they either did it to make Rock look like the "underdog" or because its going to add a reason why the Rock may lose.

I think that Rock vs Punk ends with Punk winning the title via Brock coming out and beating up Punk setting up Rock vs Brock which would be a money match and Punk vs Cena which would be a money match..Likely the way WWE books Rock wins clean and its Cena vs Rock but I have my hopes

Punk is great in general as long as he isn't on a leash. His intial WWE face run was boring promo wise.

Exactly. Whenever he's allowed to cut loose creatively he knocks it out of the park. Instead of forcing Punk to be what they want they should just let him be what he is more often. Call him an anti hero or a tweener or whatever but a lot of those crowds don't want to boo him right now.

He's always best when there's at least a kernel of truth in what he says in the mic. It adds to his work and makes his character more compelling instead of him just playing the usual vanilla babyface or cowardly heel.

The WHC may well be a Fatal 4-way match to get more guys on the card.

I could see it happening that way too. It solves problems the match might have with star power and lets face it a match with Jericho, Ziggler, Del Rio, and either Big Show or Henry is more interesting than just Del Rio vs one of those guys.

As tired as I get of multiman title matches at Mania WWE has loved doing them for years.

Rosa looks way better without so much garish makeup on. The makeup people back stage need to use primarily a natural earth-tone look for her, not so much with the blue eyeshadow and bright red lips.

I think that applies to many women in wrestling. The natural make up looks more appealing than the overdone ****e make up WWE and TNA put on many women. Brooke Adams and AJ look great when theirs is toned down. Couldn't imagine AJ sporting the full on streetwalker look. Skin tone is a big factor. I also think that it depends on if it fits the character.

But even when you have someone it fits like Angelina Love (whose face has taken a real hit in recent years) the hooker make up only makes her looks worse. Ditto for Melina

Also I think the xenophobe gimmick for Swagger will get heat but it could turn into another Muhammad Hassan situation. Political and religious gimmicks usually cause problems for WWE. Still, they're pushing envelope and that's good.

I think it could be a great gimmick during the right period...just not for Swagger. Reminds me of when they tried to make Regal the "Real Mans Man" like he stepped off the Bounty paper towel packaging. Regals tough but what they gave him was the wrong kind of tough guy gimmick.

Swagger hasn't shown the fire or the ability to talk to sell a gimmick like this. Guess thats why they gave him Mantel as a manager. Smart move

If they let someone really go for this gimmick the way Hassan (who wasn't even all that great) did or even they way Slaughter did in 91 instead of a hokey cartoony character ala The New Generation midcard it could be something interesting. But right now I rank it right next to Cesaros cartoonish gimmick.

There's also the risk that--depending on where in the US they go--a character like Swaggers might get cheered. Anyone else remember the West Texas Rednecks vs The No Limit Soldiers?

Sometimes it just takes superstars a while to find their niche rather than having the full package when they're young. I never thought Bradshaw would become JBL. I never thought Eddie G would do much either beyond his Latino Heat gimmick and his comedic coupling with Chyna.

Similarly, Henry never struck me as someone who had potential to be a main eventer.

Henry started to turn it around sometime around 2006 in my eyes. I enjoyed his run as ECW champion too. Thats when I REALLY started to notice that he was finally improving.

Bradshaws a guy I didn't see anything in at first. I remember the Hawk Bradshaw stuff and The New Blackjacks. I couldn't have cared less. When he formed the Acolytes with Farooq my opinion on him changed. Then I really became a fan with the APA. I wasn't sure he was main event material but when he really got into the swing of it with JBL I could buy him as an upper midcard/occasional main event guy because he was so good on the mic.

I always knew Eddie had it. Especially after he left WCW. They never really gave him the best characters or material. Hell I knew he had it before he started gaining mass in WCW. He was a solid face and heel and in the ring he was incredible. I was more sure of him than I ever was of Mysterio making it in the main event scene.

Because it can't be posted enough:

tumblr_mi37d073091relfhqo2_250.gif

tumblr_mi37d073091relfhqo1_250.gif

:awesome: Look at that magnificent b*st*rd Cesaro going all "Jason Voorhees" on the mizcarder.

- There was a backstage feeling at RAW last night that The Rock did not get the job done during his final promo going into the Elimination Chamber pay-per-view. The pay-per-view is expected to do good business just because it's the Rock vs. CM Punk rematch.
Partial source: F4Wonline.com

I had the same feeling. For your typical promo it was ok but to sell a rematch for the last PPV before Mania it was weak.

- Chris Jericho explained to ESPN why his return has been so successful. Here is an excerpt from their article.
"Doing new things, changing your look, changing your personality in the ring, the way that you do interviews and promos … I've been doing this a long time," said Jericho. "I can come and go and when I come back, I'm always at the highest level just because I know what I'm doing. But more important than that, this is show business, and you always need to change things up in order to keep people interested. If you do the same thing for too long, it becomes boring, and I never want to be boring."

He's absolutely right. Sometimes you have to evolve to keep things fresh or at the very least mix old with new.

Early viewership information for this week's episode of WWE Monday Night Raw have the show dropping for the second week in a row. Despite the advertised appearance of WWE Champion, Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson, Raw only brought in about 4.26 million viewers across all three hours.
This is down from last week's episode without the Rock. We will have the official rating as it becomes available.

People like the ChairShot Reality guys and Madden get a reality check of their own. This outcome was common sense. Of course Rock drew for the post Rumble Raw but he didnt do it alone. It was the Raw after a major PPV with a unique match for a guy who isnt around much. Of course it was going to draw big numbers. It wasn't ONLY because of Rock though. If it was all about Rock his return to Raw monday would have drawn bigger but it didn't.

I think most people knew even with him there nothing big would happen. This show apparently drew less than last weeks show. All three of the most recet Raw shows highlight that if you put together a quality show with great action and compelling angles its going to draw more interest no matter what.

I agree on both Henry and Eddie. I never saw Eddie as a main-eventer because I doubted they'd ever consider him as one due to his size. He was obviously talented enough. Though once they started pushing him and giving him serious feuds to be in, and he stepped it up, I bought it totally.

Henry wasn't good enough in the ring IMO until the last few years. I still can't believe I'm marking out for him now.

I originally thought Edge didn't look right as a main-eventer until at some point it just clicked in my mind. He was doing everything right, it just took some time to process.

I felt Edge had it in him for a long time. He and WWE just couldn't figure out how to put the pieces together. It was around the time all the Kane/Lita/Hardy/Edge story and Edge/Lita affair happened that I thought Edge really found his creative voice as a character. They'd finally caught that spark inside that drove everything else.

The fans were a big part of tuning WWE in on that. Edge was a rogue. A cheater. A liar. But he was so sly in doing it that you couldn't help but watch him. He was such a magnificent b*stard who pushed the envelope in the ring and in his promos. He was the anti estableshment to Cenas estableshment. He was every dirty little obscene thing WWE was trying to PG away from but he still found a way to be naughty on screen.

They should have let Reigns just be a mute for a while and not talk and just give him that beast-like persona until he worked up to be better at the mic.
I feel the same way with Big E. Langston too. Sometimes, when someone has other people that can do the talking, they should just be a powerful presence just standing there and doing the action and not the talking.

Langston has the same problem Lashley did: As soon as they open their mouths they kill the mystique. Theyre both big men but they don't have the same kind of intimidating look a Nash or Sid or Goldberg do. They have babyfaces and maybe thats what they should be.

Reigns isn't a great talker but he doesn't need to be. Even less so than Langston. Reigns has a much more fierce look to him than Big E. He could easily be a man of few words type and still come across as a beast.

I reckon Reigns is guaranteed to be pushed and made a star, if anything, because he fits the blueprint that Vince and the E seem to love.

Of the three though I see Ambrose being the one with the most potential and highest ceiling, and can see him eventually breaking out on his own a la Punk and Austin if he isn't given a push by the company with their backing.

Rollins looks to have a lot about him to, and as others have said I could see him making a tremendous face in the long run.

Yeah. If Reigns can end up being even halfway competent on the mic he'll get a strong push at least for a little while. He's already got good intensity. If we thought the days of VInce's big man preferences might be softening Ryback came along and proved those thoughts wrong. I think all three Shield members will do well though.

Reigns look might get him to the big dance but itll take a little more to stay there. Punk's shown that when you have the other gifts you got a chance of sticking around longer even if its harder to get to the top. Good news for Rollins and Ambrose

Iron Sheik Talks About The IOC Removing Wrestling From The Olympics

WWE Hall of Famer The Iron Sheik, who competed for Iran in the 1968 Olympics and then became an assistant coach for Team USA in the 1970′s, is not pleased about the International Olympic Committee’s decision to remove wrestling from the Olympics starting in 2020. The Sheik told TMZ.com today:

"After 1000 years they take away the best sport in the world? This is the first time the dumb motherf**kers have no balls for they make the walking an Olympic sport."
"If I see anybody on the street that work from the IOC I swear to the Jesus I suplex them put them in camel clutch break their back make them humble."

"The #TEAMSHEIKIE respect the Olympic now they can all go f*** themselves and make the Curling Olympic sport because they all the biggest piece of no good s*** and I never watch the Olympic again. Also buy my t shirt [on my website] or go f*** yourself."

Source: sescoops.com

Shiek has also provided some colorful tweets about the subject.

LOL Leave it to Shiek to make even this story hilarious.

I agree on the risk, certain places will actually treat him as a face. I'd do the tried and tested thing and put him against Rey as a test run before booking him with Berto.

Yup. In the deep south Swagger WILL get a lot of cheers. Up in the northeast he'll get more boos. Not sure how WWE is going to play this if they want him to be a heel. A lot of people are like his character. He's going to have to go for some really cheap heat in some places but its hard to see how he stays true to his character in some instances.
Guess they better have their Smackdown dubbing team ready.

The interesting thing about The Shield is that unlike other groups they all dress exactly the same, yet have managed to stand out as individuals, so if they added another he'd require a quality to allow him to stand out as opposed to simply trying to use their heat to get another guy over. Kassius Ohno would be the best fit IMO.

I love the Shields gear. Very Corporate Bossman. You nailed it though. They all have such distinctive looks. A welcome concept when for years WWE seemed to roll Orton clones out of their tanks at developmental.

The Shields look also has an outsider edgy style to it the way the NWO's did because unlike everyone else they aint wearing tights. They arent there to wrestle they are there to fight.

I reckon Vickie is actually one of the best heels they have. Amazing that she can garner more heat with two little words than any of the roster.
Vickie has earned her spot.

Absolutely. She's become a good character in her own right. Forget that she was ever married to Eddie. She's a good manager for the right kind of guy but she's even better as a heel authority figure because she gets such heat and is so believble in her role.

Ziggler needed her more than Edge. He's the perfect example of the new stars Vickie should be put with. Guys bland on their own personality wise. Ziggler has finally grown into his character though and doesn't need Vickie. The trick is not to let Vickie manage anyone for too long because after a while their character begins to stagnant and then regress in the sense that she's the one getting all the heat instead of transferring it to her star. Dolphs on his own now and can get his own heat and do his own talking.

A list of names creative came up for The Walls of Jericho.

tAhNn3L.png

Jesus. Most of those are...terrible. If I didnt believe the stories on WWF ptching Austin new names after ditching the Ringmaster gimmick I do now.

Last edited:
Rock is going to win clean. Every time I remember this stipulation being used the champion won.

LOL Leave it to Shiek to make even this story hilarious.

I was hoping for celebrated American author John Irving to weigh in on this topic and publicly support amateur wrestling, but I don't think anyone can top Sheik right there.

Has anyone seen Shiek and Shiek Jr. on Howard Stern? Hilarious, but can't post it here due to language.

Well, I went to the Nashville show, it was fun. Enjoyed The Rock's promo, I know it's been getting a lot of hate, but I still found the story funny. I wish we would have been on the other side of the arena, would have been in the section where Shield came down from.

Even got to see Zack Ryder... lose, but I still got to see him. :woot:

Took some pics

Y2J_zps1ea9d78b.jpg

ZR11_zpsf36de4ea.jpg

THEROCK_zps58f07b63.jpg

THESHIELD_zps653b1e52.jpg

I'm a Rock fan, so I don't mind him as WWE Champion, but the lack of fights on Raw, the lack of appearances... It kinda sucks. You almost forget the belt exists. Hoping the rematch at EC is great though.

I was laughing to tears reading Shiek's twitter page last night. He's awesome

I'm a Rock fan, so I don't mind him as WWE Champion, but the lack of fights on Raw, the lack of appearances... It kinda sucks. You almost forget the belt exists. Hoping the rematch at EC is great though.

I don't like that the limited appearances thing they're doing. It's unfair to everyone except the wrestlers who don't have to wrestle.

I was laughing to tears reading Shiek's twitter page last night. He's awesome

What did I just read? :funny:

I didn't like The Rock promo but it was interesting that he referenced Jeff Jarrett. That's the first time Jarrett has been mentioned on WWE TV since 1999.

I'm not that surprised considering that the WWE for the last few years has been referencing the attitude era a lot.

I expect everyone who's not Owen Hart, Chris Benoit, or Chyna (and others I cant name off the top of my head) to be mentioned.

Interestingly enough there's been some people in this thread over the last month that would probably agree with you about Rock.
When you present an unpopular opinion to a die hard group of fans its always going to get an intense reaction. However you seem to take it personal.

Eh, maybe they don't need to make it personal by personally putting me down in the process of disagreeing with me, and then calling me a "troll" when I respond to their attitude and behavior, or present an opinion of my own following their own standards of expressing a point of view.

When Metallo does it, and gets into heated arguments with every flipping participant of this thread, he's just "passionate". When I do it, I'm "trolling".

:shrugs:

It is what it is I guess.

Eh, maybe they don't need to make it personal by personally putting me down in the process of disagreeing with me, and then calling me a "troll" when I respond to their attitude and behavior, or present an opinion of my own following their own standards of expressing a point of view.

When Metallo does it, and gets into heated arguments with every flipping participant of this thread, he's just "passionate". When I do it, I'm "trolling".

:shrugs:

It is what it is I guess.

Thats because I don't start off a post baiting people with my opinion on something by saying "I like such and such I don't care what everyone else says."

Any disagreement I have is on the topic instead of trying to take a dig from the word go.

Its like someone else said you CAN like something without rubbing it in other peoples faces. How you feel about something and how others feel about you or how you feel aren't joined at the hip.

And I see you feel the need to take a dig at me when I've said nothing to you (until now) since the last thread. Cute. Other folks called you out on what you did this time. Not me. I guess they are all against you too, right? Its a conspiracy! Ooooooooo! maybe you should take your own advice and look in the mirror yourself.

Last edited:
Jesus. Most of those are...terrible. If I didnt believe the stories on WWF ptching Austin new names after ditching the Ringmaster gimmick I do now.

You should check out the Austin DVD from 2011, they show the original paper with the names for Austin and it's pure grade A garbage. Just shows you for all the crap that makes it on TV an that we complain about imagine how much crap is brought up creatively backstage that never gets used because they're THAT bad.

You should check out the Austin DVD from 2011, they show the original paper with the names for Austin and it's pure grade A garbage. Just shows you for all the crap that makes it on TV an that we complain about imagine how much crap is brought up creatively backstage that never gets used because they're THAT bad.

I remember some of them. Chilly McFreeze? Ice Dagger?

Vince (Russo, McMahon, whoever) needs to be kicked right in his damn a** for that stuff.

I can't believe they were actually considering "The Ball Dropper" for Jericho. I get the reference but it sill sounds like something better suited to Val Venis.

Y2"KO"er? Y2Korkscrew? Y23? Jeez. :doh:

The Cloverleaf 2000 sounds absurdly hilarious though.

Problem with this is that the same standards aren't held for everyone. I used to try to be a productive member of this thread, expressing my opinions and why i felt that way, but was always met with hostility and ridicule feom the likes of Metallo and Hunter in particular, and many other posters to a lesser extent. I have never once been treated with respect in this thread, so why should I care if someone gets upset about my opinion that I don't care about other people getting buried so The Rock can be champion again?

That's incorrect. You have been treated with respect in this thread. I remember several times stating agreement with some of your opinions regarding some superstars despite us having different views of wrestling.

If you don't care about someone getting upset at your opinion, fine. All well and good. But the point I'm making is that it's very suspicious that out of nowhere you made a post in that manner. It was literally running smooth before that post. And you're saying you didn't know it would get considered as baiting material and that it would rile people up. That's a little hard to swallow.

Nobody was telling Metallo or Hunter to "keep it civil" when they were telling me I wasn't a true wrestling fan, I was a mindless Vince drone, and telling me that they didnt respect my mindset and felt my opinions were a disgrace to the business.

PS none of that is hyperbole or "woe is me. All of those are things that Metallo or Hunter have said directly to me over the long life of this thread. None of which ever got remarks of "keep it civil" That doesn't happen until I come in with a post that targets literally nobody, but what I said wasn't popular so it's taken and twisted as an "attack"

Again, incorrect. I've made statements on here and in private plenty of times asking guys to keep it civil. Maybe you didn't notice or not, but I did.

Look if you want to continue talking about this, let's do it in private. No need to derail the thread any further with this.

- After his segment with CM Punk at last night's SmackDown tapings, WWE Champion The Rock participated in an off-camera segment with Damien Sandow. Sandow interrupted The Rock talking about the city of Little Rock. Rock went around the ring and asked fans if they wanted to see Sandow get a Rock Bottom. Rock went back in to give Sandow a handshake but ended up hitting him with a Rock Bottom and a People's Elbow.

- On a related note, fans in attendance last night noted that many people left after The Rock's segment and didn't stay for the Big Show vs. Chris Jericho main event.

- A WWE source notes that while many fans have complained at the idea of having John Cena vs. The Rock II at WrestleMania 29 this year and have suggested other opponents for Cena and Rock, no match is going to make the company more money and sell more pay-per-views than Rock-Cena II. Because of this, many people within WWE would be very surprised if Cena-Rock II didn't happen this year.

http://www.pwpix.net/pwpixnews/headlines/362771102.php

Wrestlemania alone will sell more pay-per-views because it's the biggest wrestling extravaganza of the year.

I still question this main-event, as the novelty of the first match is no longer there, and Cena has been getting mixed reactions still. But hey, if it brings more buys than last year, I'll eat my words. I truly hope they have something planned better than last year in building up to this match.

Could they at least do Cena/Punk/Rock instead of this Rock/Cena II crap? :cmad:

In their mind, Cena/Rock II is the money match and anyone else is secondary. I get the feeling Punk is going to be seriously screwed out of the spotlight this year.

Could they at least do Cena/Punk/Rock instead of this Rock/Cena II crap? :cmad:

I think that would be even better. The top Superstars of the three different era's (Attitude, Ruthless Agression, and PG/Reality era) battling in one ring would be even better.

Especially considering that Punk's match with Undertaker isn't working out.

In their mind, Cena/Rock II is the money match and anyone else is secondary. I get the feeling Punk is going to be seriously screwed out of the spotlight this year.

You aint the only one. I get that Rock/Cena II is the money match but everyone else is less than an afterthought. Not enough effort is being put into building storys/matches for anyone else.

If it were ALL about money why not do Rock vs Cena III next year? At what point does the rehash get absurd even if it draws money? Other things could draw money if the right effort was put in. And its not like there's a guarentee Rock vs Cena II will draw MORE than I.

I understand its a business but greed coupled with nothing else is totally choking the creative direction of WWE right now. Guess they want to make it even easier to pay off Linda's $100 million senate runs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"