A New Era for the Wrestling Thread

Remember when Taker complained that wrestlers today just play video games in their downtime? Probably would of been best if wrestlers of yesteryear had played Super Mario Bros. and Halo.

Remember when Taker complained that wrestlers today just play video games in their downtime? Probably would of been best if wrestlers of yesteryear had played Super Mario Bros. and Halo.

Always curious to know what changed. Nowadays I would suspect on long flights, many WWE Superstars would be on their Nintendo Switches.

I am liking the push Big E is getting right now. They seem to see him as important. Now let's hope that last. Because it would be just like the WWE to drop it after a couple of weeks if he doesn't single handily fix the ratings.

NXT was....weird. But the wedding was entertaining.
The Wedding was fun. Ciampa got goldy back and Carmello getting his swaggering edge back were also good.

Not sold on the jackson pollock look. The inclusion of the big dudes felt like a potential changing of the guards.
It is funny that older wrestlers hate the current generation for chilling backstage playing and video games. Most of those older wrestlers are lucky they are still alive or not in prison.

The fact RVD just casually dropped in that wrestlers were date raping women. I enjoy wrestling but I'm under no illusion many of the wrestlers from the past were awful and deeply flawed people.

It is funny that older wrestlers hate the current generation for chilling backstage playing and video games. Most of those older wrestlers are lucky they are still alive or not in prison.

The fact RVD just casually dropped in that wrestlers were date raping women. I enjoy wrestling but I'm under no illusion many of the wrestlers from the past were awful and deeply flawed people.
At my age, I think if the current gen was the old gen, I don't think I could watch wrestling. You can see all the geeks and nerds who watched wrestling like us growing up, are the generation of today. And the wrestling world is all the better for it imo.

I'm just still astonished by the amount of things WWE just gets away with.

Like Brock Lesnar literally sexually harassed Terri Runnels and not a word of it ever got around back in 2002. They tell her "don't sell it". And then around that same time, poor Debra, she's getting her ash beat by her husband Stone Cold Steve Austin and WWE just makes arrangements for the whole thing to blow over and kept it hidden from the press.

Just blows my mind. That's why I hope Dark Side of the Ring chooses to do an episode about Sable's Lawsuit from 1999. I know she'd never come on the show, but they obviously can work around it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's still happening. Just because we see certain things with the current wrestlers now with social media, we still don't know everything that happens behind closed doors.

Like Brock Lesnar literally sexually harassed Terri Runnels and not a word of it ever got around back in 2002. They tell her "don't sell it". And then around that same time, poor Debra, she's getting her ash beat by her husband Stone Cold Steve Austin and WWE just makes arrangements for the whole thing to blow over and kept it hidden from the press.

Just blows my mind. That's why I hope Dark Side of the Ring chooses to do an episode about Sable's Lawsuit from 1999. I know she'd never come on the show, but they obviously can work around it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's still happening. Just because we see certain things with the current wrestlers now with social media, we still don't know everything that happens behind closed doors.
The Steve Austin stuff I really struggle with because I loved the guy as a kid and still pop for him now.

The way I see it with Austin is that he was always ultra private and still is. Of the brief moments where he spoke about the abuse of Debra you knew it was full of regret about his life in general back then. He actually hates talking about that period of his life and find it hard to stick the boot in on him because of it.

Flair on the other hand has basically been living in plane sight for decades, regularly talking about these stories that are forked up and people laugh about it.

Tldr I'd have a drink with Austin but never felt the same about Flair. And I know that's problematic, as I said I battle with it.

God forbid Big E get the pin, we KNOW Roman needs the rub, right?

I really am in a toxic relationship with the WWE.

At this point, I pretty much see the benefits of Roman's heel turn being somewhat equivalent to when Hogan had joined the NWO. It's good for business now in terms of short term profits, but will ultimately prove to be disastrous if the company keeps having him bury new stars.

Last edited:
Roman pinned Xavier Woods and Bobby Lashley....how is that burying new stars?

Roman pinned Xavier Woods and Bobby Lashley....how is that burying new stars?

Well, I was mainly referring to how he's been booked for the past year. He's pretty much dominated almost every available wrestler on both shows. At this point, I can't see anyone dethroning him in a believable manner. Plus, this will probably end with him just turning face again and dominating the scene for yet another year.

The McMahons are rich and well connected. You can get away with all kinds of stuff if you are in the position they are in.

I think it is probably harder to get away with things the older wrestlers did these days. Every phone has a camera, social media gives everyone a platform and attitudes towards certain behavior has shifted with the generations. The WWE is a publicly traded company with a more family friendly image now. Shareholders and sponsors would be on the WWE about wrestlers behavior now if word got out.

AEW also has sponsors and charitable organizations they work with that would put some pressure on them if wrestlers were acting badly publicly.

The UK wrestling scene got 'Me Too'ed'. We saw guys that did some sketchy or terrible stuff lose their jobs and get black balled. It served as a warning call to some indie talent I imagine.

It's not impossible that some wrestlers could do these things now but it is far less likely to just be swept under the rub with a boys will be boys attitude.

So Daniel Bryan and Kenny Omega opened tonight's Dynamite that ended in a draw. Main event was Britt Baker Vs. Ruby for the AEW Women's title.

Ooooooo man Omega vs Danielson was great and I can't wait for more.

Black vs Rhodes was top notch as well. Sting/Darby vs FTR was solid, although I feel Sting was doing most of the work. Someone tell Sting he is 62! I think he forgot haha.

Last night was the first time in a long while I was able to sit through ANY wrestling show and not feel compelled to fast forward or change the channel.

Just a great show from top to bottom.

I just watched the Omega/Danielson match. Holy crap that was fantastic! Damn I wish I didn’t have to work last night. Next time AEW is in the nyc area my ash is showing up!

Finally finished watching this week's NXT. Good episode as usual. They need to expand on the personalities of the new people more, not just via WWEPC YT channel (which does a really great job at it though, for all talents). Bron Breakker is a future star but I'd edit the name. I get that they, or maybe he himself might want to make it on their own instead of son of Rick Steiner, but I can see that name being changed in the future. There's reports that Vince wants NXT to be edgier (something most fans have hoping for the entire product for year) including less restriction of in-ring gear for female talent. Looking at what Gigi Dolin and Scarlett Bordeaux have worn in the past, one can definitely claim WWE has been holding them back on that front. Gigi Dolin definitely knows what her best ASSet is and doesn't shy away from making it clear for everyone. :funny:

Welp, Flair looked even sh**tier tonight on yet another episode of Dark Side. And Taker and Cena didn’t look too well either in their interactions with Chris Kanyon.

But poor Kanyon, guy was afraid and was mentally unwell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"