The Wrestling Thread Welcomes Our Tribal Chief

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Thread Manager, Aug 2, 2018.

1. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

It's literally sobering to see the comparison pictures. Don't think I'd have the willpower though. :D Well done to him.

Loving the angle of PAC being too much of a nutter already to he corrupted by Black.

2. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

Moxley's promo and that f-bomb was everything. Good for him for getting sober, he's wearing it well.

I said a little prayer for the Stinger when he did that splash spot against the Acclaimed. Granted he's in his 60s, but that man doesn't need to be in the ring anymore. He was moving around like someone's Grandad.

javonstokess likes this.
  3. javonstokess Registered

Moxley looks better than he has in years. Happy for him.

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  4. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

It's now reported that WWE refuses to release Mustafa Ali.

Lobo likes this.
  5. Hunter Rider Ronin

Dynamite was a chore to get through this week. :dry:

Congrats to Moxley in getting sober but I have zero interest in seeing him wrestle and his whole exaggerated tough guy shtick is just odd to me, the promo was ok, not sure what the heckler was saying that got him riled but the whole cussing stuff might get anyone under 12 going :eek: it just felt like a crutch to me, and the pop when he said he was covered in scars just made me roll my eyes.

Cole and Britt looked like stars working with two cosplayers, Statlander looks like she just got out of a Star Trek convention and Squash looks like he saw Ryan Gosling in 'The Place Beyond the Pines' and thought that was the way to go to get over with middle aged women. If I type everything that was garbage about this match I'd be typing for 20 minutes, it was the drizzling ****s, and while Cole's promo afterwards was fiery I really don't need to see another match between him and Orange, and this isn't Funk vs Flair, it doesn't require some lights out brawl to settle it. Hopefully Britt gets out from under this garbage ASAP, Cole, ReDragon and her could be a good faction but they're drowning in this goofy pre-school nonsense.

Punk and MJF continue to be the best thing on the show, the match between Punk and Spears was all it needed to be and the tease of Punk nearly getting his hands on MJF was well done, it's like these two exist in a different world to the rest of the show.

There were loads of short backstage promos this week, the best was between Christian and the Gunn Club, solid start to a little angle there. The rest of the backstage promos were all forgettable, Ana Jay and the sawed off goof from the Dark Order were atrocious, the mini chick beating up Statlander has finally got their angle to fighting point, and I didn't know who the two guys doing the promo with Cutlet were until Excalibur narrated the video about their Japanese feud with Curly & Mo. Santana & Ortiz getting sick of Jericho was relateable and Ethan Page did his best as a cosplay version of The Rock circa '98. Matt Hardy and the bunch of people in the stairwell looked like a jobbers convention.

I like the potential of Skye Blue and her match with Serena was exactly what it needed to be, she could do with working with Serena regularly to develop, and where is Mercedes Martinez?

The Archer stuff is very muddled but at least the commentators acknowledged it, and where did Jake disappear to? The match with Kazarian just wouldn't end, Kaz is a decent worker but this was the longest, dullest squash match I've seen, it went 3 times longer than needed but the showdown afterwards with Hangman was solid, this should be an ok stop-gap program for Page.

Say what you want about Cody but that promo was the best thing on the show, yes it winked at the line between work and shoot and I knew they were going to copy the HBK/Razor ladder match to unify the TNT titles, but the delivery was great, it was genuine but with slight Hannibal Lecter inflections in certain lines, it was packed with facts, it got the hostile crowd invested despite the fact Cody had to fart around for nearly 5 minutes waiting for them to come back from commercial break. I get why people aren't into Cody but credit where it's due, it was a proper, serious promo in a sea of terrible mic work on this episode.

I get the feeling the angle with Malakai Black and the Cheer squad is leading to a solo Pillman heel turn, which I don't mind, he's good in the ring but needs to improve on the mic. Simple win for The House of Black.......and then Pac pops up with a promo in that thick Geordie accent, i just can't take him seriously, if he gets a partner the tag matches should be ok though.

I like The Acclaimed but to borrow a Cornette favourite, that main event killed them flatter than a plate full of piss, they spent ten minutes beating up senior citizen Sting before his little cruiserweight buddy returns and they both get their asses kicked and pinned. I love Sting but his softcore version of Terry Funk's middle aged and crazy stuff isn't benefitting anyone.

#10330 Hunter Rider, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    vantheman77 and DOBSON10 like this.
  6. javonstokess Registered

The Acclaimed needed that win.

Sting and Darby have been built up sufficiently enough that a loss there wouldn't have hurt .

Shinobi Shaw and Hunter Rider like this.
  7. NDX Luke... I am... tired.

Darby could lose and not have his momentum hurt, unlike the Acclaimed. I really like the team and the last thing they need is this loss.

Sting has overstayed his welcome for me.

Hunter Rider likes this.
  8. Hunter Rider Ronin

When they did the injury angle with Darby I figured The Acclaimed were going to get a tainted 2 on 1 win over a valiant Sting at least.

They are dropping the ball with The Acclaimed, both guys are solid workers that don't need to do a lot of convoluted spots, Bowens has intensity and a presence while Caster is a cocky prick who has the rapping part down pretty well in context, they both look good, their gimmick is natural and they should be being built towards the titles, losing to a senior citizen and his cruiserweight sidekick made no sense.

NDX and javonstokess like this.
  9. Hunter Rider Ronin

10. javonstokess Registered

The only issue I have with AEW matches is it can be predictable with who wins because the "top stars" aren't going to lose.

11. NDX Luke... I am... tired.

They've also come together as a team really well and quickly considering they were singles wrestlers before joining AEW.

12. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

A Quintessential Diva is coming to Impact.

13. Blitzkrieg Bop Fight Owens Fight

I’m watching old Rumbles, today was 92 and 07. Hilarious to see that the ECW title was implied as a possible main event of Mania; Sandman vs Lashley, imagine that. I had never seen 07 before so I had a good laugh at Booker having none of Sandman’s cane and throwing him out in under 30 seconds. Was also surprised and happy that Punk lasted the longest of any of the ECW crew.

I had been wanting to get a wrestling tattoo for a while and so I got a black and pink scorpion, for the Icon.

Lobo likes this.
  14. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I liked Cody's promo. The WWE name change dig was especially funny given the Walter fiasco.

Hunter Rider likes this.
  15. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

Well you shouldnt, According to Bully Ray, Moxley should apologize to you for being away and trying to heal.
    How dare you being happy for a man who overcame his addiction...Bully Ray is not a fan of you right now. XD

No seriously, really happy that he got help and is in a better place.

They fired 90 people 2021 but now dont want to let someone go who wants to leave...cant make this kind of stuff up.

vantheman77 likes this.
  16. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

The 1994, 1999 and 2000 Royal Rumble pay per views always stood out the most in my mind. Classic shows throughout.

I still get nightmares about the I Quit Match between Rock and Mankind at the 99 Rumble.

17. javonstokess Registered

I'm pretty sure that won't be the last dumb thing Bully Ray says, but it might be top 5.

#10342 javonstokess, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  18. Hunter Rider Ronin

The 1992 Rumble match remains my favourite of all time and the 2007 Rumble had the best closing stretch of any Rumble match. The Triple H vs Cactus Jack WWF title match at 2000 was the best match at any Royal Rumble.

Ah right, I didn't realize they'd only became a team in AEW, I know Bowens has done some singles stuff in Japan. They've certainly gelled quickly, both their personalities and their ring work looks like they've been working together for years.

19. Blitzkrieg Bop Fight Owens Fight

I watched the 2002 Rumble today. My boy Maven with the biggest moment of his career, the dropkick heard round the world.

20. javonstokess Registered

At the time, I really thought Maven was gonna be a star lol

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  21. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

Maven could’ve been something special. He had the look and there was talent.

Just was missing the it factor.

22. Hunter Rider Ronin

Rampage was a nice palate cleanser after Dynamite.

The opening match between Moxley and Ethan Page was a very solid one, Moxley resisted his worst instincts and they worked a decent contest with a well done finish that gave Moxley the win he needed but didn't make Page look weak in defeat. The little exchange between Danielson and Moxley after the match was interesting, I hope this is just a detour for Danielson to pick up a win over a name while Hangman has a few successful defences before Danielson takes the World title off him, and hopefully Danielson is in control and Moxley works Danielson's match instead of Danielson getting dragged down into Moxley's garbage wrestling fetish with barbedwire, exploding ring, thumbtack fests.

Isn't Rampage filmed after Dynamite airs live? How did the tag match they booked on Dynamite end up as a singles match between Nick Jackson and Trent Baretta when it took place like 30 minutes after it was booked! At any rate the match was the standard copy and paste move roundabout ode to the worst type of Japanese wrestling. Nick Jackson is one of the most fluid athletes I've ever seen, it's a pity he never learned how to work.

Hook did his thing perfectly yet again, mowing through the jobber and even ragdolling him with the Redrum before dispensing of QT Marshall again, Taz is hopefully having plenty of input in how his kid is booked.

There was a Mercedes Martinez and Thunder Rosa promo vid! :wow: maybe they'll actually get around to having a match in a few weeks....

The Jade Carghill vs Ana Jay main event was a real surprise, they didn't go too long, worked credibly and even built into a couple of good counter move sequences that teased a surprise finish before Jade hit an awesome one arm Powerbomb and the Glamslam for the win, the way she worked the camera afterwards was great.

#10347 Hunter Rider, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    javonstokess and NDX like this.
  23. Hunter Rider Ronin

24. Hunter Rider Ronin

25. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Hook stepping over a groaning QT after he suplexed him was gangster.

NXT randomly having Karen Q drop the Mei Ying gimmick for a sleepy Orange Cassidy slacker gimmick as Wendy Choo. Boa inherited her gimmick now.