The Xbox One - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess at least it's nice that you get to keep your entire friends list.

Spidey-Bat, I know where you are coming from. And that's were I was coming from is that it is legal to borrow so now they are trying to find a way to tone that down. Whatever they do can always be turned into "if you don't like it don't buy it". Again, which is where I'm headed. The REAL issue for us gamers now is whether people buy this remains to be seen and that will further decide if this gets adopted by others. Hopefully not.

Unfortunately, the only way they'll listen to customers is if we speak with our wallets. It's an easy decision for me since I have a gaming PC and not much interest in exclusive titles anymore.

Now they are saying 360 Headsets wont be compatible either

I guess at least it's nice that you get to keep your entire friends list.

That's definitely something. There's no way I'm giving away my Star Wars Xbox 360, so no bc doesn't really bother me.

As long as they include a headset in the box and we don't have to buy one, I don't care. The headset from my launch 360 still works perfectly, so I'm optimistic that the new headsets will also last (assuming they do include one in the box).

Last edited:

Like specifically the headset that comes with the console or others made by seperate companies (turtle beach, tritton etc.) as well? Am I gonna have to buy a new chatpad also? Ive gotten insanely use to playing with one connected, it feels very foreign when its not.

It would be really cool if there were cross console xbox live parties. I know a lot of my friends wont be getting this for a while after its release. I hope they get into the specifics on that subject soon.

I don't think there'd be cross console live parties. If the new Xbox isn't backwards compatible, I don't see why they'd make Live backwards compatible too.

Like specifically the headset that comes with the console or others made by seperate companies (turtle beach, tritton etc.) as well? Am I gonna have to buy a new chatpad also? Ive gotten insanely use to playing with one connected, it feels very foreign when its not.

It would be really cool if there were cross console xbox live parties. I know a lot of my friends wont be getting this for a while after its release. I hope they get into the specifics on that subject soon.
External headsets that work with any products and aren't XBox specific should work. Unless they don't allow external headsets on XB1 which wouldn't really make sense.

And if the party chat is replaced by Skype that should be possible. We'll see though.

I don't think there'd be cross console live parties. If the new Xbox isn't backwards compatible, I don't see why they'd make Live backwards compatible too.
XBox Live already works across other products like windows phones and pc. It's not an XBox 360 specific thing.

Xbox One Incompatible with Current Gaming Headsets
New proprietary data port makes current-gen products obsolete

Of the many details that began to trickle out of Microsoft's Xbox One reveal, the next-gen console's controller accessory port went largely unnoticed, but its inclusion could have a lasting impact for players. As we learned during our hands-on session, the new controller will come equipped with a new, proprietary data port that replaces the chat cable connector found on the current generation, which a trusted source tell us will make the system incompatible with existing gaming headsets, including high-end audio products like those made by Astro Gaming, Turtle Beach, Tritton, and others.

While game audio will be available through the system's optical port, in order to support chat communications, headsets will be required to make use of the new connection type. While it's possible that either Microsoft or third-party makers could develop an adapter to offer backwards compatibility, we're told that the new port is part of a larger strategy to gain control over the accessory market. Manufacturers will not only need to develop entirely new products for the new connection standard, but use licensing and authentication protocols from Microsoft, potentially driving up costs for consumers. The licensing program could also limit the variety and competitive nature of the accessory market since all manufacturers would be required to adhere to Microsoft's terms.

On the other hand, the proprietary format could offer significant improvements to the chat audio experience. The new data port reportedly supports stereo audio, potentially for the purpose of delivering game audio directly from the controller or simply boosting mono chat audio in the current-gen to stereo. In the case of the latter, stereo chat audio could lead to virtualized directional communications, allowing players to hear where a nearby player is speaking from — a feature currently found in PC titles like ARMA 2.

When reached for comment, Microsoft representatives didn't explicitly state that current hardware was incompatible, but rather that the company was focusing on new devices:

"We are working with 3rd party headset manufacturers to create new headsets that will take full advantage of the Xbox One technology," company representatives said. "We will share more details in the future."

It's also unclear is whether Microsoft is currently developing a headset solution of its own or will instead utilize the Kinect's noise cancellation and player detection technology to serve as the primary chat receiver.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05...sets?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Microsoft: "We don't give the customer what they want, we tell them what they want."

As a current Xbox 360 only owner (and..Well..WiiU Tu) I find myself in the awkward position of not really wanting to get late released games and just wanting to wait to see if they'll get next gen ports. Arkham Origins being one of those games.

That headset thing is stupid. Doesn't really matter for standard headsets which are so cheap but annoying for anyone who's bought an expensive gaming headset.

And this I really agree with and can't understand why still not implemented:
The One Thing All Three Consoles Could Really Learn From The PC

Noone complains about used games on Steam and for good reason.

I legit just bought a Turtle Beach headset a few weeks ago. It seems absolutely stupid that I can't use it with the new console.

I'm sorry, but with every new piece of info I read about Xbox One it makes me dislike the console more and more. No used games without a fee? No borrowing/lending games without a fee? No backwards compatibility even though 360 will still be going strong? No Xbox Live Arcade compatibility for the countless XBLA titles I own?

These are all functions that should've been a no brainer, but instead we get a push on always-online functions, always-on Kinect, and TV functions that aren't even available outside the USA. WTF??

Seriously, I feel like I'm on a prank show.

Steam should be a model for EVERYTHING. I swear once I get my PS4 my next "system" will be a gaming PC. Been thinking about building one for a while now...This might be the thing that makes me do it.

Hey Steambox, Call me sometime. :fhm:

I want the Steambox to be coming so bad, I already got a massive library thanks to Humble Bundles.

I want the Steambox to be coming so bad, I already got a massive library thanks to Humble Bundles.

I love Steam. I'm not a huge pc gamer but I've accumulated more games than I'll ever be able to play for hilariously tiny amounts of cash, just taking advantage of the the winter and summer sales.

Steambox will probably be nice but even without it the idea of buying a good gaming pc and hooking it up to the hdtv in the living room is an increasingly attractive one.

I like consoles and the PS4 has potential but unless a lot of things change MS can go hang. The only reason I went with the 360 this gen is because that's what all my friends had. And then we barely ever were able to play online together anyway. I feel like I should have stuck with Sony from the start. I would have missed out on....err, Gears of War? Shadow Complex? Good games but that's a depressingly small list. Yeesh.

Last edited:
I wonder if its already too late for MS?

Gamers are not the type of ppl to admit they were wrong and there are a LOT of em completely writing MS off(with good reason). But what if MS comes out at E3 and shows the console as a games machine, shows off a lot of features that better the gaming experience and shows off some of these "15 exclusives" they'll have?

Im not so sure gamers jump at the chance to say, yea we were wrong, you've got a great system here. I think the vitriol continues.

Looks like old boy that was on Twitter all "deal with it" was not in fact that far off the mark.

I wonder if its already too late for MS?

Gamers are not the type of ppl to admit they were wrong and there are a LOT of em completely writing MS off(with good reason). But what if MS comes out at E3 and shows the console as a games machine, shows off a lot of features that better the gaming experience and shows off some of these "15 exclusives" they'll have?

Im not so sure gamers jump at the chance to say, yea we were wrong, you've got a great system here. I think the vitriol continues.

I think it will also have something to do with how well Sony shows at E3.

if Sony comes out swinging with an equally impressive lineup of games and shows that their focus is on games and gamers, and not charging fees left and right, then MS could be in trouble.

especially if both consoles are equally priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"