The Xbox One - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not what Microsoft is saying though. They are saying that I can chat using the Kinect as a mic, but ONLY in a party chat environment. Besides, I'm pretty sure that either Halo Reach and/or Halo 4 (can't remember) and other games I'm sure had in game commands, but I was still able to use the 360's Kinect just fine.

Yea I see. I haven't tried using Kinect as a mic, iv always found it to be an awful system. Its best if you just use a mic, for yourself and those you are playing with. No one wants to chat with someone using kinect, it sounds awful.

On the subject of mic/headset.. The one that comes with the one is Fantastic

On the subject of mic/headset.. The one that comes with the one is Fantastic

Yea i think its better than the standard mics that came with the 360. Hopefully MS will make an official wireless mic fairly soon though.

I don't do wireless headsets. I'll stick with the freebie.

I don't do wireless headsets. I'll stick with the freebie.

The official MS wireless headset I had for the 360 was the best headset i ever owned and iv gone through quite a few. Im sure MS will make another, hopefully its as good or better.

I still use my 360 headset, and it hasn't ever broke down on me. I've had it since 2006. All of my wired headsets have crapped out on me.

I've never used wired but meant to buy one many times as I always pull out the cord by mistake during multiplayer games when in a party. So annoying! Wish I'd gone with wireless for the Astro A40. That thing has way too many wires (4 for one headset!)

I'm using Crackle on the XB1 for the first time and I'm trying to watch Black Dynamite but when I watch it the Title, Summary, Timeline, RR, Pause, FF, icons are all on the screen and they won't disappear.

I'm using Crackle on the XB1 for the first time and I'm trying to watch Black Dynamite but when I watch it the Title, Summary, Timeline, RR, Pause, FF, icons are all on the screen and they won't disappear.

Must be an oddity with Crackle. On any of the other video services, you just press B once and all that stuff goes away.

I just selected the movie like three times and it finally disappeared. Weird.

If they did, would they refund me $500 that I spent not even three months ago? :dry:

If they did, would they refund me $500 that I spent not even three months ago? :dry:

Im gonna say that'd be a hard no.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they did drop it(not saying i expect them to). I mean the brand only costs them money, so why would a business keep something that doesn't make them a profit?

Can someone with more knowledge shed light on this? Why MS still keeps the Xbox brand around and continues to pour money into it when they aren't seeing any kind of return?

I don't see the Xbox brand going anywhere I really don't. Those investors can ask all they want.

I don't see the Xbox brand going anywhere I really don't. Those investors can ask all they want.

Why do you say that though? Im just trying to better understand the situation. I mean the Xbox brand loses money, so why keep it around?

Oh and for the record, these investors have been asking MS to dump the Xbox brand for some time now. The difference being the last guys in charge were instrumental in getting the Xbox division up and running, this new guy, had nothing to do with it, meaning he might not have any emotional ties to the brand.

From what I've read, that's just crappy journalism. They're bringing back a rumor from like a year ago.

I also heard Satya helped work on some Xbox Live stuff, so he might have some attachment to it.

From what I've read, that's just crappy journalism. They're bringing back a rumor from like a year ago.

I also heard Satya helped work on some Xbox Live stuff, so he might have some attachment to it.

Yea it very well could be.

But the topic is still viable. Why would MS keep the Xbox brand around when it isn't profitable?

Yea it very well could be.

But the topic is still viable. Why would MS keep the Xbox brand around when it isn't profitable?

The potential of future profit and future synergies for the company with the rest of the business. Many of the biggest and most profitable companies in the world were (and will be again) unprofitable for many years but anything that generates big revenue has realistic potential of making big profits down the line if managed well and when circumstances become more favourable. And you can't just make an Xbox, the brand strength and that ecosystem, success and fanbase overnight if you decide later you want to reenter the market.

Sony as a whole company have been unprofitable for a fair while but good management and losing the lossmaking divisions and investing in those that have more potential can see them become a big force again. And many hugely successful companies will stop making a profit during years of economic recession as part of their natural business but make a killing when those years pass.

As for the rumours of the investors wanting them to drop Xbox & Bing these are requests by respected activist investors who lead hedge funds and own big shareholdings and have influence. The same thing is happening with these guys trying to get Sony to spinoff their entertainment division. I don't think it'll happen but you never know. If that guy Elop had gotten into power it probably would have happened.

The potential of future profit and future synergies for the company with the rest of the business. Many of the biggest and most profitable companies in the world were (and will be again) unprofitable for many years but anything that generates big revenue has realistic potential of making big profits down the line if managed well and when circumstances become more favourable. And you can't just make an Xbox, the brand strength and that ecosystem, success and fanbase overnight if you decide later you want to reenter the market.

Sony as a whole company have been unprofitable for a fair while but good management and losing the lossmaking divisions and investing in those that have more potential can see them become a big force again. And many hugely successful companies will stop making a profit during years of economic recession as part of their natural business but make a killing when those years pass.

As for the rumours of the investors wanting them to drop Xbox & Bing these are requests by respected activist investors who lead hedge funds and own big shareholdings and have influence. The same thing is happening with these guys trying to get Sony to spinoff their entertainment division. I don't think it'll happen but you never know. If that guy Elop had gotten into power it probably would have happened.

Yea that makes sense. They must project big profits in the future to go through the profit loss now.

It has to turn some form of profit

I'm sure someone at sega said the same thing about the dreamcast at some point?

The whole essence of the xbox one is practically MS saying they want to get out of the gaming world by marketing it more as a "entertainment console".

With Apple and other companies looking to get into that market as well, in terms of living room entertainment, I can see MS pulling out and just focusing on what they do best... making zunes.

The whole essence of the xbox one is practically MS saying they want to get out of the gaming world by marketing it more as a "entertainment console".

No, i don't think thats accurate in the least. MS's belief is that gamers are more likely to be doing much more than just gaming. They are likely to watch TV, mess with apps, download music and movies, along with gaming. They think they can reach a larger audience by stating the Xbox One is more than a gaming machine, its an entertainment hub, but they are in NO way saying they want out of the gaming market by creating the One. Thats rubbish.

Word.

As a guy that has BOTH a PS4 and One I'm actually playing the One. Ore now due to all of its entertainment features. Most of them simple that the PS4 doesn't have.

Next sales numbers should be interesting. I know a lot of guys that currently have PS4's that will be picking up a One soon (Titanfall) and I also know people who are job buying a One rather than waiting on the PS4 because Sony is having such a stock issue.

Yeah, I think it will be interesting in the long term as a lot of the vocal anti Xbox guys are hardcore gamers underneath who bought a PS4 day 1 but who also have bought more than one console this gen and who I think still have a chance of quietly buying an X1 at some point even if it's years later. And it really is a good media device. I've used it more for that than gaming so far and I didn't really do that with the 360. Many people deny it but one glance at nearly anyone's friend's list in action will show a good percentage on Netflix or something media related.

Word.

As a guy that has BOTH a PS4 and One I'm actually playing the One. Ore now due to all of its entertainment features. Most of them simple that the PS4 doesn't have.

Next sales numbers should be interesting. I know a lot of guys that currently have PS4's that will be picking up a One soon (Titanfall) and I also know people who are job buying a One rather than waiting on the PS4 because Sony is having such a stock issue.

I'm actually curious as to what entertainment features the X1 has over the PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"