Theo Rossi is Shades

Discussion in 'Luke Cage' started by BarryAllen, Aug 13, 2016.

1. BarryAllen

BarryAllen ey b0ss

[​IMG]

Very interested in how the show portrays Shades, particularily with them stressing his manipulative and calculating demeanor and importance to Cage's past, as well as connections to Cottonmouth. Shades seems like he might be a big player in this world (and hopefully Comanche pops up as well).

2. BarryAllen

BarryAllen ey b0ss

I'm reposting this from an earlier discussion in the general thread:

Jeph Loeb made some interesting comments about him in this Collider interview (http://collider.com/comic-con-2016-luke-cage-showrunner-mike-colter-interview-marvel/):

Particularily the bolded part stands out to me. The first character you ask what to do with and consider crucial to Cage's origin is Shades? Even above Willis Stryker?

I think Shades might be playing a bigger role in this series than most of us thought outside of being Cottonmouth's goon. They've been describing him as a opportunist and strategist, so I'm thinking while he's working with Cottonmouth, he'll be planning, observing and try and seize Cottonmouth's assets while there's a power void when Cottonmouth and Cage come into conflict. This lines up with this IGN interview with Theo Rossi:

https://youtu.be/Z3UmFu8dTOY?t=1m53s

Rossi mentions how Shades is always "moving chesspieces around in his head", while interestingly enough stating that Cottonmouth and Shades grew up together, which could either be:
    1. true
    2. possibly a mistatement about Shades and Cage growing up together as part of the Rivals gang, which lines up with the previous info we've gotten of Shades having "ties to Cage's mysterious past" and a "history with Luke Cage"
    3. a combination of both with Shades having grown up with Cottonmouth and the "ties to Cage's mysterious past" from the casting announcement only referring to Cage meeting him and Comanche while locked up in Seagate Prison, ignoring the Rivals gang connection between the two of them (while still keeping that between Cage and Stryker)

He also says that while Cottonmouth and Shades respect each other, "everyone wants the top spot". Other interviews have also mentioned Shades as being the Machiavellian character on the show (and comparing him to Game of Thrones's Littlefinger).

This makes me think Shades might end up coming out on top after Cage combats Cottonmouth and Black Mariah's schemes, possibly setting him up to a major player (possibly even a big bad for Season 2?).

3. Slick

Slick Yup

Theo Rossi did a great job as Shades

4. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

Yep, very good. He was very compelling, so [blackout]I'm glad he survived.[/blackout]

5. Darepool

Darepool Well-Known Member

Theo was great. One of the most tense moments in the season for me was when he was being strangled in the freight elevator. Really happy he'll be back.

6. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

The Gangster consultant :)

7. eon001

eon001 Well-Known Member

Hated him on Sons of Anarchy and dreaded his performance in this, but I was pleasantly surprised. Had a creepy little finger vibe about him. Not overly intimidating but calculated and sinister.

8. Speed Force

Speed Force Your phone's charged

He might have been my favorite of all the villains in this season...other than Turk Barrett of course.

Hopefully Shades pops up elsewhere

9. Pokkle

Pokkle Well-Known Member

He was great. :woot:

Looking forward for him in the future.

10. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

I'd love for Shades to somehow end up working with Fisk

11. Saitou Hajime

Saitou Hajime Well-Known Member

Shades was awesome. I have a soft spot for street-savvy, smooth-talking dragons that could weasel their way out of a pinch. I was ready to get really mad when it looked like he was going to get taken out like a cheap hood, but I should've known better than to doubt the tenacity of my man. I love the dynamic he had with Mariah.

12. Rick the Ruler

Rick the Ruler Well-Known Member

That would be pretty interesting. And menacing.

13. Sundancer

Sundancer Cynicist

Law. Yer.

14. Elayis

Elayis Well-Known Member

Theo Rossi just isn't a good actor. He was tolerable on SoA because his part was small and he was supposed to be young and green anyways, but he's just not talented enough to pull off being a badass. He tried much too hard to appear cool, reminded me a lot of Jared Leto's Joker. Just not intimidating at all.

15. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

He's awesome, easily the best villain this season, and the most charismatic actor through and through.

16. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Really liked him. He was a slimeball, but he was wise and knew when to act and when to hold back. I hope to see him team up with Fisk or somebody. And then hopefully get thrown in jail, especially after what he did in the last episode.

17. Guard82

Guard82 Well-Known Member

Shades was excellent in this show, a great villain and an intriguing character overall. Theo Rossi brought a lot of gravitas and intelligence to the character with his great performances, and the writing was good too. Shades reminded me of many devious Shakespearean characters such as Richard III and Iago. He was smart, careful, calculating, and silver-tongued, and could also be quite brutal when he wanted to be. Overall, a terrific performance.

18. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

What was so great about him? Came off so cheesy. Anytime he had no good dialogue he just takes his glasses off. I can't believe people are saying he's a better villain than cottonmouth. What?

19. Manowar

Manowar Well-Known Member

100% agree. I like Theo but he acted exactly like he did as "Juice" from Sons of Anarchy. It was like seeing the same character.

Cottonmouth was great!

20. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

Anyone think that Shades could eventually become the Profiler?