Theories on why Wolverine was called LOGAN in the film.

Golgo-13

The Return of the O.G
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this alot over the last few days. I remember only Stryker calling him Logan and Gambit. Victor always referred to him as James.

Could it be that when they went before the firing squad and survived, Stryker had both James and Victor 'officially' pronounced dead, before he recruited them into his team, under a new alias, ala Logan? But if that's the case, then why does Stryker still calls Victor by his real name...?

I figured that as time went on, both James and Victor would have to keep changing their names, so no one would get suspicious as to how old they were. I'm gonna look at the movie again. Wolverine SHOULD have his name on his Army fatigues; his last name anyway.

Why he's called Logan still troubles me.....

The most sensible theory I think is that it is the name he took on after he retired...as a way to start a "new life."

I've also heard it suggested that it's his last name. So his family name was Logan and Victor's family name was Creed.

I thought his name was James Hewett..or something like that..?

It is in the comics, but they never say it in the movies.

Of course it's probably given in the credits. I didn't bother to check.

One of the lumberjacks also called him Logan.

I like the "James Howlett Logan" idea with that being his birth name in the movies, even though it's never really clear.

It reminds me of how in some media, they were giving his full official name in the first movie as "Logan Wolverine", kinda like how a Native American name would go as John Redcorn or something. :p

So, they kept his last name, took it as his surname and Wolverine became his honorary family name passed down from a heartfelt tale from who was essential his wife. When Stryker meets him again in X2, he calls him first by "Wolverine."

I think it was his father's name...not Creed's father like in the comics.

In the Origins comic, I think his birth father (Dog's father, the groundskeeper) is named Logan Creed.

I think that in this film, the man who died, the man that James Howelett believed to be his father was named Logan Howelett.

Only thing I can think of.

-R

the man who gets shot by creed and logans father is John Howlett but his father in which he stabs is Thomas Logan in the film

In the Origins mini series the groundskeeper's name is Thomas Logan and his son's name is Dog.

I thought he took on the name Logan to avoid suspicion since he and Victor were enlisted in the arm for over 150 years

the man who gets shot by creed and logans father is John Howlett but his father in which he stabs is Thomas Logan in the film
In the comics. But it is never said in the film. So I am assuming they named the surrogate father Logan Howelet. Why would James take the name of the man that killed the man who raised him?

-R

Oh come on! Now you're just trying to make up for bad writing!

Does anybody remember if wolverine is Canadian at the start of the film. I thought he was James Howlett at the start of the film and then goes through the American wars then when he quits i assumed he moved to Canada and changed his name to Logan (not sure why) to try and not to be found. I don't think the film ever even tries to explain why he picked Logan. Seems just like a random name he choosed. But if he was Canadian all along then what i assumed doesn't seem right.

he works in a sawmill(sp), with trees and LOG.. or LOG ANd trees.. hence, LOGAN

oh man, that was beyond silly

I think it was his father's name...not Creed's father like in the comics.

In the Origins comic, I think his birth father (Dog's father, the groundskeeper) is named Logan Creed.

I think that in this film, the man who died, the man that James Howelett believed to be his father was named Logan Howelett.

Only thing I can think of.

-R

In Origins Dog's father was named Thomas Logan. He gets the name Logan in the comics because when Wolverine and Rose are on the run and they finally end up at the logging camp, when Smitty asks Rose Wolverine's name, she calls him Logan because she didn't want to use his real name and it was the first one she thought of.

Also, the most logical thing would be that Logan was his last name in the movie-verse. And while it's not a big thing, it was annoying that they didn't address it, because it would have only taken one line and a few seconds.

Stryker "So you're going by your old family name?"
Logan "It's who I am now."

Simple, but they didnt' do it.

why is it bad writing for him to change his name to logan after starting a new life.

Does anybody remember if wolverine is Canadian at the start of the film. I thought he was James Howlett at the start of the film and then goes through the American wars then when he quits i assumed he moved to Canada and changed his name to Logan (not sure why) to try and not to be found. I don't think the film ever even tries to explain why he picked Logan. Seems just like a random name he choosed. But if he was Canadian all along then what i assumed doesn't seem right.

Oh, that's been a big joke up here in the great white North. The opening titles mention him living in the Canadian Northwest Territories in the year 1840-whatever. However, Canada wasn't declared a country, or divided into provinces, until 1867.

While this is no doubt a case of movie shorthand, it is, perhaps wrongly (but forgivably due the movie's endless flaws and holes), seen as yet another fail on the already heaping pile.

In Origins Dog's father was named Thomas Logan. He gets the name Logan in the comics because when Wolverine and Rose are on the run and they finally end up at the logging camp, when Smitty asks Rose Wolverine's name, she calls him Logan because she didn't want to use his real name and it was the first one she thought of.

Also, the most logical thing would be that Logan was his last name in the movie-verse. And while it's not a big thing, it was annoying that they didn't address it, because it would have only taken one line and a few seconds.

Stryker "So you're going by your old family name?"
Logan "It's who I am now."

Simple, but they didnt' do it.

Bingo!

why is it bad writing for him to change his name to logan after starting a new life.

Because it's never addressed. It doesn't have to relate to his old life, but it needs to be explained in some way. It's just bad story telling to suddenly show a character with an established name be addressed by another one for no apparent reason.

You could do the same thing I said above.

Stryker "So You're calling yourself Logan I hear?"
Logan "I'm a different person now."

Takes less than 5 seconds to do.

exactly because before the sawmill scenes he was just called jimmy

Because it's never addressed. It doesn't have to relate to his old life, but it needs to be explained in some way. It's just bad story telling to suddenly show a character with an established name be addressed by another one for no apparent reason.

You could do the same thing I said above.

Stryker "So You're calling yourself Logan I hear?"
Logan "I'm a different person now."

Takes less than 5 seconds to do.

That part really threw me. It was like "did I miss something???".:huh:

I mean, they went out of their way to explain his damn jacket! Would it have killed them to throw a hint as to why he's called Logan?

i really hate plot holes how can a serious writer producer and director look at there finished product and not see the plot holes that is just unprofessional and just bad imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"