There will be no peace in the Wrestling Thread until there is justice! - Part 88

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished the match and it was good, not great. There were several innovative counters and sequences that those two hadn't done before. Punk's piledriver was perfect and Cena actually hit his top rope legdrop.

On the flip side, the first 10 minutes were a headlock fest (not uncommon for Punk matches) and Cena blew two spots: he did a double take on a headlock throw and he nearly knocked himself out on that botched hurricanrana. There was also either a slip or a miscommunication on a sunset flip that was probably both of them.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars. Acceptable for a TV main event.

Is anyone else tired of Lawler's fanboyish manner sometimes as a commentator?

I'm thankful and happy he made a speedy recovery and is back, but sometimes he becomes annoying to hear.

I just finished the match and it was good, not great. There were several innovative counters and sequences that those two hadn't done before. Punk's piledriver was perfect and Cena actually hit his top rope legdrop.

On the flip side, the first 10 minutes were a headlock fest (not uncommon for Punk matches) and Cena blew two spots: he did a double take on a headlock throw and he nearly knocked himself out on that botched hurricanrana. There was also either a slip or a miscommunication on a sunset flip that was probably both of them.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars. Acceptable for a TV main event.

Man you always underrate Cena's great work but whatever, I don't see why you bring up the headlock point, EVERY big match is worked from the base of the two guys starting out looking to gain control over the other with basic headlocks or arm locks, HBK and Bret did this for 25 minutes at WrestleMania 12, it's classic mat wrestling that builds to it's pay off and showcases some nice chain sequences.

I'm thankful and happy he made a speedy recovery and is back, but sometimes he becomes annoying to hear.

Him and Cole are like a couple of teen girls w3atchign a boyband, just nauseating.

Last edited:
Dammit I might have to download Raw now .

Another problem is many people in those crowds seem to WANT Punk as a face. They naturally want to cheer for him. The old idea of what a babyface traditionally is has changed. Punks style now works just as well for a babyface just like it did with Stone Cole or The Outsiders or even Triple H.

Its better to let Punk be what the people naturally WANT him to be instead of forcing it. Thats the whole problem with WWE right now. They aren't letting things happen naturally. Its evident with Cena and Punk and the mixed reactions they both get. Even as a heel a LOT of people are still Punk fans. They know he's that damn good

Punk would be the best face they could have against Lesnar. The story writes itself. Its easy.

That's really the crux of the issues, the fans choose who is face and when you go against it you get that odd uncertain air in an arena, it should be obvious right now that Punk is having to work way too hard to get booed, each week is like he is starting from scratch.

Exactly. The natural conclusion is Punk and Lesnar turning on each other. It almost always happens when two top guys with their own ambitions team up. One of them is going to turn on the other one.

Also Punk vs Lesnar in the end makes WWE more money than Punk and Lesnar just teaming up all the time from now on. its a money match. They'd be stupid to just leave that off the table.
Personally I would have loved to see Punk and Lesnar team up agaisnt Triple H and Taker at Mania, establish that base for them as Heyman guys and then see where to go from there, but regardless the pay off is always going to be Punk vs Lesnar.

Right on target, HR. Its easy to look like the coolest most badass thing when you are ALLOWED to do what other people aren't. Just like Rock getting to swear on Raw. Lots of guys would look edgier too if they got to say b*tch and a** like Dwayne does.

Even when HHH hit Taker in the head with that chair it got a reaction as strong as it did because we don't get to see it anymore. The same is true with Punk using the piledriver on Cena last night. The problem is not everyone gets to break the rules like that and not get punished.

Creative and Vince need to get their heads out of their a**es and give others good opportunites to showcase what they can do. I don't want headshots back or even a bunch of cursing or blood to return but more guys need to have the creative shackles taken off and everyone else should be allowed to be more PG13 or whatever. Great feuds dont need blood but it helps at just the right moment. There were plenty of great heated feuds with no blood as well.

Even Cena drops the clown shoes sh** when he's put in there with a worthy opponent like Punk and allowed to go all out. It makes Cena work that much harder. Everyone saw it. He was more of the John Cena everyone wants to see and he didn't need a heel turn to do it last night.

Instead WWE plays it safe and sticks him with Mr. Hollywood again and Cena regresses as usual. Time for less playing it safe with part timers and more pushing the boundaries with the potentially great roster they already have.
Exactly, the Triple H and Lesnar stuff only seemed so unique because no one else is allowed to get colour, had they did the same brawl with no blood I doubt there would be nearly as much "ZOMG that was awesomez!!11" going on.

At the end of the day they should filter stuff like a little bit of blood and a piledriver now and then to make things seem special but it should be for EVERYONE who is on the push side of the coin, not just the son in law and two top guys who defy Vince because he can't punish them.

- Vince McMahon reportedly "blew a gasket" backstage at RAW last night during the CM Punk vs. John Cena main event. Word is that Vince got upset when Punk hit Cena with a piledriver, which is a banned move when done the way Punk did it. Vince was upset with Cena and Punk but because it was them, there will likely be no serious punishment.

Source. F4WOnline

:funny: Don't worry Vince, you'll get over it when you realize you just got the best match WWE has produced in 2 and a half years.

So I'm guessing this will be the WrestleMania card.
WWE Title Match
The Rock vs John Cena

CM Punk vs The Undertaker

Brock Lesnar vs Triple H

WHC Match
Del Rio vs Jack Swagger

The Shield vs Orton, Jericho & Sheamus

Big Show vs Booker T

Roidback vs Mark Henry

Triple Threat Tag Title Match
Team Hell No vs Rhodes Scholars vs Kofi & R Truth

The Miz vs Dolph Ziggler

I figure Miz and Ziggler will surely make the card and so I took a punt on that match. I also think Lesnar vs nostrils will have a stip, I'd prefer something like a cage in order to allow The Shield's match to be a street fight.

Man you always underrate Cena's great work but whatever, I don't see why you bring up the headlock point, EVERY big match is worked from the base of the two guys starting out looking to gain control over the other with basic headlocks or arm locks, HBK and Bret did this for 25 minutes at WrestleMania 12, it's classic mat wrestling that builds to it's pay off and showcases some nice chain sequences.

That's also a match that I consider overrated. Bret called the match and worked away from HBK's strengths as a performer. Not only did it lack the multiple falls and high spots that it should have had, the headlock was a redundant stalling technique. Wrestlers can rest with a variety of holds that appear to be working toward an end instead of just sucking wind. I don't consider WM 12 to be in HBK's top 10 matches despite it's importance to his career.

That's also a match that I consider overrated. Bret called the match and worked away from HBK's strengths as a performer. Not only did it lack the multiple falls and high spots that it should have had, the headlock was a redundant stalling technique. Wrestlers can rest with a variety of holds that appear to be working toward an end instead of just sucking wind. I don't consider WM 12 to be in HBK's top 10 matches despite it's importance to his career.

It lacked multiple falls because neither of them wanted to do a job for the other, the last 30 minutes was a constant stream of high spots. Cena and Punk weren't using the headlock to grab wind, you do that later in a match if one of you is gassed. They used the headlock as a way to try and gain control over each other; "Control the body and you control the match" as the saying goes, that is how the first 5-10 minutes are with almost all big matches from HBK, Flair, Bret, Savage etc.....

I will be shocked if the Rock doesn't mention WWE in his interviews when promoting GI Joe Redemption and Fast and Furious 6. Then again, I could see Jay Leno and David Letterman not ask any WWE related questions.

I believe he'll make appearances on Jimmy Fallon (a big WWE fan) and probably Jimmy Kimmel. Letterman seems like a long shot.

Even though Snitch was out, the WWE was waiting for his two big films.

Punk vs Cena was a great tv match last night. Not just good. It was better than ANY PPV match Rock has had since his return. People like to sh** on Cena but he upped his game in the ring last night. When they don't have to worry about carrying or protecting a rusty old part timer and know they can depend on the other guy squaring off against them to work just as hard both Punk and Cena "bring it."

A great match is a great match when people put their biases and preferences aside. I'll give credit anyone. Even guys I don't like. I'm tired of HHH but when he brings his A "game" on the stick or in the ring I always give him credit. Same for Del Rio or Rock or anyone.

Sadly its also why Vince keeps him around. Lawler is commentating in exactly the way Vince wants. He loves it even while he openly resents Jerrys old partner Jim Ross, his style, and how much the fans love him. I know the fans love Lawler (I do too) but I'd almost want him to go more heelish in his announcing the way he did during the New Generation. We don't need the puppys and crassness of the Attitude Era but during the New Generation era programming Lawlers wit and observations were as sharp as a tack. He really knew how to get faces and heels over.

Right now JBL is the best color comm guy in WWE by far. He doesn't sound nearly as stale and predictably childish as Lawler. The King and Cole are often an annoyance to the matches more than a benefit.

Originally Posted by Hunter Rider
That's really the crux of the issues, the fans choose who is face and when you go against it you get that odd uncertain air in an arena, it should be obvious right now that Punk is having to work way too hard to get booed, each week is like he is starting from scratch.

Absolutely. Punk has to resort to cheap heat and really dirty stuff. He's a great heel don't get me wrong but he's also a great babyface in his own way. Vince has proved he doesn't give a f*** about tradition anyway so this is one case where he should bend his "traditional" views on what a face or heel "should" to be. Punks got an abrasivness to him that fans love to see with him as a babyface.

Personally I would have loved to see Punk and Lesnar team up agaisnt Triple H and Taker at Mania, establish that base for them as Heyman guys and then see where to go from there, but regardless the pay off is always going to be Punk vs Lesnar.

They'd make a great team under Heyman. Hell I'd even be down for a Dangerous Alliance type of stable. But like you said they eventually have to face off. The potential match up just screams quality.

Exactly, the Triple H and Lesnar stuff only seemed so unique because no one else is allowed to get colour, had they did the same brawl with no blood I doubt there would be nearly as much "ZOMG that was awesomez!!11" going on.

At the end of the day they should filter stuff like a little bit of blood and a piledriver now and then to make things seem special but it should be for EVERYONE who is on the push side of the coin, not just the son in law and two top guys who defy Vince because he can't punish them.

I agree. A little blood every now and then is a good thing. Like in a HIAC match or a heated blood feud or battle. But the more its used the more blood or chairshots or anything uber violent loses the potency of its emotional impact. In moderation things like that are effective tools in a wrestlers storytelling arsenel. The just have to be used in the right place at the right time.

Anyone who has the talent or the presence and knows how to use such elements of storytelling should be allowed to operate under the same rules as the favorite sons of the company. When a big bad monster like Mark Henry has to say he's going to kick someones "behind" or that another wrestler doesn't have anything in their "private spot" its beyond embaressing. And they HAVE made Mark say that exact same preschool sh** while The Rock got to say b**** and a** on tv.

:funny: Don't worry Vince, you'll get over it when you realize you just got the best match WWE has produced in 2 and a half years.

Vince might be pissed but he can bet his a** Cena vs Punk will still end up on the best of Raw and Smackdown 2013 dvd/blu ray.

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
I will be shocked if the Rock doesn't mention WWE in his interviews when promoting GI Joe Redemption and Fast and Furious 6. Then again, I could see Jay Leno and David Letterman not ask any WWE related questions.

I love how you call it "Redemption." You're right. Very appropriate after the crappy first film.

If G.I. Joe Retaliation sucks then somebody just wake me up when the reboot arrives in 5 or 10 or 15 years.

Last edited:
This is totally unnecessary, although Santino, Brodus Clay or Hornswoggle will likely take this role:

VORTEXX ON THE CW ANNOUNCES UPCOMING THREE-WEEK SPECIAL ON WWE SATURDAY MORNING SLAM

WWE Superstars Battle to Become the General Manager and All-Powerful Boss of Saturday Morning Slam

LOS ANGELES (February 26, 2013) – Vortexx on The CW, an affiliate of Saban Brands, today announced a WWE Saturday Morning Slam special to debut during the five-hour kids television block, airing on March 2, March 9 and March 16 at 10:30 a.m. During this three-week special, fans can expect to see larger-than-life WWE Superstars battle it out in the fight to be named the General Manager of WWE Saturday Morning Slam.

In the first episode, which airs on March 2, mayhem breaks out among the Superstars of WWE Saturday Morning Slam. It’s time to bring in a powerful General Manager to reign them all in. As the WWE Superstars start to jockey and compete for the chance to become boss, things get even more heated.

The battle to be boss continues on March 9 when four top WWE Superstars face off to impress the powers-that-be. The electrifying conclusion to the story will air on March 16 when the new General Manager of WWE Saturday Morning Slam will be crowned.

“We are very excited to offer our fans the opportunity to witness all of the extreme in-ring action leading up to the crowning of the WWE Superstar who will become the General Manager of WWE Saturday Morning Slam and rule over them all,” said Elie Dekel, Co-President of Vortexx. “We hope the fans are just as eager as we are to see who will claim the ultimate title."

So just finished Raw...

Great match! Cena learned a few new moves and Punk with a Pile Driver and countering Cena's moves.

Man, I had a smile on my face throughout the match even though the end result wasn't what I wanted.

Punk has had two amazing Raw matches this year. The one with Jericho that the fans voted for and the classic with Cena last night. Punk is probably in my all time top 10 favorites already.

I'm really getting sick and tired of Ziggler losing. They're lucky they're isn't a WCW-equivalent wrestling company right now because I'm sure he'd jump ship.

Ziggler is bound to cash in , but for some reason they like to give rising stars a losing streak and curb their momentum. WWE is lucky there is no WCW. The only reason we don't see more people jump ship to TNA is because of the money.

- Vince McMahon reportedly "blew a gasket" backstage at RAW last night during the CM Punk vs. John Cena main event. Word is that Vince got upset when Punk hit Cena with a piledriver, which is a banned move when done the way Punk did it. Vince was upset with Cena and Punk but because it was them, there will likely be no serious punishment.

Source. F4WOnline

I think last night was designed to get Cena more over with the naysayers about his ability to wrestle. It reminded me of last year when Rock had to scribble on his arm so Cena would have some fuel to his fire. Not a bad idea heading into Wrestlemania. Punk really is a rebel though and maybe some of that is rubbing off onto Cena.

As far as I'm concerned its already the biggest and best rivalry between two full time guys going today. WWE just needs to get their thumb out of their a** and start promoting it as such. Cena vs Orton got that and that bullsh** wasn't anywhere near this good.

Its even passed Cena vs Edge IMO. These two tear it down every time they touch in that ring. Thats insane. They have amazing chemistry. It really is the modern day Hogan vs Savage. When Punk went for the Savage elbow drop I popped. :yay:

It really is the best match going today. How anyone would give that one a low rating is beyond me. Vince must be tired of these two wrestling because it goes against his agenda and proves him wrong. It's interesting because you can usually point to two people who define an era in WWE , whether it be Bret/Shawn or Rock/Austin. They wanted to force Orton/Cena ,but of course this blows it completely out of the water and can't be denied.

If Punk got the Undertakers endorsement I think it would be REALLY hard for Vince to deny Punks greatness anymore.

I agree that if Taker loses he should be done. The streak is really all he has that is worthwhile these days. A typical feud with a regular midcard or upper midcard guy he can beat has been pushed as beneath him these last four years. He can't go back to doing that at the other three big PPV's and certainly not the B ppv's.

I just couldn't see the point in him continuing. But if he doesn't retire at Wrestlemania with a win OR loss I think the second best place for him to go out would be Survivor Series. If the streak isn't broken that would be the best place for him to go out in a losing effort putting someone else over.

That might be a good way to get Undertaker in a match with a Daniel Bryan or Dolph Ziggler. You could have him appear at SS one last time , but I don't think he would retire there. If Undertaker loses the streak it has to be the end of his career. It would be the proper sendoff. I really want for it to be Punk , but something tells me Undertaker wouldn't miss WM 30.

Agree on Del Rio and Swagger. After it was over I really didn't give a f*** about either one of them. Not good. So far this program has been a dud. A WHC match that I could see jerking the curtain.

I thought it was awful when Swagger won the EC match and I've seen nothing to change my mind since then. Swagger sleepwalks through Zeb's promos and seems to have a hard enough time spouting his one line "we the people".

Cole showing up to Glenn Beck's office begging for an interview is just cringe worthy. They thought this would be a hot angle , but it's just a "b show" filler feud.

I thought it was awful when Swagger won the EC match and I've seen nothing to change my mind since then. Swagger sleepwalks through Zeb's promos and seems to have a hard enough time spouting his one line "we the people".

Cole showing up to Glenn Beck's office begging for an interview is just cringe worthy. They thought this would be a hot angle , but it's just a "b show" filler feud.

The thing is, the idea does have potential, but everyone involved bar Zeb (that includes creative) are fluffing it.

I really thought it was horrible watching Zeb walk all over Del Rio last night. I mean whoever's idea it was to let Zeb say all that relatively without response from Del Rio must have got a hook up from Swagger.

I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying what it would mean.

I would love for Punk to do it, because I think he's shown that either way, he will be an icon and a legend by the time he's done.

It's hard for me to say if Punk will be a legend once he has retired. He's got the skill to pull it off, but I'm worried about the state of wrestling that may hinder him big time. That's based on how they took his "shoot" promo just to have him lose to Triple H, or when they tried to make his character more of a fan friendly face instead of letting him be a Stone Cold like face, or just the general feeling I get that everything in the WWE eventually revolves back to Cena rising above the odds and winning yet again. His entire title run for over a year seems like just a set up for Cena regaining the title at Wrestlemania instead of being a big moment in wrestling history. I hope they give let him shine, but my wrestling cynicism keeps telling me that Punk is going to be an exhibit of how wrestling has really declined since Vince got complacent and even more ego driven to tell us what we want.

When this Swagger thing has run its course, I'd like to see Zeb stick around as an onscreen character. Not necessarily as the anti-immigrant racist, but in a similar capacity to Paul Heyman: a manager who reflects a certain approach to wrestling from its past.

While Paul is very much a symbol of the East Coast wrestling scene and the extremities of the 1990s and early 2000s, Zeb is like a symbol of the old territory days of the 1970s and 1980s, particularly many of the promotions based in the Deep South.

Imagine him leading a face stable of wrestlers who take an old-school approach to their work. Heck, even Punk would be a good fit with Zeb in that context.

Imagine him leading a face stable of wrestlers who take an old-school approach to their work. Heck, even Punk would be a good fit with Zeb in that context.

... and D Bryan!
Make it full of the indie guys, who like to wrestle more than play silly skits.

... and D Bryan!
Make it full of the indie guys, who like to wrestle more than play silly skits.

You just read my mind! Even Del Rio would be a good fit for that stable, as his wrestling style is very old school when you get down to it.

You just read my mind! Even Del Rio would be a good fit for that stable, as his wrestling style is very old school when you get down to it.

Let's not forget some Regal.
Any reason to get him back on tv the better!

Him and Cole are like a couple of teen girls w3atchign a boyband, just nauseating.

Sometimes I like Cole, most of the time I don't like Lawler...but all the time I love JBL. He went from a Wrestling God to a Commentating God.

Sadly its also why Vince keeps him around. Lawler is commentating in exactly the way Vince wants. He loves it even while he openly resents Jerrys old partner Jim Ross, his style, and how much the fans love him. I know the fans love Lawler (I do too) but I'd almost want him to go more heelish in his announcing the way he did during the New Generation. We don't need the puppys and crassness of the Attitude Era but during the New Generation era programming Lawlers wit and observations were as sharp as a tack. He really knew how to get faces and heels over.

I would love to see heel Lawler return. Him being behind Triple H and Rock when they were heels were some of The King's best stuff, imo.

Right now JBL is the best color comm guy in WWE by far. He doesn't sound nearly as stale and predictably childish as Lawler. The King and Cole are often an annoyance to the matches more than a benefit.

Agreed with all of this.

This is totally unnecessary, although Santino, Brodus Clay or Hornswoggle will likely take this role:

I don't know, I kinda see this idea of a GM for Saturday Morning Slam being created solely for Zack Ryder.

I thought the same thing. Either way Saturday Morning Slam should be Ryder's show even if he's only a top wrestler there. It could be a place where he can be one of the top stars if they won't give him a chance on Raw and Smackdown. SMS's style suits Zacks character. He fits well on there.

So just finished Raw...

Great match! Cena learned a few new moves and Punk with a Pile Driver and countering Cena's moves.

Man, I had a smile on my face throughout the match even though the end result wasn't what I wanted.

Yup. Its work like that that makes one happy to be a fan. If the rest of Raw could even be half as good it wouldn't feel like such a chore to watch.

Originally Posted by Lobo
Punk has had two amazing Raw matches this year. The one with Jericho that the fans voted for and the classic with Cena last night. Punk is probably in my all time top 10 favorites already.

icon14.gif
As far as I'm concerned Punk is one of the best workers of this era of wrestling. I mean beyond WWE as well. He's certainly one of the best of his generation. He's got little bits of similarities to many of the greats but he does it all his own way.

Originally Posted by bullets
Ziggler is bound to cash in , but for some reason they like to give rising stars a losing streak and curb their momentum. WWE is lucky there is no WCW. The only reason we don't see more people jump ship to TNA is because of the money.

Its probably one of McMahon's infamously stupid, petty little "tests."
Tear him down then suddenly build him up then tear him down again to see how he responds. Break his spirit and make him easly controllable and if need be disposable. Its an almost cultish atmosphere in WWE mentally speaking. Its no surprise so many people seem to be relieved when they leave or get released.

Younger talents and rising stars SHOULD be tested but not in the stupid bizarro world mind game way WWE and Vince McMahon like to do it. Their way can damage a wrestlers image and credibility with the audience before they even get a chance to show what they have.

A few people have had enough and jumped to TNA. Some went back to WWE but some stayed. I can't really blame either side. The money in the E is far better but the opportunities in TNA seem to be more fairly put out there to be earned.

For example Aries didn't get jerked around nearly as badly as Bryan has been.

I think last night was designed to get Cena more over with the naysayers about his ability to wrestle. It reminded me of last year when Rock had to scribble on his arm so Cena would have some fuel to his fire. Not a bad idea heading into Wrestlemania. Punk really is a rebel though and maybe some of that is rubbing off onto Cena.

You're probably right. But the die hard Cena haters will still say he can't wrestle. :whatever:

Punk and Cena are two of the few guys who can defy Vince McMahon or break the rules and get away with it. I'm not really surprised they did what they did and for the betterment of the product I can't really blame them. Anyone who is skilled enough to handle certain things should be allowed to do them. That goes for everyone though not just the top stars. Everyone should have a fair chance to show what they can do. They are all getting paid to entertain. Allow them all to do that, WWE.

It really is the best match going today. How anyone would give that one a low rating is beyond me. Vince must be tired of these two wrestling because it goes against his agenda and proves him wrong. It's interesting because you can usually point to two people who define an era in WWE , whether it be Bret/Shawn or Rock/Austin. They wanted to force Orton/Cena ,but of course this blows it completely out of the water and can't be denied.

Once again you are probably right. The greatness of the Punk vs Cena rivalry doesn't fit the narrative Vince is trying to create. Primarily because Punk isn't one of his guys, or what he prefers in a star, or a WWE creation. Can't let him get too over by praising him too much right, Vinne? :doh:

That might be a good way to get Undertaker in a match with a Daniel Bryan or Dolph Ziggler. You could have him appear at SS one last time , but I don't think he would retire there. If Undertaker loses the streak it has to be the end of his career. It would be the proper sendoff. I really want for it to be Punk , but something tells me Undertaker wouldn't miss WM 30.

I agree. As far as WM30...maybe Taker has tried to hang on as long as he can to make it there? Its going to be a big WWE milestone. Going out on a special show like that would make his retirement even more special.

Like others have said anybody could be in Swaggers role. He's a body. Mantel/Colter brings the interesting part of in this gimmick.

If WWE keeps on giving Beck attention they are fools. Its just Vince being petty. I enjoy seeing Becks stupidity being made fun of but he needs WWE and the attention HE gets from all this more than WWE needs Beck. WWE is still very sucessful and popular. Becks sucess has peaked and he may never be as popular as he once was again.

By giving him, his name, and his opinions airtime WWE is just giving Beck press I'm sure he enjoys and can twist around to get people to watch/listen to his shows.

This is all now a waste of time. WWE's looking desperate for any mainstream attention they can get.

Originally Posted by TheFuture
The thing is, the idea does have potential, but everyone involved bar Zeb (that includes creative) are fluffing it.

I really thought it was horrible watching Zeb walk all over Del Rio last night. I mean whoever's idea it was to let Zeb say all that relatively without response from Del Rio must have got a hook up from Swagger.

Honestly...even though what Colter is saying is one sided, close minded, and somewhat offensive...and he's supposed to be the heel in this...I find Mantel/Colter so talented a wordsmith/character worker/mind for the business that he's far more entertaining to me than Del Rio.

Del Rio's in a bad spot in this. He's the face but he's not talented enough on the mic to make the strong babyface responses he needs to to make his side and the whole feud REALLY work the way it should. Mantel chews him up on the stick. Thats the advantage more years and broader experience will bring.

I don't think Del Rio could have delivered a stronger repsonse even if he wanted to. He didn't have the right material or strong enough comebacks of his own creation. Maybe if creative had given him better material and WWE had playing it out so he looked stronger...but I still think he would come up short and Mantel would be better.

Originally Posted by E-Man
It's hard for me to say if Punk will be a legend once he has retired. He's got the skill to pull it off, but I'm worried about the state of wrestling that may hinder him big time. That's based on how they took his "shoot" promo just to have him lose to Triple H, or when they tried to make his character more of a fan friendly face instead of letting him be a Stone Cold like face, or just the general feeling I get that everything in the WWE eventually revolves back to Cena rising above the odds and winning yet again. His entire title run for over a year seems like just a set up for Cena regaining the title at Wrestlemania instead of being a big moment in wrestling history. I hope they give let him shine, but my wrestling cynicism keeps telling me that Punk is going to be an exhibit of how wrestling has really declined since Vince got complacent and even more ego driven to tell us what we want.

I see what you're saying. You have a point. I don't think anyone can fault Punks talent or his own work but the current WWE creative environment he's operating in and the product they are putting out is so mediocre that he's not getting the strongest platform to showcase what he can do.

The fanbase can be kind of "meh" because its so used to WWE's so so programming right now. The booking is often crap. The stars and storylines are being held back because of so many restrictions. Most of Punks co-workers aren't being built up strong enough so there aren't enough top level talents for him to create classic matches and moments with.

He's not getting the creative freedom to perform at his highest level unlike stars of past generations. They weren't nearly as handcuffed creatively or told what they had to say or couldn't say or what they could and could not do in the ring. If Punk had come along in an earlier era with better support and a more creatively superior WWE world stage to perform on he would have had a better shot at carving a high place for himself among the all time greats.

Originally Posted by Pink Ranger
When this Swagger thing has run its course, I'd like to see Zeb stick around as an onscreen character. Not necessarily as the anti-immigrant racist, but in a similar capacity to Paul Heyman: a manager who reflects a certain approach to wrestling from its past.

While Paul is very much a symbol of the East Coast wrestling scene and the extremities of the 1990s and early 2000s, Zeb is like a symbol of the old territory days of the 1970s and 1980s, particularly many of the promotions based in the Deep South.

Agree with all this. Especially the bold part. Great insight. Great post.
icon14.gif

Last edited:
A wrestling legend is measured by the respect he gets from wrestling fans and peers as well as big moments and accomplishments. You look at Punks body of work and he definitely has a case. Curt Hennig, Rick Rude, Jake Roberts and countless others are considered legends despite being midcard/upper midcard Jericho is a main event jobber of sorts yet he's still a legend. He's been booked just as badly as Punk during his career.

i know its the whole crux of armchair booking but the fact that the majority of people can see that wwe is misisng a superb product by just a few simple mistakes is astounding.

just simple heel/face turns, pair people together to build the tag titles and work on building a certain level of midcarders.

Last edited:
- John Cena took the top spot in this week's ESPN Power Rankings. CM Punk, Triple H, Brock Lesnar and Ryback followed. ESPN noted Triple H's "awkwardly wet" pants and gave props to the Punk - Cena match.

ESPN's article questioned Jack Swagger's continued push following his arrest last week, writing, "So does WWE have a wellness policy or not? How can Swagger get arrested for DUI and possession of marijuana last week and not only avoid suspension, but star in multiple segments on Raw? Weed the People."

http://www.pwpix.net/pwpixnews/headlines/363919197.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"