This Could Be The End Of Jack Thompson

JohnRico

Civilian
Reaction score
Embattled anti-game attorney Jack Thompson, already awaiting a referee’s decision regarding his possible disbarment, got an additional spanking from the Florida Supreme Court on Tuesday.

A docket entry posted by the Court, and forwarded to GamePolitics by Thompson himself, reveals that the controversial attorney has been hit with a show cause order for allegedly “abusing the legal system:”

02/19/2008 ORDER-SHOW CAUSE TO: JOHN BRUCE THOMPSON It appears to the Court that you have abused the legal system by submitting numerous frivolous and inappropriate filings in this Court.

Therefore, it is ordered that you shall show cause on or before March 5, 2008, why this Court should not find that you have abused the legal system process and impose upon you a sanction for abusing the legal system, including, but not limited to directing the Clerk of this Court to reject for filing any future pleadings, petitions, motions, letters, documents, or other filings submitted to this Court by you unless signed by a member of The Florida Bar other than yourself.

GP: I’ve not yet seen the complete text of the Florida Supreme Court’s order so I am unable to fully address what behavior on Thompson’s part may have provoked the show cause ruling. A request to Thompson to explain the situation went unanswered, as did a request for a copy of the full show cause ruling.

As he typically does, Thompson has tried to bluster his way through this latest setback, writing in an e-mail:

This is the single greatest gift that any court has ever given me in my 31 years of practicing law. I shall now, through a new federal lawsuit, deconstruct The Florida Bar…

Thank you, Supremes! You have given me the weapons I need.

Commenting on the show cause order, Florida attorney Norm Kent, a longtime legal adversary of Thompson’s, told GamePolitics:

This is game, set, match for Mr. Thompson. The Supreme Court gave him a warning last April. Now he is going to be barred from even arguing or pleading his own case. And once the Supreme Court does this, other jurisdictions will follow suit. Looks like his only venue will be Fox News and gaming site blogs…

Meanwhile, Thompson has forwarded a response to the Florida Supreme Court. Again, more of the bluster (why does he see this as a winning tactic?):

This court’s panicked threat against Thompson… has wonderfully proven not just that Thompson has no “adequate state remedy” but that he has no state remedy at all. This court threatens Thompson if he even files this pleading.

This is a brazen attempt by this court to repeal the absolute right of every citizen, under the First Amendment, to “petition the government for a redress” of grievances…

The [Florida] Bar threatens a whistleblower with retribution because he dares to keep blowing the whistle? This court has threatened Thompson. He does not threaten back. He hereby informs this court that he will see it in federal court. This court has just thrown Brer Rabbit into the briar patch.

http://gamepolitics.com/2008/02/21/florida-supreme-court-comes-down-hard-on-jack-thompson/

LOL he's gonna have his butt handed to him. It's about time, I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"