This is the worst console gen of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I have. I even posted the first one way back when in that Fable 2 hype thread I made. I defended Fable 2 to a bunch of people, I've followed it, the whole 9-yards. It's the same story as Fable 1, and by that I don't mean the narrative, I mean it's the same situation. They're selling Fable 2 the same way they did with Fable 1. I'd love to be proven wrong, I don't want another mediocre game, but there's no indication that they're going to change things up. This is a sequel to a well reviewed, multi-million seller, I really doubt they're going to make tons of sweeping changes.

I haven't seen any indication that it is the exact same situation. Yes, more than likely some of the points of the story will be similar considering it is a sequel, and that's the usual route that sequels follow. Somehow, though, I doubt that everything will be the same. Just because it is a similar situation doesn't mean that it'll follow the same tune.

And actually, Fable 1 was sold as a game with non-stop innovation that will have everything and a bag of chips. Well, at least, that is what Molyneux said when it was in development. It turned out to be different, but it was still a good game. However, I believe they've at least partially changed their act considering Molyneux has stopped blabbing his mouth about features not even past the idea stage yet this time.

I don't expect sweeping changes at every corner. There's very few sequels that actually make that sort of transition. But, I do expect that they're going to at least make some changes where they are needed. The combat system is being overhauled, so I wouldn't be surprised that some other part of the game will be changed to fit Fable 2.

gfreeman, instead of just stating the same points over and over, what is your favortie gen and why? What made it so great?

gfreeman, instead of just stating the same points over and over, what is your favortie gen and why? What made it so great?
Probably last gen. Every console had a large number of absolutely fantastic games. Hyped "big" games were fun and worth the money 9 times out of 10. Nobody was focusing on ridiculous controller gimmicks instead of just trying to make a fun game. Single-player experiences were not yet being side-tracked by a focus on multi-player. New franchises that were actually worth a damn were coming around fairly often. Aside from the Xbox, developers still realized that there were more genres than FPS games. It was just a really gen. And this one is almost the polar opposite.

Yes, more than likely some of the points of the story will be similar considering it is a sequel, and that's the usual route that sequels follow.
Again, not talking about the narrative here. Replace "same story as" with "same situation as". Same thing.

I hated Fable. With what we were promised...it well...sucked. But goddamn, Molyneux knows how to sell a game because I am eager as hell for Fable 2 :csad:

I liked Fable. I didn't keep up with any Hype beforehand, so I don't know what was promised. It was just a fun, quick action RPG to me.

I think Gfreeman and co. are having one of their "moments". if anything last gen was dull and boring, you were lucky if any game worth the time of day came out, and those types of game were infrequent and far in-between. I can say there were tons of games that were worth shelling out $30 and up for. But this gen i didnt mind buying re4 and super mario galaxy for $85 bucks because they were totally worth every penny. On my DS i didnt mind buying sm64 ds, sonic rush, and eba because they were worth buying. What im trying to say is that this is the first gen where i dont my putting down my cash, because the games are amazing. I had a game cube, but i never played it as much as i do with my Wii...and as soon as i get some more batteries i'll finish playing mario. My ds has had more play time than my good 'ol game boy color ever did. So i cant see why people are complaining if anything we've got it good. Everyone's got something to play, whether you are more of a wiisports fan or a halo 3 fanatic there is a game out there for you.

Yay for the DS sold more that the ps2 did in japan, completely dominated europe and australia, and Wiifit and brawl are taking japan by storm. Go nintendo keep up the good work.:)

Doesn't matter if any of these things aren't satisfying you. The fact is the gaming industry hasn't been booming like this in a long long time.

Well, having not actually entered this gen just yet, there are a lot of games piling up that I want to play.

Probably last gen. Every console had a large number of absolutely fantastic games. Hyped "big" games were fun and worth the money 9 times out of 10. Nobody was focusing on ridiculous controller gimmicks instead of just trying to make a fun game. Single-player experiences were not yet being side-tracked by a focus on multi-player. New franchises that were actually worth a damn were coming around fairly often. Aside from the Xbox, developers still realized that there were more genres than FPS games. It was just a really gen. And this one is almost the polar opposite.

Again, not talking about the narrative here. Replace "same story as" with "same situation as". Same thing.

I get what you mean now, but still. I doubt that it's going to be the "same situation" as Fable. For me, that could be good. For you, I guess not. I loved the original Fable and thought it was a solid game. Molyneux has also shut his mouth this time around, so expectations aren't looking to be as high as before.

All in all, I don't see how it is the exact same situation.

Wait for the Japanese devs to get into gear....

Why are mods closing every thread?

Well, you guys lost the privledge of having a lounge thread for awhile because of your behavior in the last one. Thank Freeman for that. As for the rest, they just aren't needed. They are spam.

Well, you guys lost the privledge of having a lounge thread for awhile because of your behavior in the last one. Thank Freeman for that. As for the rest, they just aren't needed. They are spam.

Re-open the Gears of War thread when Gears of War 2 is shown towards the end of this month.

I don't know if I could really pick a "worst" gen because each of them truly have something different.

The evolution of stories, online console gaming, graphics...I think it's easier to judge which gen evolved the most/best rather than which one was the "worst."

And to address some other opinions in this thread, Fable was fantastic. Short, but fantastic. Plus it had pretty good replay value. You couldn't do "everything" you were promised, but it still delivered.

Isn't that mostly because sales on the consoles themselves are basically over? Just about everyone who wants a PS3, 360, or Wii now has one.

No, because the Wii hasn't met up demand, recent sales trends show that people have been waiting for the Playstation 3 to drop in price and actually get some games, and the Xbox 360 is still doing rather well in sales too.

Really? The PS3 just got a price drop, though.

Oh well, I can testify to that last one. I'm planning on getting a 360 Elite in another month or so, as soon as I save up some more money after my last big purchase.

Really? The PS3 just got a price drop, though.
Yeah, it's still impossible to find a Wii, which is blatantly telling us that Nintendo still hasn't met demand yet.

And the Playstation 3's sales have been much, much better now because of two price drops, and another one is rumored to be on the way. The system also has a better games library and is has a really hyped line-up for 2008.

Oh well, I can testify to that last one. I'm planning on getting a 360 Elite in another month or so, as soon as I save up some more money after my last big purchase.
Get a Wii dammit :cmad:

I'll probably get a Wii when Brawl comes out, but a Wii is like an afterthought. It's only, what, $200 now? That barely even requires any conscious planning to buy from anyone with a full-time job.

$250 and it should be gotten as soon as possible and prioritized over the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

Actually, I'd say the 360 would be a priority. It has better, and more, third party games/support. The Wii might be cheaper/have an interesting control scheme, but it's mainly just Mario/Zelda games. Which might be nice for the average Nintendo fan, but the library just isn't expansive enough if you've got the money to throw around.

Actually, I'd say the 360 would be a priority. It has better, and more, third party games/support. The Wii might be cheaper/have an interesting control scheme, but it's mainly just Mario/Zelda games. Which might be nice for the average Nintendo fan, but the library just isn't expansive enough if you've got the money to throw around.

Mario/Zelda/Star Fox/Metroid/Resident Evil >>> Everything Else (except Metal Gear)

That's blatantly obvious :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"