Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was Feige who mentioned that the destruction of the Bifrost, and the resulting effect on the nine realms, would be central in Thor 2. That leads me to believe that Thor will be dealing with some unruly baddie in another realm (like Malekith) instead of Enhantress.

http://t.co/n3xjlDie = Good to know, that Chris did his research on Walt Simonson's run) Concerning the villain, I'm sure that a LOT of you will be happy to find out his identity this summer)

Such a tease!

So since Feige says all the cast is coming back and that this will deal with Odin, I guess it's safe to say Anthony Hopkins is confirmed? We were never 100% sure.

I believe so. He was pretty clear that all of them are coming back.:word:

I think it was Feige who mentioned that the destruction of the Bifrost, and the resulting effect on the nine realms, would be central in Thor 2. That leads me to believe that Thor will be dealing with some unruly baddie in another realm (like Malekith) instead of Enhantress.

The Asgardians keep the other realms in check and I can definitely see how less access to said realms is going to be a problem. Add to that the fact that one of their greatest sorcerers went rogue and their greatest warrior is busy defending Earth. In the original script Malekith was imprisoned for attempting to overthrow his cousin Oona, the benevolent Queen of Faerie. Oona was on good terms with Asgard and presumably on neutral terms with mortals. It's clear that Malekith did not share those feelings and wished to restore Faerie to it's former glory...at any cost.

Chris Hemsworth has been discussing what'll be his third outing as Marvel's Mighty Avenger, Thor 2. Now chatting with Slash Film, Hemsworth sheds light on the new direction of Games Of Thrones helmer Alan Taylor.
"I have read a script and we start shooting in August. I met with Alan Taylor a couple of months ago and Natalie Portman and I and Alan and a couple of Marvel guys and it was hugely exciting. Ken [Branagh] did such a wonderful job and, with scheduling or what have you, he didn’t end up doing this one, but I’m a big fan of the GAME OF THRONES series, which is Alan’s latest work, and I think that is what’s exciting about the second one: making it sort of more tangible and having a more organic feel to Asgard and that world.

I think the science fiction element to THOR… the danger is it falls a little bit into the world of it’s “tough to throw a light to.” I think of big waterfalls and mountains and a Viking influence, where the Norse mythology kind of grew from. Having that in Asgard is going to make it all the more special and that’s what Alan wants to bring to it. I think that would be the new aspect to this one.

That's awesome to hear! More of Norse/Viking myth is a must to this franchise, imo. Thanks for posting it,Project862006!!

I agree, the more they can make use of the myths and the feel of the old Norse lands the better it will be. I didn't have any problems with what they had in the first film but it's certainly possible to improve upon.

Yeah, now that they've overcome the hardest part (the introduction of Thor and his universe), they can expand it and make it even more unique.

That leaves the likes of Amora, Lorelei and Hela out of the running, they are secondary villains anyway. The defining bad guys during Simonson's run (aside from Loki) were Malekith and Surtur :woot:. That pretty much guarantees that Malekith is the villain for Thor 2 which sets up Surtur as the focus of the last movie. Even though Enchantress and Scourge were not up to their usual mayhem in the comics I am willing to bet that they too will make an appearance.

I really would like to see Malekith as the villain in THOR II with Amora and Excutioner as secondary villains, I've never considered Hela as a "villain" she's more of a gray area character.

Hey, man. You wouldn't happen to be a King Crimson fan, would you?

Malekith to me is too much like Loki. Sounds more like they might be going straight to Surtur. Which would frankly be epic, so I hope so.

But whatever. I can't wait to find out!

The Surtur Saga has everything: the scope, the action on Asgard and earth, the awesome fight at the end where Odin, Loki and Thor stand together (a great follow-up to both the first Thor movie and Avengers). So, that could be it.

Last edited:
Malekith to me is too much like Loki. Sounds more like they might be going straight to Surtur. Which would frankly be epic, so I hope so.

The Surtur Saga has everything: the scope, the action on Asgard and earth, the awesome fight at the end where Odin, Loki and Thor stand together (a great follow-up to both the first Thor movie and Avengers). So, that could be it.
Do you think it would be a 2 parter considering how big in scope it is. Maybe introduce the Twilight Sword and his demons at first, then have Malekith come in and battle the Asgardians, 2nd half Midgard Serpent. All alluding to Surtur (there was one EPIC scan of this in Simonson's run). In Thor 3 they could really start with Muspelheim being unleashed and Surtur.

Hey, man. You wouldn't happen to be a King Crimson fan, would you?

I've only listened to a little bit of their stuff, honestly, but I liked it.

I decided I wanted a name change and quite a few of the Dark Tower characters were available. :)

I've only listened to a little bit of their stuff, honestly, but I liked it.

I decided I wanted a name change and quite a few of the Dark Tower characters were available. :)

It's cool anyway.:up: It's just that I'm a big fan of their most famous guitar player.

Do you think it would be a 2 parter considering how big in scope it is. Maybe introduce the Twilight Sword and his demons at first, then have Malekith come in and battle the Asgardians, 2nd half Midgard Serpent. All alluding to Surtur (there was one EPIC scan of this in Simonson's run). In Thor 3 they could really start with Muspelheim being unleashed and Surtur.

All very interesting possibilities. It would be very cool to see Surtur looming the background in #2 (a bit like he does early in the Simonson run), then finally coming to the foreground in #3.

That said, to me this idea that Bifrost being out of commission affects the nine worlds suggests that something big has been unleashed. Which fits Surtur more than Malekith, really. I could see them altering the Surtur backstory a bit so that he is imprisoned by Odin in an earlier age. Something of that nature.

Characters like Malekith, Enchantress and Skurge could still appear in the movie, though.

I don't think it would be all that difficult to flesh both villains out so that they stand apart from one another. Both can be charming but Loki is as trickster first and foremost in that he has a sense of humor. Malekith on the otherhand, is too bitter and arrogant to be much fun. Since the guy from GoT is directing I would use Varys and Littlefinger as examples of glib schemers with very distinct personalities.

I don't think it would be all that difficult to flesh both villains out so that they stand apart from one another. Both can be charming but Loki is as trickster first and foremost in that he has a sense of humor. Malekith on the otherhand, is too bitter and arrogant to be much fun. Since the guy from GoT is directing I would use Varys and Littlefinger as examples of glib schemers with very distinct personalities.

Good points, it could be done, I don't disagree with you there. I just think that, in the world of blockbuster movies, where you only really get a few shots at portraying the most important aspects of a character and his world, you need to go for something that is strikingly different each time.

It's the same reason you go Joker/Bane and not Joker/Riddler. Different archetype. Not that it would be impossible to do something cool with Riddler/Malekith, but it's more like a variation on a theme.

To me Loki-Surtur-Hela gives you three archetypes for three movies. You could still have other characters involved, though. But you never know, maybe they have something awesome in mind for Malekith and I am completely wrong :woot:

Good points, it could be done, I don't disagree with you there. I just think that, in the world of blockbuster movies, where you only really get a few shots at portraying the most important aspects of a character and his world, you need to go for something that is strikingly different each time.

It's the same reason you go Joker/Bane and not Joker/Riddler. Different archetype. Not that it would be impossible to do something cool with Riddler/Malekith, but it's more like a variation on a theme.

To me Loki-Surtur-Hela gives you three archetypes for three movies. You could still have other characters involved, though. But you never know, maybe they have something awesome in mind for Malekith and I am completely wrong :woot:

You make some really good points here.

Last edited:
Ah, between BigThor's and Odinson's avatars being so close to one another I think I'm having a seizure whenever I look at them.

You make some really good points here.

Yeah he really does, but I do want to Surtur to be saved for THOR III so perhaps Skurge & Amora can still be in cahoots with the unamed main villain.

RIM said the villain is a "him" so that rules out having Hela as the main villain, so I really can't see it being anyone other than Malekith and Surtur right now.

, I never shipped Sif/Thor in the movie , but purely because they were friends and what not, I did wonder if they would go down that way. They just didn't really seem to have much chemistry at all, not like Sif jamie and Loki tom !

Anyone know if Jaimie will be in The Avengers?
I hope we get some nice Loki/Sif scenes in the Thor sequels. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that they have decided it'll be interesting to explore the hinted relationship of Sif/Loki from the Norse mythology. I know it's not in the comic books, but then, they're such different medias, comic books and films, I know the films simply won't be able to follow the comic books properly.

All the cast is coming back, according to an interview posted yesterday.

Which one of these looks do you guys want Surtur to have whenever he makes his appearance?

thumbnail.aspx

m220370087.jpg

thor-god-of-thunder-20110404072641634_640w.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I love the classic design from the second pic, so it gets my vote!

^ Go look again I've rearranged them, so which pic do you like best again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"