Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mh, I have to say I really liked Josh Dallas as Fandral. Not sure what to think of the new guy... Right now, I still prefer Dallas, cause he was perfect to me.

You should be able to find Chuck Eps. online. It's really good. I recommend checking it out.. Plus it has the (HOPEFULLY) future Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel in Yvonne Strahovski as well.

Interesting speculation about Surtur...I hope he is in the background and saved for Thor 3 for a full Asgardian siege. As for Surturs age:

thorvssurtur06.jpg

So Thor mentions he is the oldest of all that live. I hope we have a Twillight of the Gods build up in this movie and then the full Ragnarok in Thor 3.. :woot:

Interesting speculation about Surtur...I hope he is in the background and saved for Thor 3 for a full Asgardian siege. As for Surturs age:

<scans deleted>

So Thor mentions he is the oldest of all that live. I hope we have a Twillight of the Gods build up in this movie and then the full Ragnarok in Thor 3.. :woot:

Thanks for the info on Surtur's age.

I agree with you that it would work better to have Surtur in Thor 3. There's already a lot going on in Thor 2.

So you would have Surtur and the Ragnarok in Thor 3--would that be a lot for one movie?

I also didn't know this guy. I have heard of chuch though. Never saw it. I have seen him on various Internet shows oddly enough. At first glance of those pics he didn't catch my eye. I thought he was just a cosplayer. If they were to recast a warrior's three character I would pick brendan gleeson as volstagg.

Seems we won't be getting much info/pics from the Iceland shoot. It's said that there's "heavy security" for the scenes being filmed that involve the actors. Some areas are apparently just second unit stuff. Here's a recent pic from the crew, nothing exciting. I'm sure this'll look great on-screen

tumblr_mby89fWVrh1rf30pjo1_1280.jpg

I could never accept that. I love the Mythology to much.

All I am saying is that they would have to come up with a bad place of an explanation for why in Thor 1 Thor is "First born" and then in Thor 2 this guy shows up. :huh: I just find it hard to accept that Odin would not know he has an older son, perhaps he was completely disowned, and so Odin no longer calling him his "first born" but I feel like that's really a bit of a stretch. Although Odin did seem rather choked up up when he delivers that line "My first born"... hm.

Interestingly the actor is only 8 years younger than Anthony. Not that it matters that much in the context of these films, where the characters live so long, just pointing it out...

Anywho, still feel like another troublesome brother for Thor is a bit overkill for the films at this point. JMO :dry:

tumblr_mbw1v9GKVR1qeuzrdo1_1280.jpg

All in good jest, it looks like Tom and Zach were having a contest to see who could wear the goofiest looking casual wear in these images. :D But seriously if Tom had a Fandral beard I'd have a hard time telling the two apart. >_<

all this whine and no cheese? for shame

Cheese! For Everybody!

All I am saying is that they would have to come up with a bad place of an explanation for why in Thor 1 Thor is "First born" and then in Thor 2 this guy shows up. :huh: I just find it hard to accept that Odin would not know he has an older son, perhaps he was completely disowned, and so Odin no longer calling him his "first born" but I feel like that's really a bit of a stretch. Although Odin did seem rather choked up up when he delivers that line "My first born"... hm.

How about Tyr being the son of Frigga by another father who's not Odin? It wouldn't shock me that if given that origin that Odin would adopt him as his own. He did after all adopt Loki, the son of a bitter enemy.

Last edited:
Oh that is just too perfect!! Now I see why they chose Iceland to film Loki's scenes.

Tyr being Odin's brother (Thor's uncle) or nephew (Thor's cousin) would be fine by me.

I could never accept that. I love the Mythology to much.

So you would prefer that Tyr turn out to be Hymir's and (I think) Hrothr's son? Or do you mean you would rather he still be Odin's son? (different myths say different things about him)

All I am saying is that they would have to come up with a bad place of an explanation for why in Thor 1 Thor is "First born" and then in Thor 2 this guy shows up. :huh: I just find it hard to accept that Odin would not know he has an older son, perhaps he was completely disowned, and so Odin no longer calling him his "first born" but I feel like that's really a bit of a stretch.

I agree, they have to give the context for how he fits in with the rest of the Asgardians.

Now, it could be that he actually is younger and just has not aged well. (hard living and all that) But I admit that's a bit of a stretch, especially when you have great liberty in casting.

Your scenario about Odin completely disowning him is certainly possible, but I agree, it strikes me as a stretch. He and Frigga sincerely embraced their adopted son, born of frost giants, as their own. And while Loki will be punished in T:TDW, he's not going to be completely cast out, with no one to speak of him ever again, which is how Tyr's exile would have had to have been in order for him to have been absent in Thor1.

How about Tyr being the son of Frigga by another father who's not Odin? It wouldn't shock me that if given that origin that Odin would adopt him as his own. He did after all adopt Loki, the son of a bitter enemy.

I like that idea, too, though it's not quite aligned with the books or the mythology.

Although Odin did seem rather choked up up when he delivers that line "My first born"... hm.

I can see that interpretation. I can also see it as a "it just seems like yesterday when he was born, and now look at him!" moment

Anywho, still feel like another troublesome brother for Thor is a bit overkill for the films at this point. JMO :dry:

Agreed.

Last edited:
I always interpreted Odins demeanor when calling Thor his firstborn and teary eyed as that he was disappointed in who Thor was as far as his arrogance and childish behavior.

You should be able to find Chuck Eps. online. It's really good. I recommend checking it out.. Plus it has the (HOPEFULLY) future Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel in Yvonne Strahovski as well.
Yeah Sif, Chuck was great, Grimm took it's spot where I'm at. You'd love the show I'm sure. In many ways it has the same type of humor and drama balance that Marvel films do.

I always interpreted Odins demeanor when calling Thor his firstborn and teary eyed as that he was disappointed in who Thor was as far as his arrogance and childish behavior.

Actually he says that when he is about to give over the throne of Asgard so my impression would be (without Tyr involved) that this is a very emotional day for Odin most of all, giving up the throne (permanently, I am guessing due to the fanfare, not just due to Odinsleep), and maybe there is a degree of pride in thinking his son is ready now, and now he can get some much deserved rest. Thor has not quite shown how arrogant he can be at that point in the film, Odin says later he is a fool for thinking he was ready. The big question is, if Thor has now proven himself, then what is stopping Odin from giving over Asgard to him now??? My impression from Thor 1 is that Odin is growing more and more weak with age, and I'm not sure just a good Odinsleep is what is going to cure it. I've also wondered if Odin perhaps has forseen his own death, and was trying to get the new king in, and things going smoothly and as planned before that happened.

I agree, they have to give the context for how he fits in with the rest of the Asgardians.

Now, it could be that he actually is younger and just has not aged well. (hard living and all that) But I admit that's a bit of a stretch, especially when you have great liberty in casting.

Your scenario about Odin completely disowning him is certainly possible, but I agree, it strikes me as a stretch. He and Frigga sincerely embraced their adopted son, born of frost giants, as their own. And while Loki will be punished in T:TDW, he's not going to be completely cast out, with no one to speak of him ever again, which is how Tyr's exile would have had to have been in order for him to have been absent in Thor1.

I think the idea of him being disowned is more plausible than the explanation that he is Frigga's. The idea that he just hasn't aged well intrigues me, he could have been banished somewhere without powers, like Thor on Earth, and then just aged normally, I suppose, but then that's too much of a parallel with Thor. Again bit of a stretch I feel like, and a lot of stuff to get in there and explain, when it seems there is so much else to do. I actually really like the idea that he may be Odin's brother, who has perhaps betrayed him in past, and now trying to take control of Asgard, this would sort of parallel the Thor-Loki story. Remember again Laufey saying "the house of Odin is full of traitors" not just one but FULL of them. That's a bit of a loose thread that should be picked up and explained whether Tyr be a brother of Odin or Thor. Either way it would make sense for the character to strike when he believes that Odin is weak now and maybe about to die.

Yeah and Josh Dallas had all of what, two lines?
Never really got any idead of how he was playing fandral from so little screen time...
Not much in the Deleated scene either. Josh had one great thing going for him and that he looks spot on for Errol Flynn and that was who Fandral's modeled after.
I'm saying Give Zach a chance even if the beard is a tad painted :D

Tyr, Odin, Thor and Loki meeting in the throne room on Asgard.

Odin: No Tyr, I am afraid you cannot be king. Thor shall be king.

Tyr: but I was your first born! Look at me, I am clearly older than blondie over there!

Thor: wait? What? You said I was firstborn! In front of everybody at the coronation!

Loki: tsst! yeah really, who the bad place is this guy?

Odin: *sighs* Tyr is my firstborn son but he betrayed me and so I cast him out and completely disowned him.

Tyr smiles and nods in agreement at the brothers. Thor and Loki stand in stunned silence for a moment.

Loki: (dripping with sarcasm) Yes, well A + parenting on your part, once again Father!

Odin: AAAAARGH! (this silences Loki) You shut up or I'll have someone sew your lips shut!

edit: just thought of something else, that bit when they are children and Odin says "you were both born to be kings" would seem very VERY out of place if Odin has an older son who he may still have hope of redemption for so he could be king down the road. And I still feel like the All Father would know if he had another son, it wouldnt be a surprise. (a sort of soap opera inspired cheesy surprise at that.)

Last edited:
^ seems to much of like....a backyard film recreation lol

^ seems to much of like....a backyard film recreation lol

LOL... yes well, just a bit of silliness quickly thrown together in the moment. :cwink:

*twiddles thumbs waiting for any new news or pictures of THor 2 from Iceland* *SIGH...* Can't believe the release of this film is over a year away. :csad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"