Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will be very cool to have Odin interacting with his ravens. I wonder if they will only report on the events of The Avengers or will they report on other realms in the course of the film.
I'm betting that the two Ravens in Avengers when Thor first took Loki from the Quinjet and landed on the mountain, was Odin watching.

We discussed this quote from Hemsworth a bit when it first appeared. This post places a slightly different emphasis, which I found interesting.

Link: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Chri...ng-Emotional-Truth-Thor-Dark-World-33420.html

The Hemsworth quote: The post's emphasis: And the title of the piece is "Chris Hemsworth Talks about Maintaining Emotional Truth in Thor: The Dark World."

If they do that, I feel that certainly will add to the richness of the film. Looking forward to it.

Certainly! :)

I think it will be very cool to have Odin interacting with his ravens. I wonder if they will only report on the events of The Avengers or will they report on other realms in the course of the film.

I'm betting that the two Ravens in Avengers when Thor first took Loki from the Quinjet and landed on the mountain, was Odin watching.

Yup. I think that's been suspected all along that those were Odin's ravens, right? So likely they will be used primarily to relay information about that while Loki's punishment is decided.

MAN We need some Dark World posters already. What gives? Iron Man 3 has at least one out.

A gallery with some images from Bourne Woods that I don't think we've seen here before...
http://www.caughtonset.com/filming-begins-set-thor-dark-world/

one of the men pictured in that gallery looks *similar* to Volstagg (possibly stunt double practicing?) in another image that guy appears to be getting stabbed in the back while stuntwoman for Sif looks on??? :( The guy attacking him also has a line on his back indicating that he may get pulled back quickly as a stunt (maybe due to an attack from Sif?)

Edit: Yup. I'm pretty sure that's Volstagg getting attacked in those pictures there, he's just not fully in costume (probably practicing the scene) See this picture of Volstagg in full costume, note spiral sleeve design is the same as on that guy, (on this picture look at sleeve between shoulder plate and forearm vambrace).

thor-the-dark-world-11.jpeg

Last edited:
@Elizah--no, I don't think we've seen those before. Thanks for sharing them. There's even more going on there at Bourne Woods than we realized!

I'm hoping Loki takes on a Hannibal Lecter-type role in this one: important to the advancement of the plot, but not front and center. I'm really interested to see Malekith and Kurse step up as the main baddies.

You know, I've never really read the Thor comics and many comic readers have been stating that Malekith and Kurse aren't as high profile as other Thor villains. I'm guessing that this movie will beef these characters up an awful lot.

You know, I've never really read the Thor comics and many comic readers have been stating that Malekith and Kurse aren't as high profile as other Thor villains. I'm guessing that this movie will beef these characters up an awful lot.

well kurse is this super uber hulk who just pounds the piss out of thor, until he remembers what malekith did

Malekith and Kurse are C-list Thor villains at best. Not talking about their power set here; just their popularity/importance to the mythos. Their only real claim to fame is acting as, more or less, heralds to a much more powerful and iconic Thor villain, Surtur, in one of the perennial fan favorite story arcs (the Twilight Sword saga). That's why a lot of us speculate that Thor 2 is little more than a setup for Surtur as the Big Bad in Thor 3.

Malekith and Kurse are C-list Thor villains at best. Not talking about their power set here; just their popularity/importance to the mythos. Their only real claim to fame is acting as, more or less, heralds to a much more powerful and iconic Thor villain, Surtur, in one of the perennial fan favorite story arcs (the Twilight Sword saga).

So who would everyone say are the A-list villains? (Just curious). I assume Surtur is one of them . . .

Thx.

So who would everyone say are the A-list villains? (Just curious). I assume Surtur is one of them . . .

Thx.

I'm thinking we can also include the likes of:

1. Loki
2. Enchantress
3. Executioner

And maybe the...

4. Midgard serpent?

Thx.

Thor villains who've had over 50 appearances in Marvel Comics (Malekith had 28, Kurse/Algrim had 25):

Loki (483)
Mephisto (274)
Enchantress & Skurge the Executioner (226)
Absorbing Man (170)
Hela (151)
Mister Hyde (136)
Radioactive Man (136)
Karnilla (121)
Wrecking Crew (96)
Titania (92; usually with Absorbing Man)
Grey Gargoyle (86)
Ulik/Tanarus (81)
Surtur (73)
Destroyer Armor (68)
Ego the Living Planet (58)

That's exactly what I thought.

Thor villains who've had over 50 appearances in Marvel Comics (Malekith had 28, Kurse/Algrim had 25):

Loki (483)
Mephisto (274)
Absorbing Man (170)
Hela (151)
Mister Hyde (136)
Radioactive Man (136)
Karnilla (121)
Wrecking Crew (96)
Grey Gargoyle (86)
Ulik/Tanarus (81)
Surtur (73)
Destroyer Armor (68)

To me an "A" list character has more to do with their popularity instead of number of appearances. However, I would agree that the number of appearances may play a roll in a characters popularity (it's almost like they are advertising the character) as well as their popularity might effect the amount of times they use that character in the comics. So, I definitely can see a connection between the two, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that the number of apperances is the only factor that plays a roll in a characters popularity or that a characters popularity is a guarantee of the amount of times they use that character in the comics.

For example (using your numbers), I would say Surtur with 73 appearances is considerably more popular then Mister Hyde with 136 appearances. In addition I would say that I agree with herolee10 in that my list would only consist of about 3 "A" list villians. I would say most of the villians on your list I would constitute as "B" list villians, perhaps even a few I might consider "C" list, but I digress because to some degree this is a personal thing, so to each their own.

Surfer

I would say that I agree with herolee10 in that my list would only consist of about 3 "A" list villians.

So who's on your short list?

To all: I am especially interested in CherokeeSam's comment about importance to the mythos (by which I assume is meant the mythos of the comic books). Which ones are important to the mythos and why? And if there is a villain whom you'd consider B- (or C-) list yet is important to the mythos, that would certainly make for interesting discussion, too.

If Thor faces the big bads too often it deminishes their impact. I could care less how many times they've appeared in his title. It's how excited you get when they do and how much draw they have when they appear. basing the A list on a number of appearences would be l9ike calling a soap star who appears on TV 5 times a week year round an A-lister while a movie star who only made 1(mega blockbuster) film this year is a b lister.

Thor's mainstay a list villians would be Loki, Enchantress and Hela with the Big bads who are seen less but have a huge impact every time being Destroyer, Surtur and Mephisto. Beyond that every one has their favs and reacts differently to different characters.

img0454hm.jpg

Bill rocks! :D

okay where's the friggin' posters already!?

okay where's the friggin' posters already!?
I guess we'll get the first teaser poster in January or early February. Probably around the same time we'll get the new poster for IM3 and Cap 2 starts filming

I had no idea Mephisto was in so many Thor comics. Shows how little I've read, I guess.

I just read the Thor Omnibus this year. Kind of behind.

Loki (483)
Mephisto (274)
Absorbing Man (170)
Hela (151)
Mister Hyde (136)
Radioactive Man (136)
Karnilla (121)
Wrecking Crew (96)
Grey Gargoyle (86)
Ulik/Tanarus (81)
Surtur (73)
Destroyer Armor (68)

-sigh- These villains a woefully underused in the modern era. Along with Cobra I think they've been flogged to other heroes. :(

To me an "A" list character has more to do with their popularity instead of number of appearances. However, I would agree that the number of appearances may play a roll in a characters popularity (it's almost like they are advertising the character) as well as their popularity might effect the amount of times they use that character in the comics. So, I definitely can see a connection between the two, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that the number of apperances is the only factor that plays a roll in a characters popularity or that a characters popularity is a guarantee of the amount of times they use that character in the comics.

For example (using your numbers), I would say Surtur with 73 appearances is considerably more popular then Mister Hyde with 136 appearances. In addition I would say that I agree with herolee10 in that my list would only consist of about 3 "A" list villians. I would say most of the villians on your list I would constitute as "B" list villians, perhaps even a few I might consider "C" list, but I digress because to some degree this is a personal thing, so to each their own.

Surfer

Not B-listers or C-listers at all; that list just represents how the title (and Marvel Comics in general) changed from the Silver Age to the modern age. Us old-timers are *very* familiar with the "terrestrial" enemies of Thor (e.g., Radioactive Man, Mister Hyde, Absorbing Man, Grey Gargoyle, Wrecking Crew), but the title started moving more towards Asgard and high fantasy instead of pure superhero genre in the late 80s and onwards, so you younger generations are virtually unaware of that era and how many times Thor clashed with those villains.

This has always been the dilemma of Thor, and remains so for Marvel Studios in the MCU: should Thor be portrayed more as a god of remote Asgard (high fantasy), or as a superhero defending Earth from supervillains?

This has always been the dilemma of Thor, and remains so for Marvel Studios in the MCU: should Thor be portrayed more as a god of remote Asgard (high fantasy), or as a superhero defending Earth from supervillains?

I think that's a very astute observation.

I guess we'll get the first teaser poster in January or early February. Probably around the same time we'll get the new poster for IM3 and Cap 2 starts filming

nah i think its way too early for posters...most posters come with a teaser like IM3 so expect it by early March 2013 or with IM3 release...

Not B-listers or C-listers at all; that list just represents how the title (and Marvel Comics in general) changed from the Silver Age to the modern age. Us old-timers are *very* familiar with the "terrestrial" enemies of Thor (e.g., Radioactive Man, Mister Hyde, Absorbing Man, Grey Gargoyle, Wrecking Crew), but the title started moving more towards Asgard and high fantasy instead of pure superhero genre in the late 80s and onwards, so you younger generations are virtually unaware of that era and how many times Thor clashed with those villains.

cherokeesam, I am not a young kid. I am in my 40's and I do remember Thor battling many of the characters you have listed on multiple occassions, but to me that still does not necessarilly translate to the popularity of the character or what I would define as the reason for a character being considered an "A" list, "B" list or "C" list character. However, I think this topic is somewhat subjective so I am in no way saying you are wrong, only that my interpretation of it is different then yours.

Surfer

This is the Internet. You're supposed to call him a moron, accuse him of being adopted, and then say how wrong his opinion is.

Do I have to write these posts myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"