Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by Thread Manager, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

If its just a hand full of hippy pagan types no one will care. The only way religious people would be upset if they made it seem like normal every day people abandoned there faith a started worshiping Thor.

That reminds me the Captain America line in The Avengers sure went over well with the Religious crowd. :funny:

Natasha Romanoff: I'd sit this one out, Cap.
    Steve Rogers: I don't see how I can.
    Natasha Romanoff: These guys come from legend, Captain. They're basically gods.
    Steve Rogers: There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like *that.*

(Thunderous Applause, Cheers, and Whistles)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

That's my thinking, too.
    In this age of religious syncretism, it's absolutely inevitable that somebody is going to start worshipping Thor as a god again. Still amazes me that the comic book hasn't addressed this possibility after 50+ years.

3. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

Oh Idris just winked at me *swoons*

4. American Maid

American Maid Well-Known Member

I thought that was one of the elements in Ultimates Thor--Thor worship. His followers are literally following him around. And I keep running across comments from people saying the movies draw in part from Ultimates Thor. So it seems like it would make sense for them to do this.

That said, Stonehenge wasn't a Norse religious site, so if they have some Thor worship there, I think it will look kind of dumb.

After the events of New York, it's also logical for there to be a bunch of merchandising tie-ins (as there is in real life). Actually, there may be even more cheesy stuff, since Thor has higher priorities than to pursue legal challenges to control use of his likeness :yay:

(And props to CherokeeSam for expanding my vocabulary today! :yay:)

5. elizah72

elizah72 Well-Known Member

I realize that of course, :yay: however if the BIG attack on Earth takes place in England as it appears it does, then it might make sense for some of those people to gather to worship/celebrate an "old god" in such a place. ;) There could be other scenes on tv all over the world depicting that same thing, for that matter. But we'll have to wait and see I guess. :whatever:

LOL, though, why am I now reminded of Life of Brian here?
    [​IMG]

Brian's Mum: "He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!"

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  6. American Maid

Like I've said before, I don't feel like I personally have a good sense for to what people will or will not take offense.

I think there are some who would like to see only their own point of view represented, but there are far more people want to not be charicatured or mocked. I wouldn't say that I'm in that "Religious crowd" to which you refer, but I actually really like this line from Captain America. I think it captures well both an element of his character and an attribute of the time from which he came, a time in which he is still living, to some extent. (There are some deleted scenes from The Avengers that brings this out further.)

As it happens, I just got done reading a Captain America compilation that we have lying around the house (because interlibrary loan is so slow about bringing me Simonson's run). This is from Stan Lee's intro. (Sorry it's lengthy, but it's Stan Lee, y'know? And this is the version I've edited.)

I feel the line you highlighted has that same vibe.

7. elizah72

I am a "devout atheist" not unlike the person who wrote Cap's line there and I thought it was a great line for him to have... Of course I didn't applaud or whoop when I first heard him say it, but still a perfect line for him to have at that moment. Joss says something about that in the Avengers dvd commentary too. Something like he "wouldn't say that, but Cap would."

8. American Maid

Exactly.

9. elizah72

Was it already reported that Anthony Hopkins may have been at Bourne woods location as well? (no pictures that I know of)

http://surrey.greatbritishlife.co.u...am-a-battle-between-two-kingdoms-iii/id/7446/

10. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

Cap is probably the only person (fictional or real) who can get away with saying this stupid line without me losing any quantum of respect for that person.

11. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

I was one of the cheerers at that line I must admit. :p

12. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

um it's BWIAN :doh:

13. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

Luckily in my theater there was no cheers and applause, just a brief chuckle, myself included (despite my distaste toward religion)

but agreed with Hythlodeus, Cap's the only person who could say that and not sound cheesy and ridiculous

14. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I love that about Cap, old-fashioned ways. I kinda wish Thor and Cap had more interaction in The Avengers.

15. peterparker0077

peterparker0077 Well-Known Member

I must ask why that is the case for you?

Same to BoredGuy

16. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

Freud said it best:

"The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life."

17. Wolvieboy17

Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

The problem with Thor worship being involved in any form is that the religion of Odinism has strong ties to white supremacy and I can see that being a little problematic :p

18. steintym

steintym Stay Frosty

Religious views aside, that did seem like a very Cap thing to say. It definitely portrayed his old school, traditional views.

19. Wolvieboy17

Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

Yeah, I remember my friend groaning at the time which obviously triggered a looooooong explanation from me as to why that line was perfectly in character and totally not propaganda.

20. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I think that, post Thor 1, Thor would probably be a tad bit uncomfortable if humans started worshiping him. Especially since the Asgardians pretty clearly don't view themselves as 'gods', for most definitions of the term.

21. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

heh I kind of think of Coulson talking about the Action figure Selvig had of thor that was cut from Avengers. lol
    Tho I would LOVE to see how he handles being worshipped TODAY now that he has some humility and isn't a "kid" anymore.

22. American Maid

I hadn't known about that bit with the action figure. Ha! That's funny.

(Though I thought the events of Thor1 were a big secret, so why would anyone have an action figure out yet?)

I would think Thor would feel rather uncomfortable about such worship.

23. Caboose

Caboose Well-Known Member

The upcoming poster for the cast and crew by the same artist who did the one for teh first movie is on the site that shall not be named. (if it's real)

Possible hints: The 'o' in Thor is an eclipse. Also, the lightning/energy seems to be a variety of colours. Perhaps hinting at Thor gaining the ability to use Mjolnir to travel between worlds?

24. elizah72

25. American Maid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.