Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

yeah, the RT scores are much more accurate (IMO) than the IMDB scores
TDKR sucked, and Avengers was much better than 4 of those top 5

Cap was definitely as bland a superhero movie as you can get. It felt like people were overly forgiving of a movie that was just so damn vanilla in its presentation, and it still baffles me to this day why it was given such a free pass. I actually found it worse than Thor because at least Thor had an interesting villain, Cap was like having a lettuce and cabbage sandwich on white bread with a side order of raw beans and a glass of water to wash it down.

Hence why it is known by some as Crap America. :dry:

Ugh... I think both The Wolverine and Thor: The Dark World deserve higher scores... it is irritating...

This is my opinion on this situation. Maybe the critics or even the G.A. are already tired of seeing comic book movies every year, I think someone here or maybe on the other site mentioned about the "comic book movie fatigue" or whatever or maybe now that The Dark Knight and The Avengers has raised the bar when it comes to comic book movies, everyone's hopes are so high the ended up being disappointed.

Let's set aside the "because the <insert cbm here> sucked!" at the moment. For me every comic book movie that was released this year were amazing, they are not perfect but they still entertained the hell out of me,

IM3 = Still awesome despite the "too much comedy" complaint.
MOS = Finally the reboot some of us have been waiting for for years.
Wolverine = This movie really surprised me, I had low expectations due to XM:Origins but I'm glad I decided to see it.
TDW = Another awesome movie even though I didn't like most of the Darcy scenes (which is plenty)

Now I'm kind of worried for future cbms if this is true.

Worry about the Future of CBMS when fewer are being made.
You have quite a few years before that happens.

I think the critics might be tired of CBMs, but it doesn't look like the GA is.

Critics are definitely tired of CBMs and getting crankier with every new release. There are more and more CBM's every year and they are forced to review them all. I rolled my eyes at many of the criticisms about this film as they lament the state of Hollywood or assault the material the story and characters are based on.

In the end, it's the GA that pays the bills though.

Critics are definitely tired of CBMs and getting crankier with every new release. There are more and more CBM's every year and they are forced to review them all. I rolled my eyes at many of the criticisms about this film as they lament the state of Hollywood or assault the material the story and characters are based on.

Oh come on. They get PAID to view films. Is not rocket science.

In the end, it's the GA that pays the bills though.

I don't think they are tired of CBMs. The Avengers/The Dark Knight Rises got a really high scores last year, The Amazing Spider-Man is not even that good and it still got 73%. This year, Iron Man 3 got a decent score despite the lukewarming response here.

I just don't think most critics based their score on visual effects, set pieces, scope and action sequences ALONE. They focus more on the story, script and character development, especially those things usually don't better through time. Visual effects, set pieces, action sequences and scope will get better and bigger through time because of technology, but story? script? character development? Its totally in the hands of the filmmaker.

*cough* IM3 got a decent score, because it was a more than decent movie. The only reason it got a lukewarm response here was because of insane fans going insane. Its best not to take the response from an obsidian spire like this one too seriously, when judging the actual general reaction to a movie.

Man, so much crapping on C:TFA last 2 pages. But, given this is NOT the Cap forum, I will choose to avoid debating that movie here (suffice to say, I 100% disagree). If anyone wants to discuss C:TFA. please take it there :up:

Yes. One of the many problems of CA. It was such a boring, bland film and Evans is very wooden as CA. CA was a film that received higher RT reviews than MOS? Wow....that just makes zero sense. :huh:

Goes to show that RT reviews are highly inconsistent.

Gotta disagree with what you said there. Cap movie may have suffered from lackluster action scenes and weak villain,but the movie as a whole was alot better than MOS by a longshot.

Cap movie done a much better job telling the story, it has a much better pacing,better characterisations and much better performance from it's leads...as oppose to MOS, whicch got a MAJOR pacing problem because the director couldn't wait to get to the next big action set piece, and as a result,the pacing,storyline and characters moments and everything else in between suffered as well.

And just to keep this on topic...this movie almost suffered from the same mistakes as well...but not as bad as MOS IMO

Don't know why people at SHH still care Rotten Tomatoes, their rating tells nothing.
Everybody know The Wolverine and Thor: TDW are better movies than Iron Man 3.

Don't know why people at SHH still care Rotten Tomatoes, their rating tells nothing.
Everybody know The Wolverine and Thor: TDW are better movies than Iron Man 3.

Not everyone knows that because there is a thing called an opinion, and the quality of a film is just that: an opinion. So, please don't insult the people who enjoyed IM3.

So please everyone. Stop crapping on other films in this thread. You're only going to start fights.

I didn't care for how this thread trended as well, which is why I stopped posting on it.

Cap was definitely as bland a superhero movie as you can get. It felt like people were overly forgiving of a movie that was just so damn vanilla in its presentation, and it still baffles me to this day why it was given such a free pass. I actually found it worse than Thor because at least Thor had an interesting villain, Cap was like having a lettuce and cabbage sandwich on white bread with a side order of raw beans and a glass of water to wash it down.
Cap has a lot of heart, great acting, an excellent score, is really strong in terms of character work, and a good 80s action adventure throwback feel. Bland is the last way I would describe it. Every time I see it, I appreciate it more. My favorite from Phase 1, alongside The Avengers.

Man, so much crapping on C:TFA last 2 pages. But, given this is NOT the Cap forum, I will choose to avoid debating that movie here (suffice to say, I 100% disagree). If anyone wants to discuss C:TFA. please take it there :up:
:up:

Not everyone knows that because there is a thing called an opinion, and the quality of a film is just that: an opinion. So, please don't insult the people who enjoyed IM3.

So please everyone. Stop crapping on other films in this thread. You're only going to start fights.
:bow:

I didn't care for how this thread trended as well, which is why I stopped posting on it.
It is amazing how defense of a film turns into a bash fest of others. It is why I have been avoiding the top threads at this point. Not a lot of discussion to be had.

Last edited:
Cap has a lot of heart, great acting, an excellent score, is really strong in terms of character work, and a good 80s action adventure throwback feel. Bland is the last way I would describe it. Every time I see it, I appreciate it more. My favorite from Phase 1, alongside The Avengers.

It is amazing how defense of a film turns into a bash fest of others. It is why I have been avoiding the top threads at this point. Not a lot of discussion to be had.

In other posters defense it is a RT thread and comparing its ratings to other films is kinda expected. Not much to say about a RT score if you dont compare it to other films of the same genre. Only so many times can someone say oh look Thor is a 66 percent and 38 percent with top critics. Its not moving anywhere.

Requoting your entire post because, basically, this. This x100. CA:TFA worked in large part, though the action was lacking, the story was really strong, Steve Rogers was a unique hero (little angst, no daddy issues, just wanted to be soldier, etc.) and the characters were great, IMO. Sure, there were weak spots, but that film has a ton of heart.

But I also really, really loved Thor:TDW too! I do wish the RT score for this movie was higher; I thought it was just awesome. If only for every scene involving Loki alone&#8230;

Last edited:
Requoting your entire post because, basically, this. This x100.

But I also really, really loved Thor:TDW too! I do wish the RT score for this movie was higher; I thought it was just awesome.

Suzanne78, you are a great example. You are able to express your favor for TDW without having to deem another film. There is a difference between comparing/contrasting and bashing another film to prop up another.

Personally, I have liked all the superhero films this year. Some more then others of course, but I have enjoyed myself in the theater each and every time. That is a very good thing imo.

Suzanne78, you are a great example. You are able to express your favor for TDW without having to deem another film. There is a difference between comparing/contrasting and bashing another film to prop up another.

Personally, I have liked all the superhero films this year. Some more then others of course, but I have enjoyed myself in the theater each and every time. That is a very good thing imo.

Ha! Well thanks :woot:

I need to watch The Wolverine still. At some point, I'm going to do a rewatch with MOS with my husband too.

Basically, these conversations bemoaning the quality of a movie's RT score and comparing it to other movies, etc. is all really for naught, as the entire thing is simply based on subjective factors (and critics, ultimately, are paid for their subjective opinions, though there should be a basis of objective analysis and film scholarship in their approach).

There are times when I vehemently disagree with a critic's rating of a movie, or even a critical consensus of a movie. But I try not to trash one movie to say one's clearly better.

Yep, what is important here is how you feel about TDW. If you disagree with a review or the RT score, you don't need other films to validate that. It kills me when you see posters take a different review from a critic for a different film, to justify why the critic can't be taken seriously.

Yep, what is important here is how you feel about TDW. If you disagree with a review or the RT score, you don't need other films to validate that. It kills me when you see posters take a different review from a critic for a different film, to justify why the critic can't be taken seriously.

YUUUUUUUP!!

Honestly, there are only a couple of reviewers that I just totally ignore for pretty much any film *cough*ArmondWhite*cough*.

Each film, I think even the Marvel movies, really can be looked at as individual films. I guess it's in our nature to compare certain things about the movies, but I don't want to say, "Well, X was clearly better than Y because of a, b, and c… and Y sucked because…" That path is so repetitious.

I haven't had a chance to read the T:TDW reviews yet. I don't know what it is about the foreign critic circles vs. US critics that give the movie a harder time. There have been mixed reviews on my Twitter and Facebook streams, but I, for one, cannot stop gushing about the movie. I know it's flawed, no film's perfect, but the stuff I loved, I absolutely adored. Even moreso than the first film.

YUUUUUUUP!!

Honestly, there are only a couple of reviewers that I just totally ignore for pretty much any film *cough*ArmondWhite*cough*.

Each film, I think even the Marvel movies, really can be looked at as individual films. I guess it's in our nature to compare certain things about the movies, but I don't want to say, "Well, X was clearly better than Y because of a, b, and c&#8230; and Y sucked because&#8230;" That path is so repetitious.

I haven't had a chance to read the T:TDW reviews yet. I don't know what it is about the foreign critic circles vs. US critics that give the movie a harder time. There have been mixed reviews on my Twitter and Facebook streams, but I, for one, cannot stop gushing about the movie. I know it's flawed, no film's perfect, but the stuff I loved, I absolutely adored. Even moreso than the first film.

The movie seems to go over well with the audience reviews it on RT though. It's basically even with First Class and higher than most CBM's (this far in it's life). I guess that's something for those that put value in consensuses.

For me that matters as little as the critics as none of those should change what any individual feels about it, good or bad.

Last edited:
Mjölnir;27235157 said:
The movie seems to go over well with the audience reviews it on RT though. It's basically even with First Class and higher than most CBM's (this far in it's life). I guess that's something for those that put value in consensuses.

For me that matters as little as the critics as none of those should change what any individual feels about it, good or bad.

True. I actually don't really look much at the audience reviews on RT - I kind of stick with the Twitter, Tumblr, and FB feedback, although I've was quasi-spoiled for some of the big moments in the movie. I'm really glad the GA is enjoying the movie though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"