World Thor (from TDW) vs Superman (from MOS) who wins in a fight, and why ?

Batmannerism

Super-unknown
Reaction score
This year
We've seen what Thor can do in TDW,
We've seen what Superman can do in MOS

Now, if Disney and WBros ever put their differences aside....
maybe these two characters will meet, and given their
personalities...FIGHT !

So who would win, based on the current movie depictions
of the characters (NOT the comic book versions) and why ?

Let the battle begin.

(BTW I'm also posting this thread in a Superman section so we get as many responses as possible).

Allow me to start the Hammer twirling !

Superman is obviously much stronger and has a much greater degree of
invulnerability.

Thor possesses a magic weapon, to which Superman is probably
vulnerable. Although having said that Shazam's magic lightning has
hurt him, but not killed him..

Thor is a skilled warrior with superior fighting skills, and a never-say-die
attitude.

Here's how I see it playing out. After a short exchange of words,
Thor strikes first, as he'd be first to get the tactical advantage.

Supes is surprised by how much that little Hammer and its lightning
blasts hurt him. He gets smacked around by Thor quite a bit, probably
tries to fly and gets blown around by hurricane force winds etc.

Anyway, eventually one of two things happens.

1) Supes realises that as fast as Thor's hammer is, he's a lot faster, and dodges Mjolnir, and punches Thor about as hard as he hit Zod, which should knock out the Thunder God (given what Kurse was able to do to him).

2) Supes, being a selfless and highly worthy individual, catches Mjolnir, in mid-flight, and surprise, surprise, he can lift it - possessing both the physical strength and strength of character. After sending a completely shocked Thor sprawling with a backhand, the Thunder God, after waking up a few moments later, is shocked a second time when Superman hands him back his hammer. Thor acknowledges Supes' greatness, and departs in defeat......

either way, Superman wins.

Now I know you Thor-maniacs out there are probably lining up to refute my little scenarios, but that's what forums like this are for.

BTW I loved Thor TDW, thought it was to Thor, what Dark Knight, was to Batman Begins. That's saying a lot, as you can probably tell, I'm more of a Super-fan, and have never really liked Thor that much - but I liked where this movie took him (and Hiddleston was amazing as Loki, best super-villain since McKellen's Magneto).

Okay, time for you to drop the hammer and respond !

I like threads like this. Its good fun, until the trolls show up.

Well, I say Superman destroys Thor. Powerlevel wise, its kinda unfair. Look at Thors big fight against Malekeith (I dunno if thats right), or at the impact Thors punches have, even with Mjolnir. He can punch a car a like 20 meters away. Clark is muuuuuuuuch stronger than anything Thor can do in the movies, if we talk about feats. Sure, Thor has Mjolnir, but Clark has the power to cut a skscraper in half with his heat vision.
Clark is also much faster, while Thor has better fighting skills.

So, yeah. Kal takes this.
I love Thor, though! Not as much as Supes, but he is my favorite Marvel character. Dark World was a great movie, even Marvels best for me so far, even if it was a bit too jokey and silly at times (a problem I have with almost all Marvel movies).

Depends on what universe they're fighting in. Superman in the Marvel Universe would lose significant advantages. In the DC universe, complete invulnerability is possible. Not so the Marvel Universe. Even major heavyweights like Thor and Hulk can bleed under the right circumstances. Supes would likewise if they fought in the MarvelU. Also, in the MarvelU, Superman couldn't fly. You need some legit reason to be able to do that there. In DC you can do whatever you like.

Last edited:
Obviously you can script a way to make it a fun, fair fight.

In reality, if we're taking their powers at face value Superman beats pretty much everybody.

Obviously you can script a way to make it a fun, fair fight.

In reality, if we're taking their powers at face value Superman beats pretty much everybody.

If it takes place in the DC universe then yeah. If in the MarvelU then both Thor and Hulk easily match Supes plus they're much more vicious and experienced fightes so they'd likely kick his butt all over the place.

If it takes place in the DC universe then yeah.

No, if it takes place in the fake, imaginary universe where characters from a Warner Bros. film are battling characters from a Disney film.

*yawn*

Some people...

Come on Thor fans, you can do better than this. I haven't heard anything
yet that makes me go, "Oh, yeah, I can see that, maybe Thor would win."

Dudes, as far as made up universes go....well we are all on a forum
called Superhero hype, so you just have to suspend disbelief.

I do like the point that perhaps the two comic book universes do
seem to have particular unwritten rules - not so sure if I agree with the flying one, there are plenty of Marvel characters who can fly...because they can fly, but the invulnerability thing I can sort of see.

Once upon a time death was much more permanent in the DC universe ( I'm thinking of the Flash, who died in 1985, and took 23 years to be resurrected, Superman doesn't count, because the moment he died, we all knew he was coming back), personally, I think they should have
let Barry stay dead, but used the loophole to allow him to make periodic appearances (you know, that as he ran around the Anti-monitor's universe destroyer, to keep the antimatter inside, he travelled in and out of time).

I think Marvel broke the death barrier first when they resurrected Jean Gray. The dark phoenix saga was such a classic Xmen tale, and they undid it all by bringing Jean back - sure there was a somewhat plausible explanation, but her death was so significant (and well written) and it had lasting effects on all the X-characters, particularly Cyclops and Wolverine.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Raise your game Thor fans, assume that Supes and Thor slug it out, with their powers exactly as depicted in their films. Who wins. I know that on the face of it, or prima facie -to be fancy - the Thor fans have a tougher job, because Superman is more physically powerful and faster, but get creative.

I'm a Super-fan, but I'm happy to admit that it's possible Thor could defeat Superman, depending on the circumstances.

Go for it ! Time to Drop the Hammer !

(I hope that means the same thing in the rest of the world as it does down here in NZ, where it pretty much means to give it all you've got).

BTW, again Thor TDW was awesome. Cheers.

Thread like this are fun but they never end well. The Hulk vs. Thor Avengers thread was awesome until it devolved into personal attacks. I just hope things don't get all tribal.

1. Thor has NEVER been knocked out in the MCU (not counting mortal Thor), not even when facing Kurse or Hulk so let's not say Supes can do the same.

2. The didn't bleed until The Avengers, so just like Supes he was didn't shed a drop of blows in his origin film (while powered of course).

3. Supes was physically the strongest being in MOS, well see what happens when he comes across guys stronger than him like Thor did in TA and T:TDW.

1. Thor has NEVER been knocked out in the MCU (not counting mortal Thor), not even when facing Kurse or Hulk so let's not say Supes can do the same.

2. The didn't bleed until The Avengers, so just like Supes he was didn't shed a drop of blows in his origin film (while powered of course).

3. Supes was physically the strongest being in MOS, well see what happens when he comes across guys stronger than him like Thor did in TA and T:TDW.

That's more like it. Thanks for putting up some arguments !

1. Not so sure about Thor not being KO'ed. I think Kurse
had knocked him out and was pounding his face into Hamburger before Loki speared him from behind.
. Although you are correct, Supes did get knocked down, and possibly knocked out for a few seconds by the giant Kryptonian.

2. Of course Mortal Thor doesn't count, we're only interested in god-like Thor. Kurse certainly did make him bleed, but you're right, not in his origin film (in his god-mode anyway).

3. Tricky to say who's stronger. Thor, I'm not so sure, as what's the heaviest object we've seen him lift......not sure. Remember how casually Zod kicks that Tanker truck across the road, would Thor have that kind of power ?
The Hulk, probably a much more reasonable comparison, as he stops that giant alien ship/flying fish thing, all by himself.

BTW I give a significant edge in fighting skills and strategy to Thor, as he's a lot older than Supes and has had plenty of warrior training.

If you're interested, what do you think about this....

4. speed. Thor's reasonably quick, for a big guy, but nothing like Supes.
On that note, can Thor fly and throw Mjolnir at the same time....maybe not, so mobility advantage Supes.

5. Do you think Supes could lift mjolnir ? Obviously he could physically lift it, but being such a selfless guy, who's always good to his mum, he might also be worthy enough to hold it. I doubt he could command it's magical powers, but Thor might chuck it at Supes, who might catch it and chuck it back.

6. Heat vision. probably not a game changer, but possibly a match for Thor's lightning.

7. Thor doesn't usually fight alone. Even against Malekith, he had backup in the form of Jane, Selvig and the others. Supes is quite often a solo act. Maybe that would tip the balance in Thor's favour.

8. Where the fight takes place (as in which realm) would make a difference. Thor's power goes wherever he does. While Supes probably has a big edge in raw power on Earth, (and I think also in Asgard, as it's a really sunny place in the movies) if the fight happened in Jotunheim or Svartalfheim, Supes would probably be much less powerful.

Thanks again for the post, you're doing Thor fans proud. :)

1. MCU Thor may not have outrageous strength feats like Hulk or MOS Sues, but he did block and push up against a punch from an enraged Hulk in TA. Now this is what that basically entails, Hulk stopped that giant leviathan with his right arm which is the SAME arm Thor blocked and overpowered (using two hands).

So in my mind this means that Thor is strong enough to stop one of those deviations as well except he'd have to use both arms and he'd struggle considerably more. So basically Thor is about 70% as strong as Hulk, which would mean he's not as unmatched in the strength department as some might think against MOS Supes. I didn't see MOS Supes lift a single thing that Avengers Hulk couldn't easily lift, which basically means I think MC Thor could lift most of what MOS Supes lifted in the film. The only thing I'm not sure of him being able to do is go against that "gravity machine".

2. I do give MOS Supes the advantage in speed, but he didbn't utilize his speed that often in combat, hardly ever actually. Even Zod didn't really use much super speed in combat, that was mostly Faora.

3. I think Thor's lightning is more powerful than Supes heat vision, yeah Zod brought down a building but buildings aren't solid structures. Thor's lightning on the other hand destroyed 3 space whales when they were coming through that portal. It's also powerful enough to rip through concrete as seen in T:TDW's tv spots not too mention what it did to Jotunheim which wasn't very stable either but it is still a planet abduction should be much more stable that a building.

4. Supes definitely has the mobility advantage as well.

5. Thor can create tornadoes just by thinking it, as seen in Thor when he got his hammer back and that tornado started to form before he flew into the air during his fight with The Destroyer. Go watch that scene, Thor didn't do a single gesture to summon that tornado he not a spin of the hammer or anything, although he did spin it to make the winds stronger.

Superman has the chest hair advantage and better taste in women. Clear winner. :D

On a slightly, but not really, more serious note, MoS Supes is a beast. His speed, mobility, and flight are unmatched on the big screen. The only ones that come close are his fellow Kryptonians and the Hulk, though other then Zod, no flight. He also seems pretty indestructible (I wonder if he could fly through a space whale the way he flew through the scout ship), but as we know both of these incarnations of Superman and Thor can be killed.

I wouldn't say Clark is necessarily stronger, but it is the combination of speed and strength that would give Thor a lot of trouble. Thor might be able to hit Clark as hard, but he'd have to catch him and probably would have to take a lot more shots for his one.

Thor's best weapon in this fight would be his lightning. It isn't as direct as Clark's heat vision, but so far it has more potential to do big damage. The one disadvantage when it comes to Thor's lightning in the films is that so far he must gather it using his hammer if he wants to direct it, and that takes a bit of time. Clark is just too fast for that.

Though I do wonder what would happen if Thor put up a spinning hammer guard. Could be tough for Clark to get around. Would have to get fancy with the heat vision.

In the end though, I think the answer is clear. Batman with prep time beats them both at the same time. :cwink:

^ Great post Darth

I agree with you Supes not necessarily being stronger, because he didn'tdo anything in MOS that Thor couldn't do as well (strength wise). He just threw his strength around a lot more due to who directed the film and you people are enamored with gratuitous strength feats. The speed is definitely a factor but MOS Supes wasn't that efficient at using it, he hardly ever used it in battle and when he did it wasn't fast enough to give Thor much of a problem. Now Faora on the other hand, she speed blazed like crazy, FAR better and more often than anyone in MOS. I think Supes wasn't as adept due to his lack of fighting experience.

MOS Supes while tough also wasn't as invulnerable as some make it out to be, he was K'O'ed atleadt three times in the film, once after catching that oil tanker at sea, then during his fight with Faora and Namek, as well as after he destroyed that gravity machine.

1. MCU Thor may not have outrageous strength feats like Hulk or MOS Sues, but he did block and push up against a punch from an enraged Hulk in TA. Now this is what that basically entails, Hulk stopped that giant leviathan with his right arm which is the SAME arm Thor blocked and overpowered (using two hands).

So in my mind this means that Thor is strong enough to stop one of those deviations as well except he'd have to use both arms and he'd struggle considerably more. So basically Thor is about 70% as strong as Hulk, which would mean he's not as unmatched in the strength department as some might think against MOS Supes. I didn't see MOS Supes lift a single thing that Avengers Hulk couldn't easily lift, which basically means I think MC Thor could lift most of what MOS Supes lifted in the film. The only thing I'm not sure of him being able to do is go against that "gravity machine".

2. I do give MOS Supes the advantage in speed, but he didbn't utilize his speed that often in combat, hardly ever actually. Even Zod didn't really use much super speed in combat, that was mostly Faora.

3. I think Thor's lightning is more powerful than Supes heat vision, yeah Zod brought down a building but buildings aren't solid structures. Thor's lightning on the other hand destroyed 3 space whales when they were coming through that portal. It's also powerful enough to rip through concrete as seen in T:TDW's tv spots not too mention what it did to Jotunheim which wasn't very stable either but it is still a planet abduction should be much more stable that a building.

4. Supes definitely has the mobility advantage as well.

5. Thor can create tornadoes just by thinking it, as seen in Thor when he got his hammer back and that tornado started to form before he flew into the air during his fight with The Destroyer. Go watch that scene, Thor didn't do a single gesture to summon that tornado he not a spin of the hammer or anything, although he did spin it to make the winds stronger.

I wouldn't say that. Superman's Heat vision Melted a steel I beam in under a second.
suppeyes2jjuy.gif

Superman has the chest hair advantage and better taste in women. Clear winner. :D

On a slightly, but not really, more serious note, MoS Supes is a beast. His speed, mobility, and flight are unmatched on the big screen. The only ones that come close are his fellow Kryptonians and the Hulk, though other then Zod, no flight. He also seems pretty indestructible (I wonder if he could fly through a space whale the way he flew through the scout ship), but as we know both of these incarnations of Superman and Thor can be killed.

I wouldn't say Clark is necessarily stronger, but it is the combination of speed and strength that would give Thor a lot of trouble. Thor might be able to hit Clark as hard, but he'd have to catch him and probably would have to take a lot more shots for his one.

Thor's best weapon in this fight would be his lightning. It isn't as direct as Clark's heat vision, but so far it has more potential to do big damage. The one disadvantage when it comes to Thor's lightning in the films is that so far he must gather it using his hammer if he wants to direct it, and that takes a bit of time. Clark is just too fast for that.

Though I do wonder what would happen if Thor put up a spinning hammer guard. Could be tough for Clark to get around. Would have to get fancy with the heat vision.

In the end though, I think the answer is clear. Batman with prep time beats them both at the same time. :cwink:

The funny thing is that any and all Mjolnir based attacks would do Hella damage amusing MOS Superman as Comic Superman's Magic weakness.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that. Superman's Heat vision Melted a steel I beam in under a second.
suppeyes2jjuy.gif

Being hotter doesn't necessarily mean more powerful. That's lightning was much more destructive as cited by the Chrysler tower attack, plus isn't lightning hotter than the surface of the sun?

Being hotter doesn't necessarily mean more powerful. That's lightning was much more destructive as cited by the Chrysler tower attack, plus isn't lightning hotter than the surface of the sun?

Thor lighting is around 18,000°F. Did a little bit a research and some one said to melt steel around the size of a nut or a bolt you would have to use a plasma torch that could heat it to around 2500°F.. Even then would take about about 2 to 3 minutes to completely liquefy steel that size. MOS Superman did it in under a second to an entire I beam. They only way to instantly vaporize steel like that is with the heat from the core of a Nuclear bomb blast. That runs around 50 to 150 million degrees Fahrenheit. I may be wrong though.

Last edited:
^ Great post Darth

I agree with you Supes not necessarily being stronger, because he didn'tdo anything in MOS that Thor couldn't do as well (strength wise). He just threw his strength around a lot more due to who directed the film and you people are enamored with gratuitous strength feats. The speed is definitely a factor but MOS Supes wasn't that efficient at using it, he hardly ever used it in battle and when he did it wasn't fast enough to give Thor much of a problem. Now Faora on the other hand, she speed blazed like crazy, FAR better and more often than anyone in MOS. I think Supes wasn't as adept due to his lack of fighting experience.

MOS Supes while tough also wasn't as invulnerable as some make it out to be, he was K'O'ed atleadt three times in the film, once after catching that oil tanker at sea, then during his fight with Faora and Namek, as well as after he destroyed that gravity machine.
When it comes to Supes speed, I think the hand to hand with Faora, Nam-Ek and Zod is telling. He couldn't keep up with her at first, but as the fight with Faora went on, he started matching her speed and was able to hold up against Nam-Ek and Faora at the same time. With Zod, he had the upper hand. Zod saved by a car. :D

If you compare it to Thor's movement, it really isn't close. Thor moves like a normal human being in the quickness department. Thor like Zod would have the training and experience in battle advantage, but I am not sure if he'd have the tools to make good use of it.

Supes is pretty invulnerable. He can be knocked down, but no real damage is done to him. The gravity machine was a problem because of the atmosphere, but again, not a scratch.

suppeyes2jjuy.gif

The funny thing is that any and all Mjolnir based attacks would do Hella damage amusing MOS Superman as Comic Superman's Magic weakness.
Mjolnir isn't neccessarily "magic" in the films. They have made them more of an advance alien race and apparently TDW seems to confirms this. Well, at least until Dr. Strange shows up. :word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"