Thor: Love and Thunder - RATE AND REVIEW THREAD(TAG SPOILERS!)

I thought they were goats.

I wish it was a parody as at least it would be a direction and wouldn't feel so aimless. I largely think the humor works. It is the narrative that's weak.

I thought they were goats.

I wish it was a parody as at least it would be a direction and wouldn't feel so aimless. I largely think the humor works. It is the narrative that's weak.

see I'm the complete opposite
I thought the narrative mostly worked (could've been plussed up a bit) but thought the humor was entirely unfunny

4/10.

Awful. Everything made into a joke in the first half, killing any stakes or sense of drama going into the second.

Reminds me of Batman & Robin.

'The third film worked well! Let's just do much, much more of that!'

3/10 and thats being generous. Christian Bale showed up to act meanwhile everyone around him showed up thinking they were in a MCU parody. Not to mention in all this goofiness they introduce stage 4 cancer (are you having fun kids?). Marvel has a serious quality control issue since endgame and widely inconsistent.

After hearing non-stop about how this was the worst Marvel movie ever and how Taika has gone way overboard with his humour, I was finally able to see this and to my surprise, this was actually pretty good. The way Thor’s arc and Gorr’s arc sort of reflected each other worked for me and I really loved the Mighty Thor. So happy to see Natalie get her moment to shine in this franchise and I would love to see more of her. My biggest issue would be that I wanted more. More of Jane, more of Valkyrie, more of Gorr. Less of Korg though… I thought he didn’t really have much to do. He was just there mostly making mediocre jokes.
When they did his death fake out, I thought oh maybe he’ll actually stay dead and his death will have some purpose but nope. He’s a talking mouth now.
His role should probably have been more like Miek’s and his screentime should’ve gone to Valkyrie who needed to be more than just a third wheel.

One major complaint I’ve seen of this is how there’s too much humour that undermines the serious moments, but I have to disagree. I thought they treated the serious moments with the appropriate amount of gravity.
Gorr’s opening scene with his daughter was harrowing. Jane’s cancer was handled well too IMO. She did joke about it, but it never seemed like the audience was meant to laugh at her or her suffering. It felt like the jokes were her way of coping with this horrible disease. And her death scene/Gorr’s redemption scene was really well done too.
There was some awkward humour in the beginning notably the humour in Sif’s scene which I found especially awkward; the goats too were annoying at first, but then I did chuckle a few times when you would randomly hear them screaming; but apart from that I really enjoyed this movie. Definitely doesn’t deserve the reputation that it has gotten.

Saw this again while still largely enjoyed it, I reckoned it could have been stronger if the focus was on either the fraught human-deity relationship or Jane’s internal and external confrontation and battle, told through a Thor adventure against Gorr, and how either way reshaped him as a person that is also perceived as a god. But any serious message it attempted to convey was I think unfortunately mostly muddled and distracted, rather than reinforced as I thought it had hoped, by jokes and humor.

I agreed Korg didn’t serve much as a purpose, and could have been largely cut. I am not sure about Valkyrie too. There are a few things it wanted to do at the same time, and ended up a bit disjointed at points.

The deleted scenes that I managed to see so far, really belong to the cutting floor.

Last edited:
Finally got round to watching this over the weekend and walked away a bit disappointed tbh. It felt like Taika took all the positive feedback he got about the humour that was imbued into Ragnarok, then lost control of himself. The pacing felt frenetic also.

20% less humour, 20% more runtime and it might have worked better. But for me there was just too much emphasis on comedy and it deflated much of the tension and drama that existed throughout the film - it's fine when comedy is used purposefully and sparingly for that effect to wind down a tense section (Infinity War & Endgame did this often), but too much just wipes out all that emotional buildup.
At no point did I ever feel that Thor himself or the children kidnapped by Gor were ever at any real risk of being hurt or dying. Even Jane Foster's death felt a bit anti-climatic as she spent nearly more time onscreen worrying about her catchphrases than her stg4 cancer

It also becomes increasingly difficult to reconcile this version of Thor with the more serious character who appeared in earlier films.

Did enjoy Bale's performance but would liked to have seen more of his character.

see I'm the complete opposite
I thought the narrative mostly worked (could've been plussed up a bit) but thought the humor was entirely unfunny
I just thought the narrative wasn't that good and it was unfunny to boot. I went with bad. I definitely say this is the worst phase of the MCU even though I really liked Black Widow and Shang-Chi along with the Disney+ shows.

I don't think it's that bad, not much worse than Phase Two, but Winter Soldier and GOTG really do bring the average up on that phase. Shang Chi was great but it doesn't quite elevate the phase the way those two movies did

Like a lot have said, I think "disappointing" sums up the movie pretty perfectly. It's wasn't bad, but after Ragnarok->Infinity War->Endgame this movie is just so much of a let down by comparison. (and probably had very little chance of not being so)

That said, I think Hemsworth has knocked it out of the f***ing park in all 4 of his latest appearances.

I really liked this movie when I saw it in theaters and watching on Disney+ has made me like it more and more even love it. I get some of the complaints but I think this definitely a good MCU film. Can’t wait to add it to my MCU 4K Collection on Tuesday.

Overall I thought the film was okay-ish, it's basically a less polished continuation of Ragnarok. It's a comedy that's not very funny, with a rushed storyline that doesn't flesh out any of its characters or arcs. There's a very real sense of tonal whiplash, and that's not even mentioning the usual Marvel problems (no stakes, bad CGI, lack of physical locations & sets, undercutting drama with jokes).

That said, I don't understand the hyperbolic backlash against it, or labeling it as the MCU's worst entry. Aside from MoM (which I genuinely like), L&T's the best Marvel movie since Endgame (I'd have included NWH but I still don't care about MCU Spider-Man). At least this film had a recognizable voice and a style that was reasonably fun.

My biggest critique is how squandered both Gorr & Jane's arcs were. I don't think Taika was the right director to tackle those storylines, his irreverent sensibilities just clash with the gravitas necessary to handle them properly. The movie's very weightless given the subject matter (cancer; can gods be good?).

I don't think I'll be revisiting this film anytime soon. It reminds me a lot of Iron Man 2; a rudderless imitation of the previous film, but without any of the interesting set pieces or catharsis. This was a movie without anything to say, just a fun, forgettable romp. So in other words, another Marvel movie.

6/10

With every subsequent installment I'm convinced more and more that MoM was an anomaly. I very much hope Wakanda Forever is great, but given the film's messy production that would take a miracle.

I don't think Taika was the right director to tackle those storylines, his irreverent sensibilities just clash with the gravitas necessary to handle them properly. The movie's very weightless given the subject matter (cancer; can gods be good?).
You know, actually I think Taika is very capable of handling very different tones. Jojo Rabbit being the prime example of how to successfully blend two very distinctive storylines/tones. That movie was both funny and dramatic in a, dare I say, natural way? That was the genius of that movie.

But, at the same time, it feels like Taika was just so damn lazy on Love and Thunder. You can tell by his attitude on set and on those YouTube specials they make as promotional material. Yes, he usually has that personality, but this time I think he was too confident. Everything feels undercooked and rushed. It doesn't look like much care was taken.

You know, actually I think Taika is very capable of handling very different tones. Jojo Rabbit being the prime example of how to successfully blend two very distinctive storylines/tones. That movie was both funny and dramatic in a, dare I say, natural way? That was the genius of that movie.

But, at the same time, it feels like Taika was just so damn lazy on Love and Thunder. You can tell by his attitude on set and on those YouTube specials they make as promotional material. Yes, he usually has that personality, but this time I think he was too confident. Everything feels undercooked and rushed. It doesn't look like much care was taken.
I didn't finish Jojo Rabbit; the tonal shifts were just as jarring there. Taika's style doesn't really work for me, it seems. Hunt for the WIlderpeople was fine, but I find his attempts at humor too self-conscious.

And I don't think it helped his ego any by winning an Oscar. Can't say I'm looking forward to what he might do with Star Wars.

I didn't finish Jojo Rabbit; the tonal shifts were just as jarring there. Taika's style doesn't really work for me, it seems. Hunt for the WIlderpeople was fine, but I find his attempts at humor too self-conscious.

And I don't think it helped his ego any by winning an Oscar. Can't say I'm looking forward to what he might do with Star Wars.

Oh I see. Yeah, the tone is a bit jarring at the beginning but the movie turns out quite beautiful to be honest. You should give it a chance.

You know as much as I love the ending I’ve been thinking about how I would’ve ended the movie and I always think about the beginning of Jason Aaron’s God Butcher story when the Alien from the desert planet that was going through a drought and then the Alien prayed for rain and Thor answered and conjured up rain.

I thought it would’ve been cool if at the end of the movie it ends with the same scenario as the first scene except on a similar planet (or possibly the same planet) and an Alien prays for rain and just as their about to give up they hear thunder start to crackle in the sky and clouds form and the the rain begins to pour. Then as the Alien begins to cry and see’s two beings start to walk toward him and it’s Thor and Gorr’s daughter and he begins to thank them for blessing his planet with rain and ask for their name and the girl says just call us Love and Thunder(corney I know lol) and then they fly away as the alien dances In the rain.

I know that’s a lot and the movies ending is much better but I just think that if Marvel took that part from the comic and reworked it as an ending to the movie it would’ve been an even more beautiful and poignant ending to the already beautiful ending we got and would’ve really touched people and I think it would’ve made a nice contrast to the beginning of the film. I kinda get why they wouldn’t include that part from the comic as an ending though…. not as epic. Anyway just my long thought.

Last edited:
Rewatched this and it’s just as unfunny and torturous as I remembered. The ending feels unearned. Why should I care about this girl called Love? Because the script says so? Why are there so many cringey jokes?

This movie is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. Just horrible. Nothing short of a disaster.

Last edited:
Rewatched this and it’s just as unfunny and torturous as I remembered. The ending feels unearned. Why should I care about this girl called Love? Because the script says so? Why are there so many cringey jokes?

I think there was actually far less jokes in this than in Ragnarok
I do agree they just don't land though, Ragnarok's were funny. I wonder, if they cut out the few jokes, would people have enjoyed it more?

playing GoW Ragnarök right now…gosh, why did Taika choose to leave the Norse mythology? There is so much awesome stuff from the comics left.

It's true
As much as I loved Ragnarok, a big part of me still wishes they had gone with the serious, world-ending, fantasy epic that a Ragnarok story should've been

Instead it was a goofy spin on Planet Hulk with Asgard blowing up

Bummer we'll never see Enchantress, or Baldur, or Mangog, or a decent Malekith, or...

Thor 3 should've been a one off for Taika called Planet Thor or something, then they could've gone back to someone with love for the mythology, both Norse and Marvel, for film 4.

nah Ragnarok was cool.
still my favourite MCU movie.
It has lot of Norse mythology in it.

I think the biggest problem with Love and Thunder is that they made everyone funny/silly. Valkyrie and Korg were shells of who they were in Ragnarok. Both of them had something to do, they were treated like characters with motivations. There was nothing in the new one besides silly one liners. I don't think it's a bad movie but it certainly is a rare miscalculation for Marvel. Thor is still one of the most interesting characters in the MCU, they just need to change the movie around him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"