Thor: Love and Thunder vs Wonder Woman 1984

Fosterson

Sidekick
Reaction score
Which panned sequel to much-better movies released in 2017 centered around a romantic subplot, cringe jokes and a villain seeking to obtain a wishing MacGuffin was most bearable?

And secondarily: which romance was better? Thor/Jane or Diana/Steve?

And thirdly, which director burned through their goodwill more? Waititi or Jenkins?

Neither are the best of what either character has to offer, but Love and Thunder gets my vote simply for not putting me to sleep like WW84 did.

thanos-hard-choices.gif

I guess I'll pick Thor L&T... at least that movie had Bale killin it.

I don't subscribe to the hate against either of these films and I would actually say Love and Thunder is the best Thor film yet. But I still don't love the Thor films, either. Wonder Woman 1984 was the 80s superhero movie I never knew I was missing and I still love it warts and all.

I wonder if Pedro Pascal still has back pain from carrying 1984.

L&T at least had some good action sequences. WW84 was so frustratingly anti-action that i couldnt even enjoy it on that base level. All that hype about her gold eagle armor just for her to do what with it exactly?

L&T was overloaded with humor -- and hardly any of it stuck. The first 20 minutes, for example, was shockingly unfunny. Didn't care for Russell Crowe's flamboyant Zeus either. Bale KILLED it as Gorr, but he belonged in a different movie -- I enjoyed the Jane/Darcy scenes too. Serious tonal problems, whether script-wise or editing wise, really hurt it. I'm tired of people kissing Taika Waititi's butt like he's God's gift to comedy -- he's not. L&T is proof that he's not as funny as he thinks he is.

WW84 has a massive plot problem with the wishing stone macguffin but it was OK. I enjoyed it more than L&T.

I enjoyed WW84 personally. L&T I found disappointing and it’s just got worse in my head ever since. So WW84 gets my vote.

Both movies have their faults but I enjoyed L&T more. There was some stuff that didn’t work or made no sense and I think they made Thor a little TOO stupid at times but overall I liked it. WW84 was a film I found myself TRYING to like but ultimately just didn’t. It had some nice moments with Diana and Steve but even that was undercut by the weirdness of him being in another guy’s body. Additionally, Cheetah felt like such a waste.

It is weird though that both films ended up being
quests for a magic entity that grants wishes. At this point, I don’t think I ever want to see that sort of MacGuffin in a film again. It just feels like lazy writing unless your film is about a genie in a lamp. Also, in the case of Thor, couldn’t he have just walked up to Eternity and wished Jane back to life? But maybe there was something that explained that only Gorr could make a wish and I missed it.

Both movies have their faults but I enjoyed L&T more. There was some stuff that didn’t work or made no sense and I think they made Thor a little TOO stupid at times but overall I liked it. WW84 was a film I found myself TRYING to like but ultimately just didn’t. It had some nice moments with Diana and Steve but even that was undercut by the weirdness of him being in another guy’s body. Additionally, Cheetah felt like such a waste.

It is weird though that both films ended up being
quests for a magic entity that grants wishes. At this point, I don’t think I ever want to see that sort of MacGuffin in a film again. It just feels like lazy writing unless your film is about a genie in a lamp. Also, in the case of Thor, couldn’t he have just walked up to Eternity and wished Jane back to life? But maybe there was something that explained that only Gorr could make a wish and I missed it.

The movie explicitly says that Eternity will grant a wish to the *first* person that manages to reach him. Gorr opened the portal and went through first so only Gorr gets a wish, not anyone who wanders in through the portal behind him.

The movie explicitly says that Eternity will grant a wish to the *first* person that manages to reach him. Gorr opened the portal and went through first so only Gorr gets a wish, not anyone who wanders in through the portal behind him.

Ah okay. Thanks. I missed that.

I legit think WW84 is a solid movie, so I don't get the comparison.
Its not as good as Ragnarok
Considering I don't see that movie as that good, writing construction wise, I think that's not that much of an endorsement.

Both are better than the majority of Marvel's output.

I legit think WW84 is a solid movie, so I don't get the comparison.

The comparison is made based on the idea that these two films have had mixed receptions. WW84 had a worse critic reception and worse audience scores than L&T so the former is actually the more likely one to be put in a comparison like this.

Last edited:
WW84 was appallingly bad from top to bottom, but I haven’t seen L&T yet. I’d be shocked if I like it less than WW84.

Disappointed by both, but I found Thor: Love and Thunder to be way more enjoyable.

I legit think WW84 is a solid movie, so I don't get the comparison.Considering I don't see that movie as that good, writing construction wise, I think that's not that much of an endorsement.
Okay, cool. You think WW84 is a solid movie, but many others don’t. Fact of the matter is both of these movies are highly divisive superhero sequels to widely liked movies that have been criticized in part taking jarring tonal swings in a campier and more goofy direction from their predecessors. Though in fairness, in Thor’s case, Ragnarok was plenty silly already so going from Ragnarok to Love And Thunder is not as jarring a leap tonally than going from the first WW to WW84, where they’re both apples and oranges in tone from each other.

WW1984 was better all around. It wasn't as good as the first WW, but it's not the travesty some make it out to be. Love and Thunder was a cringe fest with the only enjoyable element being Christian Bale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"