Thor News and Pics Thread: Impending Super Bowl Spot Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome trailer - This film just keeps looking better.

Thanks for the screen caps, those are exactly some of the scenes I was trying to check out in more detail (pausing the trailer was not that effective for me.

That throne room looks just a tad bit bigger than in earlier pics :awesome:

I had doubts about the rainbow bridge, but it turned out very cool.

As you can see, the new trailer also giving us the first sustained look at the trio of villains he will face on his humbling mission to protect Earth (thanks for turning on the charm, Natalie Portman). First: Thor’s brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston, whom we’ll see more of in Steven Spielberg’s War Horse), a bitter sibling out to undercut Thor and usurp their father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins). “A brother who is unhappy is a dangerous relative to have,” director Kenneth Branagh tells EW. (Yes, that Kenneth Branagh.)

Villain No. 2 is a bit frostier. “The story involves a clash with an ice planet,” says Branagh, “and the frost giants who live therein. They — as might be suggested by the name — are enormous creatures of incredible power who have been robbed of their power and glory by Odin, Thor’s father. What fuels a lot of this intense battle is revenge. This is an angry race, trying to get back at Thor and the Asgardians, the self-proclaimed guardians of the universe.”

The final villain is “an incredible war machine known as The Destroyer,” Branagh says. That’s the massive, metal giant whose face opens up to reveal projectile hellfire. “This series of metal bands form a giant, walking beast and open to reveal terrifying firepower,” he says, and the ruler of Asgard controls it. (Although maybe it responds to “Klaatu Barada Nikto“?)

“In the right hands, this incredibly powerful device — awesome in its killing quality — is potentially a creature of extraordinary protective powers,” says the director. “In the wrong hands, it is a nightmare.”

Check back on EW.com tomorrow morning for more from Branagh on how he went about humanizing the taciturn Norse god.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/02/17/new-thor-trailer-kenneth-branagh/

Can someone technologically gifted make me an avvy of Thor throwing the coffee mug? :D :D

Great freaking trailer!!!

I had doubts about the rainbow bridge, but it turned out very cool.

I'm with you. I was a little nervous how they would make that look believable and cool ... and I think they nailed it.

if thor's is "i have no plans to die today"..then wat are hulk and iron man's one liners...?

Thor: I have no plans to die today.
Iron Man: My bond is with the people, and I will serve this great nation at the pleasure of myself. If there's one thing I've proven it's that you can count on me to pleasure myself. (or) I WAS GOING TO MAKE AN OMELLETE AND TELL YOU!

Hulk: Obviously "Hulk Smaaaaaaaash!"

Cap: (Maybe :p) You think the A here stands for A hole?!?

I could watch a whole movie that was just Thor walking through a supermarket and smashing jars onto the floor. I really do hope there are more 'lost in translation' type moments. I'd love to see him say something "You there, Wench, which way to the food emporium?" to a police woman :)

Ha!

thorz.jpg

"Ayyyyyy, can I get some freakin cawfee here?"

With "brute chaotic force" I meant this.

The trouble is, you are trying to attribute that to historical depictions of Loki.

I used "brute" as in "raw", not "violent". The original Loki causes Ragnarok without fully knowing what he's doing. It's this nature of pushing buttons to see what happens that's a bit different from Marvel's Loki IMO. The Joker is actually something alot closer to the God of Mischief than it's Marvel counterpart.

The Joker... Seriously? The Joker. :dry:

No.

Marvel's Loki plots and manipulates people to get somewhere or to gain something.
Much like the original.
The original Loki did it for the chaos and the fun of it.

You finally got something right. He did that too, according to some depictions. Maybe you do some reading and travel though. Brush up on this mythology to get the connections straight (instead of attributing Loki (Marvel) to Iago).

On watching the trailer 4 times now, I actually think my favourite line is when he says "You cannot kill an entire race!" There is so much emotion in his voice, so humble and wise and then there is so much authority and cold, warriors steel in it when he says "I have no plans to die today". I already feel like Hemsworth has completely nailed Thor, completely and utterly. I'm so wowed.

They do explain it, actually. The golden apples that only Idunn can pick prolong the Asgardians' lives for eons, but they do age. That's why Odin looks old.

Their bodies can also be killed, but everything we've seen in the comics points to the idea that their life force never really goes away. Odin "died" but Thor found him in a strange plane between life and death, locked in eternal combat with Surtur. Thor's "died" numerous times only to be resurrected, most recently because when he died, Donald Blake (the human aspect of Thor's soul) winked back into existence, found Mjolnir, and used it to find and convince Thor that the world still needed him. The other Asgardians' souls took root in human hosts after they all died in the previous Ragnarok, too.

So basically, the Asgardians are very long-lived but not immortal, although they do (confusingly) refer to themselves as immortals all the time. Also, gods are ridiculously hard, if not completely impossible, to "fully" kill.

Yea, your right about the apples. I remembered it when you said something. I'm never sure what is carried over from the myths to the Marvel U sometimes.

On watching the trailer 4 times now, I actually think my favourite line is when he says "You cannot kill an entire race!" There is so much emotion in his voice, so humble and wise and then there is so much authority and cold, warriors steel in it when he says "I have no plans to die today". I already feel like Hemsworth has completely nailed Thor, completely and utterly. I'm so wowed.

It might not be the "best" but my favorite right now is the "You DARE threaten ME, THOR, with so puny a weaUHHGGG"

I grinned ear to ear when I saw that.

Yeah, thats definitely a great line. I think between all three, you essentially get all aspects of Thor's character. Strong and courageous, brash and arrogant, compassionate and noble.

Thor's new trailer is AMAZING, everyone I've shown it too have gone hysterical over it. The monster didn't look bad, it was "average" and I'm sure it's going to improve by May 6th.

My favorite scenes

1) Thor sending Frost Giants flying
2) The huge shot of the hundreds of Frost Giants
3) Hammer slam #2
4) Thor & Loki's argument
5) Odin thrusting his spear
6) Thor face to face with The Destroyer
7) All the Bifrost bridge scenes
8) Loki's energy blast using the staff
9) Monster bursting through the ground
10) Coffe smash

Status