Thor News and Pics thread Premier edition:I need a Horse!

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Thread Manager, May 23, 2011.

1. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I think people will forgive any perceived power differences if it results in a better fight than a couple of hits and the villain's head getting busted open next time.

2. steintym

steintym Stay Frosty

The Destroyer fight also kind of made Sif and The Warriors Three look like punks. They didn't even come close to really slowing The Destroyer, then Thor regains his powers and cleans it up quickly.

Again, not a huge complaint, just would have liked a bit more resistance from the big guy going against Thor. I'm sure most in the GA didn't blink an eye or question it.

3. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I suppose it's because he wasn't really "the big guy." Loki was the main villain. Thor did get a fairly protracted fight with him, at least, although he didn't do anything nearly as impressive as creating a tornado.

4. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

I sure will, I'm looking forward to Thor mixin' it up pretty good with Executioner and the other villain that's a physical threat to Thor.

People like to act like The Destroyer was just pathetic in Thor because he got finished off early, but in reality Thor pulled out bigger guns on him than any other enemy in the film (ie. tornado).

5. Son of Coul

Son of Coul Not 100% A Dick

I think the Destroyer fight was partly compromised because of the pacing, really. Since it wasn't "the big bad," it had to move on from there to the real final battle. Two long ones in a row doesn't feel right. Plus the purpose of the Destroyer wasn't supposed to be a massive threat to Earth or anything, but a device for Thor's sacrifice & redemption and it served that purpose. Its "depowering" worked within the context of the movie.

I feel the scene was never meant to even be a fight or a big action sequence that we were gipped out of, but just a kick-ass moment to illustrate Thor's big comeback.

6. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Exactly, if only more people could see it from this perspective.

7. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Well, i think Marvels marketing had something to do with it.

8. Son of Coul

Son of Coul Not 100% A Dick

That's pretty fair to feel a bit disappointed given the promos pimping Destroyer's appearance, but judging it based on the movie itself there's not much of a reason to feel let down for any reason short of a mild lack of faithfulness to the source material.

9. steintym

steintym Stay Frosty

^ Completely agree with that point. In the context of the movie the Destroyer scene served it's purpose and was great.

It is only in comparison to the source material that it is a slight disappointment.

10. Godzilla2000

Godzilla2000 Dollar Store Diva

And I might like to add that it might be a source material not too many non-comic book fans are familiar with too. The troublesome thing when making a comic movie is that not only do you have to make the fans happy, you have to woo those who have no clue who Thor is other than that he's some blond haired Norse God with a hammer. I certainly fall under the oblivious category as my faves were Spider-man, X-Men and Superman back when I read comics.

11. The_Mighty_Thor

The_Mighty_Thor Stay thy hand troll!

A larger non comic book reading audience is definitely a factor when making a film but why risk alienating your core audience? I mean sure there are some things that just won't translate to film and others that might break the budget in one scene and that's understandable but there always seems to be major things from the source material that either get rewritten or omitted for no good reason. When looking back on Thor all it would have taken to make the Destroyer the badass he's supposed to be would have been a slightly longer fight with Thor getting knocked around a bit more and some better shot selections for what we did get. I agree he pulled out his bigger guns in that fight but the movie didn't make it feel that way. None of the things they did wrong broke the film but some of them could have made it so much better. It's kind of like The Avengers. I'm not going to go in hating it because there's no Antman or Wasp and Hawkeye and Black Widow are part of the original team but I am gonna go in think they already got it wrong before the film even starts!

#236 The_Mighty_Thor, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  12. WildcatNC

WildcatNC I'm on a BOAT ***** !

I still think that since Loki had very little experience in using the Destroyer he didn't utilize it well. If Odin had been using it then it would have been on the level of the comic book Destroyer. They may never explain it, but thats what I like to tell myself.

I agree with others that it served its purpose in the movie, but there is no way around the fact that it was a disappointing battle for the fans.

13. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

So how many times have yall watched the dvd since it came out? :awesome:

14. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

um so far 6 :D total of 12 views so far for me counting the theaters.

15. Lady Marion

Lady Marion It's all in the swing

3 times so far and two times in theaters.

16. The Caped Knight

The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

At least 3 times for me so far, mainly because I've currently been on an extreme STAR WARS marathon with the Blu-ray release .

17. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

I've watched it 9 times on DVD, which makes it 12 times if you count my 3 viewing in theaters.

18. GoblinWhirlwind

GoblinWhirlwind Calibrations

I liked the Destroyer battle, because its main purpose was to show how much Thor changed. Before he charged into battle, oblivious to any danger to his friends, he didn't even care when they were injured on Jotunheim, and now their safety is foremost on his mind. He could've easily fought Destroyer on the ground, but he knew that'd result in a ton more destruction.

19. The_Mighty_Thor

The_Mighty_Thor Stay thy hand troll!

I agree, that aspect of it was well done. It's just that the actual fight was probably the least exciting action scene in the film.

20. Gamma Burst

Gamma Burst Registered

Only 4 in dvd so far!

21. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Finally got the movie on blu-ray yesterday and watched it today, as someone who isnt a Thor fan, I absolutely love this movie, it makes me want to read some Thor comic books but I dont have the money at the moment.

To say i'm gutted Branagh isnt coming back is an understatement, I think his direction in this was superb and the performances were the best in any Marvel movie yet.

22. Godzilla2000

Hopefully Mr. Branaugh will be available for the 3rd movie because I think he did a very good job merging the fantastical with the real world. I don't know very much about the new director as I've never watched Game of Thrones, but in my research I've come to the conclusion that TV series' thematic qualities would serve a Thor movie well.

23. rashad

rashad Hype Board Junkie

He's not in talks to direct anymore. Monster director Patty Jenkins is the frontrunner.
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168452-patty-jenkins-to-direct-thor-2

24. Eggyman

Eggyman The Oval Avenger

I love this film. My favourite Marvel film, easily. Even Marvel characters by different studios, I'd say it's only beaten by Spidey 2.

25. Godzilla2000

I'm kind of under a rock it would seem because I don't know who the director is.

*edit* Oh...I actually do know the movie and I can foresee a lot of Loki torment on the horizon!