Thor: Ragnarok(2017) vs Black Panther(2018) vs CA: The Winter Soldier

Now this is tough.

Honestly CA TWS vs Thor R is a huge contest.....do you like your cbms down to earth, with clever plots and plenty of gunfire and choreographed action OR do you love it spacy and surreal with tons of humour and OTT characters and action.

I love both films - Ragnarok has the edge as it uses Led Zeppelin, so I'll go Ragnarok !

Now this is tough.

Honestly CA TWS vs Thor R is a huge contest.....do you like your cbms down to earth, with clever plots and plenty of gunfire and choreographed action OR do you love it spacy and surreal with tons of humour and OTT characters and action.

I love both films - Ragnarok has the edge as it uses Led Zeppelin, so I'll go Ragnarok !
I generally like the former but I thought Ragnarok was awesome! And it definitely gets bonus points for Led Zep! :up:

1. Thor 3
  2. Captain America 2
  3. Black Panther

They’re all really good, but I gotta go with WS this time. After all these years, I think it’s still my favorite Marvel movie. BP is a very close second.

Thor
Cap2
BP
they are all excellent films to me. The three are 10/10 movies.

This is a tough choice. It stands between Ragnarok and Winter Soldier for me and they are very close, although Black Panther isn't far behind. Both are fantastic and revamped the respective characters but they are still very different from each other. I'll go with this:

1. Ragnarok
2. Winter Soldier
3. Black Panther

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther

The Winter Soldier all the way. Still my favorite MS movie. Do love Ragnarok quite a bit, but there are a few other MCU films I place above it. I didn't like Black Panther.

The Winter Soldier all the way. Still my favorite MS movie. Do love Ragnarok quite a bit, but there are a few other MCU films I place above it. I didn't like Black Panther.

I find Ragnarok has massive rewatch value mostly due to the humour. I've had a rethink and while I like Ragnarok more as its more fun, I now believe that subjectively TWS is the slightly better film.

TWS gets better every time I see it - until TWS I hated Cap as a character and found him boring, TWS changed my mind about him.

I think it's a toss up between TWS and CW for the MCU's best film - and either of them are very close to the Dark Knight in terms of quality ( and for me TDK is GOAT cbm) possibly TWS having the edge as it's a bit more grounded and almost a thriller rather than pure cbm. I think TWS deserves more credit than it gets.

Last edited:
I find Ragnarok has massive rewatch value mostly due to the humour.

However, TWS gets better every time I see it - until TWS I hated Cap as a character and found him boring, TWS changed my mind about him.

I think it's a toss up between TWS and CW for the MCU's best film - and either of them are very close to the Dark Knight in terms of quality ( and for me TDK is GOAT cbm) possibly TWS having the edge as it's a bit more grounded and almost a thriller rather than pure cbm. I think TWS deserves more credit than it gets.
Yeah I agree on Ragnarok. I actually wasn't all that excited for the movie leading up to it because of the humorous tone, but seeing it theaters really made me turn around. Something about Taika's humor really clicked with me. It's a movie I do enjoy revisiting.

Similar experience for me with The Winter Soldier. While I was a big Cap fan, the fact that the movie was coming off the heals of Iron Man 3 and The Dark World, kind of killed any kind of excitement from me. Then seeing it I was blown away. One of the few CBM's to really hit me on an emotional level. I really can't get enough of that movie.

Phase 2 did start off rocky, that's for sure. I like both IM3 and TDW, but yeah they're way lower on the MCU scale and paled in comparison to The Avengers. But as a Captain America guy, I still had faith in Steve to get us back on track!!!

All are great movies, but I'm gonna go with Thor: Ragnarok. That's surprising to me, because Cap is my favorite MCU character that isn't Peter Parker. But everything is awesome in Ragnarok and everything isn't awesome in The Winter Soldier. I find the helicarrier battle boring.

I find Ragnarok has massive rewatch value mostly due to the humour. I've had a rethink and while I like Ragnarok more its more fun, I now believe that objectively TWS is the slightly better film.

TWS gets better every time I see it - until TWS I hated Cap as a character and found him boring, TWS changed my mind about him.

Your thoughts are generally good but I just can't agree on the objectively better part as there's no objective worth to art (unless we talk about how much money something made, or similar things that are quantifiable, but then it's more about it's worth as a product, which all art that's made for money also are). Whatever we like more is the better work.

Your thoughts are generally good but I just can't agree on the objectively better part as there's no objective worth to art (unless we talk about how much money something made, or similar things that are quantifiable, but then it's more about it's worth as a product, which all art that's made for money also are). Whatever we like more is the better work.

That is a fair comment, as there is no true objective measure of art - and if even we went with critical consensus ( which is an aggregate of subjective views) then Ragnarok is the better film.

I accept your reasoning, and will amend my post to change "objectively " to "subjectively".

Having said that, it's arguable that there are no truly objective measures - even for things like distance and time ( these are merely as close as we can get to objective measures). Common Law recognizes a number of so cslled objective legal tests, but even these are really just the subjective views of an uninvolved "reasonable person".
As such, I submit that it's not worth worrying too much about what is objective and what isn't.

I suppose what I was originally trying to express was that although I enjoy rewatching Ragnarok more than TWS, I believe that TWS is the better made film, mostly due to the plot, pacing and performances ( although Cate Blanchett was incredible as Hela, absolutely a contender for best MCU villian).
Hope that clarifies things.

Last edited:
That is a fair comment, as there is no true objective measure of art - and if even we went with critical consensus ( which is an aggregate of subjective views) then Ragnarok is the better film.

I accept your reasoning, and will amend my post to change "objectively " to "subjectively".

Having said that, it's arguable that there are no truly objective measures - even for things like distance and time ( these are merely as close as we can get to objective measures). Common Law recognizes a number of so cslled objective legal tests, but even these are really just the subjective views of an uninvolved "reasonable person".
As such, I submit that it's not worth worrying too much about what is objective and what isn't.

I suppose what I was originally trying to express was that although I enjoy rewatching Ragnarok more than TWS, I believe that TWS is the better made film, mostly due to the plot, pacing and performances ( although Cate Blanchett was incredible as Hela, absolutely a contender for best MCU villian).
Hope that clarifies things.

I understood your general meaning so I just chose to nitpick a bit as I tend to react on the objectivity issue. I don't have any real issue with how you used it as it's much worse when people try to elevate their own opinions through that.

This one is easy. TWS. I didn't like TR and BP.

TWS for me. When it comes to TR and BP, I feel I need to rewatch the latter in order to rank those. I enjoyed them both, but the tone is very different.

TWS was such a great sequel to CA:TFA for me (I loved everything about the origin story, but the Red Skull etc stuff let me down somewhat). And it's a truly great standalone CBM as well.

Now this is tough.

I really like your reasoning here (and I love Led Zep as well) even though I voted TWS myself. It's a close call and with different tones in these flicks.

TWS for me. When it comes to TR and BP, I feel I need to rewatch the latter in order to rank those. I enjoyed them both, but the tone is very different.

TWS was such a great sequel to CA:TFA for me (I loved everything about the origin story, but the Red Skull etc stuff let me down somewhat). And it's a truly great standalone CBM as well.

Yeah TWS lifted the game, not just for Cap but for the entire MCU ( the next MCU film was GOTG which is my personal favorite). TWS added the thriller element, amazing fight choreography and Evans manages to hold his own against a very strong supporting cast.

TWS is to CA TFA what TDK was to Batman Begins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"