Thor Ragnarok Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I would like to thank Kingdork for answering so many questions. I was hoping you could answer one of mine if that's okay.

If I understood things correctly, at some point Thor places an obedience disk on Loki. Was Thor going to leave him on Sakaar and run away with Valkyrie and Bruce? Does that mean Loki wasn't supposed to be part of the Revengers at all?

I've noticed that the "Revengers" title really stuck and I must say I like it! :up:

I've noticed that the "Revengers" title really stuck and I must say I like it! :up:

I like it too. And it's a pretty cool team lol.

I like it too. And it's a pretty cool team lol.

A very powerful team as well, those four could beat Team Iron Man and Team Cap, maybe even both teams at the same time.

Vision and Scarlett Witch would be the only threats really.

A very powerful team as well, those four could beat Team Iron Man and Team Cap, maybe even both teams at the same time.

Vision and Scarlett Witch would be the only threats really.

Yep 4 very powerful members which would make some of the weaker Avengers almost useless against them.

I have a tank top that says "Train Like You've Just Been Asked to Join The Avengers" and I secretly hope someone comes out with the same but says "Revengers" instead. :D

When Thor loses his eye, is it shown onscreen? I'm not really squimmish but I do have a phobia of eyes being gouged out or stabbed onscreen. Is it atleast from the back view?

Well it's a balancing act for sure, and I have nothing against a director having a vision, as a matter of fact that is how we end up with all these great comic books. It starts with writers and Artists having a creative idea and Directors are Artists too, just with a different medium. So, again I am not really against them being creative or making changes to the story, but at the same time they should have respect for the characters the movie is about by trying to capture their likeness. It's when they say I am not going to make this character anything like they are in the comics that I get frustrated.

Surfer

The way I see it, it's the exact same thing that happened in the comics when they created the Ultimate Universe. They redefined, remodeled, recreated everything from 616 with different take on the characters and their stories. Total creative freedom. For better or worse, but at least it was refreshing and interesting. You really have to take it like that. Otherwise you'll always end up disappointed. It's an alternative to the real thing. I like nods to original things from the comics, but personally I hate retreading story beats or character beats that I've already seen before down to a T. Especially when you have like more that 70 years worth of stories, with retcons all over the place and inconsistencies people tend to overlook.

And to go back to the Mandarin, it was not just the twist in itself that I thought was great, but that it served as a quite clever and ballsy political commentary for a Marvel movie and I was surprised by that. Same way Gunn worked Ego's plan and motivation to have a great thematic relevance with the story he was telling. I like seeing that kind of thing. Using these characters for story purposes. My favorite MCU movies are when directors get to fully express themselves, and their ideas and I feel this is the direction they're taking now (I can't wait for Black Panther for this reason because they're sooo much that can be said about Africa and its natural resources).

But that's my personal opinion.

First of all, I would like to thank Kingdork for answering so many questions. I was hoping you could answer one of mine if that's okay.

If I understood things correctly, at some point Thor places an obedience disk on Loki. Was Thor going to leave him on Sakaar and run away with Valkyrie and Bruce? Does that mean Loki wasn't supposed to be part of the Revengers at all?

Well yes. It's Loki for funk's sake.

1. How long does Loki wear the horns? Any reason?
2. Why does his costume change so much?

When Thor loses his eye, is it shown onscreen? I'm not really squimmish but I do have a phobia of eyes being gouged out or stabbed onscreen. Is it atleast from the back view?

I haven't seen the movie, but I heard that it doesn't show the actual "gouging" part, all you see is some blood covering his eye... similar to Odin in the first Thor movie.

1. How long does Loki wear the horns? Any reason?
2. Why does his costume change so much?

Remember the first Avengers movie when he wore the horns, then he didn't, then he wore them again, then he didn't, then he also changed costumes at will and everything? Same thing here. They never ever gave any reason, so why would you want one now?

Remember the first Avengers movie when he wore the horns, then he didn't, then he wore them again, then he didn't, then he also changed costumes at will and everything? Same thing here. They never ever gave any reason, so why would you want one now?

If Vartha was still here, he'd probably smack my hand for this cheeky comment but my guess is cosplay/fan fic/etc.

Because I do cosplay, and want to know if he wears the horns for more than 5 minutes in the whole movie? It would help determine if it's even worth putting in the effort to make the new helmet after 4 years of the character not having one.
And they really don't even mention his outfit going from blue/yellow to black/green?

Because I do cosplay, and want to know if he wears the horns for more than 5 minutes in the whole movie? It would help determine if it's even worth putting in the effort to make the new helmet after 4 years of the character not having one.
And they really don't even mention his outfit going from blue/yellow to black/green?

This is just my speculation based on the TH interview below, but I think Loki went from blue/yellow to black/green 'cause he was wearing the more flashy colors in the Grandmaster's presence and went back to his old color code after the "Revengers" were done on Sakaar.

I'm not good at embedding so, here we go:

http://collider.com/tom-hiddleston-thor-ragnarok-interview/

Compared to the other two, yeah he held his own pretty well considering who he's against. In fact, he's the last man standing after the whole fight, and Hela even congratulates him. But he's no Thor so... Yeah he turned into a kebab.
you have no idea how much i laughed about the kebab part :)

I was considering writing up a synopsis for you guys, but it ended up being several pages long before I even got to the really juicy stuff. Also I got the feeling that, as I was describing stuff, I was kinda ruining the jokes and the fun for you guys. Explaining the comedy of a situation just doesn't really work. I guess I'll just try to add some insights, some stuff I noticed. Maybe I can help out on some more questions (from this point) :p

One of my favorite scenes was a rather small one, with Loki and Thor in an elevator, on their way to steal a spaceship from the Grandmaster. Thor kind of casually notes that Sakaar might be a good place for Loki's future. Initially Loki kind of takes offense to it, but after a bit of back and forth, you get the feeling that Thor genuinely thinks his brother would be happy as the ruler of Sakaar with all its violence, chaos and misfits. The tone kind of switches from banter and being ***** to each other, to genuine brotherly feels and with some subtle acting it seems like both Thor and Loki understand at this point that they have to go their separate ways to be happy.

What's even better is that straight after all this niceness Loki tries to betray Thor, as per usual. Not only does Thor count on this and betray him first, he berates him, confronts him with the fact that he hasn't grown as a person, even boasts about the fact that Thor has in fact grown. It gets to the point where it almost seems 4th wall breaking, taking a shot at other superhero movies where the main dude doesn't really change throughout.

Here you have a Thor who has lost his hammer, his hair, his father, his planet, his girlfriend and has finally accepted his role as king of Asgard, learned new powers and finally kind of accepted the role of his brother in all this. People may be afraid of Thor Ragnarok being too jokey or the stakes never being high in Marvel movies, but if there is one thing this movie gets right, it's the fact that Thor actually grows as a character.

I was considering writing up a synopsis for you guys, but it ended up being several pages long before I even got to the really juicy stuff. Also I got the feeling that, as I was describing stuff, I was kinda ruining the jokes and the fun for you guys. Explaining the comedy of a situation just doesn't really work. I guess I'll just try to add some insights, some stuff I noticed. Maybe I can help out on some more questions (from this point) :p

One of my favorite scenes was a rather small one, with Loki and Thor in an elevator, on their way to steal a spaceship from the Grandmaster. Thor kind of casually notes that Sakaar might be a good place for Loki's future. Initially Loki kind of takes offense to it, but after a bit of back and forth, you get the feeling that Thor genuinely thinks his brother would be happy as the ruler of Sakaar with all its violence, chaos and misfits. The tone kind of switches from banter and being ***** to each other, to genuine brotherly feels and with some subtle acting it seems like both Thor and Loki understand at this point that they have to go their separate ways to be happy.

What's even better is that straight after all this niceness Loki tries to betray Thor, as per usual. Not only does Thor count on this and betray him first, he berates him, confronts him with the fact that he hasn't grown as a person, even boasts about the fact that Thor has in fact grown. It gets to the point where it almost seems 4th wall breaking, taking a shot at other superhero movies where the main dude doesn't really change throughout.

Here you have a Thor who has lost his hammer, his hair, his father, his planet, his girlfriend and has finally accepted his role as king of Asgard, learned new powers and finally kind of accepted the role of his brother in all this. People may be afraid of Thor Ragnarok being too jokey or the stakes never being high in Marvel movies, but if there is one thing this movie gets right, it's the fact that Thor actually grows as a character.

Thank you for that. I am mainly reading this thread to see if I should go see the movie at all. A lot of the reviews make it sound like it is Iron Man 3, which is undoubtedly the worst superhero I have ever sat through in a theater. It completely failed all my expectations and was nothing more than a comedy that didn't work. If the scene you have described is truly touching and not ruined by some stupid joke at the end, this is the kind of stuff I am looking for in the concluding chapter of this trilogy.

Thank you for that. I am mainly reading this thread to see if I should go see the movie at all. A lot of the reviews make it sound like it is Iron Man 3, which is undoubtedly the worst superhero I have ever sat through in a theater. It completely failed all my expectations and was nothing more than a comedy that didn't work. If the scene you have described is truly touching and not ruined by some stupid joke at the end, this is the kind of stuff I am looking for in the concluding chapter of this trilogy.

You can't be serious....

With films like Ghost Rider 1 & 2, Fantastic 4 Rise of The Silver Surfer, Fantastic 4 (2015), Elektra, Blade 3, Spider-Man 3, Catwoman, Wolverine Origins, X-Men: Last Stand, Green Lantern, Thor: The Dark World.

You can't be serious....

With films like Ghost Rider 1 & 2, Fantastic 4 Rise of The Silver Surfer, Fantastic 4 (2015), Elektra, Blade 3, Spider-Man 3, Catwoman, Wolverine Origins, X-Men: Last Stand, Green Lantern, Thor: The Dark World.

Agreed. IM3 is no where near the worst CBM.

I really liked IM3. And The Mandarin twist was the first time I had been shocked in a theater in quite a while. I wasn't even mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"