Thor: Ragnarok The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think Ragnarok makes a lot of sense - particularly given the association of Hela with stealing souls (I'm also starting to think the THANOS theory has merit, even if it was retroactively adopted after they saw it on the internet), I wouldn't completely discount Black Panther. In the comics, there was a thing called the Resurrection Altar, which used alien radiation to mutate people and give them powers. Erik Killmonger used it to build his army to fight Black Panther. I wouldn't be opposed to that happening if they wanted to (Thor, obviously, has had disproportionate dealings with Infinity Stones in the movies so far).

There's also always the possibility the final Stone is introduced in Infinity War itself.

Yeah I think basically, she was investigating the wormholes using "science"
and he just knows of it as the magically powered bifrost

so in his mind, in Asgard, science and magic are "the same"

Thor considers magic to be science because that is how it was explained to him. While Freya was patting him on his head.

Idk, based off the love for GoTG, I would expect it to make a good amount more than the original, and probably more than Ragnarok

but then Thor goes and gets Hulk, he gets the first female villain (Cate Blanchett no less), he gets a strange cameo, he gets a Valkyrie, and his movie will probably be the most direct lead in to IW, possibly featuring the final Infinity Stone.

So I really don't know. GoTG earned its fans, but Thor just seems so much more important to the overall MCU.

I'm thinking GOTW will. All I know for sure is that I can't wait for both of them!

While I think Ragnarok makes a lot of sense - particularly given the association of Hela with stealing souls (I'm also starting to think the THANOS theory has merit, even if it was retroactively adopted after they saw it on the internet), I wouldn't completely discount Black Panther. In the comics, there was a thing called the Resurrection Altar, which used alien radiation to mutate people and give them powers. Erik Killmonger used it to build his army to fight Black Panther. I wouldn't be opposed to that happening if they wanted to (Thor, obviously, has had disproportionate dealings with Infinity Stones in the movies so far).

I guess it's possible that the soul stone could be in Black Panther, but I just don't see it. Like others have pointed out, four of the infinity stones have at some stage been on earth and two still are. It just seems too much for there to be another one hanging around on earth, what's are the odds that one tiny little planet in such a vast universe would house three of the six infinity stones? I still think it's much more likely that either a) Hela or the Grandmaster will have it in Ragnarok, or b) it won't feature in any pre-IW movies but will first feature in IW itself.

I imagine Black Panther will be more of a contained movie with slightly smaller stakes. A bit of a 'breather' episode between Ragnarok and Infinity War if you will, just like Ant-Man was between Age of Ultron and Civil War.

When Thor says he comes from a world where magic and science are one and the same, I don't think he was literally saying magic isn't real and that Asgardians are just using really advanced tech. I thought he was saying that magic is understood like science is. Which would make sense of course; it stands to reason magic would have rules and studies just like any other discipline.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that thinks this, I had a whole long, drawn out argument with someone at another site about magic and it's existence in the MCU, prior to the release of Doctor Strange. They were convinced that there was and would be no real magic in the MCU (it would all be advanced 'magitech), Ragnarok was going to have no magical, mystical elements at all and Hela would be changed from being the the ruler of the Asgardian underworld to just a standard evil queen of another realm who wanted to take over Asgard, essentially taking away everything interesting about the character. :loco: Their reasoning was that Marvel would want to steer away from magic to appease China and their big 'no magic in movies' rule. I hope they're eating their words after Doctor Strange. :oldrazz:

Idk, based off the love for GoTG, I would expect it to make a good amount more than the original, and probably more than Ragnarok

but then Thor goes and gets Hulk, he gets the first female villain (Cate Blanchett no less), he gets a strange cameo, he gets a Valkyrie, and his movie will probably be the most direct lead in to IW, possibly featuring the final Infinity Stone.

So I really don't know. GoTG earned its fans, but Thor just seems so much more important to the overall MCU.

This. Right now I expect GotG to make more because the first movie was such a huge break-out success (and rightfully so, don't get me wrong - I adore GotG), but I'm hoping that Ragnarok will get awesome reviews and word of mouth and will end up doing wildly better than some people expect it to following the somewhat subdued reaction to TDW. Of course Justice League is released two weeks after Ragnarok which might hurt it's box office, but if Ragnarok is the better film (which come on, of course it's going to be :funny:), hopefully it will continue to have a really strong run after JL is released.

Ragnarok has everything going for it right now; an amazing director with a very unique vision, one of the (if not arguably the) best casts ever assembled for a CBM, some hugely popular characters and story arc inspirations and a studio that really seems to care about finally giving Thor the movie he's always deserved. Depending on the marketing, reviews and word of mouth, I truly believe Ragnarok has the potential to be huge. Let's cross our fingers! :yay:

Guys, I've been thinking.... what film will make more $$$ at the box office next year. Thor or GOTG Vol. 2?
Guardians of the Galaxy made 773 M$ worldwide.
Thor - The Dark World made 644 M$ worldwide.

GotG was praised by public and critics alike. It made a long lasting impression and it's sequel is highly antecipated. The music, the humor, space, the characters... Everything has build up the sequel to be a gigantic hit. The first one was a shoot in the dark for alot of people and still everyone ended up gravitating to the movie some way or another. Now people recognize the character and the world and will came in force to the theaters.

Thor 2 was kind of a let-down. It was not a worthy sucessor to the first one in my eyes. It's one of the worst movies in the MCU. It's very forgettable and was received in a mixed way for alot of people and critics.

Having said all of that i have no doubt GotG 2 will earn more in the box office than TR. In the end Thor is still a very popular character, Loki is a fan favourite, the Hulk is gonna attract alot of people and so is the best cast in a Marvel movie. Taika is a very funny and "warm" director that will probably just knock it over the park mixing his humor with Thor, Hulk... The action has everything to be bombastic looking at the forces involved and the acting will surelly be improved alot with heavy hitters as Cate Blanchett in a "grand" villain role that has been lacking in the MCU.

In the end my prediction would be:
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 1B $
Thor Ragnarok - 850 M$

I wish they had never even thought up that "magic is science" line in the first Thor.

Science
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
synonyms: branch of knowledge, body of knowledge/information/facts, area of study, discipline, field

a systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject.
"the science of criminology"

How is magic not a science?

This. Right now I expect GotG to make more because the first movie was such a huge break-out success (and rightfully so, don't get me wrong - I adore GotG), but I'm hoping that Ragnarok will get awesome reviews and word of mouth and will end up doing wildly better than some people expect it to following the somewhat subdued reaction to TDW. Of course Justice League is released two weeks after Ragnarok which might hurt it's box office, but if Ragnarok is the better film (which come on, of course it's going to be :funny:), hopefully it will continue to have a really strong run after JL is released.

Ragnarok has everything going for it right now; an amazing director with a very unique vision, one of the (if not arguably the) best casts ever assembled for a CBM, some hugely popular characters and story arc inspirations and a studio that really seems to care about finally giving Thor the movie he's always deserved. Depending on the marketing, reviews and word of mouth, I truly believe Ragnarok has the potential to be huge. Let's cross our fingers! :yay:

True. As long as Thor gets a great movie, I believe it will have an awesome box office!

Your English is great.

I just hope we don't have to wait until next May until we get a glimpse of the characters.

Your English is great.

I just hope we don't have to wait until next May until we get a glimpse of the characters.
I guess we'll probably get some tidbit of information until then.
Taika said in the thank you video he made for facebook that the "exclusive Ragnarok emblem" was going to be revealed soon and "what it really was". I actually noticed in the video that at least 5 persons had the same hat. I guess it's important somehow...

Other than that i doubt something big will drop. But we never know.

Last edited:
If Korg is in there, I hope he's a tad more formidable than the Kronan we saw in TDW. That being said, that guy was more in line with the Kronan folk Thor literally knocked blocks off initially in Journey into Mystery, not Korg as we saw in Planet Hulk who was near invulnerable.

If they give us a glimpse of Thor and Hulk fighting in gladiator gear in the trailer, I think that'll draw a ton of people and possibly put it over GOTG2. But right now, I think GOTG2 might gross more, even though Thor will be more important to the MCU. People love the Guardians.

With Valkrie and Hulk also in the movie we are this close to a 70s era Defenders team up! Marvel adding another proven cinematic A-lister to the cast should certainly help the film compete successfully with the offering from the Distinguished Competition opening later in the same month.

This really is turning into something crazy lol. Loads of my favourite characters in one place.

With Valkrie and Hulk also in the movie we are this close to a 70s era Defenders team up! Marvel adding another proven cinematic A-lister to the cast should certainly help the film compete successfully with the offering from the Distinguished Competition opening later in the same month.

the only 3 major absentees are Hercules, Silver Surfer, and Namor

wouldn't it be amazing if Norrin makes a cameo fighting gladiator hulk? as a nod that "yes sir, the F4 rights are back".

wouldn't it be amazing if Norrin makes a cameo fighting gladiator hulk? as a nod that "yes sir, the F4 rights are back".
I can see even these guys appearing in the MCU one day. It will gradually consume all the characters it originally gave away (maybe apart from X-Men) as this is the best stage for the majority of them.

Oh man, I couldn't even imagine that theater if Marvel successfully included Surfer and kept it a secret the whole time.

Just a whole buncha fanboys and girls, crying into their hulk hands at the sheer beauty of it

life isn't that good.

Namor and SS, yes. Hercules has never been a classic Defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"