Thor replaced by female Thor

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by roach, Jul 15, 2014.

1. roach

roach I am the night

2. roach

roach I am the night

3. roach

roach I am the night

In a follow-up press release, Jason Arron stressed that the new Thor is just that: Thor.

“This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before," Aaron said.

The new female Thor will launch in a new series with a new first issue, Thor #1, launching in the fall. Aaron will stay on as writer, joined by artist Russell Dauterman, coming off of Cyclops. The press release also says this is "a brand new female hero," seemingly putting to rest speculation that the newly-revealed sister of Thor, Angela, would take up the hammer.

I'm not sure how that works since Thor is the guys name not his title.

4. SuperheroMethod

I'm all for diversity but just randomly changing the sex of a character seems cynical. Doesn't this type of sensationalized shift draw attention to the different sex of the character rather than dismiss its importance? The character design looks great but it makes me think they didn't feel a female solo title would sell as well as simply altering an existing male title.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Superhero-Method/597522736975123
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/SuperheroMethod
    Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/superheromethod/
    Tumblr: http://thesuperheromethod.tumblr.com/

5. Colossal Spoons

Colossal Spoons Paper boi

Nope. Nope. Nope. :down:

6. piccolo

piccolo Doom is watching you

Well, one less book to read each month.

Had a lot of respect for Jason Aaron. Couldn't be more disappointed.

7. Hush

Hush Wee Little Puppet Man

This has to be the single dumbest idea I have read.

8. seahammer

seahammer Asgardian

Whoa! Gut reaction is negative, and I agree that this does feel like sensationalism, etc. However, I will try to post some positives:

1. Aaron is staying on. I think he really gets the character, AND he has written some good female supporting characters in his time on the title so far.
    2. "Thor" has been a lot of things. He was a frog. Mjolnir was wielded by a horse-faced alien who was initially an antagonist, as well as mortal Eric Masterson for quite some time. None of that was permanent, and in retrospect those were great stories that have contributed to the Thor mythos (regardless of backlash at the original time of publication). This won't be permanent either, and even if it lasts a year, that's just 12 issues out of HUNDREDS of issues in the overall Thor narrative. I don't mind that it's a woman... other than the gender this seems pretty similar to the Eric Masterson situation.
    3. I know this is just my opinion, and not everyone feels this way, but I personally LIKE stories that explore what it means to be "Worthy," and this story looks like it would address that.
    4. Thor isn't being cancelled, like he was in the 2000's for a couple of years. The status quo is being shaken up, but that can really great for the creatives who hold the reins.

I'm sure there are plenty of other positive spins to put on this as well, these are just a few that popped into my mind. If someone asked me what would be the ideal Thor story, would this be my answer? No way. But is it the end of the world? No. What I want are good Thor stories, and whether or not this will be a good story remains to be seen, but at least we have a writer who (by all appearances) loves and respects the character.

9. roach

roach I am the night

I like how they are praising this idea like it's revolutionary and never been done before

[​IMG]

10. piccolo

piccolo Doom is watching you

Have fun.

11. seahammer

seahammer Asgardian

^Haha, thanks, I'll try. Only time will tell how this pans out, so let's not get the pitchforks yet, that's all I'm really saying.

Here's Marvel's official press release:
    http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7/15/22875/marvel_proudly_presents_thor

Marvel is excited to announce an all-new era for the God of Thunder in brand new series, THOR, written by Jason Aaron complimented with art from Russell Dauterman.

This October, Marvel Comics evolves once again in one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of the “big three” of Captain America, Iron Man and Thor. No longer is the classic Thunder God able to hold the mighty hammer, Mjölnir, and a brand new female hero will emerge worthy of the name THOR.

Who is she? Where did she come from and what is her connection to Asgard and the Marvel Universe?

“The inscription on Thor's hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it's time to update that inscription,” says Marvel editor Wil Moss. “The new Thor continues Marvel's proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute - she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

Series writer Jason Aaron emphasizes, “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

THOR is the latest in the ever-growing and long list of female-centric titles that continues to invite new readers into the Marvel Universe. THOR will be the 8th title to feature a lead female protagonist and aims to speak directly to an audience that long was not the target for super hero comic books in America: women and girls.

12. Colossal Spoons

Everybody was guessing maybe Valkyrie or Tarene was getting a solo book. Did not see this coming. :(

13. seahammer

seahammer Asgardian

Also, "Unworthy Thor" looks pretty awesome, and this image indicates that we will still have the Thor that we've been following since 1963.

[​IMG]

14. Colossal Spoons

^That a new series? At least the dude's still around and has Jarnbjorn.

Well I'm glad they came out and said it. Good luck with that.

15. BLACKVULCAN

BLACKVULCAN Token Black Superfriend

whoaa baby! i think Corps1 is going flip his hammer over this! look what they done to his Thor!!
    though i think he looks kinda hot! eh! how about good stories and not sex changing shenanigans!

16. seahammer

seahammer Asgardian

I don't know if it's a new series, the image was put out with the press release. To me it indicates that he will still be part of the title, in some way.

But if the female Thor is "Thor," and is called "Thor," it will have to be explained how this "Thor" still exists, and what will we call him?

As I said before, I'm just hoping for a good story from this, but I'm not ready to call it quits on the title/author just yet. Looking for the positives, not just being an apologist...

17. Themanofbat

Themanofbat Never Mind the Buttocks...

Where's Donald Blake????

:cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

:csad:

18. Colossal Spoons

As much as I hate stories about fallen heroes needing to redeem themselves, I guess it's better than him just being completely absent.

19. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I'm trying to forget what Fraction did to him.

20. seahammer

seahammer Asgardian

Hey, maybe it will give us a chance to see Thor being a [email protected] anti-hero, doing some things he normally doesn't get the chance to do.

21. jonathancrane

Aaron's run on Thor: GOT has been stellar, so I'm willing to buy the first volume of the title, based on his work alone. Truth be told, this shakeup is not going to be permanent: Thor will be restored to the front of the comic by the time Thor 3 rolls out, or TA 2, at the absolute earliest. Changes such as these are going to create even more ******** fanboys, but it's not permanent; it's Superior Spider-Man, all over again. I pity Aaron and Marvel, as I bet my royalty check they're going to receive death threats over this.

22. jonathancrane

Also, my educated guess is that the new Thor is going to be Angela.

23. kane9321

kane9321 oakland's finest

Cool ...one less book i gotta buy

24. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

That's my question as well. What have they done before when Thor was dispossessed of Mjolnir?

I may give this a try but I still don't get why they can't introduce a new female hero without having to resort to using a recognized name to guide them into the Marvel universe.

25. herakles

herakles Well-Known Member

Jason Aaron is a MORON! Why not make Hulk or Wolverine a woman!! This is BS!