Thor: The Technology...what's the deal??

4NutzinYoface

Sidekick
Reaction score
LONG post I know, my apologies!

I absolutely loved the first film. It brought me back to being a little kid in the movie theatre that opening day back in 2011. It was filled with spectacle, action, humor, romance, had an operatic score & just all around epic feel to it. It was also acted & shot beautifully.

I especially loved the way Kenneth and co. explained Asgard. The way they explained how these other worlds with "Gods" of immense power could exist. Thor's explanation about the melding of sciene & magic & how he comes from a place where they are one in the same was brilliant to me.

My question is I suppose directed at fans who know Thor's Universe and its inhabitants inside & out. People who've read & followed the comics. I've obviously know of some of the key players & characters from the world for years but with the coming of Thor The Dark World I've seen something I've never seen in the first film. Starships and laser cannons, weapons that shoot & fire what seem to be pulse energy blasts.

I know Thor can decimate and fry people with his electricity from his hammer but what of the rest of his warriors? The Asgardian Soldiers & Sif and everyone else seem to have midevil themed weaponry and ride horsies & stuff lol wouldn't that be difficult to go up against Malekith the Dark Elves who've got like a Galactic Empire sort of situation? I know it's hardly an Ewoks vs the Empire scenario but it still makes me wonder, does Asgard CHOOSE to not use these energy weapons? Do they opt to ride horses & ponies & **** around while other realms use actual ships to get to their destination? Is the Bifrost portal the only method of transportation for them and other realms or..?

I just wanted to know if in Thor's history it's always been a case of them having this advanced shall we say, alien technology & just limiting the use or is all of this new tech inspired by the sequel?

Thanks!

:awesome:

LONG post I know, my apologies!

I absolutely loved the first film. It brought me back to being a little kid in the movie theatre that opening day back in 2011. It was filled with spectacle, action, humor, romance, had an operatic score & just all around epic feel to it. It was also acted & shot beautifully.

I especially loved the way Kenneth and co. explained Asgard. The way they explained how these other worlds with "Gods" of immense power could exist. Thor's explanation about the melding of sciene & magic & how he comes from a place where they are one in the same was brilliant to me.

My question is I suppose directed at fans who know Thor's Universe and its inhabitants inside & out. People who've read & followed the comics. I've obviously know of some of the key players & characters from the world for years but with the coming of Thor The Dark World I've seen something I've never seen in the first film. Starships and laser cannons, weapons that shoot & fire what seem to be pulse energy blasts.

I know Thor can decimate and fry people with his electricity from his hammer but what of the rest of his warriors? The Asgardian Soldiers & Sif and everyone else seem to have midevil themed weaponry and ride horsies & stuff lol wouldn't that be difficult to go up against Malekith the Dark Elves who've got like a Galactic Empire sort of situation? I know it's hardly an Ewoks vs the Empire scenario but it still makes me wonder, does Asgard CHOOSE to not use these energy weapons? Do they opt to ride horses & ponies & **** around while other realms use actual ships to get to their destination? Is the Bifrost portal the only method of transportation for them and other realms or..?

I just wanted to know if in Thor's history it's always been a case of them having this advanced shall we say, alien technology & just limiting the use or is all of this new tech inspired by the sequel?

Thanks!

:awesome:

Watch the new exclusive moviefone clip on YouTube ..... they have energy weapons. The ones they show are for anti-aircraft and they also have aircraft of their own.

Watch the new exclusive moviefone clip on YouTube ..... they have energy weapons. The ones they show are for anti-aircraft and they also have aircraft of their own.

Oh cool ok :)

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check that out.

I guess in battle the Asgardians, Sif & Warriors Three opt for a more traditional approach with horses, "old" weaponry.

They're all pretty damn tough either way ;)

Bare in mind that Asgardians are rather bricky. Wielding a high tech melee weapon designed to exploit your strength is likely the highest firepower option available for any Asgardian not deeply into sorcery.

Bare in mind that Asgardians are rather bricky. Wielding a high tech melee weapon designed to exploit your strength is likely the highest firepower option available for any Asgardian not deeply into sorcery.

If I'm not into sorcery I'd still want the highest powered, accurate and manageable rifle I could get my hands on before a melee weapon even if I was very strong - if they are available. Well, if I wanted to win a war rather than show off.

(unless the enemy was immune to high powered rifles ;)

For Asgardians it's probably viable to keep using melee weapons since they are so tough. If it was still viable we'd probably have seen cultures keep that kind of warfare even today, for example Japanese samurai. Here it's not that useful though since we have accurate firing arms and bombs and no good defense against them.

Fighting wars these days doesn't take nearly the courage it used to.

I think it`s combination of the fact that Asgardians are thought and strong enough to do all kind of warfare the way frail races are unable + super long life span (5000~years as it was told in movie) make them have really strong habits.

Mixing technology and fantasy has pretty much been common in fictional movies for a long time. There's something pretty challenging and original when you mix technology with magical elements, the challenge being the task of making it all work pretty seamlessly and not come out too cheesy. Movies of my childhood, like Krull used this premise.

Not to mention a RPG game called Too Human. :D It's magic and Tech merged!

If I'm not into sorcery I'd still want the highest powered, accurate and manageable rifle I could get my hands on before a melee weapon even if I was very strong - if they are available. Well, if I wanted to win a war rather than show off.

(unless the enemy was immune to high powered rifles ;)

You have your answer right there, more or less. A ranged weapon is no advantage if it doesn't hurt your opponent, and while the Asgardians have advanced tech to make their ranged weapons, they also have advanced tech to make their armor, too. I suspect that Asgardian guns of generic nature ( ie, not stuff like Gungnir, which is probably dependent on innate magical power anyway ) don't have enough oomph to overwhelm the combined innate+armor defenses of equally powerful opponents.

Even in the comics of the 80s and 90s, Asgardians had some futuristic weapons (although most of the uses swords, axes, spears etc.).

I remember one of those comics where Thor fights a group of trolls, and one troll has some kind of energy gun, while all other trolls have clubs and maces.

Or one story showed the city of Asgard having heavy energy cannons for defense, just like in the film.

I found the Asgard defence cannons and flying skiffs to be totally out of place.

This is a sword and shield and horseriding culture, yet they have guns? why not build rifles if you have the tech to do so?

We do see their shields able to deflect and absorb the dark elves technology so I suspect their armor is also capable of being energy resistant, hence the need to go melee style.

I found the Asgard defence cannons and flying skiffs to be totally out of place.

This is a sword and shield and horseriding culture, yet they have guns? why not build rifles if you have the tech to do so?

Probably in part because they can handle being in melee anyway and it's a macho culture. War has become increasingly unmanly with technological advances here on Earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"