Thor Villains for Ragnorok and Beyond

Mike Murdock

Avenger
Reaction score
I feel like Thor has among the strongest villains of the current Marvel studios characters. What villains would you like to see in Thor 3? What villains would you like to see in some future movie? What villains would you like to join Lorelei and the Absorbing Man on Agents of SHIELD?

In Ragnorok, I expect Surtur to be the main villain. But is there anyone else you want? The Midgard Serpent? Hela? Amora the Enchantress (and, presumably, Skurge)? What about for the future? Karnilla (a good way to bring Balder the Brave into the mix)?

My fear is this'll be the last Thor movie. Otherwise, I'd suggest even holding off on Amora (alternatively, cast Amora, but leave her alive and save her for a future role of lead villain).

Without wishing to sound like a hater, Surtur will probably be a means to an end like most MCU villains and get killed off at the end of the movie. Loki will be the main focus where "villainy" is concerned due to his popularity. Amora may well appear, since they've already introduced her sister in AoS.

This probably will be the last Thor movie with Hemsworth (unless he renews his contract). That's unlikely, because I think Marvel want Phase 4 and beyond to be about "new" characters such as Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, Scarlet Witch etc. Infinity War Part 2 will most likely be the last time we see Downey as IM, Johansson as Widow, Hemsworth as Thor etc IMO.

I'd LOVE to see Amora and Skurge (the fact that they haven't even been hinted at so far annoys me). But given how Marvel handles most of their non-Loki film villains (Malekith being perhaps the most egregious example) and how they've so underused the CURRENT Asgardian cast through TWO films now, I fear that they wouldn't get the proper development/respect that they deserve.

Ditto on Surtur, who I'd also really like to see.

I feel like Amora has potential to be the next Loki, though. Just a fun character who doesn't necessarily have to be a villain.

Surtur is probably going to be along the lines of Malekith, though. Maybe a more badass version, but really just a scary powerful force and nothing more.

Oh she's definitely got that potential alright. I just question Marvel's willingness to do it. Heck Malekith in the comics is enjoyable in a Joker-esque "darkly funny sadist/psychopath" kind of way. And that would have been entertaining to see onscreen, and they cast the perfect actor for it. But instead they gave him little screentime and made him as boring/bland as possible. I fear that Amora would suffer the same fate.

Definitely Amora...but I doubt Marvel will introduce her with the right actress in mind. :(

I feel like Viva Bianca is THE right choice for Enchantress.

I think Hela and Surtur should be the main baddies of Ragnarok, with Thanos in a supporting role. I would like Enchantress and Executioner to be saved for a Thor 4 (with Loki in the supporting villain role).

I'd love for both Enchantress/Amora and Hela to show up this time...

I could see them going with/trying to get Cate Blanchett for Hela and someone like Natalie Dormer for Enchantress.

I think, we see Thanos as the main villian - and not Surtur! Unfortunatelly..
Supporting villians may be The Enchantress (plus Skurge) and Loki.

I wanted to see Surtur, The Midgard Serpent etc. plus Beta Ray Bill at the side of Thor - but i think, that won`t happen.
Thanos said "He will do it by himself", so he will try to get the gems and gauntlet...

After Thor 3 - i hope, that they will continue with him and i like to see the Wrecking Crew :)

I hope we still get Surtur, but it's looking unlikely now. If we did get him it might feel overstuffed (depending on the size of Grandmaster's role). There are possibilities, though.

Maybe Grandmaster's role is only the size of Collector's role in GOTG, and maybe Surtur is more of a force of nature that is unleashed rather than a real character (which wouldn't be ideal).

Has Surtur been confirmed?

I'm starting to wonder if we will see him this time around. idk how many Thor movies Hemsworth is contracted for, but I could see them trying to decompress this into several more installments.

If this movie is more about Ragnarok/end of the realms with Hela at the fore, she might be prophesying the rise of Surtur and we could be left waiting for Surtur the next time around.

Amora and Surtur may be saved for his 4-quel, similarly to the true Mandarin for Iron Man 4 and the true Zemo for Cap 4.

This film needs to be careful if it doesn't want to end up being overstuffed. Both Whedon and the Russos did an amazing job with Avengers and CW respectively but that's the exception not the rule. More often than not juggling lots of characters causes a film to suffer. Thor needs some stronger characterization this go around.

If it came down to either Hela or Surtur I'm glad we're getting Hela. She plays a pretty key role in the events of Ragnarok and brings the opportunity to make this conflict more unusual and the stakes more personal in nature vs. yet another end of the world apocalypse type scenario. Further, I don't want Surtur as some mere force of nature. He is crafty and sinister and deserves some actual character development instead of just being some big CGI monster to be felled. Thor can fight Jormungand for something like that.

Thor has so many untapped villains even beyond Surtur... Amora, Mangog, Ymir, Gorr, Ego, Zarrko, Fafnir, Ulik, Karnilla, Desak, the Enchanters, the Wrecking Crew, Seth, Pluto, Ares, etc. etc. Hemsworth is a good actor but hasn't seen a tremendous amount of success outside of the Marvel films. He was born to play Thor. If he's smart he'll negotiate a way to keep playing this character for awhile. He's always said as long as he is able to simultaneously pursue diverse acting opportunities he's happy to play Thor for as long as fans will want him to. I hope they will keep making Thor films but a lot is riding on Ragnarok. The longevity of this franchise depends on the success of this next film.

I'm starting to like the idea more and more.

Phase 3 to many probably seems like an ending point. But to Marvel fans, we know it's only the next step.

They can take these movies to infinity and beyond. (god that worked really well there)

lol expect those jokes to fly fast and loose as Infinity war approaches..

Has Surtur been confirmed?

No and, if I were a betting man, I'd say he probably won't be. But I would like him. To me, this is Ragnorok. The end of the world involves Surtur.

I'm starting to wonder if we will see him this time around. idk how many Thor movies Hemsworth is contracted for, but I could see them trying to decompress this into several more installments.

If this movie is more about Ragnarok/end of the realms with Hela at the fore, she might be prophesying the rise of Surtur and we could be left waiting for Surtur the next time around.

Amora and Surtur may be saved for his 4-quel, similarly to the true Mandarin for Iron Man 4 and the true Zemo for Cap 4.

It's possible and I wouldn't be opposed to it. My complaint is that it's Ragnarok. To me, I would have preferred movie three to be about Hela but not Ragnarok and then movie four would be Ragnarok with Surtur and the Midgard Serpent and Balder dying and all that.

bludgeon-and-banzaitron-marvel-uk-annual.jpg

Me waiting for The Enchantress to show up.

Surtur, Enchantress, not really a villain but they need a team up film with Beta Ray Bill. The Serpwnt of Midgars would also be very epic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"