Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Just to interject some anecdotal evidence:

Starting this Friday, Thor had a pretty drastic drop in number of screens in the greater Boston area. There were pretty much 5 theater choices for 3D showings, and about 3 choices for 2D, some of those only 1 showing per day. (Things are not looking good for my hope that it'll still be on a screen somewhere when Captain America comes out.)

However, I went to one of those 9pm-only 2D showings last night (viewing #4 for me :woot:), and was interested to find that we had between 50-60 people in the theater for it. I wasn't expecting that many.

It was also a really good cross-section of demographics (sub-title: People-Watching is Fun). There was a smattering of families with under-12 kids there, but also several teens or early-20s singles; a bunch of 20s/30s/40s couples and singles; a woman in her 20s who had brought her mother (or friend in her 50s, whichever); and (notable to me because they sat right behind me), a sort of "double date" group in their 50s or 60s who didn't physically look like geeks but who were (going by their comments) very comics knowledgeable and having a grand time (they still didn't like the FX quality in the Green Lantern trailer; they are totally up for Cowboys & Aliens and Cap; I should say that all of their audible commentary was confined to pre- and post-movie, but there was a lot of audible reaction to the film). More than half the people in the audience (including the older group) stayed for the post-credits scene.

Man, I would have LOVED to know how many of the people in there were repeat viewers.

Last edited:
Should of stood up at the endings credits and asked everyone. :D

These films are usually in theaters for about 100 days/3 months. So it'll likely still be playing somewhere when Cap is released. Good luck finding one though. ;)

Probably'll be down to only 100 screens nationwide by that time.

yeah I wonder if the theaters here still even have Thor

Yeah, my local Omniplex barely had it for 4 weeks. Same for IM2.

Should of stood up at the endings credits and asked everyone. :D

:funny: He so should have.

It's still playing in 2D at my local theater. I'm real curious though if it will still be here on Friday when Green Lantern opens.................

Hopefully Thor will reach 180 M by next Monday, now it's estimated at 173/174 Million.

hopefully it'll make more than 30 M in Japan, getting to 460 Million ww seems reachable...

It's all good!
The numbers have been fine.
I think a Thor sequel is a sure thing!

Pretty much all the theaters have at least 1 screen of 2D with about 2 to 4 viewings daily here in South Florida.

I just check the surrounding areas within 20 miles and there are three theaters two with 4 showings each, one with 2 showings of the 2d.

Yeah, down here its about 14 theaters still showing Thor.

I'm with a number of you guys. I'm hoping to catch a double feature when Captain America comes out. As of now Thor is still playing on 1-2 screens in the theaters that have more than 10 screens, which is about 5-6 theaters. The largest one has 27 screens and it's still on 2 screens there. I'm hoping in 4 weeks when Cap hits it'll still be one of their small 150 seater screens so I can catch both in the same complex.

Yeah we have two multiplexes here in town owned by Malco, and each has 12 screens I hope they do the same thing or at least move Thor too the older theater where it didn't open at.

$173,664,723 Domestic and $431,664,723 WW so far(though I don't think the OS weekend #'s for it have been added yet).

I can't wait to see what Thor ends up at world wide.

So how much is Japan expected to tack on? How much more are we hoping for dom at the end, another 5-8 mil?

i have no idea how it will perform in Japan, but i know pirates made 62 Million and Black swan made about 21 M, so if Thor is anywhere in between there, then it should do about 30-35 M, but then again this is just my guess lols. if it makes more than 30, then it should cross the 450 M mark easily.

i have no idea how it will perform in Japan, but i know pirates made 62 Million and Black swan made about 21 M, so if Thor is anywhere in between there, then it should do about 30-35 M, but then again this is just my guess lols. if it makes more than 30, then it should cross the 450 M mark easily.

It's gonna cross that even without Japan's number's, so I think Japan's number are gone push Thor to about 480M-490M.

You're leaving out Sherlock Holmes 2 and Mission Impossible 4.

For a few reasons.
1) They are going to destroy each other, out in the same week
2) Not Summer movies, hence why I also didn't include Breaking Dawn

Even with those included, there is still a good chance. Something like GL has a credible breakout opportunity but we are all nervous about that.

Thor needs Japan to hit $450M, it's practically finished in all the other OS countries and has about $10M in the tank left in the US. In fact it needs to do better than the Iron Man movies in Japan to hit $450M

Yeah let's hope Thor does well in Japan. I just hope things aren't too bad there still for them to see Thor.

Thor needs Japan to hit $450M, it's practically finished in all the other OS countries and has about $10M in the tank left in the US. In fact it needs to do better than the Iron Man movies in Japan to hit $450M

Nah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"