Thor's box office competition - Part 2

definitely japan is a big boost, black swan i think made 21 M dollars there, and im sure Thor will make more than that, pirates made more than 62 M I think so far.

No it won't. Thor is pretty much running on fumes now. Pirates 4 killed any momentum it might have had overseas. It took a massive hit. Japan isn't going to be that much of a boost either. IM and IM2 made $8,658,784 and $12,831,962 thererespectively.That's more or less the range you should expect. It'll be losing alot of screens in the coming weeks. It's not making another $67 million at this stage.

It's a success regardless.

Please explain your reasoning. There is no evidence whatsoever to support it won't do what I say. It's making crap all OS now, it's completely done. It's also running on fumes DOM. It genuinely is impossible for it to hit $450M w/o Japan, even with Japan there's a strong chance it won't hit it.

No it won't. Thor is pretty much running on fumes now. Pirates 4 killed any momentum it might have had overseas. It took a massive hit. Japan isn't going to be that much of a boost either. IM and IM2 made $8,658,784 and $12,831,962 thererespectively.That's more or less the range you should expect. It'll be losing alot of screens in the coming weeks. It's not making another $67 million at this stage.

It's a success regardless.
Well I think GL had SOMETHING to do with Thor's drop too but it may bounce back after all the bad reviews.

16 M to go before it hits 450 M ww.

about 5 M to go before it hits 180 M domestically, by Monday or Tuesday hopefully it reaches that.

btw, i just watched GL, it was a mediocre film, i regretted watching it, but I had no choice as kungfu panda and pirates were not showing in the mall I was in

Yeah I'm still waiting on more GL Fan reviews. The critic's typically hate everything

it was just bleh, except for a few funny jokes. and the constructs were WTF andthe last battle was just laughable, also the one with carol when parallax was coming was moronic at best, ill just not go into detail what happened lols.

16 M to go before it hits 450 M ww.

about 5 M to go before it hits 180 M domestically, by Monday or Tuesday hopefully it reaches that.

btw, i just watched GL, it was a mediocre film, i regretted watching it, but I had no choice as kungfu panda and pirates were not showing in the mall I was in

That's a bit soon. I think it will get between $1.5-2M this weekend, an extra $1-1.5M through next week.

I'm surprised Iron Man didn't do spectacularly in Japan. He's a giant robot!

That's a bit soon. I think it will get between $1.5-2M this weekend, an extra $1-1.5M through next week.

I'm surprised Iron Man didn't do spectacularly in Japan. He's a giant robot!

Japan hates American superheroes.

Maybe Thor will be fine. He's a European superhero :p

Friday estimates are not good by the way. Thor actually made less today than yesterday! Down 13%, maybe GL took the last of its 3D screens?

Maybe Thor will be fine. He's a European superhero :p

Friday estimates are not good by the way. Thor actually made less today than yesterday! Down 13%, maybe GL took the last of its 3D screens?

What did you expect? lol Thor is down to 875 screens.

But it was not alone in losing screens like that. Its the only movie in the top 15 that made a loss on Friday compared to Thursday. There needs to be a specific reason for that.

GL deserves to be hated though. It really is god awful.
Yeah I do go by what fans say over a Critic, tho I do want to see it just because. lol
I loved the look of it over all, but I just don't recall Hal ever having a humorous side. I do remember Green Arrow having one tho. It's been YEARS since I have even looked at either comic book really.

Last edited:
I'm hoping Japan will help even with the problems they have there I'm hoping they'll go see a film to escape those problems for awhile.

But it was not alone in losing screens like that. Its the only movie in the top 15 that made a loss on Friday compared to Thursday. There needs to be a specific reason for that.
Classes closing for the year maybe?
I mean some college people are at that point right now. Moving back home for the summer and all.

It wouldn't surprise me if people going to the theater yesterday decided that if they wanted to see a superhero film, they'd check out GL instead of Thor. The question is, how big a drop-off is GL going to have, and will Thor bounce back at all?

I went to see GL in the afternoon yesterday, at a downtown theater with like 20 screens, and Thor was down to 1 6pm show. (Still, I am eyeing it for next week, when a friend is in town who might want to see it.)

(I didn't find GL to be as huge a trainwreck as I was expecting, although I would not call it a good movie. It wasn't the worst film/biggest disappointment I've seen this summer; that's still POTC4. I did think the script and pacing was poor, which worked against my coming away from it with an overall feeling of "fun". And lord... people are complaining about the various big end fights in Marvel movies? The end fight in GL was... perfunctory. But RR's performance I enjoyed the entire way through. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a sequel if it has a decent script for crying out loud.)

So for those who have seen Green Lantern, will someone like me who has never read the comic (I've just read Thor, X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, Captain America, and the Avengers) understand what's going on in the film? I keep reading that the script is a mess in GL.............

Last edited:
I've never read the comic, although I've read JLA comics including GLs, and seen the various cartoon series that included a GL character. To be honest, I would think you could follow it easily so long as you grok the basic concept of what Green Lantern is, and what his powers are. Even if you've only mainly read Marvel comics, you're used to the conventions of comics superheroes, so it shouldn't be difficult.

The movie itself opens with a (IMO) clunky prologue that flat-out tells you the background of the Green Lantern Corps. (I thought it was even clunkier than the background dump at the start of Thor -- which the script at least then framed as Odin telling the story to Thor and Loki as children, which excused it for me a bit.) The rest just isn't that hard to grasp, and there are several other "we're just going to TELL you" bits.

The parts that may confuse you are parts that are going to confuse a lot of people, because of poor scripting and editing choices.

Yeah I was planning on Seeing GL today too might not NOW tho. Had to go to the Cell phone store and look at some cheaper cells with better Pic capability without a danged contract. Heard some good deals on the radio the other night.

Okay, I just got back from seeing GL. Oh dear..............it's not "god awful," but I thought it definitely has a lot of problems with script. The theater was about half full. Most of the crowd at my showing were parents and children.

Thor is still playing, but down to two showings in the evening.

too bad thor is not showing here anymore would like to watch it again :woot:

i thought the final batte scene in GL was funny, and not funny in a good way lols

I kinda liked the final battle in GL, especially the way he ended it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"