Thor's box office competition - Part 2

It'll lose another 200-300 screens.

still tho I'm a bit surprised he's hung on THIS long really. For not being as popular as IM or Cap he's done dang well all around.

Oh so thor will be around 177 M in Monday, guess it will probably reach a week before it hits close to 178 :whatever:

Me, personally. I think they're waiting on what Cap does in the BO before announciung sequel dates. In 2013, all we have confirmed is IM3. Marvel likely will have a 2nd film that year, and I think Thor 2 and Cap 2 would be likely choices, but which comes first? I think Marvel is waiting to see Cap's BO returns before deciding that. I think both get sequels, but they won't be officially announced until Marvel sees Cap's returns.

This is why I don't want Cap to make more at the BO than Tho, although I still want to see Cap do well (maybe BB or SR numbers).

i hope cap does do well. whatever money is made will only be put back into making more marvel studios films. it's the same company. wanting one to do less than the other is not the way to go here. you will still get a sequel for both.

Exactly. Bigthor that post made no sense. They both will get sequels because they both made or will make money. I'm still hoping that Thor crosses at least the $180M mark but I don't think it will cross $450M WW. Still it did great to be a little known property. Marvel has done great with all it's properties mixing great action with humor. I'm hoping Cap is written in the same vein but it doesn't appear that way. The only thing that has me worried is the director. I have no hope in Joe Johnston at all. I'm hoping that Marvel is involved in every way with Cap.

This is why I don't want Cap to make more at the BO than Tho, although I still want to see Cap do well (maybe BB or SR numbers).

Both are going to get sequels. Who cares who goes first, lol? I'm very confident in Cap's BO that it will do about the same (give or take a few mil) as Thor.

heh don't forget the Avengers in between those sequels

Marvel would be fools not to greenlight sequels for both. If everyone who went to see Iron Man went to see Avengers and liked one of the other characters that is a whole lot of change that could be added to the potential BO for Thor and Cap, not to mention DVD change.

Agreed. Thor and Cap will get major boosts post-Avengers. I think given the good WOM from Thor's solo, the likely good WOM from Cap's solo, and The Avengers boost, Thor 2 and Cap 2 will be beasts.

^ Agreed. I expect Cap will do roughly Thor's numbers, which would set up Avengers perfectly. Spinning out of that film there will be a lot of momentum for Cap and Thor sequels.

Regardless, Cap succeeding (and even putting up better numbers than Thor) will not hurt Thor's chances for a sequel at this point. Even considered as a standalone movie, Thor's numbers more than justify a sequel by themselves, and his role in the Avengers simply reinforces that.

Thor was always the biggest risk and potential pitfall leading up to Avengers. It was the property that could easily be botched on the creative side and/or fail to connect with an audience. Marvel studios has to be ecstatic. Cap should, at the very least, be a modest success, so a very big gamble is about to pay off in a big way.

When the Avengers Assemble, we may experience the greatest moment in the history of geekdom. Seriously, my inner 13 year-old couldn't be more excited at this point. The first trailer may blow up the internet.

Last edited:
Yeah I hope the two 2nd films are even better in their own ways.

Thor was always the biggest risk and potential pitfall leading up to Avengers. It was the property that could easily be botched on the creative side and/or fail to connect with an audience. Marvel studios has to be ecstatic.

I so agree with this. And Hemsworth was pretty much an "unknown" unless you had seen Abrams Star Trek. Cap will do fine. I certainly plan to go see the film.

Even if you've seen Star Trek, he's in it for a very powerful 5 minutes but he doesn't look anything like Thor.

Yeah I hope the two 2nd films are even better in their own ways.

Same. I am hoping Marvel learned their lesson from IM2's downgrade in quality and we'll get phenominal sequels to Thor and Cap :up:

I think I'm gonna watch Thor one more time tomorrow, before it leaves theaters. It's down to like 3 or 4 showings per day at my local theater, which means it's on its way out.

Yeah I might do the same. I'm off tomorrow.

Same. I am hoping Marvel learned their lesson from IM2's downgrade in quality and we'll get phenominal sequels to Thor and Cap :up:
Both just have so much more to explore.
Thor has all the other worlds and Myth, Cap has all kinds of history, Just hopefully we get some great scripts

I want all marvel-based cb movies to succeed :yay: however, i would want marvel to get back the rights to the xmen, despite the quality of FC, i want them (marvel studios) to completely reboot it and change anna paquin :whatever: I want rogue with ms. marvel powers :awesome: and hopefully cameos by blink :woot: wouldnt it be nice to have an avengers vs. xmen movie? it can be based on the LS of old.

Thor2 should i think have a bigger budget and hopefully more mythical creatures and hopefully a longer running length, i found Thor1 too short! :oldrazz:

now that hemsworth has made a name for himself, marvel too should improve on their marketing and promotion for the sequel.

I havent heard any news of any promotion in Japan, last stop and they should promote there

Both just have so much more to explore.
Thor has all the other worlds and Myth, Cap has all kinds of history, Just hopefully we get some great scripts

I really can't wait to see where they go with both. I def want to see other realms in Thor sequels. It'd be a waste to only use Midgard and Asgard in Thor sequels. There is just so much to explore in Thor's world. I would guess the Enchantress will be involved in the next Thor film, but the opportunities are endless!

^ I think it's safe to say we will see one other world, though probably only one, and then maybe another if there is a third movie. There's really no need for more than that.

In the comics, Thor mostly operates on Earth and Asgard, and then in outer space for the cosmic stories. He doesn't actually spend that much time in the other realms, many of which have been pretty underused over the years.

I'd like to see Hel (and Hela), with Muspelheim and Surtur being the second choice that comes to mind.

For Cap, a Winter Soldier sequel seems pretty likely, with scenes in modern times as well as flashbacks, as in the comic.

Yeah I agree Flemm. Hel will more than likely make an appearance in some way or another. Tho I really think that Somehow Enchantress and Executioner will make an appearance probably more or less helping Loki as in the EMH series if He's caught and banished by Thor and Odin in Avengers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"