Thor's box office competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have hope for Thor. The CGI looked amazing in the teaser.

True, and the effects aren't even finished in the teaser trailer. I hear a new trailer is coming out at the end of this month and it's gonna have more finalized effects.

I honestly think Thor will be successful, with the right word of mouth, it can do Iron Man numbers.

for a right word of mouth, the movie has to be epic.

So lets hope its really EPIC.

True, and the effects aren't even finished in the teaser trailer. I hear a new trailer is coming out at the end of this month and it's gonna have more finalized effects.

Really? I mean don't get me wrong that would be awsome but it seems a little soon to release the 2nd trailer.

Maybe a new SUper Bowl Spot, but that would be 30 seconds.

Really? I mean don't get me wrong that would be awsome but it seems a little soon to release the 2nd trailer.

Maybe a new SUper Bowl Spot, but that would be 30 seconds.

Yeah but seeing as "Thor" might be a hard movie to see I think they're amping up the promotion

Comic book readers are actually a pretty small group compared to the general movie going audience. I know quite a few people who enjoy comic book movies ,but dont and have never read the comic book versions.

Most people who go to the movie just want to be entertained for a couple hours, and audiences love their eye candy (which Thor should deliver on) - so I dont see why both wont do decent business.

Fantasy movies have done pretty well in the past few years, so I think Thor will be ok.

Considering the political climate, and the patriotic nature of the main character,I think Cap will do very well too.

heh I know the comic book community is small from when Ang Lee's Hulk came out. I was arguing with a lady that was dead set that the TV show Hulk was out before comics, until I brought in an old Comicbook. :D

I was arguing with a lady that was dead set that the TV show Hulk was out before comics, until I brought in an old Comicbook.
Good Job.

Thor is going to be #1 for two weeks in a row. Fast 5 isn't going to phase it. That movie will debut well but be heavily frontloaded.
Thor kicks off summer. The last 3yrs in a row a Marvel Comics film has opened the first week of May and done at least $85m for the 3day opening weekend.

Marvel films in total have opened 6 films there and FIVE of them have crossed $200m, XM:OWolverine being the exception and lets face it most see that as a 4th film anyway.

THOR is a lock for $200m as I see it.

Thor is going to be #1 for two weeks in a row. Fast 5 isn't going to phase it. That movie will debut well but be heavily frontloaded.

Well idk about that because the Fast & Furious franchise is pretty successful and well established.

Last edited:
Yeah but how many times can you see F&F? lol I understand it's a different film every time But Thor's newer, if They advertise right they can reach all kinds of people.
I see this film attracting people from the Potter films, LotR films, Hero films and even the Game films where I personally have never really wanted to see any of the F&F films. The only one I've seen was on the boob tube. lol

Well idk about that because the Fast & Furious franchise is a pretty successful and well established.

Well... having the Rock in yer movie isn't exactly going to help.

IN all honesty having the Rock and Vin in the same movie would have been huge like... 5 years ago.... not it will seem a bit tired.

Well idk about that because the Fast & Furious franchise is a pretty successful and well established.

Help me out with your thinking?
Fast & Furious (the 4th entry) opened in April to $70m and it had the blockbuster franchise drop off of 61% scoring only $27m it's second week.
Even doing rough inflation and giving Fast 5 a $75 or 80m opener shows it's going to have a near 60% drop.

Are you saying THOR isn't going to open to AT LEAST $40m? That's the only way THOR isn't #1 for two weeks. Fast5 would have to stay nearly flat and THOR would have to have the worst opener for a Marvel movie in 3years opening the first week of May.

I don't see that scenario playing out.

Thor kicks off summer. The last 3yrs in a row a Marvel Comics film has opened the first week of May and done at least $85m for the 3day opening weekend.

Marvel films in total have opened 6 films there and FIVE of them have crossed $200m, XM:OWolverine being the exception and lets face it most see that as a 4th film anyway.

THOR is a lock for $200m as I see it.

That's how I see it too,mate.

Is $200m going to be considered a success? What was the budget for Thor?

Is $200m going to be considered a success? What was the budget for Thor?
No one knows yet. They are still working on the film, polishing the CGI etc.
My guess is it's around $150 at least. They spent $140 on the first Iron Man.

It will likely do about that in the foreign markets. Thor doing around $400m World Wide would be a success I'd think. One could argue degrees but I'm not getting into hair splitting. Hair splitting is for haters I've found.

Doing around 400-450 M Worldwide is pretty possible and would be great.
If it makes more than that,it will be even better.:up:

Help me out with your thinking?
Fast & Furious (the 4th entry) opened in April to $70m and it had the blockbuster franchise drop off of 61% scoring only $27m it's second week.
Even doing rough inflation and giving Fast 5 a $75 or 80m opener shows it's going to have a near 60% drop.

Are you saying THOR isn't going to open to AT LEAST $40m? That's the only way THOR isn't #1 for two weeks. Fast5 would have to stay nearly flat and THOR would have to have the worst opener for a Marvel movie in 3years opening the first week of May.

I don't see that scenario playing out.

My bad, I thought Fast 5 came out a week AFTER "Thor" not before

I was wrong :(

But Thor's newer, if They advertise right they can reach all kinds of people.
I see this film attracting people from the Potter films, LotR films, Hero films and even the Game films.

I sure hope this is the case Vartha, that would be the best outcome :word:

It will be interesting to see how Thor does in its first weekend. It's unlike any other super hero movie the public has seen up until this point. I think that Captain America will do better in the long run but I could be wrong.

It will be interesting to see how Thor does in its first weekend. It's unlike any other super hero movie the public has seen up until this point. I think that Captain America will do better in the long run but I could be wrong.

I'm almost sure that Thor will do better "world wide", which is more important than being successful in North America alone.

Althought im not sure which movie will do better in North America, it really all depends on the marketing of each film. Thor's character is fairly unknown to the GA, but that name "THOR" is well known so im sure it will also attract ppl who don't know who he actually is.

Last edited:
Yeah I tend to agree BT.
Cap my do well in countries we do well with but I doubt it'll top Thor by a whole lot.
First Avenger should do well with the Fourth of July still fresh in the U.S. but I wonder about the rest of the world.

Yeah I tend to agree BT.
Cap my do well in countries we do well with but I doubt it'll top Thor by a whole lot.
First Avenger should do well with the Fourth of July still fresh in the U.S. but I wonder about the rest of the world.

Exactly, countries like Germany whose Nazi group are villains in Caps movie might not take to his film.

Thor doesn't really have problems like that, but Thor has the fantasty element and Cap has the military element. So both of those movies have other selling points besides the superhero genre.

Here's to hoping that both of them GREATLY exceed their expectations :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"