Thor's box office competition

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Still A ThorFan, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tacit Ronin Registered

Nice editing job. I should've quoted.

2. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Yeah but I'm 3rd Generation from Germany too BT. My great grand parents moved because of that crap back then. Not ALL Germans are Nazi's.
    What I meant was some countries just do not like the U.S. and for different reason's the Nazi's would have.

3. BigThor God of Thunder

Yep, too late now ;)

4. Still A ThorFan Registered

All I really want is for Thor to beat POTC which opens in Thor's 3rd week. I can't believe people will still flock to the theaters to see Johnny Depp in that stupid pirate costume and wearing eyeliner like a girl.

5. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I doubt it will.

6. BigThor God of Thunder

I agree with Corp, Thor's gonna have to do some Avatar type numbers to beat POTC in it's 3rd week.

But hey, atleast Thor is gonna have two weeks at number one before POTC comes out :up:

#56 BigThor, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  7. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Unless a movie opens super huge like Avatar, it's hard to expect any movie in it's third week to be a movie like POTC opening weekend.

A conservative number for Thor opening weekend would be 75 million, I hope for 100 plus, but I'm not sure what draw is going to be. I don't expect IM2 type numbers opening weekend, that would be a tall order for a non-sequel.

Remember the top two opening weekends for a non-sequel are Spider-man 1, which was 114, and Iron Man which was right around 100 million 7 years later.

Thor could set the record, if only for the 3D and inflationary factors, but it's still going to be tough, but in any case even at 150 opening it's not enough to be no 1 in it's 3rd week when POTC will probably open to at least 100.

8. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Sadly, the general public seems to be more excited for PotC 4 than Thor, too. I wouldn't even bet on Thor beating it in its opening weekend, if they both came out the same week.

9. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Thor is the new guy on the block where POTC is the known entity. IM1 faced similar competition with Indy 4, and to a lesser extent TDK, and IM1 held nicely.

The big thing will be, "is it a good movie?". If the thing gets G.I. Joe style reviews then forget about it. If the movie does well and gets positive reviews, then I think we can expect alot.

My wish is that Thor does "Star Trek" type box office, anything more is icing on the cake. For Cap my expectations are even less (150-200).

10. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I'll be interested in seeing Captain America's domestic vs. international numbers more than anything else.

11. BigThor God of Thunder

Exactly, Thor vs POTC wouldn't even be a fair competition because POTC is already established.

If Thor does "Stark Trek" type numbers then I will be satisfied, but I would be even happier if it does even more

#61 BigThor, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  12. Marvel Registered

Especially after the pure awfulness of those last two Pirate sequels. I liked the first Pirate film but have grown to hate the franchise. I honestly can't wait to bash On Stranger Tides and Hangover 2 around the Net because I think they're both unnecessary sequels that exist only to grab at the wallet. Even more reason to support Thor.

I'm one of those nuts that will only pay to see Marvel films all summer long. From May through September, any movie I see will be on a Marvel movie's ticket. I even get friends to do the same. If I have to see Pirates 4, I'll sneak in to see it after PAYING to see Thor. In June, I'll hand the keys to X-Men and then in July, Cap takes over until it's out of the cinema. It's what I do...

13. Marvin Registered

unlike Iron Man(1/2) Thor has some real competition in the subsequent weeks. so even if it's a better movie(possible) and even if it's more accessible(probably not) it won't do iron man numbers.

lol very true.

#63 Marvin, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  14. WildcatNC I'm on a BOAT ***** !

GOD only knows why. :whatever:

Same reason Jersey Shore is a massive success I suppose.

15. BigThor God of Thunder

We'll see:thor:

Iron Man 1 did a little over 585 million and yeah that is alot of money, but it's not nearly as unattainable as people are making it out to be.

16. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Well IM1 did about 60% of it's business domestic and 40% overseas. Much of this was due to them holding off IM1's Japanese release all the way until Sept. IM2 did damn near a 50/50 split between the two. I expect Thor to possibly have a greater overseas appeal than domestic(don't ask me why, it's just a feeling I've got) and I could see Thor's domestic take being only 40-45% of it's worldwide total. So if it were to do only Star Trek numbers domestic, it could still come close to IM1's WW total. Over 400M WW and we'll get a sequel.

17. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I've been wondering how Thor will do in Scandinavia a lot. It appeals to their ancestral myths and stuff, but there are also a lot of things that might put them off, like Marvel giving Loki's father his mythological mother's name. I imagine a lot more people would notice that kind of thing in Scandinavia than in the US. :)

18. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Considering just how little(read none at all) love Norse myths get in hollywood as opposed to the much better treated greek myths, I suspect they'll be happy to be getting anything about Thor as long as it's not half-assed. I don't expect lack of adherence to their old stories to be much of a problem.

19. Chewy REDACTED

20. yoshimura Registered

21. Chewy REDACTED

Why? Fast/Furious is a HUGE franchise in Australia

22. Raiden Wakanda Forever

Yeah, Norse mythology has gotten next to no interest from Hollywood until Thor comes along, whereas Greek mythology has appeared in movies like Clash of the Titans, Parcy Jackson, and TV shows like Xena and Hercules. Perhaps Thor's success will make Hollywood pay more attention to Norse gods in the future.

Fast Five is also the fifth movie in a very long-running franchise. But if Thor gets good WOM I think it will outlast Fast Five.

23. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Fast Five will also make alot in the U.S. And Thor comes out a week later, so I'm not going to lie, it's going to be hard for him to get on top. Unless this franchise is more frontloaded.

24. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Fast Five may open big in the U.S. but like it's predecessors it'll drop big on it's 2nd weekend. Thor should have no trouble being #1 on it's opening weekend.

25. Iron_Stark Pepperony 3000

There's no way Fast Five is going to beat Thor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.