Thor's box office competition

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Still A ThorFan, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hatebox Registered

That can't be disagreed with - that it might yet make 500m WW is an indisputable fact. :yay:

2. Chewy REDACTED

$5.5M Monday.

3. Raiden Wakanda Forever

That's pretty good. I hope it holds up on a day-to-day basis.

4. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Now I want to watch it sometime this week to contribute a bit...

5. The Morningstar Registered

I might go again next weekend.

6. Chewy REDACTED

Also made a little over 5M overseas on Monday. WW Total is over $250M.

7. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Looks like Monday is going to be about 5.5 million according to the BOM forums. a 67.5% drop, which is half way between Iron Man 2 and Star Trek. Decent numbers, I was hoping for 6, we'll see what the numbers are for Tuesday. I still think 32M this weekend is possible.

8. CaptainCraig Registered

I too was hoping for 6m(do you post at BOM also?) as well but I'll take it, still strong.
    So your going right down the middle with a 50% drop? That would be great, better than FF5 so I'd take that.
    The optimist in me is hoping that since FF5 has bled so much audience already and that Priest isn't a solid competitior that we might see an even better hold for THOR.

I'm going to shoot for the moon and hope for a 45% drop and call it more around $35-36m.

9. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I don't post at BOM, just a lurker. I'm hoping for a 50% drop, and I think it's got a pretty good shot. Like you said, F5 has bled it's audience, not really a film that you're going to see if you haven't already bought into the franchise.

Preist is going to finish 3rd the way it's traking and possibly lower considering Bridesmaids is getting farily positive reviews. When Pirates rolls around, Thor can still have strong legs without Pirates cutting into it's business. It will be in the teens by then and shouldn't haven anymore large drops percentage wise.

10. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

The monday number is fine but lets wait for the tues and wed numbers, those will tell the real story.

11. hatebox Registered

Of the 4 reviews I've seen, only 1 for Pirates has been negative. There's no way I'll be watching it because I find Sparrow unbearable now, but its drop in attendence from World's End may not be quite as big as I thought. Basically, Thor has a week and a half left to make up the vast bulk of its run. Which is fine, a sequel's in the bag now.

12. Spideyfan93 Hayley Atwell I love you!

I might be seeing Pirates the 20th or 21st depending on reviews. I'm a big fan of the trilogy and I love Captain Jack Sparrow. He's one of the best original characters of cinema of the last decade.

Might even go to the theater wearing the bandana with the dreads and beard. Thor will have a good run. I wouldn't worry about it.

13. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

My friend is actually excited for the new Pirates because she hates Kiera Knightley.

14. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

The Pirates franchise was never about critics. The first movie was excellent to the vast majority of people who saw it, thats why it had amazing legs.

The critics were never in love with the film series to begin with as they only liked the first movie. Overall I think that the new Pirate's reviews will be as tepid as the last two films were.

And I still only see 250mil at best for it. It looks trite but I might see it if I'm bored enough.

15. Chewy REDACTED

At least it's not as long as the third one.

16. Marvin Registered

There is a freakish amount of families anxious to see another disney pirates movie, about as many are as will go head off to disney land and them some. It's interesting how the internet will totally throw you off of what's really going down.

Pirates will be huge,
    critics will either
    1. show their fatigue in reviews(shame on them lol)
    2. go in with low expectations and give good reviews(shame on them)

17. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

No one really pays attention to critics anyway, though. If you really want to see something, you'll see it regardless of whether Ebert, Roeper, or anyone else calls it the biggest steaming pile of s*** ever. As well it should be. People should form their own opinions, no matter how devastatingly terrible they make the entire human race look (*cough* reality shows' insane popularity *cough*). ;)

18. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

I'm hoping it can make it to 120M by the end of the weekend and maybe 150M by the end of it's 3rd weekend. Probably stop somewhere in the 175-200M range.

19. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Unfortunately there is a segment that does but it depends on what movie we're talking about. A movie like Pirates 4 is critic proof since it largely has sold itself already in previous movies. A film like Thor(of Cap or GL for that matter) as an unknown is more dependant on critics at least on it's 1st time out.

20. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

True, for unknown quantities, I guess. But in my experience, most people make up their own minds whether they want to watch most big-budget movies, at least, based on trailers and never really bother to look at reviews. More often, they hear about the reviews later and judge the reviews based on whether they conform to their own opinions of the movie.

21. DieSmiling Can't Be Stopped

Agreed. People like to use Transformers 2 as an example of people not listening to critics, but TF already had a built in audience.

People are much more likley to check out Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic for an unknown film property. I know a lot of my friends do.

22. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Hmm, maybe I just have a weird bunch of friends, then.

23. TeenApeLives Registered

yeah I could give a crap what ANYONE thinks about movies-I go if I want to go and I like or hate what I want to hate, I have NEVER cared about "critics" or other peoples thoughts on flicks. It's all opinions. My friends don't care about this stuff either. We just go if the flick looks good to us, simple. If it sucks after the flick is done, well then it sucked, if it rocked or we were entertained, huzzah!

24. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I'm gonna see Pirates because the way I see it, they kept the best parts (Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush and the focus on the actual pirates in general), dropped the dead weight (Orlando and Keira), and added 2 massive upgrades (Ian McShane & Penelope Cruz), so the odds of it at least being more entertaining than the most recent installments are pretty darn good, imo.

I'm a little disappointed by Thor's Monday numbers (I too was hoping for about 6), but when dealing with weekdays, we're talking about such relatively small numbers in the first place, it's hard to label them one way or the other, good or bad. I'll be interested to see how much it makes over the full course of the week, though.

25. hatebox Registered

I find critic bashing tiresome - life is short and expensive and if I read enough reviews they often provide a consensus I'm liable to agree with. So yes, reviews may either encourage or put me off spending time and money seeing something.

Obviously a lot of big blockbusters are critic-proof, it's indie films that really depend on good notices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.