Thor's box office competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who doesn't love an Asgardian cougar. Great movie. Looking forward to Captain America.

I'm hoping that Thor gets the Bargain Tuesday bump that is so often seen. FF5 didn't get it, it dropped on it's first Tuesday. Hoping that THOR gets that bump and sees $6 today perhaps.

Apparently it made around 8.5M overseas on Tuesday :wow:

That's nice. So it's in the $260's now. Basically tied up with TIH's entire gross.

Should pass Fantastic Four's and X-men WW total, this weekend.

Yep, over the $300M hurdle by weekends end for sure.

As long as it made 3.2M domestically on Tuesday it will have passed TIH's entire WW gross.

Tuesday: $5,410,419

An increase from Monday :wow: and now officially Marvel Studios' 3rd highest grossing movie

An increase from Monday :wow: and now officially Marvel Studios' 3rd highest grossing movie

Yes, much better than the 3.2 million it needed to pass TIH's WW gross.

Well I knew it'd make more than 3.2 but I thought it'd be ~5M. If it holds up on Wednesday we're looking at a leggy run.

Where are people finding the time to see movies during the week? hahaha

Their contributions are appreciated.

Yeah up +0.1% from Monday's $5,403,057 gross.

$265,633,343 Worldwide

Great hold, I definitely think 32M is in play this weekend.

ha! I hear ya, but actually alot of people wait for the weekdays either because they work on the weekend or they want to avoid the weekend crowd. Also Tuesdays are typical for getting the bargain prices, but normally these are not seen in the first week of a release.

Yes, much better than the 3.2 million it needed to pass TIH's WW gross.

Granted that TIH also didn't have:

1)3-D aiding it's gross
2)IMAX aiding it's gross
3)The starting pole position of summer aiding it's gross
4)the lack of bad taste from a previous bomb inhibiting it's gross
5)inflation working in it's favor.

But even with all that taken into account I still expect Thor to prevail at the box office since it's the better film(but all those factors would narrow Thor's margin of victory).

mondays, tuesdays and wednesdays are usually 2-3€ cheaper around here. A LOT of people are going to the cinemas on weekday evenings in Austria in times when they charge 11€ for a ticket

Granted that TIH also didn't have:

1)3-D aiding it's gross
2)IMAX aiding it's gross
3)The starting pole position of summer aiding it's gross
4)the lack of bad taste from a previous bomb inhibiting it's gross
5)inflation working in it's favor.

But even with all that taken into account I still expect Thor to prevail at the box office since it's the better film(but all those factors would narrow Thor's margin of victory).

That's just a testament to how much Marvel got it's **** together now in terms of marketing.

well, they probably would've done better without 3D. higher ticket prices leads to less viewers.

That's why I wouldn't really use the "3D helped it out" excuse too much because it also got in the way of quite a bit of ticket sales as well.

IMAX: Thor Set Record Domestically, Hits Milestone Worldwide

During its opening weekend on IMAX, Thor earned $6.2 million on 213 screens for an average of $29,000, which is a record for a digital-only IMAX release. It also pulled in an additional $1 million internationally, lifting its totals to $4.5 million internationally after three weeks of release, while it reached a milestone with $10.7 million worldwide. With Fast Five still in many theaters and On Stranger Tides opening in less than two weeks and Kung Fu Panda 2 opening less than a week after that, Thor does not have a large window to earn a lot of money on IMAX.

http://www.the-numbers.com/interactive/newsStory.php?newsID=6187

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back