Thor's costume

Discussion in 'Thor' started by yoshimura, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigThor God of Thunder

It's not unrealistic it just wouldn't look as good in live action. Remember he has to look "somewhat" believable in the same world that the Iron Man films exist in.

Somethings simply look better in comics & animation than "live action". As long as they capture the "essence" of the character then im fine. Almost every comic book film makes some changes whether it's backstory or costume related .

#2676 BigThor, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. GhostPoet Registered

Yellow boots and blue pants would only work if Thor was visiting a Gay Pride parade.

3. BigThor God of Thunder

4. The_Mighty_Thor Stay thy hand troll!

Well he is the god of thunder and most rubber weather boots are yellow. It could be the most pratical costume in comics!

5. BigThor God of Thunder

Funny ^^^

I think his classic costume in the comics was great, I just like his more recent ones even more. The movie costume has grown to be one of my favorites.

#2680 BigThor, Dec 16, 2010
  6. storyteller Registered

Really I think a lot of comic book costumes would work. Its all about adjusting the material and color. Yellow and Blue on the right text at the right tint can work on film. But blinding putting down something out of a costume shop will run it.

7. BigThor God of Thunder

True, but I still think they made the best choice of colors for the film.

8. Son of Thunder Registered

I was originally thinking his legs needed more color too. But then started to reason that most of the money shots will end up being shot from his waist up anyway so you'll get a iconic costume feel through most of the movie. Just seening clips of the Frost Giant battle kind of proved this out. I watch those scenes and they scream iconic Thor to me because in motion, all my eyes are registering are dark top, silver disks, red cape and blond hair. That checks enough boxes for me.

#2683 Son of Thunder, Dec 16, 2010
  9. BigThor God of Thunder

The legs look cool to me

10. WildcatNC I'm on a BOAT ***** !

I definately think they went the right route with the costume. Looks great to me. I love that they didn't shy away from the grand, bold costumes, capes and colors.

Thors outfit should definately look more like armour than tights.

11. BigThor God of Thunder

^^^ Exactly

12. JAK® Upstart

Yeah, it's called adapting. It always makes me laugh when people say a costume won't work on screen. As seen earlier, I asked why and the answer always is "the colours, they are unrealistic" and "think of the general audience" which are silly answers without much thought put into them.

Colours are colours. What's so unrealistic about blue and yellow? And who has specified what shades to use? Why wouldn't, say, midnight blue and mustard yellow work on appropriate materials? Why must we assume that a comic-accurate costume is garishly-coloured and made of spandex?

Now I'm not bashing the costume we have, but the notion that Thor's comic costume is just too silly to work has yet to be proven.

13. BigThor God of Thunder

*sigh*...I believe Marvel Studios knows what works best on the big screen for their own character. If the blue pants & yellow boots fit the direction of the movie then they would've been chosen.

Now let's end this pointless debate & make due his costume because it is not going to change. :)

#2688 BigThor, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  14. BigThor God of Thunder

Let me clearify my statement

I didn't mean the yellow boots & blue pants would look "silly" per say, they just wouldn't fit the direction of this film.

15. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Using one of the worst dressed superheroes in the history of the medium to illustrate your point. Nice.

16. Whiskey Tango Registered

I wasn't trying to make a point, I'm not even involved in this arguement for ****'s sake. It was a joke post, Chris.

17. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I got the joke. I was contributing to it. SOmetimes it's hard to get the intent behind someone's words when you're reading them.
    Anyways-I was never under the impression that Thor's boots were yellow, but rather that they're black with yellow bands.

18. JAK® Upstart

I'm not arguing for change and I'm not even arguing about this movie in particular. I just disagree with the notion that a costume can be dismissed as 'unrealistic' because it happens to have bright colours, or worse, has somehow been deduced as being made out of 'tights'.
    I disagree, as one of the best things about this film is that it hasn't strayed from the distinctive look of the comics.

19. Asgardian For Odin, For Asgard

Neither the classic costume or the movie version are what I would call "Viking-like". I like them both, but the spandex superhero classic costume is a bit too unviking-like. The Coipel version is on the right track, and the movie version is just that...fit for a movie. I do like the armor look of his upper body, and the Ultimate look of his pants for the movie costume. A hodge podge of styles. Maybe what an Asgardian would wear in 2011.

20. JAK® Upstart

Thor's comic costume is made of paper and ink. What makes you assume that a live action, comic accurate costume would be made of spandex?

21. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I always figured it was a leather tunic over blue pants. Granted, the outside-undies are a bit hard to take seriously on regular superheroes, let alone a supposed god who walks the earth, so I'd have changed that. But the basic design could still work.

22. Vartha Mod of Thunder

heh I LIKE YOU hahaha

Yeah I would have LOVED to have seen Coipel's design or the King Thor outfit since (I worked at a Renaissance Faire) they are using the basic King Thor Helmet over the classic.

A Big example of the Classic (only ones I know of) Costume on flim is on commercials. one on a Got Milk and the WORST was a visa Checkcard. Both just would not have worked.

23. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Look, at the end of the day, the costume designers of the movie managed to get the big upward swoop of Thor's cape over his shoulders onto the screen in live-action in a plausible, good-looking way. I don't think we should be so quick to assume there's anything they couldn't have made work. ;)

24. JAK® Upstart

Sorry, but that's really stupid.

You think that was the best they could do it?

You think that a 150 Million Dollar production couldn't make the costume look better than that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are both the comic costume. Does the existence of the first image make the latter image impossible?

25. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Many fans like to think so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.