Thor's costume

Discussion in 'Thor' started by yoshimura, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

They've both been through a lot. As far as "main" looks go, they each have about two:

Wolverine
    1. Brown and tan
    2. Yellow and blue

Thor
    1. Classic Kirby
    2. Coipel redesign

2. BigThor God of Thunder

I kind of agree, I wouldn't say it "sucked" but it's definately not as good as the movie costume. It's also not nearly as good as the Coipel redesign, although the classic costume does work in the Avengers EMH cartoon.

3. JAK® Upstart

I see your point, and counter with the fact that in comics blonde people have bright yellow hair.
    Opinions. I say that a classic Thor suit would be easier to present in a way that looks good in live action than Wolverine's.

4. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Do they still highlight black hair with blue highlights in comics nowadays?

Most times you only see blue highlights in real life are on old women.

5. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I highlight Black leather with blue tho I use grays too :D

6. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Yes. It tends to be a darker more greyish blue than they used to use (they have a wider color pallette to play with these days) but it's still the preferred method to highlight black hair.

On that a little bit of trivia...I don't know about Thor but with Spider-Man the blue on his costume was originally intended to be black. The colorists highlighted it the same way as they did hair (and they still do this with other black costumes) and after a short time the idea that it was blue all along had stuck.

7. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Thor's costume was originally black except for his pants. A lot of people actually remember that it's supposed to be black, though. Even as recently as Civil War, where the clone of Thor showed up wearing his classic Kirby costume, it was black with blue pants.

8. roach I am the night

Pretty much the same thing with Moon Knight. The way he was originally drawn and designed his body was supposed to be blacksuit was to be black and the cape and hood were supposed to be silver....however due to inking and coloring constraints it looked all white....which caught on with everyone

9. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

I think its a little easier with Thor as artists generally remember to spot the blacks on the tunic/shorts, and the 'proper' light blue on the pants helps with the contrast as well.
    With characters like Cyclops though I know a lot of people think his classic suit is a dark blue, but like all the X-Mens original uniforms, it was meant to be black (the confusion comes when you get someone like Storm in panel with him, also wearing black, but highlighted with no color at all).

10. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Yeah, it's weird. Some characters they just don't even bother to highlight stuff--I guess the intent is for those outfits to look like more of a matte black rather than a shiny leather texture. Thor tends to be one of those, especially in the Kirby and Simonson runs, which are probably the most popular. That may be why it's better remembered with him, in addition to the "real" blue of the pants being there for contrast.

11. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Actually Moonknight was mostly Silver with black inner legs. I was a BIG Werewolf by Night fan at one point.
    The glider cape was shaped like a moon and the whole costume had actual Silver IN it because he was supposed to kill Jack Russell/Werewolf.
    the only black in the original costume was inside the legs.
    [​IMG]

12. roach I am the night

[​IMG]in an interview with Moench he describes that its all black save the cape. Marvel came out with a few figures colored correctly

#2762 roach, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  13. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Yeah that's AFTER Don Perlin. Sinkevich redesigned Moonknight in the Hulk Mag back in the day.

14. Spider-X Big damn hero

In before Thread Merger! Boo ya!

15. Thread Manager Moderator

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread [split]346859HERE[/split]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.