Thor's costume

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't get the bile towards all things ultimate. I love both. Although thanks to Jeph Loeb the ultimate universe has practically been ruined, for me. *shrug*

Well, to be perfectly honest...I've never read a single issue of anything "Ultimate". I 'd probably enjoy some of it. It's just that books I've leafed through and notice the things they've changed just seem like and assault on my childhood. I don't mean to sound like a non progressive,old fogie. I just look at things and say...why are the FF so skinny and young? They did what to Nick Fury? (and I have no problem with Samuel L). All I'm saying is I'd love it to be the Thor I grew up with. Crazy pseudo, Shakespearean King's English language, rainbowbridge, and hyper dramatic Thor acting like the very universe was at stake all the time. For all I know he still does all those things in another realm.

Yeah, it sucks doesn't it. You have something that worked and generally look a certain way for over 40 years and one person changes it completely and its like the old stuff never happened. I understand translation and evolution but Hitch took it too far with some of his designs.

I would. Weta's great and all, but we've already seen their take on high fantasy. Put them on something with so similar a subject and we'll inevitably see LotR-derivative designs and stuff. That's just what happens when you get the same people working on such similar subjects.

That's what I would hope. It could serve as visual anchor for the mainstream audience who need a reason to take Thor seriously. As long as the designers make a conscious effort to maintain elements of Thor's comic look, it would be fine.

Yeah, it sucks doesn't it. You have something that worked and generally look a certain way for over 40 years and one person changes it completely and its like the old stuff never happened. I understand translation and evolution but Hitch took it too far with some of his designs.

I look at it this way: now we have TWO Thors in TWO different universes. I don't think the Ultimate-verse changed/raped/invalidated all the old stuff I used to read in the 80s. To be honest, I found the Ultimates a very refreshing and amusing take on the Avengers. It has a sense of humor that I love. Cap is a real badass and Thor is charming and witty and yeah, a little radical in his beliefs. But that doesn't mean that all that 616 stuff didn't happened. I see it as two different - and great - interpretations.

What I really hate, tough, is the Ultimates vol.3. Loeb and Madureira managed to do something that's offensive (not because of canon disrespect, but because of lack of quality) both to 616 and Ultimate fans.

Bottom line: if you like 616, you can ignore Ultimate... and vice-versa. I like 'em both for different reasons, so it's win-win to me. :cwink:

The only problem with that idea is when filmmakers want to completely disregard the 616 stuff and go with the Ultimate versions. It was a slap in the face to 616 fans that the very first DTV animated feature we got out of the Marvel/Lionsgate deal was a rehash of the Ultimates with the word "Avengers" tacked on where it had no business being. The Ultimates are not the Avengers. I can respect them as their own thing, but not if filmmakers start passing them off as the main versions of those characters. That's why I get antsy whenever I see Ultimate ideas being tossed around for the Thor movie, too.

Yeah, I can understand that. It kind of sucks. And there's a lot of Ultimateverse influences in the latest Marvel movies (Spider-Man included). Sometimes I think it's less of an Ultimateverse influence than the fact that titles like The Ultimates were taylor-made for the movie medium. I have read somewhere that the vol 1 - 2 creative team actually treated the series as if they were making a movie, with a very cinematic feel. Maybe that's the reason the Marvel Studio guys are using so many stuff from the Ultimates in the Iron Man and Incredible Hulk movies. Less trouble to adapt it to another medium. Lazy bastards!

Last edited:
Yeah, Canis I hear ya. I'm not going to lie and say I despise everything Ultimate cause I did enjoy it for what it is, like you say, another take on what we know. But Corp kind of hit what I was trying to get at way better than I could. The thing is I don't want people getting the wrong impression of Thor again when he is shown to the general audience. Remember Thor in the Incredible Hulk TV special, that was just atrocious. I don't want Thor being misrepresented again with the ultimate version this time.

Yeah, you can't imagine how many jokes I had to hear from my friends back in school because of that TV Thor. :cmad:

I tell you, my teenage years were no picnic. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Well, I hear the script is great and Branagh is a Shakespeare connoisseur himself, so we should at least get better dialogue out of the Asgardians than we got from Thor in that terrible Hulk TV movie.

Well, I hear the script is great and Branagh is a Shakespeare connoisseur himself, so we should at least get better dialogue out of the Asgardians than we got from Thor in that terrible Hulk TV movie.

Yes, that is very affirming and positive news to hear. Those two bits there have me stoked.

And hey guys, don't get me wrong...every thing needs to re-invent itself and reinvigorate a franchise. I get that. Not everything can be Blondie and Dagwood where he looks and acts exactly the same for 60 yrs. I just prefer the original. Still a lot to mine from there in my opinion without reinventing it. A lot of the Spider-Man stories they've drawn from were around the time of Romita and Ross Andru. My two favorite SM artists. Check out some Andru if you never have. Talk about cinematic. His own colleagues said that of him. My childhood. My favorite.

Well, to be perfectly honest...I've never read a single issue of anything "Ultimate". I 'd probably enjoy some of it. It's just that books I've leafed through and notice the things they've changed just seem like and assault on my childhood. I don't mean to sound like a non progressive,old fogie. I just look at things and say...why are the FF so skinny and young? They did what to Nick Fury? (and I have no problem with Samuel L). All I'm saying is I'd love it to be the Thor I grew up with. Crazy pseudo, Shakespearean King's English language, rainbowbridge, and hyper dramatic Thor acting like the very universe was at stake all the time. For all I know he still does all those things in another realm.
Thor does, actually. Nick Fury's just a different skin color, IMO. Some people just hate it no matter what but I grew up with the 616 Marvel, too, as their was no ultimate Marvel in the 80's and 90's. :hehe: I still enjoy the Ultimate renditions. In case of the Avengers I actually prefer The Ultimates (Yes, I know, BLASPHEMY!!! :oldrazz:). The characters, for the most part, are still who they are, they just look different and most are 'edgier'. Backstories have been changed for some, as well, but the end result is still the same guy/gal at heart. And regardless of that, Ultimate Spidey and Avengers were just better written than their 616 counterparts at the time. Thanks to Jeph Loeb that's certainly not the case with the latter anymore, but oh well, every title has it's piss-poor runs.

After seeing some of the uninspired arguments against it, I just say 'to each his own' on Ultimate Marvel, now, as it's clear that some just won't accept it at all simply because it's different. But, if you haven't actually read it I'd suggest giving it a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised. It's nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe. They act like it's complete blasphemy and horribly written with art from a 6 year old with a box of Crayolas. Ultimate titles weren't outselling the original not long ago just by some odd miracle. They're actually pretty darn good.

I look at it this way: now we have TWO Thors in TWO different universes. I don't think the Ultimate-verse changed/raped/invalidated all the old stuff I used to read in the 80s. To be honest, I found the Ultimates a very refreshing and amusing take on the Avengers. It has a sense of humor that I love. Cap is a real badass and Thor is charming and witty and yeah, a little radical in his beliefs. But that doesn't mean that all that 616 stuff didn't happened. I see it as two different - and great - interpretations.

What I really hate, tough, is the Ultimates vol.3. Loeb and Madureira managed to do something that's offensive (not because of canon disrespect, but because of lack of quality) both to 616 and Ultimate fans.

Bottom line: if you like 616, you can ignore Ultimate... and vice-versa. I like 'em both for different reasons, so it's win-win to me. :cwink:
:up:

Last edited:
I want Thor in his original costume that Jack Kirby created for Marvel!

Tone down the colors if you want, but definitely the original costume, that's the real Thor and not all these reinventions that have come over the years!

I'm mostly worried about the winged helmet, how it's going to work in the film. Excluding the wings or the helmet is out of the question.

I think the winged helmet will look fine to be honest.

Just go 1 page back. You'll see some awesome winged helmets. They didn't make that up in the comics.

I don't see any problem with the helmet. It looks cool and fits the character.

Should the feathers be metal or actual feathers? I would've thought metal at first, but then I searched Google and started finding pictures like these:

winged_helmet.jpg

158596c80.jpg

Now I think real feathers might be the way to go. Not black-tipped, though.

The top ones perfect! just like that! does it come in Skarsgard size?:cwink:

The top ones perfect! just like that! does it come in Skarsgard size?:cwink:
I liked that one when I saw it, too. I'd prefer the modern helmet, with the sloping middle section that acts as a nose guard, though. It makes Thor look a bit fiercer.

I want Thor in his original costume that Jack Kirby created for Marvel!

Tone down the colors if you want, but definitely the original costume, that's the real Thor and not all these reinventions that have come over the years!

Have to admit (and I know this invites heated debate) but I'm with you brother.

Really? The Kirby costume exactly as it is in the comics, outside-undies and all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88