Tim Burton Developing ‘Addams Family’ Series, 'Wednesday' Starring Jenna Ortega

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
Tim Burton Is Making An ‘Addams Family’ TV Series – Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: In what would mark his first major live-action TV series, Tim Burton is setting his sights on The Addams Family, looking to develop a new series focused on the famous clan. Sources tell Deadline that Burton is negotiating to executive produce and possibly direct all episodes of this new take on the franchise.

Smallville
developers/executive producers Alfred Gough and Miles Millar will be head writers on the show and serve as showrunners as well as exec producers along with Burton.

MGM TV, which controls underlying rights to the IP, financed the development of the series. As of right now, the package has multiple buyers bidding for it, including Netflix, which sources say is at the top of the list of landing the project.

While not confirmed, sources say the new live-action series would be set in present times and be from the perspective of Wednesday Addams and what the world would look like to her in 2020.

I'm shocked it took him this long.

New Addams Family show? Yes!

Grown-up Wednesday is the star? Ehhh...

Centered around Wednesday in today's time reminds me of that web series "Adult Wednesday Addams," which I really liked.

But as has been said and always will be said, this is right up Burton's alley. Looking forward to another live-action series, as I really liked the original 60s show. I also really really love Carolyn Jones as Morticia.

mSjttwz.gif

This certainly sounds a million times better than the animated movie they made last year. Glad they're doing something a bit different.

Little piece of trivia, Burton turned down directing the 1991 film.

He also was going to do a stop-motion film version about a decade ago.

If they insist on grown up Wednesday Addams as the hook, they better bring back Christina Ricci. Literally no excuse whatsoever.

now it has me thinking about Raul Julia :(

If they insist on grown up Wednesday Addams as the hook, they better bring back Christina Ricci. Literally no excuse whatsoever.

now it has me thinking about Raul Julia :(

That would be awesome if she came back!

I'd like it. But then it would have people assume the continuity of the 90s film series, which I'm assuming this is not doing.

I’m positive every other member of the family will still be part of the cast, even if it’s from Wednesday’s POV.

You cant call it The Addams Family if they arent heavily featured tbh.

As others said...Christina Ricci should play the role and just recast the family around her.

I also think this would be better suited for streaming (though not Netflix cause im mad at them) and if you got Tim Burton then you need $$$. Now if only The Munsters reboot had gotten picked up....I need a new Bryan Fuller series in my life.

You cant call it The Addams Family if they arent heavily featured tbh.

As others said...Christina Ricci should play the role and just recast the family around her.

I also think this would be better suited for streaming (though not Netflix cause im mad at them) and if you got Tim Burton then you need $$$. Now if only The Munsters reboot had gotten picked up....I need a new Bryan Fuller series in my life.

Now I wish Bryan Fuller was involved with this as the showrunner! :csad:

Now I wish Bryan Fuller was involved with this as the showrunner! :csad:

He'd only stick around for one season, if that.

As for Christina Ricci...that's actually a hell of a good idea and, if it happened, would be a nice way to continue the story of the films. For one, I think generally speaking, people like those films. Plus, everything in the world seems be getting a revival or sequel, like Full House or Roseanne or Saved by the Bell or Will and Grace, to name a few. Why not The Addams Family? But then, you obviously don't have Raul Julia around to play Gomez. Sad, and still upset that he's gone because he was a hell of an actor. Yes, I even liked him as M. Bison.

I know some people will bemoan Burton remaking another property, but this one intrigues me. He has been circling this property for so long and I'm glad he is finally getting a stab at it. Plus, taking it to streaming increases my interest more than it would if it was just another film.

Let's see what he does with it.

I wonder if Christina Ricci would be considered too old for Wednesday at 40 (as I imagine they will put the character at her late teens/early 20s), but she'd also be perfect as Morticia Adams.

Again, I can’t see Tim Burton wanting to inherit Barry Sonnenfeld’s film continuity, as great as they were. I assume he wants to do a sequel to the original Charles Addams comic which has quite a few differences - and he’d also avoid people bemoaning new actors as the rest of the cast.

A grown up Wednesday is a cool take. With Burton attached, you can tell he has something to say but with a unique perspective.

I hope to God this isn't an hour long 13 episode series. Please spare me. Please, I'm sure whatever older Wednesday is going through, it does not warrant that many that a feature can't do. Make them 20 minutes or a half an hour five episodes and I'll be dandy.

I watched the two movies recently and I really enjoyed them. The second was better too. My favorite joke. :funny:

8312e4d29776da38814bcbb8f71f0fde.gif

Even through all the bad I still kind of worship at the altar of Burton. By no means a top tier filmmaker but certainly great on a good day.

Truly an inspiration to weirdos everywhere.

Who cares he almost made something starring Superman that would probably have bugged me.

That's all that ever happens with the character in movies anyway.

A grown up Wednesday is a cool take. With Burton attached, you can tell he has something to say but with a unique perspective.

I hope to God this isn't an hour long 13 episode series. Please spare me. Please, I'm sure whatever older Wednesday is going through, it does not warrant that many that a feature can't do. Make them 20 minutes or a half an hour five episodes and I'll be dandy.

I watched the two movies recently and I really enjoyed them. The second was better too. My favorite joke. :funny:

8312e4d29776da38814bcbb8f71f0fde.gif

My favourite moment from Values was the cake scene:
“Lurch, was she in there before you baked?”

Values is the best movie.

How is this the not popular opinion?

The camp subplot is ecstacy and Wednesday is a goddess in the film. The play scene is absolute perfection.

Then Joan Cusack is so brilliant.

Malibu Barbie!

Last edited:
Incidentally, I don't think I've seen the entirety of Addams Family Values. No real reason, I just don't think I ever completed the movie. Or at the very least, I've seen it in bits and pieces. I've seen the first one, but now need to find some time to fit in the sequel.

Incidentally, I don't think I've seen the entirety of Addams Family Values. No real reason, I just don't think I ever completed the movie. Or at the very least, I've seen it in bits and pieces. I've seen the first one, but now need to find some time to fit in the sequel.

You should watch it! It’s hilarious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"